Can anyone other than Sha/Miller beat him on his own court

5. Smart
6 in a row moves him up. But 2 games against UConn will tell the story

6. Miller
Handling the injuries well. 3 wins in a row albeit as favorites

7. Pitino
Next three games will give a better idea

8. McDermott
Preseason top ten to 16-7, 7-5 which should be 15-8, 6-6 if the whistle at the Rock was fair

9. Neptune
The natives are getting restless

10. Cooley
Once respected now vilified

11. Stubblefield/Brady
It almost doesn't matter who coaches this mess

Reactions: Duego Duck
1. Hurley
2. Holloway
3. Matta
4. Miller
5. Smart
6. English
7. McDermott
8. Pitino
9. Neptune
10. Cooley
11. Stubblefield

Clearly you are one of our best posters. But I would ask in the future that you qualify your list as I enjoy reading reasons behind choices.

1 - Hurley
2 - Holloway
3 - Matta
4 - Smart
5 - Miller
6 - McDermott
7 - English
8 - Pitino
9 - Cooley
10 - Neptune
11 - Stubblefield

1. Hurley - This is his award to win, Defending National Champs and are ranked #1. He's earned it up til now.

2. Sha - Has done the most with what he has - no question. But not enough to top Hurley

3. Smart - Top 10 team with only chance to catch UConn in BE

4. Matta - Showing he has more left in the tank
5. Miller - Team in contention for NCAA despite 2 major injuries
6. McDermott - Great coach but a lot of strong coaches in BE now
7. English - Lost best player, holding own in Year 1

8. Pitino - Feels a bit underwhelming

9. Neptune - Feel's like Sha's opposite
10.. Cooley - Record speaks for itself, will take some time

11. Stubblefield

1. Hurley - This is his award to win, Defending National Champs and are ranked #1. He's earned it up til now.

2. Sha - Has done the most with what he has - no question. But not enough to top Hurley

3. Smart - Top 10 team with only chance to catch UConn in BE

4. Matta - Showing he has more left in the tank
5. Miller - Team in contention for NCAA despite 2 major injuries
6. McDermott - Great coach but a lot of strong coaches in BE now
7. English - Lost best player, holding own in Year 1

8. Pitino - Feels a bit underwhelming

9. Neptune - Feel's like Sha's opposite
10.. Cooley - Record speaks for itself, will take some time

11. Stubblefield
I’d have English 5 but otherwise agree with this list

Not much change from last week

To date

1. Hurley
Antics can be embarrassing but there's no doubt he can coach

2. Holloway
Making a name for himself again

3. Matta
Guess he hasn't lost it after all

4. English
Can anyone other than Sha/Miller beat him on his own court

5. Smart
6 in a row moves him up. But 2 games against UConn will tell the story

6. Miller
Handling the injuries well. 3 wins in a row albeit as favorites

7. Pitino
Next three games will give a better idea

8. McDermott
Preseason top ten to 16-7, 7-5 which should be 15-8, 6-6 if the whistle at the Rock was fair

9. Neptune
The natives are getting restless

10. Cooley
Once respected now vilified

11. Stubblefield/Brady
It almost doesn't matter who coaches this mess
Dan, while I completely agree with your list top to bottom, what in your opinion would need to happen for Shaheen to overtake Danny Hurley?

Great seeing 2 SHU grads on the top of the list. What happens if UCONN finishes 18-2 and we beat them both times. You have to give it to Sha.

Reactions: shu09
It’s an interesting year as 4 coaches could walk away with the award and there’d be no argument

1. Hurley- wearing the target all season and still #1
2. Sha- needs to finish top 3 in BE to win, but smoked the preseason expectations
3. Shaka- also in consideration for 6th man of the year as he spends 20+ minutes per game standing on the court, but quietly a top 10 team this year
4. English- kept the ship afloat in year 1. Likely in the NCAAT after losing best player half way through season

Matta- nice turnaround for Butler. He’s built a winner and has a chance to dance, but Has no chance to actually win this award

McDermott: did a nice job after losing 2 starters to the portal, but you can’t consider giving this to him given the pre season expectations and likely won’t finish top 2

Reactions: Pirate Russ
Dan, while I completely agree with your list top to bottom, what in your opinion would need to happen for Shaheen to overtake Danny Hurley?
If both keep winning I would then bump Sha but the exact results would make it close.

Most don't remember, but UConn was picked 3rd in the preseason barely ahead of #4 Villanova and If Hurley runs the table it's going to be difficult short of Sha doing something close not to choose him.

It’s an interesting year as 4 coaches could walk away with the award and there’d be no argument

1. Hurley- wearing the target all season and still #1
2. Sha- needs to finish top 3 in BE to win, but smoked the preseason expectations
3. Shaka- also in consideration for 6th man of the year as he spends 20+ minutes per game standing on the court, but quietly a top 10 team this year
4. English- kept the ship afloat in year 1. Likely in the NCAAT after losing best player half way through season

Matta- nice turnaround for Butler. He’s built a winner and has a chance to dance, but Has no chance to actually win this award

McDermott: did a nice job after losing 2 starters to the portal, but you can’t consider giving this to him given the pre season expectations and likely won’t finish top 2
With all due respect, Hopkins was not PC‘s best player. He was nominated as BEPOY but his stats don’t support that. Would PC be better with him? Of course, but Carter and Oduro are #1 & #2.

With all due respect, Hopkins was not PC‘s best player. He was nominated as BEPOY but his stats don’t support that. Would PC be better with him? Of course, but Carter and Oduro are #1 & #2.
Not saying I disagree, but I remember hearing Raf call Hopkins one of the most important players in the league.

If UConn wins out and is #1, it has to go to Hurley.

If SHU ends up in 2nd or 3rd all alone, and UConn has a loss or two and drops from #1, Sha should get it.

I could see a Co-Award also.

If UConn wins out and is #1, it has to go to Hurley.

If SHU ends up in 2nd or 3rd all alone, and UConn has a loss or two and drops from #1, Sha should get it.

I could see a Co-Award also.
Don't agree. More impressed by Sha's job. And the job English has done minus Hopkins is great too. And Danny's job is great too. I would say maybe a 3 way tie but English didn't go to SHU so make it a two way.

I don't know who was preseason #1 nationally, but I saw Uconn early and saw Kansas and Purdue and Houston and thought Uconn was clearly the best team. And I saw the OOC SHU team and was thanking God DePaul existed cause I wasn't sure we could beat anyone else. Then a week or two later, with a minute to go against Uconn, we are up 19!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: radecicco
Great seeing 2 SHU grads on the top of the list. What happens if UCONN finishes 18-2 and we beat them both times. You have to give it to Sha.

I would agree, so long as Seton Hall finishes 12-8 or better.

Depends which way you want to look at it..

Hopkins averaged 15.8pts, 8.5rbs, 2.3 assts per game last year. Carter was at 13pts, 4.9 rbs, 2.5 assist per game. Hopkins without a doubt put up better numbers

But Guard / big man play is the most important combo at the college level so agree they are 1/2. Wing play is a nice to have feature that gets you over the hump. I don’t think providence would have done as well if it was Carter who went down.

That being said- Hopkins is still the better player and had the higher upside imo.

English had someone other than carter take the game-winning shot. So he loses my vote.

And the game.

Depends which way you want to look at it..

Hopkins averaged 15.8pts, 8.5rbs, 2.3 assts per game last year. Carter was at 13pts, 4.9 rbs, 2.5 assist per game. Hopkins without a doubt put up better numbers

But Guard / big man play is the most important combo at the college level so agree they are 1/2. Wing play is a nice to have feature that gets you over the hump. I don’t think providence would have done as well if it was Carter who went down.

That being said- Hopkins is still the better player and had the higher upside imo.
IMO losing Dre would be the close equivalent to losing Hopkins. Forward that does so many things. A big loss.

Reactions: radecicco
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT