ADVERTISEMENT

Big East COY

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
To date

1. Hurley
Coming off a national championship he might be in line for another.

2. Holloway
A bad whistle or two from being 8-3 in conference.

3. Matta
Butler, 14-7 5-5. Kudos

4. English
You lose Hopkins for the season and you're still competitive.

5. Miller
Preseason injuries ruined the season but the team is still a tough out.

6. Pitino
I expected more but another team ravaged by injuries

7. McDermott
Tough call. But really, just meeting preseason expectations and no more.

8. Smart
Same as McDermott

9. Neptune
Hot seat?

10. Cooley
Just doesn't have the horses. Only conference win home to DePaul and just barely.

11. Stubblefield
Long gone and he earned it.

1 - Hurley
2 - Holloway
3 - Matta
4 - Smart
5 - Miller
6 - McDermott
7 - English
8 - Pitino
9 - Cooley
10 - Neptune
11 - Stubblefield

I think you have to go Shaheen given the pre season expectations. UConn came into the season with top 5 expectations.
What happens if they go 18-2 or 19-1 and finish four games ahead of everybody else?

It has to be Hurley. Outside of a UConn collapse…. Which is possible with 2 games vs Marquette, a matchup vs Creighton, and a matchup with Kadary’s 25+ point guarantee vs them.

Reactions: CL82 and Bluebeard
to me, Holloway exceeded expectations much more than Hurley did. I guess it’s all about how you define what goes into the award. Everyone expected UConn to be best team in conference at beginning of the season. All depends on what criteria you want to use to give the award.

Good list with but lots of BE games to go. This next stretch of games is where the coach of the year will earn their award - during the second half when teams have to turn it on to get into the tournament. If we can stay healthy Sha has as good a shot as anyone. UConn looks really good. If we can keep up the wins it will be a two horse race.

Reactions: Fishjam and mbraue
Good list with but lots of BE games to go. This next stretch of games is where the coach of the year will earn their award - during the second half when teams have to turn it on to get into the tournament. If we can stay healthy Sha has as good a shot as anyone. UConn looks really good. If we can keep up the wins it will be a two horse race.
This will now be a weekly thread.

Reactions: Section112
I would vote after the NCAA tourney and we see how everyone did. If UConn goes far in the tourney then Hurley for sure. If SHU gets in the tourney and wins a game or 2 then Sha. Then there could be another BE team that gets hot in the BE tourney and NCAAs and that coach could get my vote.

So way too early to say at this point. The body of work is incomplete!

I'd have English near the top. To be able to come right in & replace a legend like Cooley the way he has is super impressive. He was also able to convince multiple key players to stay & has kept the team competitive even after losing their best player.

For me its Holloway that is number 1. Hurley was picked to be number 1 preseason and he is doing exactly what he was expected to to. So for me he is meeting expectations given the team that he had and their expectations.

Shaheen was picked 9th and has exceeded that expectation. Not only has he exceeded the expectation but of the losses that Hurley has its to Shaheen., therefore AT THIS POINT IN TIME. Sha has to be on 1.

Only halfway thru the BE season, but if he finishes top 4, it should be Holloway.

Uconn came in ranked with repeat national title aspirations, and was expected to win the conference. Both Marquette and Creighton weren't too far behind. SHU, on the other hand, was expected to finish 9th and has greatly outperformed those expectations so far. The question is whether they can remain healthy the rest of the season. Healthy, they can beat anyone.

For me its Holloway that is number 1. Hurley was picked to be number 1 preseason and he is doing exactly what he was expected to to. So for me he is meeting expectations given the team that he had and their expectations.

Shaheen was picked 9th and has exceeded that expectation. Not only has he exceeded the expectation but of the losses that Hurley has its to Shaheen., therefore AT THIS POINT IN TIME. Sha has to be on 1.
On second thought I was wrong. It looks like UConn was predicted third so my logic is a little off but I am still going with Sha.

IN SHA WE TRUST ... GO HALL

Last edited:
That means he met expectations. That's a Top 5 team.
Can’t really exceed that… unless you consider he navigated a significant injury with the only blemish being in the game that said player was injured.

I think the meeting or exceeding expectations premise is not something to determine COY. Inherently, the top 1-2 teams in preseason coaches poll couldn’t have COY because their coach cannot exceed expectations?

Had we beaten PC without Kadary it would be closer, but right now Hurley has navigated a team blip excellently and is coaching the #1 team in the nation.

Reactions: NittanyPirate
to me, Holloway exceeded expectations much more than Hurley did. I guess it’s all about how you define what goes into the award. Everyone expected UConn to be best team in conference at beginning of the season. All depends on what criteria you want to use to give the award.
We were ranked third in the big east preseason poll.

I agree that you can make good cases for Holloway and English in addition to Hurley.

Reactions: chickenbox
I would vote after the NCAA tourney and we see how everyone did. If UConn goes far in the tourney then Hurley for sure. If SHU gets in the tourney and wins a game or 2 then Sha. Then there could be another BE team that gets hot in the BE tourney and NCAAs and that coach could get my vote.

So way too early to say at this point. The body of work is incomplete!
Award is before the BET. It's for the regular season.

To date

1. Hurley
Coming off a national championship he might be in line for another.

2. Holloway
A bad whistle or two from being 8-3 in conference.

3. Matta
Butler, 14-7 5-5. Kudos

4. English
You lose Hopkins for the season and you're still competitive.

5. Miller
Preseason injuries ruined the season but the team is still a tough out.

6. Pitino
I expected more but another team ravaged by injuries

7. McDermott
Tough call. But really, just meeting preseason expectations and no more.

8. Smart
Same as McDermott

9. Neptune
Hot seat?

10. Cooley
Just doesn't have the horses. Only conference win home to DePaul and just barely.

11. Stubblefield
Long gone and he earned it.
Holloway hands down imo. Matta miller and english up there too . I have become a Danny fan but the ability of the team puts him lower on my list. Which is unfair and common..

1. Hurley
2. Holloway
3. Matta
4. McDermott
5. Smart
6. English
7. Miller
8. Pitino
9. Neptune
10. Cooley
11. Stubblefield

Reactions: CL82
I think we forget how difficult the Big East has been historically.

There have been three one-loss teams in Big East regular season history. St. John's went 15-1 in 1984-85, UConn went 17-1 in 1995-96 and Syracuse went 17-1 in 2011-12.

12 teams have gotten through the schedule with two-losses. Georgetown went 14-2 in 1983-84 and 1984-85, SJU and Syracuse each went 14-2 in 1985-86, UConn went 16-2 in 1993-94, 1994-95 and 1998-99, UConn went 14-2 in 2005-06, Louisville went 16-2 in 2008-09 and Villanova went 16-2 the first three years post-realignment 2013-14 through 2015-16.

I think the coaches would go with Hurley if they go 18-2 or 19-1. Below that, it could depend on how the teams ultimately shake out.

I think we forget how difficult the Big East has been historically.

There have been three one-loss teams in Big East regular season history. St. John's went 15-1 in 1984-85, UConn went 17-1 in 1995-96 and Syracuse went 17-1 in 2011-12.

12 teams have gotten through the schedule with two-losses. Georgetown went 14-2 in 1983-84 and 1984-85, SJU and Syracuse each went 14-2 in 1985-86, UConn went 16-2 in 1993-94, 1994-95 and 1998-99, UConn went 14-2 in 2005-06, Louisville went 16-2 in 2008-09 and Villanova went 16-2 the first three years post-realignment 2013-14 through 2015-16.

I think the coaches would go with Hurley if they go 18-2 or 19-1. Below that, it could depend on how the teams ultimately shake out.
Unless his 18-2 are both losses to Holloway!

Reactions: Pirate Russ
1. Hurley - Winning, dominating and missed Clingen for a period of time
2. Holloway - Sha’s image
3. Matta - Still has coaching chops
4. McDermott - Typical
5. Smart - Injury bugs
6. English - Injury bug
7. Miller - Oliveiri is a weapon
8. Pitino - Better than Masiello
9. Cooley - Short on talent but still…
10. Neptune - Hot Seat
11. Stubblefield - Ejection Seat

Reactions: CL82
Award is before the BET. It's for the regular season.
I did not know that and it makes NO sense. What if the favorite Hurley gets it and UConn gets bumped right away either in the BE tourney or the NCAAs? Meanwhile another coach has his team excel either in the BE Toruney or NCAAs?

To me the BE COY is a worthless award and probably why I never ever paid attention to it. It should never ever go to a coach who does not make the NCAA tourney this year in my opinion.

I suppose there is a rational for doing it this way.

• Haha
Reactions: shupat08
Withe pre season rankings at 9th to be in 1st b4 our best player goes down and our NIL resources. Finish top 3 and ita gotta be Shaheen
And picked his team off the mat out of nowhere in December. I’d go Holloway, then Hurley, Matta, Miller.

Sha’s also the only one to beat Connecticut as of now.

Why should it not be different and be more meaningful? Regular season coach of the year will be locked up by a coach who is one of the top 2 or 3 teams. Boring and not the complete report card on what a coach did until the season is actually over in my opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: shupat08
Why should it not be different and be more meaningful? Regular season coach of the year will be locked up by a coach who is one of the top 2 or 3 teams. Boring and not the complete report card on what a coach did until the season is actually over in my opinion.
Because it’s not done that way anywhere else in sports?

If Stubblefield got dp to 6th place, he should have been COY hands down. Shu picked 9th, we stay where we are, sha wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT