ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tourney Game #1: Gonzaga Game Thread

Slow down offense is the answer to a fourteen pt comeback inn the final 250 seconds. Need to push it.

Sabonis has the same game I have when I play my 10 & under grandsons. Guy has game and SH has ad no answer for him.

This was tough, but 25 wins, 12-6/3rd in BE, BET champs, our first NCAA bid in 10 years. I'll take it.

Now Ish is out...all the stars aligned against us tonight...no whining though, sometimes it's just that kinda night. Let's all just hope Whitehead comes back next year which would be huge and keep this program headed back in the right direction.

I could live with losing but expected better. Bad all around. Not much positive tonight. Not sure how this does not impact whiteheads draft stock. Just set a record.

Gordon taking 10 shots is like a QB passing for 300 yards because his team is playing from behind.

Carrington and Rodriguez, and Delgado, should be the guys taking those shots, but when this team is out of synch, everything gets out of sorts in a bad way.

It's why they are 21-0 at the half and 4-8 when down. They unravel way too easily when the chips are down and can't recover.

Whitehead 4-24, 0-10 from 3. That is the stat line that is where the problem was tonight. Simple as that, when you don't make your open shots and shoot that poorly given the number of shots taken, that is the reason for defeat. A normal night for him and we win going away. Neither of these two will be in the 16.

Great year, horrible night.

Let's all hope for a very motivated IW coming back next year. Would be a seasoned top 10 team that could do some damage.

Rooting for our other Big East brethren Xavier, Providence, Nova and Butler in the tourney now.

Tough loss. Not much to say. Unfortunate that this will likely be Whitehead's last game as a Pirate. Was a VERY winnable game - we got Wiltjer's C minus game. Unfortuntely they got C's for most of our guys and a F for our best player.

Overall great season. As much as this stings, I'll never forget last week as a fan. One of the my fondest memories in YEARS.

Gordon taking 10 shots is like a QB passing for 300 yards because his team is playing from behind.

Carrington and Rodriguez, and Delgado, should be the guys taking those shots, but when this team is out of synch, everything gets out of sorts in a bad way.

It's why they are 21-0 at the half and 4-8 when down. They unravel way too easily when the chips are down and can't recover.

Reactions: SHUMA04
For you Big East fans, this game was eerily reminiscent of the St. John's loss to Gonzaga in Denver during Lavin's first year. SJU had a great season, DJ Kennedy blew his knee out in the BE tourney game (costing them a seed), and they got shipped to play the Zags in the high altitude. Was a much better Gonzaga team they lost to, but had the same feel as this loss.

Tough loss. Not much to say. Unfortunate that this will likely be Whitehead's last game as a Pirate. Was a VERY winnable game - we got Wiltjer's C minus game. Unfortuntely they got C's for most of our guys and a F for our best player.

Overall great season. As much as this stings, I'll never forget last week as a fan. One of the my fondest memories in YEARS.

BE 3-1 today, we were the doormat.

I don't know if I've ever seen a worse shooting display as I have tonight.

What the hell can account for this? As Vince says a normal shooting night and we win easily.

Part of it was the law of averages catching up to us. We played a bit over our head in the Big East tourney -- everyone was pretty terrific. And tonight everyone save for Gordon was pretty bad.

I just cannot believe how poorly they played.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Why do they play games in Denver? Such a disadvantage to the East coast kids. This will be hard to swallow but I will take a banner at the Rock over a win or two in the NCAA. Kids will learn and get better from this experience. 25-9. Now time to get the golf clubs ready.

Why do they play games in Denver? Such a disadvantage to the East coast kids. This will be hard to swallow but I will take a banner at the Rock over a win or two in the NCAA. Kids will learn and get better from this experience. 25-9. Now time to get the golf clubs ready.
It's called $$$$$.

Why do they play games in Denver? Come on... Why stop there: Why do they play in Utah, or in Albuquerque.... How come it wasn't a problem for UALR? How come it wasn't an issue when other SHU teams won in Denver or Utah? Oh, UALR got to play in the afternoon, that must be it... Enough with the excuses... The team just got beat tonight. It happens. These games aren't supposed to be easy.

Reactions: SHUSource
Then play the game on F, not th to give the teams that have to travel an extra day to adjust. I suspect we would have lost anyway given the performance but my point was that efforts should be made to have as level a playing field as possible. Yale played a game in Providence, probably helped those kids perform better. Not making excuses.

The point is, Little Rock isn't 5,250 feet above sea level. Just like Spokane isn't a short drive from Denver.

Maybe we should revise history and say that Indiana wasn't handed their worst Tournament loss ever in '89 because of Seton Hall's fierce D. I guess it was they couldn't adapt on a Thursday night to the altitude.

You'd also think the Denver Nuggets should be the best team in the NBA, but they stink. How is that possible?

Look, they just got beat last night. It happens. Move on from the excuses.

Reactions: SHUSource
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT