ADVERTISEMENT

Big East COY

ehh that preseason poll should hold weight. juggernaut team ends up being juggernaut.

meanwhile sha has island of misfit toys in the dance. in a tough league.
UConn didn’t get a single vote for first. Marquette and Creighton were considered the juggernauts.

Reactions: shu09
1Kansas(46)1548
2Duke (11)1466
3Purdue (3)1436
4Michigan State (1)1346
5Marquette1283
6Connecticut (2)1243
7Houston1117
8Creighton1099
9Tennessee1032
10Florida Atlantic1011
11Gonzaga830
12Arizona776
13Miami (FL)750
14Arkansas685
15Texas A&M597
16Kentucky530
17San Diego State529
18Texas493
19North Carolina474
20Baylor431
21Southern Cal427
22Villanova395
23Saint Mary's335
24Alabama163
25Illinois104

Here's how I look at it.

There are only three conferences of 32 in the NCAA where the leader/winner has a four-game lead,: America East, Patriot and Big East.

Three conferences have three or more teams in the NET top 15: Big East, Big 12 and SEC.

The Big 12 and SEC have a combined margin between the top two teams of three games (Houston +1 and Tennessee +2). The Big East has a four-game difference in the standings. That's over 19 games, so far.

I realize it's not an apples to apples comparison but five of the six NBA division leaders have a lead of four or fewer games and that's over more than 60 games.

What UConn has done this year is incredibly impressive -- and trust me it hurts me to type that. They're not simply the best team in a top league, they've dominated. They're on the very short list for the best team in the country. If someone thinks Sha deserves BE COY, there's an argument to be made. I think Danny has a better one.

Reactions: sami
Danny also had the 5 star McD AA freshman of the year. A 2nd team and an honorable mention preseason. Sha had none.

To me, one coach did a remarkable job of assembling talent and maximizing his NIL opportunities. He’s navigated through egos and has done a great job of keeping his players happy and playing at an incredibly high level.

The other coach squeezed blood from a stone with a roster that lost their second best player last year (Samuel), arguably the player with the most upside (Tae Davis) and two defensive stalwarts (Ndefo and Odukale). Not NBA worthy, but for SHU all players that would absolutely have helped them this year.

I’ve read on here how DH had to replace NBA players with 3 - top 50 incoming freshman and a high level transfer in Cam Spencer. A little different from the castaways that Shaheen took in with Bediako, Wusu and EHE. Seton Hall’s 6th man is a freshman who decommitted from Charleston.

I’m not saying Danny hasn’t done a truly remarkable job with the roster he has. He got many of his reserves last year to step up this year and they’ve played cohesively and filled the roles of his guys from last year.

It’s a really tough call and I don’t think either one is a clear COY. Each has a case with what they’ve done with the talent on their roster.

I could see it go either way.

I also think this won’t be either coach’s only chance at this award over the next 5-10 years.

Not sure why that matter so much in how Big East coaches viewed Big East teams and how those coaches would judge performance over expectations.
because its not like uconn was viewed as little sisters of the poor. i think national consensus was that they were still a juggernaut after dominating the ncaa the previous year.

is anyone shocked the defending national champions are 1st in the Big East? thats a crazy result?

because its not like uconn was viewed as little sisters of the poor. i think national consensus was that they were still a juggernaut after dominating the ncaa the previous year.

is anyone shocked the defending national champions are 1st in the Big East? thats a crazy result?
I am shocked that they’ve lost 2 games and have a 4-game lead in the field, yes. They have dominated when coaches did not expect that, coaches closest to the teams, not lazy pollsters.

I am shocked that they’ve lost 2 games and have a 4-game lead in the field, yes. They have dominated when coaches did not expect that, coaches closest to the teams, not lazy pollsters.
id personally say shu outdid their expectations more. theyre not just better than expected but also dancing. if they end up getting tie for 2nd then i don't think it should even be close.

Hopefully the team will play with the same intensity this question has spurred from the fanbase.

Either side can make a valid argument in this debate.

Right now I have it as

1. Hurley
1A. Holloway

Reactions: sami and Bluebeard
That's what I posted previously. Hurley will not win many personality contests and that gives Holloway hope.

That said I think he'll eventually reach elite coaching status if he stays in the game long enough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT