ADVERTISEMENT

Nova / MD

No inbounds plays and he’s only missed one of the last 1 of the last 7 tournaments. Maybe inbounds plays are overrated. Lot of coaches running inbounds plays across the country wishing they been to 6 of the last 7 tournaments.

Chris Mullin and Patrick Ewing had better inbounds plays what did it get them? People looking to throw shade at the guy so of all the things we can find we choose inbounds plays as the thing to throw shade at. Inbounds plays take up 30 seconds of a game. The guy must be doing ok in the grand scheme of things the other 39:30 to be a tournament team every year. It’s like guys with hundreds of millions bitching they’re not billionaires. Life is good when inbounds plays is the thing to bitch about.
Just another example of why some fans were content with Willard and others wanted to see more growth.

So because they were a good team there was no reason to improve this element of their game?

You mean if they were in a close tournament game it would be acceptable to your standards to throw a football style pass into your own backcourt (risky a potential pick 6 turnover) four to five times a game, instead of having 3-4 set plays to maybe get an easy bucket here or there?

Do you remember how many times Tommy Amaker stole an easy bucket with a simple back screen lob to Gary Saunders or Eddie Griffin?

One in bounds play to Sandro doesn’t make up for the stubbornness to not improve an element of the game that was lacking.

Haven't paid attention to Maryland but they are 1-4? Wow! I can only imagine how that fan base is feeling right now.

Just another example of why some fans were content with Willard and others wanted to see more growth.

So because they were a good team there was no reason to improve this element of their game?

You mean if they were in a close tournament game it would be acceptable to your standards to throw a football style pass into your own backcourt (risky a potential pick 6 turnover) four to five times a game, instead of having 3-4 set plays to maybe get an easy bucket here or there?

Do you remember how many times Tommy Amaker stole an easy bucket with a simple back screen lob to Gary Saunders or Eddie Griffin?

One in bounds play to Sandro doesn’t make up for the stubbornness to not improve an element of the game that was lacking.
You might as well go bitch about national championship coaches too. Are there areas Bill Self, Tom Izzo, John Calipari need to improve on? Of course. Those issues come up in tournament games too. There is always room to grow no matter who you are. If you're not growing, you're dying. So if you're going bitch about imperfections, even if we go deep in the tournament Sha has flaws, I'll expect countless posts of his imperfections. Willard needed to grow in 100 areas over his time here. He may have improved in 99 areas, but the 1 you think he didn't gets crucified on. Really stupid. I hope you disect your own life in similar fashion and rip yourself a new one daily on what you have not improved on over time, unless of course you are God's gift to humanity. In which case bless you for being here.

I can't even make this up. There's a side inbounds play video that uses Seton Hall inbounds plays. Check out the 4:40 mark on. Maybe you can talk to the narrator and tell him he's wrong when he says Seton Hall has one of the most extensive playbooks when it comes to sideline out of bounds plays. The guy is probably a little more unbiased than you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: walshtrips
Our inbounds plays early were ridiculous. But they got better but imo it was an easy joke to make and we got it. Also, i hear announcers saying ridiculous crap all the time.

Our inbounds plays early were ridiculous. But they got better but imo it was an easy joke to make and we got it. Also, i hear announcers saying ridiculous crap all the time.
It was an easy joke to make because early on they were terrible. Party because we didn't have the athletes good enough to get open. But like you said we got better. Anyone who objectively watched us and thought we were throwing the ball backcourt most times the last 7 years of Willard's tenure is either a moron or just hater who wants to see things blindly.

It was an easy joke to make because early on they were terrible. Party because we didn't have the athletes good enough to get open. But like you said we got better. Anyone who objectively watched us and thought we were throwing the ball backcourt most times the last 7 years of Willard's tenure is either a moron or just hater who wants to see things blindly.
we absolutely did it during the good run.

I can recall countless times Carrington had to run into the backcourt to track down one of those chucks.

But what you fail to realize is this was just “an example” of what frustrated some fans.

Here is another…

Willard actually said he didn’t practice boxing out because he was afraid of the injuries that occur with those kind of drills. Then we watched teams that notoriously didn’t box out well and lost the BET semifinal because Desi stood around watching while Josh Hart swooped in for the offensive rebound and the game winning bucket.

Yet I watched a documentary on Calapari which they showed practice film of his team with Anthony Davis absolutely killing each other in boxing out drills and he is screaming “do it again”. I saw the eventual number 1 overall pick going as hard as you would in a game on these practice drills.

Did PJ teams decide to not box out or practice the skill?

When you are little old Seton Hall you have to do all the small things to be your best. I never played at a high level but was always a student of the game. Knowing how to do all the fundamentals of the sport can sometimes help you close the gap or overcome your opponent. Villanova obviously had talented players under Jay Wright, and yet they were still as fundamentally sound as it gets. It was beautiful basketball to watch and when they were on they wouldn’t just beat you, they would embarrass you. And oh yeah make final fours and win national titles.

we absolutely did it during the good run.

I can recall countless times Carrington had to run into the backcourt to track down one of those chucks.

But what you fail to realize is this was just “an example” of what frustrated some fans.

Here is another…

Willard actually said he didn’t practice boxing out because he was afraid of the injuries that occur with those kind of drills. Then we watched teams that notoriously didn’t box out well and lost the BET semifinal because Desi stood around watching while Josh Hart swooped in for the offensive rebound and the game winning bucket.

Yet I watched a documentary on Calapari which they showed practice film of his team with Anthony Davis absolutely killing each other in boxing out drills and he is screaming “do it again”. I saw the eventual number 1 overall pick going as hard as you would in a game on these practice drills.

Did PJ teams decide to not box out or practice the skill?

When you are little old Seton Hall you have to do all the small things to be your best. I never played at a high level but was always a student of the game. Knowing how to do all the fundamentals of the sport can sometimes help you close the gap or overcome your opponent. Villanova obviously had talented players under Jay Wright, and yet they were still as fundamentally sound as it gets. It was beautiful basketball to watch and when they were on they wouldn’t just beat you, they would embarrass you. And oh yeah make final fours and win national titles.
Of course we did it. Every team in America will throw a few inbounds deep into the backcourt. It just wasn't an every time occurrence like you want to believe it was. But you know your point is stupid when you can't talk about Aiken, Richmond or McKnight. You have to go back as far as Carrington. Good one.

And every coach has a philosphy on how they train their guys. Willard wasn't a fan of boxing out drills and he wasn't a fan of working out his guys hard come February, probably something he picked up from Pitino. I bet Raf and PJ worked guys hard in February because that was the old school way. Is that the only right way? Doubt it. I'll bet there are a number of coaches who have basketball beliefs that you disagree with, like Pitino, who oh yeah went to final fours and won national titles. PJ is not the Gospel and that's the only way to do things, the PJ way.

I haven't like SHU's boxing out from when Orr left to this current team. It's been consistently bad. However I look around the country and the game has changed to where you see more guys going after the ball than finding a man to box out. You see a lot less bodies being tangled up in todays game than you did in the 80s and 90s for that reason.

Last edited:
That was ugly both ways. From the Maryland perspective, Willard was brought into what was considered from Maryland’s view a rebuilding year. He had an unexpectedly good season. This year he lost 6’8” Hart to NOVA and is starting two freshmen. It’s a terrible start so we’ll see we’re it goes from here. More interesting is that after the initial burst, Nova didn’t look too great either.

I posted the first part of this in the other Willard thread but it applies more here:

That was as bad a performance as I've seen a P6 team put up in some time.

It reminded me of a couple of those losses at RU -- one with Blaney and one with Amaker plus the time we lost at 'Nova with Amaker and were out of it before we even left the layup line.

Maryland can't shoot and they kept hoisting threes last night. 36.6% FGP and 21.6% on threes in four games.

On the inbounds play stuff, which I think is largely a load of crap personally, Villanova runs Willard's old playbook all the time. If I had a drink every time they passed 75 feet back to their defensive free throw line last night, I would have been drunk long before game's end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT