ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers

QUOTE="Local Shill, post: 662731, member: 1340"]I love how salty a few of you are. Deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you knew if RU ever got it's s--t together, its ceiling is much higher than Seton Hall's. Long way to go until RU is the superior program but things are trending in a certain direction.[/QUOTE]

What do you expect this is the Seton Hall message board.... Should we congratulate you for not having a coach who enjoys a little strip free throw shooting now and than? I mean solid win for you guys but kick rocks.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
I stand corrected, thank you. I had forgotten about the Sparty game, because it happened before our game, and honestly forgot that Pitt is in the Big 10! We shall see how the remainder of the road schedule plays out.
They played @MSU and @Nebraska. Pitt is ACC.

Reactions: Local Shill
I've been a Pikiell believer, so I'm not shocked to see them having a nice season. Our loss to them (which will always infuriate me, no matter what) certainly is mitigated by their play since, so I guess that's the silver lining.

I'm one who does not think the success of Rutgers impedes the success of Seton Hall, nor vice versa. I used to think it did for many years, but no longer believe it, so I don't think of them improving as being a threat to what we're doing. I'll never root for them, but I'll admit that the biggest reason I don't want to see them make the NCAAs is to keep the "1991" thing an active taunt (let alone "1983," which was their last win). It is fun to hang that kind of generational futility over their heads; let's not pretend it isn't!

I'm not one who hates RU as much as many posters on this site. I have liked how hard Pikiell had gotten his kids to play from day 1 and honestly I thought he might get better results prior to this year. This year remains to be seen, but they are certainly trending in the right direction.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing RU become a decent program. The last couple years The Hall game was their biggest game of the year given there wasn't much else to play for. The Hall hasn't seemed to get many NJ guys recently, but some of that was by choice right? Is my memory correct that much like Posh this year with STJ that Harper was The Hall's if they wanted him but they passed? Or am I completely off base there?

Anyway, I don't mind if RU becomes respectable.

That being said, it does amaze me that after any decent win that so many RU posters run right over here to pound their chests. The beat down vs The Hall...absolutely. But a great win at home vs Penn State and the RU faithful are out in force on the Seton Hall site...bizarre. Caveat being the handful of really solid RU posters who are on here all the time talking hoops and not just flaming.

Again, RU has certainly set themselves up (to date) to finally be in the conversation for an NCAA bid...but we have seen this movie before...it's a long season. We'll see what happens.

I hate to break it to everyone here but UConn is back next year...They will rule the recruiting in the area followed by the SHU RU and SJU which will be interchangeable any year.

UConn will control it unfortunately

Baby steps buddy, try to get to tourney first. Maybe one year Rutgers actually ends up with a better season then the Hall. Don’t think its this year.

FYI since we are forced to play Rutgers every year, some here want your team to do well in the season so playing a bad team doesn’t drain our NET ranking like you guys do every year. On the other hand some also hope you lose every game and remain an embarrassment so it is what it is.

Forced? So you are saying you don't like the rivalry? That you don't enjoy the game, and gloating when you win, even if that means a few days of pain when you lose?

Weird thing to say. I LOVE playing you guys. LOVE beating you and HATE losing to you. It's called a RIVALRY.

I hate to break it to everyone here but UConn is back next year...They will rule the recruiting in the area followed by the SHU RU and SJU which will be interchangeable any year.

I am not sure this is true. UConn May make things more difficult but it is not a foregone conclusion that they will become Kings again.

Just curious why you think that? Is it their brand? Is it because you think Hurley is so much better than Willard, Pike or Anderson?

As far as Rutgers having a good team. I would welcome the challenge. Hard having a rivalry if one team dominates the landscape. I have been at many games at the RAC including this years game and I can tell you it is intimidating. The fans are deeply into the game and loud. Would be great if both teams became annual top 20 programs and the yearly game became an event.

Reactions: Kodiak Bear
Forced? So you are saying you don't like the rivalry? That you don't enjoy the game, and gloating when you win, even if that means a few days of pain when you lose?

Weird thing to say. I LOVE playing you guys. LOVE beating you and HATE losing to you. It's called a RIVALRY.

I actually don't gloat, because the win means nothing for us. I have no ill will towards the program and my best friends support it. With that said, to act like that game is actually meaningful to Seton Hall is silly. The majority of casual fans get really amped for the game because it's the two local schools, but in all actuality it's pointless for our program and has been for the better part of 15 years now.

Rutgers has not been truly relevant for 30 decades, and the lack of NCAA appearances in that time proves that point. Winning against a team that does not improve our ranking or standing serves no purpose, and the potentiality of losing to said team is far more damaging.

It's nice that your team is perhaps doing well, and hopefully they continue to trend upward. Because yes, we as fans are forced to endure what has been a pointless game for a long time - so having a win over a decent team would be a nice change of pace, as would a potential loss that isn't crippling to our ranking.

Enjoy your early season success, but perhaps an ounce of humility or reason would be in due order. It's a long season and, to date, your victory over us is still your best one. We will see how things unfold after a myriad of in-conference road games are played by the Knights.

I'm not one who hates RU as much as many posters on this site. I have liked how hard Pikiell had gotten his kids to play from day 1 and honestly I thought he might get better results prior to this year. This year remains to be seen, but they are certainly trending in the right direction.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing RU become a decent program. The last couple years The Hall game was their biggest game of the year given there wasn't much else to play for. The Hall hasn't seemed to get many NJ guys recently, but some of that was by choice right? Is my memory correct that much like Posh this year with STJ that Harper was The Hall's if they wanted him but they passed? Or am I completely off base there?

Anyway, I don't mind if RU becomes respectable.

That being said, it does amaze me that after any decent win that so many RU posters run right over here to pound their chests. The beat down vs The Hall...absolutely. But a great win at home vs Penn State and the RU faithful are out in force on the Seton Hall site...bizarre. Caveat being the handful of really solid RU posters who are on here all the time talking hoops and not just flaming.

Again, RU has certainly set themselves up (to date) to finally be in the conversation for an NCAA bid...but we have seen this movie before...it's a long season. We'll see what happens.

I agree. In fact, Rutgers becoming consistently decent would change my calculus on wanting to end the series with them. If they're not an anchor on the resume, it doesn't hurt to play them win or lose.

Hats off to Rutgers, doing a great job so far. We'll see from here.

Maryland beating Ohio State shows we're right there with the best teams in the country.

Right now it's all about beating Xavier and have to say I'm liking our chances.

None of that matters except the NET at the end of the season.
Actually it's the NCAA seed that matters most (to me) when it's all said and done (after winning the BET of course :) )...

Maybe you will experience that this year...maybe not...TBD

I actually don't gloat, because the win means nothing for us. I have no ill will towards the program and my best friends support it. With that said, to act like that game is actually meaningful to Seton Hall is silly. The majority of casual fans get really amped for the game because it's the two local schools, but in all actuality it's pointless for our program and has been for the better part of 15 years now.

Rutgers has not been truly relevant for 30 decades, and the lack of NCAA appearances in that time proves that point. Winning against a team that does not improve our ranking or standing serves no purpose, and the potentiality of losing to said team is far more damaging.

It's nice that your team is perhaps doing well, and hopefully they continue to trend upward. Because yes, we as fans are forced to endure what has been a pointless game for a long time - so having a win over a decent team would be a nice change of pace, as would a potential loss that isn't crippling to our ranking.

Enjoy your early season success, but perhaps an ounce of humility or reason would be in due order. It's a long season and, to date, your victory over us is still your best one. We will see how things unfold after a myriad of in-conference road games are played by the Knights.

Then you simply don't like rivalries, if you think this game is being "forced on SHU." And of course it is meaningless in the whole scheme of things, but really, couldn't you say that about sports in general?

I also think you are in the minority of your own fanbase. I would venture to guess most SHU fans do not feel the game with Rutgers is forced....but is simply a continuation of the series that has been played over 75 times in the all-time series. I know most RU fans do not think it is forced.

When you hate your rival, you naturally want to celebrate. When you lose to your rival, you want to scream at your dog. That's what a rivalry means.

I don't hate any team in basketball like I hate you guys. And that includes everyone in the Big Ten.

Believe it or not, that is a compliment.

And that has NOTHING to do with showing humility. Because we he sucked for so long, we are not supposed to get excited about beating our rival? We are supposed to be humble when it comes to our feelings of beating you?

Sorry, man, but that aint sports.

Kenpom, Sagarin, and BPI (as well as KPI and SOR) are all included on the team sheets used by the selection committee in addition to NET, but yes - none of it matters until the end of the season.

I'm in the camp where I will always root against Rutgers but I want them to be good for the rivalry if that makes any sense.

Been a while since we have had RU fans here talking about the sleeping giant. Thankfully it's January so they should be going back to sleep soon.

Rutgers at .500 in league play at the end of the season?

I'm taking the under.

I'm in the camp where I will always root against Rutgers but I want them to be good for the rivalry if that makes any sense.

Been a while since we have had RU fans here talking about the sleeping giant. Thankfully it's January so they should be going back to sleep soon.

Rutgers at .500 in league play at the end of the season?

I'm taking the under.

It certainly makes sense. I always want to beat them of course, but it's actually nice to have them not be a horrible stain on our tournament resume in the event that we don't.

Reactions: Merge

Actually IMO what matters is who you beat, where you beat them, and avoiding bad losses in that order. Its great to have a good computer score but its just one component to the selection committee. They just wont select the best NET teams. The following teams had higher NET rankings than SHU and missed the tourney:

NC State
Clemson
Texas
Furman
Memphis
Nebraska
Lipsomb
PSU
TCU
Creighton
Indiana

Rutgers definitely put themselves in a good situation beating us and PSU and only have 1 Q3 loss. They will need to win some games away from home though where they are 1-3. Lot of season left so will see what happens.

Then you simply don't like rivalries, if you think this game is being "forced on SHU." And of course it is meaningless in the whole scheme of things, but really, couldn't you say that about sports in general?

I also think you are in the minority of your own fanbase. I would venture to guess most SHU fans do not feel the game with Rutgers is forced....but is simply a continuation of the series that has been played over 75 times in the all-time series. I know most RU fans do not think it is forced.

When you hate your rival, you naturally want to celebrate. When you lose to your rival, you want to scream at your dog. That's what a rivalry means.

I don't hate any team in basketball like I hate you guys. And that includes everyone in the Big Ten.

Believe it or not, that is a compliment.

And that has NOTHING to do with showing humility. Because we he sucked for so long, we are not supposed to get excited about beating our rival? We are supposed to be humble when it comes to our feelings of beating you?

Sorry, man, but that aint sports.

I like rivalries a lot; this isn't a rivalry to me and frankly your comment comes across as pretty stupid. For context, my football team the Buffalo Bills, had a tremendous rivalry with the Miami Dolphins during the late 80s and 90s. For a fan that started following the team in the mid 2000s, I imagine they couldn't give a crap when those 2 teams play each other. Me or fans older than me, however, feel very strongly about those games to this day.

I graduated Seton Hall in 2005. I've been a fan of Seton Hall since I was a small child in the late 80s. For the entirety of my fandom, Rutgers has essentially sucked ass, to be blunt. So why exactly is this a rivalry to me? Because they are a 45 minute drive? Well, so is St. Peters. Should that be a rivalry too then?

I view Villanova as a rivalry because we're both similar types of institutions, play in the same conference, and both schools have been very competitive. I suppose I view St. Johns as a rivalry because they too are a similar institution, play in our conference, and have a lot of history with them.

We have no history with Rutgers, save for beating the tar out of them most years. So while I am a big fan of rivalries, I just have not seen much over the course of my life to warrant it being one in my eyes.

The ‘rivalry’ was forced by the Big East. Seton Hall was the only school forced to play (and take the RPI and SOS hits along with it) twice every year. Rutgers is desperately looking for rivals because they don’t want to admit who their true rivals really are. In basketball their game against Seton Hall is their national championship, their chance to finally beat big brother. For Seton Hall the game is a no win situation, win and you should, lose and you damage your seeding and postseason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT