I'll keep him here despite last night

8. Miller
Season was ruined before it started

9. Matta
Just about right were they were expected to be

10. Cooley
He might be the one laughing next season

11. Stubblefield/Brady
THe only humorous thing here is to see how few fans watch or attend their game.

It’s Hurley.

I’d put English right in the Holloway discussion though. Providence was voted 7th preseason and lost their best player (and, yes, coming into the season Hopkins was viewed by everyone as their best player, regardless of how Carter has stepped up in his absence).

Reactions: Nbnylon and LBP43
It's certainly worthy of discussion. But they're going to finish .500 in the conference and in my particular opinion that's a good job, but not a great job. Especially with it being so difficult to win at Amica Mutual Pavilion.

Let's see how others view it.

It’s Hurley.

I’d put English right in the Holloway discussion though. Providence was voted 7th preseason and lost their best player (and, yes, coming into the season Hopkins was viewed by everyone as their best player, regardless of how Carter has stepped up in his absence).
I get what you’re saying, but he didn’t lose Hopkins for the entire season. And there is a lot of other talent on that team as we’ve seen.

Trying to be objective, Hurley should get it. Has there ever been Co- coaches share the award?

I get what you’re saying, but he didn’t lose Hopkins for the entire season. And there is a lot of other talent on that team as we’ve seen.

Trying to be objective, Hurley should get it. Has there ever been Co- coaches share the award?
Technically there could be. You can’t vote for yourself which leaves 10 others voting.

1. Hurley
2. Holloway
3. Smart
4. McDermott
5. English
6. Matta
7. Pitino
8. Neptune
9. Miller
10. Cooley
11. Stubblefield

Mentioned elsewhere is I wonder how much this NIL era plays into it. It’s constantly on coaches’ minds. They talk about it and are asked about it almost incessantly. And for those who are living and breathing like coaches, I wonder if that has any sway to how they look at the job Holloway has done. Yes we all know about the preseason 9th ranking but that occurred because of our roster. All last offseason the word out there was Seton Hall wouldn’t be able to compete. We lost a great player because of it (Samuel) and couldn’t seal the deal on others. The other coaches in the league know that and what’s gone on. Plus we were left for dead in December, it validating our NIL problem. Then he takes Hurley to school and here we are, even to our own amazement.

Even Providence has a much better situation and because of that could stay competitive without Hopkins (not to take anything away from Kim English as he’s done a great job too).

Hurley is the bar. They’ve been dominant. They’re likely going to finish 18-2, they won the BE RS outright for the first time in 25 years, they’re the defending champs. But Holloway’s performance has been outstanding.

1. Holloway
Seton Hall's finish year, relative to expectations, is even more remarkable to me than what Danny did at UConn, which is also extraordinary. But Hurley retained a number of very good players from last year and had the resources - in personal recruiting talent, but also funding - to restock the shelves.

2. Hurley
Is going to win another national championship, but my money was on that by Thanksgiving. I figured he'd win the league, which to his credit, he has. A terrific year.

3. Smart
Would be an excellent choice for this award in many other years. He's really good.

4. McDermott
Always seems to be right there.

5. English
Kept the team and the program together after the emotionally-charged exit of Cooley, and brought in key pieces to keep them competitive in this brutal league, even after the injury to one of his two best guys.

6. Pitino
Has the Johnnies playing well after a thorough rebuild in just a brief time period.

7. Matta
Is bringing Butler back. A lot of progress this year.

8. Neptune
I'm confident he will succeed there, but he is on the hook for their rough early season and rupture in the Big 5.

9. Miller
I expected better.

10. Cooley
Good thing for DePaul.

11. Stubblefield/Brady
The worst team in Big East history. Truly abysmal.

Mentioned elsewhere is I wonder how much this NIL era plays into it. It’s constantly on coaches’ minds. They talk about it and are asked about it almost incessantly. And for those who are living and breathing like coaches, I wonder if that has any sway to how they look at the job Holloway has done. Yes we all know about the preseason 9th ranking but that occurred because of our roster. All last offseason the word out there was Seton Hall wouldn’t be able to compete. We lost a great player because of it (Samuel) and couldn’t seal the deal on others. The other coaches in the league know that and what’s gone on. Plus we were left for dead in December, it validating our NIL problem. Then he takes Hurley to school and here we are, even to our own amazement.

Even Providence has a much better situation and because of that could stay competitive without Hopkins (not to take anything away from Kim English as he’s done a great job too).

Hurley is the bar. They’ve been dominant. They’re likely going to finish 18-2, they won the BE RS outright for the first time in 25 years, they’re the defending champs. But Holloway’s performance has been outstanding.
If ever there was a reason for co-champs this would be the year.

Don't see it but fingers crossed.

Yes, Providence was under-ranked preseason. But if you removed Hopkins from their roster preseason, they would have been lower, probably even lower than Seton Hall given English's first year in the Big East. They essentially lost their best player, a first team all BE player last year, and projected first team all BE player this year, for most of the conference schedule. Losing a guy like that is even harder on the fly than say what Sean Miller had to deal with -- replacing his 2 best returning front court players -- because you have to adjust most everything you planned on doing in-season, as opposed to preseason. And they didn't have a replacement for that 4 spot.

Sure, that team has talent beyond Hopkins. Carter developed into one of the best players in the league. Oduro is a good big. Pierre and Gaines have their moments for sure. But we also have more talent than most thought with Dre's emergence/improvement and Bediako handling his role far better.

Reactions: LBP43
If ever there was a reason for co-champs this would be the year.

Don't see it but fingers crossed.
I don't see how Hurley doesn't get it. I know folks don't like him or Uconn. I get it. Of course Uconn is loaded talent-wise. But he replaced 3 NBA draftees from his starting lineup. They weren't picked to win the league for a reason. For them to be where they are at now in a league that has a lot of teams in the 4-9 range that can knock you off on a given night is impressive.

Shaheen took a team that was picked 9th, then played the OOC like it was 10th. And then he got them to play like Seton hall played the BE season. He is my COY with no hesitation.

I am very happy with Dan's success and he was terrific. English did a great job. McD and Shaka too.

But I am all in with the Great Shaheen!

Shaheen took a team that was picked 9th, then played the OOC like it was 10th. And then he got them to play like Seton hall played the BE season. He is my COY with no hesitation.

I am very happy with Dan's success and he was terrific. English did a great job. McD and Shaka to.

lol at the first line 🤣🤣 So true.

Since this is Review time of the year, If you’re picked third and wind up first you are between Met Expectations and over achieved That’s a 3.5
If you’re picked 9th and windup 4th, possibly 3rd, you over achieved. That’s a 4.0.

I am very happy with Dan's success and he was terrific. English did a great job. McD and Shaka too.

Which raises a point on voting. Who did the best job in the conference schedule or for the overall season? I don’t know if there is establish criteria, but it can have an impact on the voting, depending on how you look at it as well.

Reactions: shupat08
1 - Hurley
2 - Holloway
3 - Smart
4 - Pitino
5 - McDermott
6 - English
7 - Matta
8 - Neptune
9 - Miller
10 - Cooley
11 - Stubblefield

I don't see how Hurley doesn't get it. I know folks don't like him or Uconn. I get it. Of course Uconn is loaded talent-wise. But he replaced 3 NBA draftees from his starting lineup. They weren't picked to win the league for a reason. For them to be where they are at now in a league that has a lot of teams in the 4-9 range that can knock you off on a given night is impressive.
They weren't even in the Preseason Top 25.

Reactions: dehere23

2023-24 Big East Men’s Basketball Preseason Poll​

PlaceSchoolPoints
1Marquette (7)96
2Creighton (4)92
3UConn79
4Villanova76
5St. John's59
6Xavier57
7Providence51
8Georgetown34
9Seton Hall30
10Butler16
11DePaul15

2023-24 Big East Men’s Basketball Preseason Poll​

PlaceSchoolPoints
1Marquette (7)96
2Creighton (4)92
3UConn79
4Villanova76
5St. John's59
6Xavier57
7Providence51
8Georgetown34
9Seton Hall30
10Butler16
11DePaul15
If the coaches look at these numbers that they put up at the beginning of this season, Sha should get the award.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
To date

1. Hurley
Can't see it going any other way

2. Holloway
In any other year he'd be a near SHU in

3. Smart
Since no one else overachieved

4. McDermott
Ditto

5. Pitino
Love him or not, his team is now playing as expected and are dangerous

6. English
High quality job after losing Hopkins

7. Neptune

8. Miller

9. Matta

10. Cooley

11. Stubblefield/Brady
So you’re saying someone from SH will be COY. I can live with that. 😎

I think Shaheen. Seton Hall was expected at the bottom of the Big East. To finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th due to tie breakers from 9th place is a huge accomplishment. The difference between 1-3 in the Big East is negligible. Is anyone really surprised that UConn finished first? But I bet everyone is surprised that Seton Hall’s finish. Sha deserves it. This team has very limited talent and yet look at their record.

It should be Danny, then everybody else... led by Shaheen. Who votes: only the 11 coaches?
An above poster suggested that NIL monies might play a role. (Every time I ask a specific NIL question, the response is "That's a great question.") Do the coaches know how the eleven teams rank in NIL dollars?

Reactions: Bud Boomer
To date

1. Hurley
Can't see it going any other way

2. Holloway
In any other year he'd be a near SHU in

3. Smart
Since no one else overachieved

4. McDermott
Ditto

5. Pitino
Love him or not, his team is now playing as expected and are dangerous

6. English
High quality job after losing Hopkins

7. Neptune

8. Miller

9. Matta

10. Cooley

11. Stubblefield/Brady
Could be another Split like with Nova...

Maybe Pitino wasn't so outlandish with that press conference after all....I'd say it got his team to play a little harder, no?

Reactions: HALL85
It should be Danny, then everybody else... led by Shaheen. Who votes: only the 11 coaches?
An above poster suggested that NIL monies might play a role. (Every time I ask a specific NIL question, the response is "That's a great question.") Do the coaches know how the eleven teams rank in NIL dollars?
I actually think it’s Danny and Sha and then everybody else. Both have exceeded expectations by far.

I don't think anyone knows how anyone ranks in NIL dollars. I think there is misinformation galore out there. In fact, I've been told repeatedly by folks connected to NJ basketball prep "powers" and even folks connected to some low level D-I hoops that you can't believe most anything you hear. Staffs use lack of NIL to make up for recruiting failure, some say. Others note that you would not believe that the numbers that "X" player asked for, compared to another. Others have told me examples of hearing kids taking far less than what they can get from others to play for a particular coach (I posted this earlier in the summer, about Pitino, because the info I heard on the level of NIL he had available when he first came over was night-and-day less than what's been speculated about here, and honestly their roster construction shows that). Whereas the same guys told me that Creighton, Uconn, Nova, and X (I believe) in particular were well-positioned from what they had heard. It's all second, third or fourth hand.

Ultimately, I think it is all a mystery. Bottom line though is that every high major program has incentive to "leak" or flat-out tell their fan base that they need more NIL. What's the downside? It is isn't coming from the coaches pocket. So why wouldn't you portray any program as needing more fan support, more $, more NIL, because there is no downside to having it, and if you don't you can use lack of it as an excuse.

Reactions: MBF72
UCONN no doubt best team in league and one of the top 3 in country. However, I just think Sha so far exceeded expectations (it was really his coaching that got SHU to be in the discussion for the dance) it's tough not picking him

Reactions: silkcitypirate
UCONN no doubt best team in league and one of the top 3 in country. However, I just think Sha so far exceeded expectations (it was really his coaching that got SHU to be in the discussion for the dance) it's tough not picking him
Sha did a good job. Preseason 9th to 4th, as an example, is a good jump. We are only a win or two ahead of many teams below us, but also not far off from two teams above us. More than made up for the OOC disaster with the in-conference performance. I put English in the discussion because they were picked 7th and lost their best player -- we didn't. And they aren't far off from us.

As SPK pointed out though, Uconn goes from not being ranked in the preseason top 25 to easily the best team in the league and arguably the best team in the country. That dominance is why Hurley gets it for me.

As SPK pointed out though, Uconn goes from not being ranked in the preseason top 25 to easily the best team in the league and arguably the best team in the country. That dominance is why Hurley gets it for me.
A lot of people saw this coming, though. I was surprised they weren't picked to win the league, and they absolutely should've been ranked (I'm shocked they weren't, but I don't pay much attention to that). I think I said before that they felt like a repeat national champ to me early on, certainly by the first week of December, at leas to me. That's obviously after the season started and well after the voting, but this team was not a surprise to me at all ... and I wasn't the only one saying it, not by a long shot.

Hurley is obviously the architect and builder who put this thing together, and that is to his credit. It's hard to argue against him being BE COY (though I'm trying!), given the way Sha got out team to way outperform expectations. Hell, we even smoked Danny's team once (even if we had the favor returned twofold), which is something only one other team in this league can say.

They weren't even in the Preseason Top 25.
UConn? They absolutely were. No. 6 in the AP poll and No. 5 in the Coaches poll.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT