ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tom Coughlin

What has changed from that first game in Dallas is that we have seen and come to recognize how flawed and weak the roster TC was given to win with and that has certainly changed the perception that the Giants lack of success was primarily the fault of TC when the general concensus now it's the fault of Reese and Ross. That doesn't mean that Tom and his OC haven't contributed to the results we saw this year and others.
Hallgrad, you thought this was a good roster? Imo giant fans have been pissed for years cause the roster wasn't good or deep, specially the d.

Reactions: its haLL baLL
Having Philbin join McAdoo's staff is not a bad thing. Reports are however, he won't be OC that Sullivan will be promoted to OC. Nevertheless, it is not easy to put a staff together and with Philbin to help so McAdoo does not have too much on his plate is good. Keeping Spags as DC and if Reese can have a good defensive draft and a couple of quality FA additions things are not looking so bad.

I saw that. A new coach will certainly have some power in shaping the roster and you have to be an idiot to not be able to see what they need. Reese can probably get it done but IMO he does not deserve a 2nd chance because he screwed the pooch bigtime.

In the end let's hope McAdoo is deserving of the praise he gets from McCarthy and Rodgers and Eli. It is an offensive minded league but you need a D. But it's still the defense that is the problem.

Keeping Spags as DC and if Reese can have a good defensive draft and a couple of quality FA additions things are not looking so bad.

Wait a minute, is this the same Spags you thought only came back because nobody else would work for TC?

In all seriousness, they need players. The organization and coaches will all look vastly improved next year is they have serious NFL players on defense and at least a league-average unit. You cannot operate with the type of defense they've had out there. Just cannot. It puts too much pressure on the offense and game management to be perfect and it won't be perfect. Especially with a rookie HC.

Apparently, Coughlin decided to not pursue Philly because most of his staff was staying on with NYG.

Gary Myers‏@garymyersNYDN
Sources say Coughlin could have had Eagles job, but withdrew because the core of his staff is under contract to NYG and staying with McAdoo

His staff is under contract with the Giants. There is also a report that the Eagles wanted him to make Duce Staley OC.

One think you can say about McAdoo is that the Giants offense ranked 10th in 2014 and 8th in 2015 and did it w/o Cruz, no legitimate TE , a porous OL and this year a RB by committe .

Wait a minute, is this the same Spags you thought only came back because nobody else would work for TC?

In all seriousness, they need players. The organization and coaches will all look vastly improved next year is they have serious NFL players on defense and at least a league-average unit. You cannot operate with the type of defense they've had out there. Just cannot. It puts too much pressure on the offense and game management to be perfect and it won't be perfect. Especially with a rookie HC.

This year in their free agent signings it's got to be about quality not quantity like it was last year.

Eli wanted Mcadoo. Sure he is extremely happy with this decision. He got his wish, now let's see how it works out. I predict 5-11. ;)

One think you can say about McAdoo is that the Giants offense ranked 10th in 2014 and 8th in 2015 and did it w/o Cruz, no legitimate TE , a porous OL and this year a RB by committe .
This should not be overlooked (and I'm not advocating for mcAdoo's hire). We tend to look at things through a microscope since we watch the Giants every Sunday. But say they would've cleaned house and gone with Gase. McAdoo's offense was better this year with arguably less overall talent than the Bears.

McAdoo did well with the offense. It has progressed a lot. There are some areas I'd like to listen to him discuss as the HC, and those areas are RZ (29th in league), the 4-minute offense (abysmal), and the running game. All 3 are interconnected and did hurt them at times. The offense needs to diversify. Other than Jennings' late burst, the run game was AWOL.

Aside from the drama the Giants created themselves with their silly statements, I like McAdoo as a coach, I'm just concerned about making that next jump so quickly. That is not easy and patience may be needed. Patience is hard to find after 3 losing years in a row. Being a HC in the NFL is the biggest jump in professional sports for coaches. Your job changes immeasurably and you need to lead men on all units. Really interested to see how he handles the media and sets the standard as the lead guy.

It will certainly help him to have experienced "Giant" guys like Sullivan and Spagnuolo on staff, who were both part of Super Bowl staffs.

Reactions: its haLL baLL
McAdoo being introduced and making the rounds this morning.

The more things change the more they stay the same. Now just need TC to take that FO gig they offered him and well, the circle is complete.

The more things change the more they stay the same. Now just need TC to take that FO gig they offered him and well, the circle is complete.

Oh well I watched the press conference. I'll cut McAdoo some slack as anyone in their first press conference would be a bit shaky. Doesn't mean he can't coach. I really see some of KW in this guy. He'd better win because I can see him being at odds with the NYC media. Some of his answers were already kind of mysterious, especially about not saying who would call the plays, the OC or the HC. He didn't want to give away a competitive advantage at a press conference in January??

Anyway, it's just impossible to know how he'll fare. The Giants organization is gambling to some degree. In fairness they have been around him for 2 years and have seen him in action. He does have an existing relationship with the returning players. So that's all good. Surround himself with good assistant coaches and upgrade the talent. That will be the path to success.

One critical part of rebuilding the Giant's roster that has not been discussed here is how well McAdoo does in selling his vision of what his tenure as head coach will look like to the free agents the Giants are targeting . That of course will be particularly true for the offensive side of the ball especially if it's a WR, TE or RB and whether he's good at that or not remains an open question . There are coaches who are really good at that and there are others whose personality turns people off.

One critical part of rebuilding the Giant's roster that has not been discussed here is how well McAdoo does in selling his vision of what his tenure as head coach will look like to the free agents the Giants are targeting . That of course will be particularly true for the offensive side of the ball especially if it's a WR, TE or RB and whether he's good at that or not remains an open question . There are coaches who are really good at that and there are others whose personality turns people off.

This is the biggest gamble. Regardless of coach they need talent. Immediately. Veteran FA talent. Does McAdoo have the credibility?

This is the biggest gamble. Regardless of coach they need talent. Immediately. Veteran FA talent. Does McAdoo have the credibility?

There are some really good free agents that will be available this year at positions of need for the Giants but some at the very top may have the franchise tag put on them like the Jets Wilkerson. It's still a deep target rich environment and there should be no excuses if the Giants don't do well in the Free Agent Market.

Let's see they free up $60M with restructuring and/or releases (Beatty may be likely to force his way out). With the amount of needs they have, that actually goes pretty quickly.

This offseason haul between FA and draft will determine if the team isn't right back in this spot 2-3 years from now.

Let's see they free up $60M with restructuring and/or releases (Beatty may be likely to force his way out). With the amount of needs they have, that actually goes pretty quickly.

This offseason haul between FA and draft will determine if the team isn't right back in this spot 2-3 years from now.

The key to getting back as a serious contender will take at least two years and that means that they will need to have significant cap room not only this year but next year as well .In order to achieve that they will need to not overpay on resigning their own free agents as they did when they overpaid for Beatty . So much of success in the NFL today in building a talented roster is how well teams manage their cap space.

The key to getting back as a serious contender will take at least two years and that means that they will need to have significant cap room not only this year but next year as well .In order to achieve that they will need to not overpay on resigning their own free agents as they did when they overpaid for Beatty . So much of success in the NFL today in building a talented roster is how well teams manage their cap space.
Yup! The Pats do a great job of letting older talent go and never looking back and developing younger talent to step right in. I would have hired the Pats Asst GM personally but that horse is out of the barn now.

In the end I hope McAdoo is a genius. I have to say in his press conference he sounds like a young Coughlin with some of the words he uses. He also said he is not trying to replace Coughlin but it seems that he has been influenced in a big way by Tom. He has also said Coughlin time is staying too. If he can combine what he learned from McCarthy and Coughlin that is in fact a pretty good pedigree. But it won't matter unless Reese gets him LOTS of help on the defensive side of the ball and a little help on the O line and at receiver/TE.

Yup! The Pats do a great job of letting older talent go and never looking back and developing younger talent to step right in. I would have hired the Pats Asst GM personally but that horse is out of the barn now.

In the end I hope McAdoo is a genius. I have to say in his press conference he sounds like a young Coughlin with some of the words he uses. He also said he is not trying to replace Coughlin but it seems that he has been influenced in a big way by Tom. He has also said Coughlin time is staying too. If he can combine what he learned from McCarthy and Coughlin that is in fact a pretty good pedigree. But it won't matter unless Reese gets him LOTS of help on the defensive side of the ball and a little help on the O line and at receiver/TE.

No one can know how McAdoo will be as a head coach, but hopefully he lives up to the expectations Marra and Tisch have for him. Just weird how it all went down and how they have now put all of the blame for the team's failures solely on Coughlin.

Reese needs to draft impact players in the first few rounds and some players who can provide depth in rounds 3 and later. He hasn't done the latter in the past, but hopefully he can turn it around. Free agency will be key. My concern is that Reese puts all his eggs in one basket, goes all in on some aging players that don't pan out, and gives the Giants no flexibility in the upcoming seasons. Hopefully I am wrong but we will see.

McAdoo did pretty well today, but this is going to be a big, big jump, especially in who he replaces because of the way that guy changed the culture of the organization and in this market. Two years is really fast.

He reminds me a bit of a Mangini type. May have to loosen up a bit. We'll see.

One of the keys to winning is how good a staff McAdoo puts together and now has three open assistant slots to fill plus Philbin has taken an assistant job with the Colts. There will be a lot of new and unfamiliar faces on the coaching staff and how quickly they mesh with the players is important.

A bit of a red flag that McAdoo's mentor and someone he spoke so highly of in terms of a coach (and running game coach as BA mentioned on ESPN) went to the Colts instead.

Meanwhile the Texans and Bill O'Brien are loading up on former Giants assistants. They've taken Sean Ryan (WR) and Larry Izzo (ST). Believe Jim Herrman (LB) went to the Colts.

Good read today on how Coughlin recommended McAdoo. It's a question of growing pains now.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/...cadoo_land_the_giants.html#incart_river_index

A bit of a red flag that McAdoo's mentor and someone he spoke so highly of in terms of a coach (and running game coach as BA mentioned on ESPN) went to the Colts instead.

Meanwhile the Texans and Bill O'Brien are loading up on former Giants assistants. They've taken Sean Ryan (WR) and Larry Izzo (ST). Believe Jim Herrman (LB) went to the Colts.

Good read today on how Coughlin recommended McAdoo. It's a question of growing pains now.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/...cadoo_land_the_giants.html#incart_river_index

Assistant coaches change all the time and they know that to move up to become a coordinator or a viable candidate to be a head coach it's a better progression to be on a team with strong playoff credentials and right now the Giants don't fall into that category of teams. I also believe that there is a widely held perception that the GM doesn't have the ability to get the job done and that's turning potential candidates off.

I agree completely, hallgrad. The Giants are a patchwork organization right now with a GM squarely and publically put on the hot seat and a rookie HC who has only been a coordinator for two seasons. Plus you're talking about a franchise that's coming off 3 consecutive losing seasons that needs an entirely new defensive team. That's a lot.

I also do not believe the coaching fraternity looks fondly upon what is basically a scapegoating of Tom Coughlin by this organization. The consensus is Coughlin and his staff did a good job getting this rag tag group on the cusp of being a wining team. That's why his assistants are in demand.

There are well documented organization failures in personnel. The poor drafts and lukewarm FA moves have left the roster gutted in many areas. Plus they all talk of stability and continuity (their best marketing attempt), but reality is they've fired coaches/coordinators in 3 consecutive years now. It'd be a much cleaner situation with potential had this been a clean start with a new everything.

Now will all of this that impact the staff or attracting Free Agents? Time will tell. I think Philbin is the first indication. And curiously no official announcement of Spagnuolo. Should be a really interesting offseason.

Last edited:
Henry was hired at LSU in the Spring of 2012, following the 2011 NFL season where he was on Hue Jackson's staff with the Raiders. That was the same time when Randle was drafted. So he wasn't there during any of Randle's games at LSU.

That said I'm sure there's some familiarity and it also wouldn't surprise me if Reese starts pushing draft picks on McAdoo to keep and McAdoo tries to make it work.

I'd be done with Randle. The guy just does make winning plays and you need to start purging underachievers. His numbers are average and hollow. Easily replaceable.

Last edited:
This is a pro "town" that's for sure. 272 posts in a week on good guy Tom Coughlin.

The interest in pro sports is amazing. Even Coach Tony Bozzella has Mets season tix.

Speaking of which:
Last Call For Women's Basketball Sunday- January 24th-Great Lunch/ Coach Tony/ Raffles/ Game against Butler - $10 for Piratecrew Posters.See pinned invite above. Deadline for reservations- Tuesday Jan 19: guarigliac@yahoo.com

Depends on where he thinks he has the best chance to succeed so he can get another shot at being a head coach

Spags staying.

Other notables out include Flaherty (OL) and Palmieri (Strength & Conditioning). Both had been with the Giants since Coughlin took over in 2004.

Robert Nunn (DL) also leaving. Has been with the team since 2010.

Spags staying.

Other notables out include Flaherty (OL) and Palmieri (Strength & Conditioning). Both had been with the Giants since Coughlin took over in 2004.

Robert Nunn (DL) also leaving. Has been with the team since 2010.
Interesting. I wonder if the assistant coaches are leaving because they are not sure about McAdoo or don't believe Reese and the Giants organization will get the right talent on board - or both. We will never know and maybe its for the better. I hope they get some good new blood in there that will help.

Interesting. I wonder if the assistant coaches are leaving because they are not sure about McAdoo or don't believe Reese and the Giants organization will get the right talent on board - or both. We will never know and maybe its for the better. I hope they get some good new blood in there that will help.
There is a third option and that is that McAdoo might not want them or he wants his own coach for a particular position like an O-Line coach.

Some of the guys have been here a long time so maybe even for them it is an opportunity to refresh and not so much about McAdoo, but who knows.

With the way the NFL is constructed these days, without a good staff you're toast. The game has become so specialized and league so balanced that head coaches become more like true executive leaders in the corporate sense. This is going to be the big jump for McAdoo.

Reactions: Section112
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT