ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting tweets

Ah I see. I don’t read tweets that closely. Think you are grasping at straws. I mean do you expect someone in a limited character tweet to elaborate on a kid’s academic issues or is it just easier to say he committed one place and went another.

In a limited character world, I would have said "was once a seton hall commit but went juco" rather than "was once a seton hall commit but decided to go juco."

I think having a guy who seems to have his rebounding and junkyard dog prowess would be helpful. And who doesn’t need the ball to be effective. I’ve said I’m more concerned about the back court so don’t think it is a huge issue if we fail to bring in another banger of some sort, but others disagree with that sentiment.
Our rebounding was not very good last year. Adding a solid rebounder would be welcome.

Reactions: thehall07
Uhhh, let me go ahead and help you out with that. We aren’t getting Aiken or any other recruit we want for that matter. Go on with your day.
I’m so sick of having a decent amount of success, yet recruiting like we’re a horrible program like Boston College.

Wait...BC has actually recruited better than us each of the last three years. Is that telling or what?!

Reactions: mbraue and JGCPA
I’m so sick of having a decent amount of success, yet recruiting like we’re a horrible program like Boston College.

Wait...BC has actually recruited better than us each of the last three years. Is that telling or what?!
Welcome to the club, Willard is not a top flight recruiter in the least. He is mediocre and let’s not forget he isn’t selling a top flight off the court experience / practice facilities.

Welcome to the club, Willard is not a top flight recruiter in the least. He is mediocre and let’s not forget he isn’t selling a top flight off the court experience / practice facilities.
He has next to nothing to sell when it comes to those things. But I think he’s proven how great he is at developing players at this point.

Starting to think Willard could be looking for an upgrade. Maybe he’s not a good recruiter but imagine he coached for a school that has a true practice facility and other advantages? He’d potentially get more talent than he is now AND be able to properly develop it. I wouldn’t blame him...I’d be fantasizing about the same thing if I missed on as many targets as we have

He has next to nothing to sell when it comes to those things. But I think he’s proven how great he is at developing players at this point.

Starting to think Willard could be looking for an upgrade. Maybe he’s not a good recruiter but imagine he coached for a school that has a true practice facility and other advantages? He’d potentially get more talent than he is now AND be able to properly develop it. I wouldn’t blame him...I’d be fantasizing about the same thing if I missed on as many targets as we have
I don’t see him looking for an upgrade outside of SHU, he does not thrive outside his comfort zone.

also his development of players is great but most kids don’t care if they are not in the league. Getting a practice facility, upgraded dorms, and some NBA players will help but still he has to sell the program outside of being a good guy.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and JGCPA
While the recruiting results since we signed Long and Stevens have not been where we would have hoped and our focus now appears to be on the transfer and JUCO pools of talent let’s wait until this all plays out before we starting issuing predictions of doom for the program. The transfer pool alone is now over 540 players who have entered the transfer portal and you know the staff and especially Kevin are working their butts off to add talent.

I don’t see him looking for an upgrade outside of SHU, he does not thrive outside his comfort zone.

also his development of players is great but most kids don’t care if they are not in the league. Getting a practice facility, upgraded dorms, and some NBA players will help but still he has to sell the program outside of being a good guy.
You’re right. I just feel like we see top recruits go to other programs that don’t have on-court success, don’t have top coaches, and haven’t sent kids to the NBA. The one thing they do have is facilities and money

While the recruiting results since we signed Long and Stevens have not been where we would have hoped and our focus now appears to be on the transfer and JUCO pools of talent let’s wait until this all plays out before we starting issuing predictions of doom for the program. The transfer pool alone is now over 540 players who have entered the transfer portal and you know the staff and especially Kevin are working their butts off to add talent.
I don’t think anyone thinks the program is doomed. But, the recruiting results haven’t been there for about three years now. This isn’t just about this year’s class, it’s been a problem landing any single one of our top targets for an extended period.

Reactions: JGCPA
You lost me at practice facility. Willard is not a top flight recruiter....period...end of statement. If Pitino were the head coach, we'd be getting 5* recruit . No questions asked about practice facility. That is an excuse plain and simple. Not knocking Willard, but he needs to improve or hire someone who can recruit.

You lost me at practice facility. Willard is not a top flight recruiter....period...end of statement. If Pitino were the head coach, we'd be getting 5* recruit . No questions asked about practice facility. That is an excuse plain and simple. Not knocking Willard, but he needs to improve or hire someone who can recruit.
But he isn’t Pitino so he needs all the ammo he can get to close kids . A practice facility will help.

Last year there were 1065 players who entered the transfer portal and most expect that number to be exceeded this year. There are currently 585 transfers in the portal with about 100 of those immediate eligible grad transfers. The issue is that those transfers who have the skill set to play in the BE or in a power five conference are the most aggressively recruited and the recruiting in that smaller pool of players is just as competitive as that for the top HS players and why we haven’t seen any results yet with our efforts.

What "final/shortened" lists have we made so far?
- McGowens
- Martin
- Sanogo

Has Aiken put out a list?

With all due respect -- this is an idiotic post... Watch how many 5 star recruits end up in New Rochelle without providing cash or strippers etc.

SHU plays by the rules and does not nor should we provide illegal benefits to the students. We are in a lot of players final lists so our recruiting skills are solid, our players each year develop and get better at their positions, in the past few years we have had players that were 3 stars developing into NBA prospects, our players current and past absolutely love their time at SHU, their experience at SHU and the coaches at SHU, our players graduate with strong GPA's... So don't give me any crap about how Coach W is not good enough and need someone better. Maybe just maybe, people should shut up and make a donation (small or large) to help build some facilities for our school.

Bryan, Pat and Dr Nyre have a major challenge on their hands but that is no surprise as this has been one that has been talked about for many years. maybe just maybe the pressure is put on them to deliver versus Coach W.

Last edited:
What "final/shortened" lists have we made so far?
- McGowens
- Martin
- Sanogo

Has Aiken put out a list?

Martin told 247 that 8 schools (including SHU) are after him the hardest. It's a bit of semantics, but I wouldn't count that as making his final/shortened list.

Reactions: shupat08
With all due respect -- this is an idiotic post... Watch how many 5 star recruits end up in New Rochelle without providing cash or strippers etc.

SHU plays by the rules and does not nor should we provide illegal benefits to the students. We are in a lot of players final lists so our recruiting skills are solid, our players each year develop and get better at their positions, in the past few years we have had players that were 3 stars developing into NBA prospects, our players current and past absolutely love their time at SHU, their experience at SHU and the coaches at SHU, our players graduate with strong GPA's... So don't give me any crap about how Coach W is not good enough and need someone better. Maybe just maybe, people should shut up and make a donation (small or large) to help build some facilities for our school.

Bryan, Pat and Dr Nyre have a major challenge on their hands but that is no surprise as this has been one that has been talked about for many years. maybe just maybe the pressure is put on them to deliver versus Coach W.
I'm pretty sure he'll be under a microscope and that won't be happening. Call me naive but I'd like to think kids would want to play for a HOF coach.

Reactions: SHUMA04
I'm a bit wary on McCowens. Definitely a talent with upside, but there were lots of rumblings from the Pitt side during the season (before he left) about him being a problem in the locker room and with teammates. Who knows how true, and maybe folks connected to that program could chime in.

Trey McCowens is an exciting talent who starts at PG for us. Off to a strong start and had big games against Louisville, UNC, etc but faded hard in the 2nd half due to heavy usage and minutes.

Antonio, not sure I see a fit this year.

Just posting a tweet.

My particular comments re Sanogo are on the Trove.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT