ADVERTISEMENT

April recruiting tweets

It seems like Coach Holloway has had a difficult time early on recruiting high school players since arriving at Seton Hall. This is likely a NIL problem that hopefully gets corrected soon. With that said, for Seton Hall to make significant improvements in the next two seasons it will clearly have to be through the transfer portal since help from high school recruiting doesn't appear to be on the way anytime soon.

Reactions: Powerful Pirates
FtXj8UMWAAob6ka

I'm not sure if I posted this already, but you are seeing this even in sports like wrestling - Aaron Nagao was a freshman All-American, finishing an amazing 5th place at the NCAA tournament. He wrestles at Minnesota, which is a solid wrestling school (Gable Steveson wrestled there).

Nagao is already in the portal - rumors are he's going to Penn State, which is the top dog in wrestling. The rumor is NIL is the reason. It's really making a mockery of "amateur" sports.

FWIW.

I'm not sure if I posted this already, but you are seeing this even in sports like wrestling - Aaron Nagao was a freshman All-American, finishing an amazing 5th place at the NCAA tournament. He wrestles at Minnesota, which is a solid wrestling school (Gable Steveson wrestled there).

Nagao is already in the portal - rumors are he's going to Penn State, which is the top dog in wrestling. The rumor is NIL is the reason. It's really making a mockery of "amateur" sports.

FWIW.
Wrestling guys have been doing this for a while - theres no team NCAA championship, just individual winners, so these guys are always looking out for themselves, and how to best advance themselves, because that is how the sport is based.

Reactions: TomD82
We need imm help and that doesn't happen with most freshmen. Thus instead of building blocks we are targeting seasoned portal transfers.
And how long will it take before we no longer have to rely on the Transfer Portal ? The Portal is here to stay IMO and every program has to accept that. Just as with pro sports where salaries always rise each year the demands for what it will cost to get the top freshman will grow every year unless caps are put in place , a difficult task to achieve .

And how long will it take before we no longer have to rely on the Transfer Portal ? The Portal is here to stay IMO and every program has to accept that. Just as with pro sports where salaries always rise each year the demands for what it will cost to get the top freshman will grow every year unless caps are put in place , a difficult task to achieve .
unless it collapses under its own weight
a possibility indeed

Reactions: TomD82 and Burnsly
Tick tock. Still waiting
Last year's transfers, along with the date their transfer decision was reported:
  1. KC Ndefo - May 28
  2. Al-Amir Dawes - May 4
  3. Dre Davis - April 29
  4. Femi - May 8
KC's decision date is a bit encouraging that we have time left. The others, not so much. We're only about 50% through the portal period and kids are still entering every day.

Reactions: DIMEDISHA13
Last year's transfers, along with the date their transfer decision was reported:
  1. KC Ndefo - May 28
  2. Al-Amir Dawes - May 4
  3. Dre Davis - April 29
  4. Femi - May 8
KC's decision date is a bit encouraging that we have time left. The others, not so much. We're only about 50% through the portal period and kids are still entering every day.
And outside of KC none where top targets. Concept is hit portal fast and hard. Secure your top targets asap, otherwise we will be getting next best available.

Hitting the portal fast and hard is one strategy, but not the only viable one. You may know or be in discussions with kids who haven't declared yet. You may be waiting to see how your own roster shakes out before determining ultimate strategy. The kids willing to "pop" first may be no better than 3 kids you can "wait for" to see how other avenues play out.

Hitting the portal fast and hard is one strategy, but not the only viable one. You may know or be in discussions with kids who haven't declared yet. You may be waiting to see how your own roster shakes out before determining ultimate strategy. The kids willing to "pop" first may be no better than 3 kids you can "wait for" to see how other avenues play out.
yes but when you have limited funds, you need to be able to close quickly - a challenge I recognize but if not you are going to be picking up the crumbs

tough spot for Sha to be in - one of those "hindsight is always 20/20" situations. I wouldn't be surprised if he's criticized either way.. "You should've waited for x player!" "You should've pursued x player while you had the chance!"

yes but when you have limited funds, you need to be able to close quickly - a challenge I recognize but if not you are going to be picking up the crumbs
What if they are talking to kids who haven't yet entered the portal and are more realistic and better possibilities? Look, the reality is we don't know. The coach gets paid $$$ to put a good team on the floor come the fall of 2023. Until I see who we have and how they look, I don't judge either way. I don't get caught up in the annual summer hype train that we know is coming, and I don't get caught up in the negative-NIL/doomsday stuff.

LSU and Cuse, Xavier, and Prov?

So I guess we are probably not going to get this kid?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT