ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers

Then you simply don't like rivalries, if you think this game is being "forced on SHU." And of course it is meaningless in the whole scheme of things, but really, couldn't you say that about sports in general?

I also think you are in the minority of your own fanbase. I would venture to guess most SHU fans do not feel the game with Rutgers is forced....but is simply a continuation of the series that has been played over 75 times in the all-time series. I know most RU fans do not think it is forced.

When you hate your rival, you naturally want to celebrate. When you lose to your rival, you want to scream at your dog. That's what a rivalry means.

I don't hate any team in basketball like I hate you guys. And that includes everyone in the Big Ten.

Believe it or not, that is a compliment.

And that has NOTHING to do with showing humility. Because we he sucked for so long, we are not supposed to get excited about beating our rival? We are supposed to be humble when it comes to our feelings of beating you?

Sorry, man, but that aint sports.
This is a good post, and I completely agree. Nothing is forced on either program. We both agree to play it every year because, well, each program is the other's natural, in-state rival. Denying that is silly.

The ‘rivalry’ was forced by the Big East. Seton Hall was the only school forced to play (and take the RPI and SOS hits along with it) twice every year. Rutgers is desperately looking for rivals because they don’t want to admit who their true rivals really are. In basketball their game against Seton Hall is their national championship, their chance to finally beat big brother. For Seton Hall the game is a no win situation, win and you should, lose and you damage your seeding and postseason.

A school whose home court is a 2000 seat gymnasium with a stage on one end of the court is "big brother." Awesome stuff.

This is a good post, and I completely agree. Nothing is forced on either program. We both agree to play it every year because, well, each program is the other's natural, in-state rival. Denying that is silly.
By that thinking, if New Jersey was the size of Pennsylvania then Villanova and St. John’s would both be our natural, in-state rivals.

I like rivalries a lot; this isn't a rivalry to me and frankly your comment comes across as pretty stupid. For context, my football team the Buffalo Bills, had a tremendous rivalry with the Miami Dolphins during the late 80s and 90s. For a fan that started following the team in the mid 2000s, I imagine they couldn't give a crap when those 2 teams play each other. Me or fans older than me, however, feel very strongly about those games to this day.

I graduated Seton Hall in 2005. I've been a fan of Seton Hall since I was a small child in the late 80s. For the entirety of my fandom, Rutgers has essentially sucked ass, to be blunt. So why exactly is this a rivalry to me? Because they are a 45 minute drive? Well, so is St. Peters. Should that be a rivalry too then?

I view Villanova as a rivalry because we're both similar types of institutions, play in the same conference, and both schools have been very competitive. I suppose I view St. Johns as a rivalry because they too are a similar institution, play in our conference, and have a lot of history with them.

We have no history with Rutgers, save for beating the tar out of them most years. So while I am a big fan of rivalries, I just have not seen much over the course of my life to warrant it being one in my eyes.
Huh? “Beat the tar out of us?” The series is 5-5 over the last ten games.

Just be happy there are 2 really good NJ teams in 2 of the best basketball conferences this year. I don't buy the asterisk by this years game, because the very next game without Powell you won @ Md. Rutgers is an elite defensive team and shares the wins. Rutgers have won our last 2 games without Geo. The key to our wins is different guys step up each game, you can't say we need to stop player A, because player B, C and D will hurt you and E, F, and G will contribute. Nebraska was Caleb McConnell and Myles Johnson, last night was Ron Harper Jr and Jacob Young. SHU was Ron Harper Jr and Akwasi Yeboah. Wisconsin was Geo Baker and Myles Johnson. That's the difference in why this team is different than any of the last 29 years we haven't been to the NCAAs.

By that thinking, if New Jersey was the size of Pennsylvania then Villanova and St. John’s would both be our natural, in-state rivals.
But it isn't. Rutgers is something like 26 miles from Seton Hall, and actually in the same state. And it just feels better to beat them than those others (which is also lots of fun).

Just be happy there are 2 really good NJ teams in 2 of the best basketball conferences this year. I don't buy the asterisk by this years game, because the very next game without Powell you won @ Md. Rutgers is an elite defensive team and shares the wins. Rutgers have won our last 2 games without Geo. The key to our wins is different guys step up each game, you can't say we need to stop player A, because player B, C and D will hurt you and E, F, and G will contribute. Nebraska was Caleb McConnell and Myles Johnson, last night was Ron Harper Jr and Jacob Young. SHU was Ron Harper Jr and Akwasi Yeboah. Wisconsin was Geo Baker and Myles Johnson. That's the difference in why this team is different than any of the last 29 years we haven't been to the NCAAs.

Yeah, can't take anything away from that win. You guys came out really strong.

The biggest thing with you guys is that you play incredibly well at home but have to prove you can win on the road.
This weekend is actually a good test for RU. If you can beat Illinois on the road, I will believe you are legit this year.

Actually IMO what matters is who you beat, where you beat them, and avoiding bad losses in that order. Its great to have a good computer score but its just one component to the selection committee. They just wont select the best NET teams. The following teams had higher NET rankings than SHU and missed the tourney:

NC State
Clemson
Texas
Furman
Memphis
Nebraska
Lipsomb
PSU
TCU
Creighton
Indiana

Rutgers definitely put themselves in a good situation beating us and PSU and only have 1 Q3 loss. They will need to win some games away from home though where they are 1-3. Lot of season left so will see what happens.
That is absolutely correct about not using net for selection last year, but I think they went totally by net for seeding in the tournament.

What am I missing. His handle says member since 2001 but shows this was his first post?
Way back in the day, Rivals did a reset that cleared out everyone's metrics. Many of us changed our user names at that time (I dropped a number from mine). Cuba was very active back then. I forget what this platform was before Rivals stepped in.

Way back in the day, Rivals did a reset that cleared out everyone's metrics. Many of us changed our user names at that time (I dropped a number from mine). Cuba was very active back then. I forget what this platform was before Rivals stepped in.
It was Rivals, then that was purchased by Alliance Sports, then it either returned or was rebranded as Rivals back in 2001, I think - maybe after it was bought out by Yahoo? There are much more detailed explanations of this out there, but this bare-boned recollection is more or less what it was. When Alliance stepped in or when it was renamed Rivals, I think that's when things were reset. There are a few of us with June 2001 "joined" dates, but I know I was using this very platform since like 1998 or even before.

Don't really get all the vitriol. I'm a Rutgers fan and I usually pull for SHU when they make the tourney. I have plenty of friends that attended or root for both schools. Outside of one game a year it's not a direct competition and there is plenty of talent to go around. I mean it's not like SHU is a wretched hive of scum and villainy like Penn State.

Don't really get all the vitriol. I'm a Rutgers fan and I usually pull for SHU when they make the tourney. I have plenty of friends that attended or root for both schools. Outside of one game a year it's not a direct competition and there is plenty of talent to go around. I mean it's not like SHU is a wretched hive of scum and villainy like Penn State.

Have you asked kyk1827? Seriously, though, most of the ru folks who come here are good posters, even when they're rubbing our noses in it a bit. We all have friends who bleed Scarlet, but still hate losing to ru more than any other team. I am starting to enjoy beating Nova more, though -- they are not gracious in defeat.

Reactions: batts
the season will determine how good the NJ schools are. RU could have beaten us 5 times in a row on that day where we lost Mamu and then Powell again. And PSU, they are good ...but prob deserve to be outside the top 25 which will happen this week. RU needs to keep winning as well as SHU before we can brag.
I do think RU ha a chance to make the NCAA just based on how they are playing though.

It was Rivals, then that was purchased by Alliance Sports, then it either returned or was rebranded as Rivals back in 2001, I think - maybe after it was bought out by Yahoo? There are much more detailed explanations of this out there, but this bare-boned recollection is more or less what it was. When Alliance stepped in or when it was renamed Rivals, I think that's when things were reset. There are a few of us with June 2001 "joined" dates, but I know I was using this very platform since like 1998 or even before.
yeah, I joined here in 1998

Reactions: SHUSource
I hate to break it to everyone here but UConn is back next year...They will rule the recruiting in the area followed by the SHU RU and SJU which will be interchangeable any year.

UConn will control it unfortunately
Whoa! Let’s not jump the gun. Danny has UCONN at 9-5, 0-2 in the AAC. Certainly its still early in his time at UCONN but i recall a few posters predict he’d have them in the FF in 3-4 years when he got hired. He has not proven yet that he can compete with the top teams in the AAC. Sure he’ll recruit well but the BE is a little tougher than the AAC.

For me it started on a forum called Big East Briefs, then I moved here at some point.

I love how salty a few of you are. Deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you knew if RU ever got it's s--t together, its ceiling is much higher than Seton Hall's. Long way to go until RU is the superior program but things are trending in a certain direction.
This. RU ran their team out of the gym just a few weeks ago. You can clearly see some people here are still bothered by it.

Reactions: Scangg
Guys, guys! What are we even debating here? It's January 8th. Let's put this in perspective.

We're talking about a team which hasn't even had a postseason since 2006 - almost fifteen years ago!
We're talking about a team which hasn't even made the tournament since 1991(1991!) - almost three full decades!
We're talking about a team which hasn't even won an NCAA tournament game since 1983!
We're talking about a team which hasn't even been to the round of sixteen since 1979(back when there were only 32 teams allowed)!
That's who they are. Less than zero. That's reality. Until proven otherwise, nothing else matters. Nothing changes. It's all just talk.

To put it in context, PJ was the Seton Hall coach(and still would be for several seasons)the last time they made the tournament. Putting it in terms of music history, when rutgers last won an NCAA tournament game, Springsteen's Born In The U.S.A. album was still a full calendar year away. The band U2's first US top 40 single was still a full calendar year away. Some of us weren't even born yet. To those of us who have not yet reached middle age, that seems like another lifetime ago. In terms of US politics, Reagan had not even been elected president when rutgers was last in the round of 16 - before expansion. The last time they won multiple games in the NCAA tournament, JAWS mania was just starting to die off. There was no STAR WARS yet. Think about that.

Again, it's January 8th. We know how quickly fortunes can change - for better or worse. It doesn't matter what conference they're(currently) in. It doesn't matter what special funding they have. It doesn't matter what their current "trajectory" is. It's all talk. That's all they have. Results matter.

Yes, they beat Seton Hall occasionally. (They rush the court too, so obviously it means a lot more to them than Seton Hall.) However, the facts clearly state that until they actually make or do something in the NCAA tournament, they are completely irrelevant. They are nothing. They've done nothing....for years. There's a map, and guess what? They're not on it. Until they do something, it's all talk from a desperate, success starved fan base who has gone from one major disaster, disappointment and embarrassment to another.

Case closed.

I've seen enough of Rutgers this year to concede they are legit. Would be kind of cool to see both us and them make the NCAAs. Would the selection committee create a possible match of us in a bracket......

Guys, guys! What are we even debating here? It's January 8th. Let's put this in perspective.

We're talking about a team which hasn't even had a postseason since 2006 - almost fifteen years ago!
We're talking about a team which hasn't even made the tournament since 1991(1991!) - almost three full decades!
We're talking about a team which hasn't even won an NCAA tournament game since 1983!
We're talking about a team which hasn't even been to the round of sixteen since 1979(back when there were only 32 teams allowed)!
That's who they are. Less than zero. That's reality. Until proven otherwise, nothing else matters. Nothing changes. It's all just talk.

To put it in context, PJ was the Seton Hall coach(and still would be for several seasons)the last time they made the tournament. Putting it in terms of music history, when rutgers last won an NCAA tournament game, Springsteen's Born In The U.S.A. album was still a full calendar year away. The band U2's first US top 40 single was still a full calendar year away. Some of us weren't even born yet. To those of us who have not yet reached middle age, that seems like another lifetime ago. In terms of US politics, Reagan had not even been elected president when rutgers was last in the round of 16 - before expansion. The last time they won multiple games in the NCAA tournament, JAWS mania was just starting to die off. There was no STAR WARS yet. Think about that.

Again, it's January 8th. We know how quickly fortunes can change - for better or worse. It doesn't matter what conference they're(currently) in. It doesn't matter what special funding they have. It doesn't matter what their current "trajectory" is. It's all talk. That's all they have. Results matter.

Yes, they beat Seton Hall occasionally. (They rush the court too, so obviously it means a lot more to them than Seton Hall.) However, the facts clearly state that until they actually make or do something in the NCAA tournament, they are completely irrelevant. They are nothing. They've done nothing....for years. There's a map, and guess what? They're not on it. Until they do something, it's all talk from a desperate, success starved fan base who has gone from one major disaster, disappointment and embarrassment to another.

Case closed.
That is one hell of a board debut.

Case closed.

You sir are the man! Epic first post.

A school whose home court is a 2000 seat gymnasium with a stage on one end of the court is "big brother." Awesome stuff.

If you use that logic you might as well accept you will always be the little bitch of big 10 football because SHI stadium is equivalent to a gym with a stage on one end.

So if Greg gets you to as many bowl games as Willard has taken us to NCAA tournaments this time around, will you still consider yourselves the little bitch of the big 10 because your stadium isn’t up to modern standards? No because on field matters and based on that in basketball over the last half century we are big brother.

And they keep trying to sell us RU is a much greater academic school. I’m hoping for RU’s sake you never were able to take a class there with that logic.

Don't you all think it would be a blast if SHU and RU were perennial top 25 teams? The rivalry would be awesome. I don't root against SHU anymore because we're in different leagues. My disdain for SHU turned 180 degrees when we went our separate ways. I'd love to see our games become the northeast equivalent of UNC/Duke.

Reactions: The Crows Nest
Since when was winning a home basketball game against Penn State a big deal? Since when did Penn State become a basketball school?

We beat Florida A&M at home this year. Should we have gone to the Rutgers board to talk some smack?

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
Have you asked kyk1827? Seriously, though, most of the ru folks who come here are good posters, even when they're rubbing our noses in it a bit. We all have friends who bleed Scarlet, but still hate losing to ru more than any other team. I am starting to enjoy beating Nova more, though -- they are not gracious in defeat.

Kyk is a psycho. He was recently ejected from a game for being a horse's bleep, and was pounding a conspiracy theory about Miles Powell not really being hurt for a week after the game.

Kyk is a psycho. He was recently ejected from a game for being a horse's bleep, and was pounding a conspiracy theory about Miles Powell not really being hurt for a week after the game.
Lol, thanks for the perspective.

I mean, who the hell gets tossed from a college basketball game? Maniacs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT