ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone who posts

Writing this is the equivalent of a reporter at his announcement asking if he's a stretch to play in the BE since he may be better suited for the A-10. You don't do that during his celebration of making his commitment. That was Zach did, hack job.

100% and I would defend any of our commitments in an article like this

you guys are ridiculous. You make it like he hurled insults at Walker or something. He was slightly critical of a kid and then followed it up with praise. Non-issue.

The whole premise of the article was if the kid was a reach or not using an unnamed source of a rival coach. I have never read a commitment article written in this tone before I have been following recruiting for 20 years. You don't bash other schools commits in the paper. Classless article.

Reactions: Bluebeard
It stinks of a sju coach, if u recruit tps would you risk that comment getting back to the tps coaches?

It was a trashy article, no reason for that spin when the kid had numerous high major offers.
If it was an SJU coach, not real strategic to insult a TPS kid. I am not outraged by what was said, but I agree, articles about a kid committing to a local school should be positive.

Hope this is true, but some of the things you were saying late last week on the Trove about PGs has me not sure.

There is a huge difference between me making an evaluation on a pay message board vs something being written in a paper that is suppose to be of a celebratory nature. I even said that if our staff chose Wheeler, he would have my support from day 1.

If it was an SJU coach, not real strategic to insult a TPS kid. I am not outraged by what was said, but I agree, articles about a kid committing to a local school should be positive.

When is the last time SJU had a TPS or St Pats player on their team. I'm sure there isn't much love loss there.

There is a huge difference between me making an evaluation on a pay message board vs something being written in a paper that is suppose to be of a celebratory nature. I even said that if our staff chose Wheeler, he would have my support from day 1.

Of course message board is different, and I agree with you that article was poorly written, as you never see that in a commitment type article.

But I was responding to what you said "I would defend any of our commitments in an article like this", question is if a writer questioned a different player than Walker, would you have been so vocal?

What I don't understand is why so many are piling on Artie for defending our newest Pirate. It is fascinating (and confusing) to sit back sometimes and watch you guys attack each other for such petty things as minor exaggeration and poor word choice. Mind boggling.

Go Pirates?????????

Of course message board is different, and I agree with you that article was poorly written, as you never see that in a commitment type article.

But I was responding to what you said "I would defend any of our commitments in an article like this", question is if a writer questioned a different player than Walker, would you have been so vocal?

I am pretty sure it wouldn't of been much different of a response if it was Sandro, Brodie, Gill, or Cale. If Wheeler had committed and that article was written, I'd be equally ticked. No room for that in a commitment article of any kind.

Alright Steve, I will play with you on this one.

1st, nobody ranked him in 2017 because nobody knew he was eligable for 2017. He had said he was going to prep, thus he was ranked in 2018 by Rivals. Rivals bumped him up due to his improved play during the school year. Scout, 247, and Rivals are not going to redo their 2017 rankings based on one kid switching from 2018 to 2017 in May.

2nd, I am allowed to like whatever recruit I feel like liking. I put the time in to watch players live and as highlights and game videos. I am objective to my opinion. I never said Walker was better then Duval. My opinion is that Walker is a player equivalent to a low 4 star in the 90-110 range. If you think that's bias or whatever you want to think, fine.

3rd, I have listed what Walker's flaws are since I have seen him live. He is slight of build and has trouble finishing in traffic. Defense will be a problem vs bigger PGs.

4th Maybe I was championing a position from my sources. I have a very good idea of what happened, it differs from what others say.

5th The article was a low blow cheap shot using an unnamed rival coach quote in an article about a kid committing to his school of choice. It was bullshit, plain in simple.

He was listed as 2017 all over the place. He was a HS senior. Scout, ESPN, 24/7, various articles mention it... I guess they knew! His reclassification to 2018 was never confirmed. There were various articles posted in which he openly talked about the uncertainty of reclassifying. BTW, nobody said you can't like a recruit or stated you thought Walker was better than Duval. Not sure what your point is. Although, I would recommend not watching two short highlight clips of a 2 star player with a few low level offers, creating a narrative about how he's under-recruited, and calling him 100% not a reach...only to watch him commit to Rice a few days later. I'll give it a rest now as it appears you've had a difficult week.

For clarity purposes, I am very happy with the Walker commitment. I'm excited to see him play.

You have a severe case of diagnosis bias, sprinkled with hypocrisy. You have been painfully unable to be objective about Walker. It's right there on the Trove (I highly recommend a trove membership for those that don't have one) in writing. I'll be general as to not give away Trove content.

For 2017, Walker was a consensus 3 star and not in any Top 100s. You've gladly ignored that in favor of his 2018, 4 star Top 100 ranking, while challenging anyone daring to call him 3 star. He is a 2017 recruit, not 2018. You're also dressing his offer list up with your description.

In Trove conversations, you consistently ignore the player's flaws and/or legitimate concerns about the player. There's an objective conversation to be had. Our staff was having it. Others, who are fans of the player and happy with the commit were having it. You've been incapable of doing so.

There was certain information regarding a hold-up in the commitment (get a Trove subscription if you care to know). You consistently championed a differing story. You were ultimately proven wrong by someone who couldn't even scoop ice cream in a Baskin-Robbins and a highly reliable poster, but you declared you'll be sticking with your sources instead.

If the commit was a different player and the same article was written, you would absolutely not have the same reaction. You were losing your mind when people inaccurately thought the commitment was not Walker, criticizing the staff's decision. Later, when it became apparent the commit was Walker, you post that no one should criticize the staff's recruiting. That was pretty funny.

lol

that hacket piece that Braziller just up on Walker in the NY Post will catch so much heat from me, it won't be funny.

Braziller calls him a 3 star recruit, doesn't mention that Rivals listed him as a 4 star.

Quotes an unnamed Coach who says he is a reach.

Doesn't mention how he played vs Duval, Quinerly, or any of the other big time PG's he went up against this year.

If anyone who covers college bball in the area, it's that St John's loving @#$%^& Braziller.

Actually I like it.
Gives Walker incentive to prove him wrong.
Not that he needs it, but never under estimate the power of being under rated, especially for an athlete

He was listed as 2017 all over the place. He was a HS senior. Scout, ESPN, 24/7, various articles mention it... I guess they knew! His reclassification to 2018 was never confirmed. There were various articles posted in which he openly talked about the uncertainty of reclassifying. BTW, nobody said you can't like a recruit or stated you thought Walker was better than Duval. Not sure what your point is. Although, I would recommend not watching two short highlight clips of a 2 star player with a few low level offers, creating a narrative about how he's under-recruited, and calling him 100% not a reach...only to watch him commit to Rice a few days later. I'll give it a rest now as it appears you've had a difficult week.

My week was fine and I stand by the kid going to Rice being under-recruited. I think he will end up being a nice player there. Watch him transfer up in a couple of years.

You want to be a #$%^& have fun Stevie boy.

What I don't understand is why so many are piling on Artie for defending our newest Pirate. It is fascinating (and confusing) to sit back sometimes and watch you guys attack each other for such petty things as minor exaggeration and poor word choice. Mind boggling.

Go Pirates?????????

I could care less honestly. I stand by my stance that Zach's article was unprofessional. I assume the TPS Staff and our Staff weren't too fond of it.

SteveH can have his opinion of me. I have been posting for a long time and I am sure I can rub people the wrong way. I think I am a very good poster with some great sources who has brought lots of info to this board through the years.

My week was fine and I stand by the kid going to Rice being under-recruited. I think he will end up being a nice player there. Watch him transfer up in a couple of years.

You want to be a #$%^& have fun Stevie boy.

LOL. 100%!

Sorry Artie, but I don't have a Trove membership and seem to recall a pretty ridiculous post you decided to write because it was thought Wheeler was committing.

Free site, plain and simple for all to see, kicking a kid we thought was about to commit.

Sorry Artie, but I don't have a Trove membership and seem to recall a pretty ridiculous post you decided to write because it was thought Wheeler was committing.

Free site, plain and simple for all to see, kicking a kid we thought was about to commit.

My opinion was that Walker was the significantly better player and if we took Wheeler, it would be a mistake. This is a Seton Hall Fan message board where we post opinions on Seton Hall Basketball. I made a personal evaluation on Wheeler that shouldn't be worth much to the parent of a HS recruit. I didn't kick anyone, I simply watched film and said he wasn't better then Walker.

Zach writes for the NYP. Walker's mother and father had to read an article in one of NYC's largest newspapers the day of their son's commitment questioning his talent and if he was good enough to play at this level with quotes from an actual unnamed basketball coach who gets paid 6 figures to do that job.

There is a huge difference between the two.

I will ask Dan to lock this post, I am done explaining it and sick of talking about. We are all pretty happy that Walker is officially a Pirate. Wheeler is happy he is a Nittany Lion. Let's go Hall.

Better to just let this go now than to lock it.

Everyone has said their piece and now let's move on. Nothing new is being added other than the continuation of hard feelings toward each other.

Thank you

Love the passion on this thread from our posters. Not directed towards anyone but it reminds me of a great line in Stripes. "Lighten up Francis!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT