ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tom Coughlin

therealjustintuck91As I sit back and reflect on Coach Tom Coughlin, I remember all the one on ones in your office talking football, game plan, etc. I think back to when I was named captain and I used to try and beat you to the facility. I would get there at 6, you where there. I got there at 530 and you were there. 5 am... I knew I would beat you then.. NOPE YOU WERE THERE. I remember feeling the hood of your car and it was cold. Come to find out there were nights you slept in the office. No one worked harder, no one demanded more and I LOVE YOU for it. I chose this picture for one reason and one reason only. Everyone knows you for your dedication to your team and how intense you are on the football field. But I will remember you for helping me become a man and challenging all of us to be better husbands and fathers and men. You did it the right way Coach. And you might be retiring from coaching but I'm sure this isn't a goodbye. That's not in your nature. #halloffame#5minutesearly#areyoush*ttingme

Last edited:
Reactions: Section112
The outpouring for Coughlin by his former players continue. Really something unique. You don't see this often.

Antrel Rolle

This picture really needs no caption! As a player who has been in this league 11years and can say they have pretty much seen it all.... I want to say Thank you to Coach TC and it really has been an extreme pleasure. What we accomplished as a Unit meaning player/coach relationship is a given. Maybe I wasn't used to your ways and I am sure u weren't used to mine but in the end we accomplished something that no one could ever take away... A BOND!! One that will alway travel beyond what anyone can ever imagine. I want to thank coach for always being himself LOYAL CARING HONEST!! Some players appreciate it and some players need it. I know which one I was. Wishing coach the best as he will always be the coach with THE SMILE!! You are MY GUY and that will never change. As my mom will call him.... See you soon #UncleTC #HallOfFame #legend #UncleTC #TheSmile #FiveMinutesEarly #FirstClassAllTheWay

Steve Weatherford

He’s a very special person to me. I wouldn’t be the leader that I am in the community or the father that I am to my children or the husband that I am to my wife without having been able to grow and learn under a person like that. When you think of Tom Coughlin, there are several things you think of and it’s integrity and class and excellence at football, but he’s so much more than what he is on the field. He’s the finest man I ever met.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/steve-weatherford-on-tom-coughlin-hes-the-finest-man-i-ever-met

Last edited:
This team sorely missed Rolle and Tuck's leadership. If Rolle was on this team, there's no way the OBJ stuff lasted as long as it did against the Panthers. Eli leads by example, but they need a vocal leader as well. Bringing in a high character veteran in the offseason should be a top priority.

This team sorely missed Rolle and Tuck's leadership. If Rolle was on this team, there's no way the OBJ stuff lasted as long as it did against the Panthers. Eli leads by example, but they need a vocal leader as well. Bringing in a high character veteran in the offseason should be a top priority.

Agreed. It showed itself this season. The Giants had those runs to 2 championships because they drafted outstanding players both in terms of ability and character, and also signed FA's of the same ilk. I made mention of Antonio Pierce early, but also Shaun O'Hara and obvious Antrel Rolle.

This is an important point and also ties into with the personnel issues we've been discussing. The team right now is a bunch of mercenaries who have not been Giants for long or very young players from only the 2014-15 draft. Zero continuity other than Eli. Where was the leadership?

It's been a culture of losing for 3 seasons. This is why I'd clean house. If one goes, they all go.

Last edited:
Agreed. It showed itself this season. The Giants had those runs to 2 championships because they drafted outstanding players both in terms of ability and character, and also signed FA's of the same ilk. I made mention of Antonio Pierce early, but also Shaun O'Hara and obvious Antrel Rolle.

This is an important point and also ties into with the personnel issues we've been discussing. The team right now is a bunch of mercenaries who have not been Giants for long or very young players from only the 2014-15 draft. Zero continuity other than Eli. Where was the leadership?

Players do not all of the sudden become leaders, in my opinion. Most have been leaders at every level of the game and scouting should be able to dictate which college prospects possess this quality. The core of the championship teams had leaders on both sides of the ball. Diehl, O'Hara, and others on offense; Strahan, Tuck, Pierce, and Rolle on defense. Those players contributions stretch far beyond their impact on the field.

Reese failed to adequately replace the aging starters. By the time he did, they were being thrown into the starting lineup at important positions as rookies and second year players. This also greatly impacted the depth of the team - there wasn't and isn't much behind the young players. Look at the Bengals, who have arguably the most talent of any team in the NFL. This past year they took two offensive linemen with their first two picks. They've started a combined single game for the entire season. They were drafted for the future and will eventually slide into the starting lineup once their older players decline. Reese should have started this process much earlier.

For example, after the Giants 2011 Super Bowl victory, Reese selected a RB in the 1st (Wilson), a WR in the 2nd (Randle), a CB in the 3rd (Hosley), a TE in the 4th (Adrien Robinson) and an OT (Brandon Mosley) in the 4th as well. At this point, Osi was 30 years old, Tuck 28, Canty 29, and Kiwanuka 28. JPP was there as well as Linval Joseph, but not enough was done to begin to replace some of the older players. On offense, Snee was 29, McKenzie was 32, Diehl was 31, Baas was 30, and Boothe was 28.

You cannot win in the NFL without strong line play and there was literally no one to take over for these guys once they started to decline. The Giants had one of the strongest lines on both sides of the ball during their championship years, only to see both units become among the leagues worst. For example, Eli was sacked 19 times in 2012, followed up by 39 in 2013!

I've been pretty tame in my assessment of Reese on here, but I think holding onto this guy is a huge mistake. He has done nothing to make me believe he can get this thing turned around. If Coughlin must go, Reese should be packing his bags with him. The Giants loyalty is working against them here.

Reese is terrible in these press conferences. Blaming injuries and “should’ve won” more games. Unreal. Weak. Guys’ the GM for 9 years and the team dresses about 14-15 players any given Sunday who are drafted by the team.

Meanwhile Coughlin goes in taking responsibility.

That press conference was nauseating. Reese sounds like an utter buffoon. And for a guy who for years has been held up as the gold standard for sports owners Mara sounded positively Wilponesque. He is so out of touch with the sentiment of his fanbase it's unbelievable.

The fact that no one involved in the entire scouting, evaluation, draft or roster building process was let go makes you wonder if Mara's shelf life has expired as well. Maybe it's time for Mara and Tisch to bring in an outsider as team president and run the football side of the business as other owners have done .

Reactions: anon_x0d8d0dquuo4t
Reese is terrible in these press conferences. Blaming injuries and “should’ve won” more games. Unreal. Weak. Guys’ the GM for 9 years and the team dresses about 14-15 players any given Sunday who are drafted by the team.

Meanwhile Coughlin goes in taking responsibility.

Both Mara and Reese are lying through their teeth. You heard Reese about even with roster holes you can turn things around very quickly so what does that tell you? And Mara was clear that they would take a look at the player evaluation system and process, but he does not want to throw that all away. And his defense of Reese " you guys would be saying Jerry is one of the best GMs in the league" to reporters.

Piratrz, BTW, if Pugh isn't playing RT after the last 2-3 games unless they draft or sign a starting stud RT from day one this offseason the new staff won't be any better than the TC staff. I don't know what they saw in Newhouse. Newhouse and Brown as backups for injuries is one thing, but these last 2 years was ridiculous.

One of the beat writers disputed that video. Seems like typical misinterpretation.

Both Mara and Reese are lying through their teeth. You heard Reese about even with roster holes you can turn things around very quickly so what does that tell you? And Mara was clear that they would take a look at the player evaluation system and process, but he does not want to throw that all away. And his defense of Reese " you guys would be saying Jerry is one of the best GMs in the league" to reporters.

Piratrz, BTW, if Pugh isn't playing RT after the last 2-3 games unless they draft or sign a starting stud RT from day one this offseason the new staff won't be any better than the TC staff. I don't know what they saw in Newhouse. Newhouse and Brown as backups for injuries is one thing, but these last 2 years was ridiculous.

I agree. I would've cleaned house after 3 losing seasons if I was letting Coughlin go. Reese is lost. So is Mara. They are in denial. It's going to get worse before it gets better, I fear.

How they let the offensive line deteriorate has been an absolute nightmare. I do think Pugh has talent, but is a guard.

And how about this? What the hell!?!?

I agree. I would've cleaned house after 3 losing seasons if I was letting Coughlin go. Reese is lost. So is Mara. They are in denial. It's going to get worse before it gets better, I fear.

How they let the offensive line deteriorate has been an absolute nightmare. I do think Pugh has talent, but is a guard.

And how about this? What the hell!?!?

I totally disagree on Pugh. The best rushing games were with him at RT. Plus he was a RT his entire college career. And as 80 posted Newhouse let guys go right around him never throwing a block. Pugh won't do that. This one is on the coaching staff.

Politi got it right about the press conference and what the CEO and GM really think about the coaching see link below. Mara said Spags and McAdoo will interview for the job. Reports are now that Tish wanted Coughlin out and he did not speak at the presser after it was believed he would.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/...servations_from_the_gi.html#incart_river_home

I just watched both press conferences. Anyone who did the same could clearly identify who the problem is. I loved Reese's combativeness with the one reporter who asked why the Giants haven't been as successful as other teams in the middle and later rounds of drafts. Reese called him out and said "Do you have any facts to support your claim? Do you have any facts? I wouldn't talk about that unless you have some facts to back it up."

Is Reese delusional? They've drafted TWO starters in the 3rd round or later since 2009! http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/draft.htm

Politi got it right about the press conference and what the CEO and GM really think about the coaching see link below. Mara said Spags and McAdoo will interview for the job. Reports are now that Tish wanted Coughlin out and he did not speak at the presser after it was believed he would.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/...servations_from_the_gi.html#incart_river_home

I think it's clear they're blaming Coughlin. The interesting question will be this: Was this roster highly competitive because Coughlin was a good motivator yet just couldn't execute in crunch time, so are the close losses deceiving? Or is this actually not a good roster and this will be exposed moving forward by a coach who may not have the some connection to what players are here?

I bet most of us blamed Tom for the Cowboy loss and for a few of the other head scratchers.

I totally disagree on Pugh. The best rushing games were with him at RT. Plus he was a RT his entire college career. And as 80 posted Newhouse let guys go right around him never throwing a block. Pugh won't do that. This one is on the coaching staff.

Finding a guard to play in the NFL is easier then finding tackles and I thought Pugh has played better when he was at tackle and the Giants OL was better with him there. With tackles always a priority and finding a good one isn't easy , I would move him back to RT and look to sign a guard in free agency.

I bet most of us blamed Tom for the Cowboy loss and for a few of the other head scratchers.

I've always blamed both. There were two egregious issues I had with the coaching and that was Dallas and the Jets game. But in each of those games the defense then imploded after the decisions (well, and before the decisions as the Giants needed returns in both games to have a lead).

Last edited:

Pugh did not have a good season at tackle last year and was spotty in Year 1. I don't think it's just the staff. Then why did they draft a tackle in the Top 10 last season when they already had Pugh and Beatty signed to a long term deal?

Cowboys loss was one of the worst clock management decisions I've witnessed. I also didn't like how he handled the OBJ situation. At first, I was completely against going for it on 4th down against the Jets but as the season progressed I saw what Tom was trying to do - go for the kill shot knowing that every damn team in the NFL could score on this defense at will. At this point, I think there's a better chance than not that the Jets would have scored 2 TDs and won by 1 in regulation.

Either way, Reese's press conference left a bad taste in my mouth heading into next season. I have no faith in him or this organization at this point. They better get this head coaching decision right or we are looking at a very bleak future these next couple seasons.

Reactions: Piratz
I think it's clear they're blaming Coughlin. The interesting question will be this: Was this roster highly competitive because Coughlin was a good motivator yet just couldn't execute in crunch time, so are the close losses deceiving? Or is this actually not a good roster and this will be exposed moving forward by a coach who may not have the some connection to what players are here?

Ah, the 64k question,. Mara did say however, that he thought the team played hard and while he was at practice the team still pays attention to Tom is lively and focused. We know what Mara thinks is right.

I watched all three pressers. Coughlin hit it out of the park but clearly took responsibility. Mara is tight but did admit they need more talent a few times. Mara seems to be completely out of touch though. Rarely if ever mentions the fans and probably does not care. Reese was simply bad. He kept saying 10 plays go a different way and we are not having this conversation and was very combative about the question of draft picks from Rounds 3 and below. Said there is simply less talent there and seemed to indicate he was OK with the fact that they've done so badly. One writer also asked about how some teams just keep coming back to the playoffs each year and get low draft picks and Reese could not provide an answer. Management is clearly delusional IMO.

On the Dallas debacle I still think Eli screwed that up and Coughlin took the heat. Clearly that game was lost by the Giants but I think that one was on Eli. I put the Jets loss on Coughlin but his decision was clearly made because of how bad the D was but he should have kicked that FG.

The Giants could get lucky and hire a good coach. And if he has say in personnel it could help but Jerry Reese has not done well the last few years and was terrible in that presser. Hope his performance is better than when he's behind a microphone. Mara and Tisch blew it.

Mara came off as a weak and meandering, IMO. He also said they didn't give Tom enough talent. What? Again, I would've cleaned house, but Mara doesn't have the stomach for it.

Reese's poorly delivered comments are denial and self preservation. He knows his head is next. it's a loser's lament. It's one thing for fans to feel that way, but when management feels like that it concerns me there's complacency.

There is good reason why those 10 plays did not go their way and why the team REPEATEDLY could not make a stop when they had to. You cannot win in the NFL relying solely on offense, strategy, and special teams. You need a defense. You need a pass rush. You need coverage. And you need both in the 4th quarter of close games! It's beyond x's and o's. It's about players.

Bottom line is that an organization doesn't go 7-9, 6-10, 6-10 with a HC/GM tandem that's been together for 9 years and won 2 SB's simply because of coaching. There are deeper issues and if they aren't resolved you're looking at another Handley-Reeves era. And Reeves was actually a good coach, but the management and roster was a mess, unprepared for the Salary Cap Era (remember Dave Brown, LOL?).

Last edited:
Reese kept blaming injuries over and over and over today. Nauseating. Then got testy over some questions. Not his finest moment today. Shocked Giants are making Coughlin the scapegoat here. Reese should be out too.

Mara came off as a weak and meandering, IMO. He also said they didn't give Tom enough talent. What? Again, I would've cleaned house, but Mara doesn't have the stomach for it.

Reese's poorly delivered comments are denial and self preservation. He knows his head is next. it's a loser's lament. It's one thing for fans to feel that way, but when management feels like that it concerns me there's complacency.

There is good reason why those 10 plays did not go their way and why the team REPEATEDLY could not make a stop when they had to. You cannot win in the NFL relying solely on offense, strategy, and special teams. You need a defense. You need a pass rush. You need coverage. And you need both in the 4th quarter of close games! It's beyond x's and o's. It's about players.

Bottom line is that an organization doesn't go 7-9, 6-10, 6-10 with a HC/GM tandem that's been together for 9 years and won 2 SB's simply because of coaching. There are deeper issues and if they aren't resolved you're looking at another Handley-Reeves era. And Reeves was actually a good coach, but the management and roster was a mess, unprepared for the Salary Cap Era (remember Dave Brown, LOL?).

Mara said "We didn't give Tom the talent to turn this thing around" and in the next breath said I have confidence in Jerry to do the job. Go figure.

Breakups are tough - this one particularly so. From all accounts, Coughlin is a great man and one who will one day enter the Giants Ring of Honor. It's an unfortunate end to a great career.

For me, the current state of the Giants and Coughlin's age dictate a lot of my thinking. This team is not going to contend for a Super Bowl next season barring some huge improvements in the roster and some of the current players stepping up their game. Because of that, I would rather bring in a coach who can contribute to the rebuild and take this team where it needs to go in 2-3 years. If the team were built to win now I'd retain Coughlin for the next couple seasons, but since they're not I think it's best if they move on.

With that said, Reese has to go. This needs to be a complete house-cleaning and Reese is as much to blame for the current state of the Giants as anyone else. If they force out Coughlin and retain Reese I will be livid.

Coaches coach.... GMs build personnel pool. They got it backwards. Should have fired GM hired new one and told him he had a year the decide on staff with Tom's contract up next year. Tom would not have had a Lame-duck year because players would know the new GM was evaluating their future. Sorry turn of events/decisions.

Mara doesn't appear to be man enough to make the tough decisions that have to be made and his reputation is certainly taking a big hit as he comes across as weak and indecisive . There are stories out there that suggests that Tisch was the prime mover behind the decision to let TC go and I have no doubt the NY/NJ sports media will be doing a lot of digging into why Reese and Ross stay and what happened behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Michael Kay said today on his show that people he talked to said it was Tisch that pushed for TC to go and Mara finally agreed.

Michael Kay said today on his show that people he talked to said it was Tisch that pushed for TC to go and Mara finally agreed.

Vacchiano of the NYDN reported the same last week. I’m sure the story will come out someday.

Something's up because it's all over the place. Tom’s not retiring and says he’ll still be open to coaching again, but he cannot coach your team and instead gets offered another position because he has knowledge? What? The players would run through a wall for the guy and Mara acknowledges he never lost the team and wasn’t given enough talent? He literally says that. What?

It was all very convoluted. Would've made much more sense if they just decided to clean house or came out and said we're getting better and trust our guys. Something. This looks like a split decision. They need to NAIL this next hire and overhaul the defensive personnel then hope for the best. The new coach is not walking into an easy situation.

Last edited:
Vacchiano of the NYDN reported the same last week. I’m sure the story will come out someday.

Something's up because it's all over the place. Tom’s not retiring and says he’ll still be open to coaching again, but he cannot coach your team and instead gets offered another position because he has knowledge? What? The players would run through a wall for the guy and Mara acknowledges he never lost the team and wasn’t given enough talent? He literally says that. What?

It was all very convoluted. Would've made much more sense if they just decided to clean house or came out and said we're getting better and trust our guys. Something. This looks like a split decision. They need to NAIL this next hire and overhaul the defensive personnel then hope for the best. The new coach is not walking into an easy situation.
Yea they seem to be making this up as they go along. Maybe Mara made a deal to keep Jerry Reese and let Coughlin go as I had heard Tisch wanted to clean house totally. Not a good day for the Giants organization in a lot of ways today.

Saw this tweet and thought it was funny:
Peter Botte @PeterBotte
Reese has been more defensive in the last 10 minutes than the Giants were all season.

Reactions: its haLL baLL
They look messy. Their team has looked more and more messy the more they had to move away from the Accorsi Era players that played for Coughlin (heck, Tom and Eli themselves are Accorsi) and into the Reese Era players.

The way they have built this team is fundamentally flawed. This new look isn't a good one. It's losing football. Now we'll find out what they're made of as the insinuation here is Tom Coughlin held them back. Hire McAdoo then if they feel the talent is good enough.

And why does Tisch never meet the media at these things? He is 50% owner, is he not? Odd. Man up.

Good stuff here on the next phase: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...urce=twitter.com&utm_campaign=ESamuel+Twitter

Last edited:
Every time Tisch talks the organization has to do damage control. It doesn't happen very often but you always see clarifying comments after he speaks. I think that is why Mara takes the lead as he is the best of the worst.

But Mara also talked about how it was more than 3 seasons. He specifically mentioned with Francessa today the collapse the year before the previous 3 seasons where they had the division almost locked up before the collapse. He has clearly been talking out of both sides of his mouth. And Reese you know was fighting for his job with Mara talking about those losses you mention and the 2 unbeaten teams they almost took down at one point. Reese did acknowledge mistakes about the talent, but he clearly thinks neither him or Coughlin would be in this position if they were 9-7.

I can't wait to see the 2016 draft if they take the 6-8 DE from Oregon another JPP type freak or if their pick in the 2nd round is somebody like a Marvin Austin highest rated on their draft board or really change things up. Watch they take a WR in the 1st round. LOL!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT