ADVERTISEMENT

25% of Americans will not take COVID Vaccine

I’ve not personally witnessed these issues
They must not have true friendship IMHO

I have. My wife has/had two friends who are against the Covid vaccines. With one of them they respect each other’s view and remain good friends and talk pretty much every day. The other went off the deep end and they couldn’t talk without that friend talking about her conspiracy theories. They grew apart because of that.

It's the people who let the issue consume them to the point that they can't talk about anything else. Happens on both sides of the argument.

A Day in the Life of Hall85

Woke up, fell out of bed
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and had a cup
And looking up the Met Gala, I noticed they had no masks
Grabbed my phone, to tell my friends
Posted Piratecrew in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs and went back to bed
And somebody spoke and I went into a dream.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
I have. My wife has/had two friends who are against the Covid vaccines. With one of them they respect each other’s view and remain good friends and talk pretty much every day. The other went off the deep end and they couldn’t talk without that friend talking about her conspiracy theories. They grew apart because of that.

It's the people who let the issue consume them to the point that they can't talk about anything else. Happens on both sides of the argument.
I find interesting your use of “off the deep end”

If they grew apart from that they probably were never that close of friends anyway, at least based on my definition of friendship

I find interesting your use of “off the deep end”

If they grew apart from that they probably were never that close of friends anyway, at least based on my definition of friendship
I tend to agree with you on the depth of that relationship. But what is curious to me is how it’s fractured families in some cases.

I tend to agree with you on the depth of that relationship. But what is curious to me is how it’s fractured families in some cases.

Coworkers for 4 years. Remained friends for the next 12.

Not sure how to quantify depth of friendship. They weren’t best friends but spoke often and got together for dinner / drinks probably once every other month. It just got to the point that the anti-vaccine stuff consumed her and that was all she wanted to talk about.

Coworkers for 4 years. Remained friends for the next 12.

Not sure how to quantify depth of friendship. They weren’t best friends but spoke often and got together for dinner / drinks probably once every other month. It just got to the point that the anti-vaccine stuff consumed her and that was all she wanted to talk about.
I don’t doubt it, because I’ve heard similar stories. My wife has a friend that brings up vaccination conversation every time they get together and she admitted to distancing herself from friends that have chosen not to vaccinate. Nice woman but she is over the top opinionated/a bit obsessed on the topic, She also “cut the line” when vaccines were introduced.

Really? I don’t have the time and rivals doesn’t offer the space to type all the stories I have of families being fractured for much less.

I don’t doubt it, because I’ve heard similar stories. My wife has a friend that brings up vaccination conversation every time they get together and she admitted to distancing herself from friends that have chosen not to vaccinate. Nice woman but she is over the top opinionated/a bit obsessed on the topic, She also “cut the line” when vaccines were introduced.
Interesting -never seen that anti vax/obstinate side. Ever. I guess it’s just who I’m around (or listen to)

I however know of liberal people who refuse to speak to those who 1) voted for DT, or 2) without belaboring the point, simply say I don’t want a vax mandate for XYZ reasons ;no conspiracy talk)

recently (last 6 months) had 3 different acquaintances suggest I’m the opposite of them and maybe a bad person because I said 1) I ran and got the vax after a world renowned doc said I should and 2) I dont think kids under 10 should be masked and 3) I don’t think it’s appropriate to mandate vax for non adults

still acquaintances for some reason ….but I guess what we can take of this is opinions are like butt holes and only some acquaintances and friendships survive

On another another note I’d like know know to make a song about me based on In My Life

wishing all Pirates health, happiness and the pursuit

Reactions: shu09
Many folks in my circle differ on the vaccine, mandate, lockdowns (or not) and the like. I'm not aware of one friendship or relationship that's been harmed because of differing views. It must just be my circle, and I consider myself fortunate for that given some of what others posted in this thread.

I did have one of my best friend's wives tell me a few years back that if our youngest child had been a girl (it was a boy), and we chose the name we landed on for a girl (it was going to be Melania), she would have "hated" the name. Even though using that name was going to be because of a familial connection; nothing to do with the former First Lady. Both me and her husband told her she was insane. But Trump brought that out in some people.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Deaths-Focus-on-Ages-0-18-Yea/nr4s-juj3

As of 9/15, total COVID deaths 0-18 since 1/1/20, 516 out of over 658,753 total deaths. 0.078% of total

5-18: Total 357 and Black/Hispanic make up 208 of that number. Why? vaccination rate, higher preponderance of comirbities? And this total age group has by far the lowest vaccination rate (not approved under 12).

I’m no scientist but given that healthy 0-18 year olds are not nearly as at risk for serious illness or death, wouldn’t we get to herd immunity faster by not trying to isolate/mask them?

Reactions: shu09
@Merge What happened to covid and kids in Florida? Will the governor have to close the schools? Was it media hysteria?
Think he already answered ….no major issues.
Second question is new so he hasn’t commented, I think
Third question I think he said yes at least in part, I think

but we’ll let the auditor respond, knees give a thumbs up and that guy hallballs support masking kids…and I’ll respond too.

same old same old.

how’s the retired life, by the way?

Apologies for the quietness recently. I had an issue with my employer I had to clear recently. Long story long is they were trying to force me to come back to the office. I told them I was not happy with their covid protocol ( no mask requirement). This back and forth occured for a couple weeks. HR and upper management had to get involved.

Once I mentioned the word "attorney" things changed quickly. I will be able to continue to stay at home and work from home for the next few months. Can't risk it with Delta in play and the next variant in a couple months.

Puzzling to me why people won’t take vaccine.We take a number of vaccines as kids ,take the flu vaccine ,pneumonia, shingles etc.Why is this vaccine feared by so many.
Really, why do you care? The reasons why some choose not to have been covered in ad nauseam.

Yep. Pediatric hospitalizations peaked in Florida right after kids went back to school. They started going down shortly after.

They proved that going back to school normally is safe for kids.

Yep. Pediatric hospitalizations peaked in Florida right after kids went back to school. They started going down shortly after.

And virtually no fatalities in children.

Did they prove it was safe for kids?

Not entirely accurate, the first two weeks of school the hospitalizations for kids were at the highest levels for the state during the entire pandemic, first two weeks Florida near top in nation in deaths and hospitalizations? How many kids missed school bc of covid related quarantine? Parents missed work? How many folks had sub care at hospitals bc it was overwhelmed with ICU’s filled up and transferring to other hospitals.

14 school districts now require masks correct? 3 of the biggest included? Vaccinations rates increases a lot during that time as well bc it was getting bad generally.

Yes it’s going down but you can’t say it proved the right decision. I would argue that many of those metrics would all be better if there were masks.

but we’ll let the auditor respond, knees give a thumbs up and that guy hallballs support masking kids…and I’ll respond too.

same old same old.

No major issues? Subjective, what is everyone threshold for loss of life, pediatric hospitalizations, loss of school bc of quarantine, subcare
for all non covid issues bc hospitals overrun by covid, elective procedures and check up put on hold.

Yes I strongly support masking kids in school indoors along with other mitigation tools especially while rates high.

Did they prove it was safe for kids?

Not entirely accurate, the first two weeks of school the hospitalizations for kids were at the highest levels for the state during the entire pandemic, first two weeks Florida near top in nation in deaths and hospitalizations? How many kids missed school bc of covid related quarantine? Parents missed work? How many folks had sub care at hospitals bc it was overwhelmed with ICU’s filled up and transferring to other hospitals.

14 school districts now require masks correct? 3 of the biggest included? Vaccinations rates increases a lot during that time as well bc it was getting bad generally.

Yes it’s going down but you can’t say it proved the right decision. I would argue that many of those metrics would all be better if there were masks.

That's fair, should have prefaced that it is my opinion... but yes, I do believe they have proven it is relatively safe for kids to be in school full time with no masks.

Quarantining kids is useless unless you are consistently testing 100% of the population, so in my opinion, any resulting quarantine for kids is just bad policy at this point.

The fact that pediatric hospitalizations were increasing before school started makes me think that even if kids were 100% virtual, the results would probably not be any different than they are today. Kids would still be getting sick from their family members or out and about playing somewhere.

The fact that it peaked right after they went back and didn't continue to go up for a few weeks makes me think that it has worked its way through most of the population there. The number of pediatric Covid hospitalizations in FL is under 150 currently out of 2 million kids. Of course I want that to be zero, but it is an extremely small number and it was higher before kids went back to school.

School doesn't seem to have added any additional risk than whatever else they were doing before school stared.

Using the bench mark of pediatric hospitalizations only is a flawed argument to say if it was the right decision or not and even using that as the only metric, it still higher than it was before school started.

That's fair, should have prefaced that it is my opinion... but yes, I do believe they have proven it is relatively safe for kids to be in school full time with no masks.

Quarantining kids is useless unless you are consistently testing 100% of the population, so in my opinion, any resulting quarantine for kids is just bad policy at this point.

The fact that pediatric hospitalizations were increasing before school started makes me think that even if kids were 100% virtual, the results would probably not be any different than they are today. Kids would still be getting sick from their family members or out and about playing somewhere.

The fact that it peaked right after they went back and didn't continue to go up for a few weeks makes me think that it has worked its way through most of the population there. The number of pediatric Covid hospitalizations in FL is under 150 currently out of 2 million kids. Of course I want that to be zero, but it is an extremely small number and it was higher before kids went back to school.

School doesn't seem to have added any additional risk than whatever else they were doing before school stared.

I would also add that at least half the students in florida still wear masks whether it is mandated or not and that is a very conservative estimate.

You acknowledge that Florida isn't testing enough down there for quarantining to work well but at the same time you don't think kids should to protect eachother from spread that isn't identified quick enough?

Also instead of acknowledging that missed school is a real problem with covid spread in Florida, and everywhere really, you ignore that that is a current very negative consequences of spread in school in Florida. Its like saying Hey, that person shouldn't have gone to the hospital when they were deathly sick, they should have died at home and that way the hospitalization amount would be lower.

I'm shocked that many adults here feel a strategy of just let the kids get it and work its way through system is something that you feel is okay with. I'm not, I want my kids in school and not get covid. At this time, masks are still key for both of those to be possible.

Not allowing schools to mandatory mask with high rates of community transition is STILL a bad move and harmful to Florida.

Using the bench mark of pediatric hospitalizations only is a flawed argument to say if it was the right decision or not and even using that as the only metric, it still higher than it was before school started.

That's not quite accurate.

The data I am using is here.

Schools opened August 19th. The 7 day average of pediatric admissions on that day was 54.

July 1st - 5
August 1st - 40
August 19th - 54
August 30th - Peaked at 68
Has been continuously declining through September down to 32 now.

Currently hospitalized with Covid when school started was 218 which is down to 147.

I'm not sure what other metric you would want to use.

Schools opened August 19th. The 7 day average of pediatric admissions on that day was 54.

July 1st - 5
August 1st - 40
August 19th - 54

Currently hospitalized with Covid when school started was 218 which is down to 147.

Talk about looking at numbers with different lenses, wow...they peaked during the first two weeks of school, not before school started 218 during the start of school is still with school?

Since July 1st, Florida has ranked 3rd in pediatric hospitalizations per capita of the states. There is also summer school and just because kids rates are down from a pandemic (2 year high) during the first two weeks of school doesn't make it a good decision.

July 1st - 5
August 1st - 40
August 19th - 54

Other metrics you can add as a potential consequences of not promoting masks, death rates, overall covid rate, loss of school due to quarantine/illness, loss of work for parents for the quarantine, long term effects of covid (unclear at this time but long covid is documented and for all those antivaxers that fear myocarditis many studies show high rates of that after recovery from covid).

Keep trying to convince yourself that they made a good decsion.

Talk about looking at numbers with different lenses, wow...they peaked during the first two weeks of school, not before school started 218 during the start of school is still with school?

Since July 1st, Florida has ranked 3rd in pediatric hospitalizations per capita of the states. There is also summer school and just because kids rates are down from a pandemic (2 year high) during the first two weeks of school doesn't make it a good decision.

My point was that the number of kids being hospitalized with Covid in Florida was not related to schools opening. The increase started well before kids went back to school. New admissions going down consistently since the end of October tells me the risk to kids from being in school is not that significant.

Other metrics you can add as a potential consequences of not promoting masks, death rates, overall covid rate, loss of school due to quarantine/illness, loss of work for parents for the quarantine, long term effects of covid (unclear at this time but long covid is documented and for all those antivaxers that fear myocarditis many studies show high rates of that after recovery from covid).

Keep trying to convince yourself that they made a good decsion.

Agree that Florida doesn't look good at all. That is a separate issue than kids in school and is a direct result of adults who are at risk not understanding they are at risk and choosing not to get vaccinated.

Agree that Florida doesn't look good at all. That is a separate issue than kids in school and is a direct result of adults who are at risk not understanding they are at risk and choosing not to get vaccinated.
Why is it a separate issue? What if kids are some of the spreaders to the vulnerable populations in Florida? Will kids be affected if they kill their grandma? Will kids be affected if they help the virus continue to mutate faster so current vaccines don’t work as well? Will kids be affected if the Emergency docs are exhausted and the kid goes to the hospital for an unrelated event? Will kids be affected if they miss school? Are some of you so cold hearted than the 218 or so pediatric patients who get so ill that they have to be admitted to hospitals are not worth putting a mask on?

While rates are high and there is no vaccine available to kids, just wear the damn mask. Vaccine for kids will hopefully be available around Halloween. I think maybe by February, k-12 schools can begin to relax some of the masks if rates are lower and vaccine is widely available.

My point was that the number of kids being hospitalized with Covid in Florida was not related to schools opening. The increase started well before kids went back to school. New admissions going down consistently since the end of October tells me the risk to kids from being in school is not that significant.
Do you think maybe the numbers would have gone down faster with more mask mandates? I don’t think masking would make pediatric hospitalizations reduce slower do you?

Why is it a separate issue? What if kids are some of the spreaders to the vulnerable populations in Florida? Will kids be affected if they kill their grandma?

It’s a separate issue because we’re taking about the impact to kids. Adults can be vaccinated, and the situation in Florida over the last couple months is a result of adults choosing not to get vaccinated.

Those adults then passed it on to their kids.
That’s why the increase started a month before school.

Look, I was willing to let the data tell the story here. Early results show that kids going to school did not cause a spike in hospitalizations. That’s a good thing. As a parent, I am relieved that Florida did not get worse as a result of kids going back to school.

Do you think maybe the numbers would have gone down faster with more mask mandates? I don’t think masking would make pediatric hospitalizations reduce slower do you?

Maybe. You’d have to compare the results in Florida to an area with significant community spread and where kids are wearing masks in schools.

What’s your bench mark hallballs?

I would also add that at least half the students in florida still wear masks whether it is mandated or not and that is a very conservative estimate.

You acknowledge that Florida isn't testing enough down there for quarantining to work well but at the same time you don't think kids should to protect eachother from spread that isn't identified quick enough?

Also instead of acknowledging that missed school is a real problem with covid spread in Florida, and everywhere really, you ignore that that is a current very negative consequences of spread in school in Florida. Its like saying Hey, that person shouldn't have gone to the hospital when they were deathly sick, they should have died at home and that way the hospitalization amount would be lower.

I'm shocked that many adults here feel a strategy of just let the kids get it and work its way through system is something that you feel is okay with. I'm not, I want my kids in school and not get covid. At this time, masks are still key for both of those to be possible.

Not allowing schools to mandatory mask with high rates of community transition is STILL a bad move and harmful to Florida.
As I said before and you ignored if Covid is an issue for children you need stronger measures than masking. Remember?

It’s a separate issue because we’re taking about the impact to kids. Adults can be vaccinated, and the situation in Florida over the last couple months is a result of adults choosing not to get vaccinated.

Those adults then passed it on to their kids.
That’s why the increase started a month before school.

Look, I was willing to let the data tell the story here. Early results show that kids going to school did not cause a spike in hospitalizations. That’s a good thing. As a parent, I am relieved that Florida did not get worse as a result of kids going back to school.
We disagree a lot here.

It’s not a separate issue, it’s all connected. It’s like peeing in a community pool, just bc a few kids are peeing on the other end doesn’t mean it’s not going to spread to you.

What’s your bench mark hallballs?
There is a lot, so much missed school, community mortality rates, overall covid positive rates, hospitalizations for kids and adults, hospital capacity ICU/personnel/etc. and yes pediatric hospitalizations and death. Covid will affect you even if you don’t mask and don’t get sick…cancelation of elective procedures, subpar care when you have a non covid emergency.

Florida is pretty high on all of these metrics right now. Maybe the state peaked 2 weeks into school for pediatric hospitalizations and overall hospitalizations but still way too high to ignore covid exists by not using proven mitigation strategies.

I think the Hospitalizations of 200 plus Florida kids might be worth masking all the kids by itself but when you add all the other stuff it’s not even a debate in my mind.

The less it spreads the better off we all are, not just short term but long term as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT