ADVERTISEMENT

Bubble watch

according to Bac, who does a credible bracketology, we have 3 wins against the field as it’s currently imagined. Seems to be a common number among other of the last in bubble teams.
Oh yea. one is UConn by 15. With our full team not many teams are beating us at Prudential in the country. Rutgers was a long time ago.

Reactions: Burnsly
Dayton is 7-5 in Q1/2 and has seven top 100 NET wins (plus one over 101). Four of those wins are road/neutral. They have no losses outside Q2 (and just one outside Q1). Their Strength of Record is 15.

Seton Hall is 7-7 in Q1/2 with seven top 100 NET wins. Three of them are road. They have two Q3 losses. Their SOR is 42.

how many top 10 wins does each have, what about quad 1 which is what actually matters. right.
All of the things I posted above are among the most important things that the Selection Committee is believed to consider.

They like Strength of Schedule and Strength of Record. The like Q1 and Q2 wins (and records). They like non-home wins because nobody plays home games in the tournament. They dislike losses outside the top two quads -- especially if they are below 150.

They will certainly strongly consider our wins over UConn and Marquette (who is not top 10 NET). They will also take into account our poor non-conference performance.

Oh yea. one is UConn by 15. With our full team not many teams are beating us at Prudential in the country. Rutgers was a long time ago.
He was being completely objective. His work is better than Palm. He has us in the last 8 in and was just giving the facts.

But it still happened.

And let’s not also forget the if that was a long time ago, the UConn win happened a week later, also before Christmas.

Reactions: LeftCoastPirates
All of the things I posted above are among the most important things that the Selection Committee is believed to consider.

They like Strength of Schedule and Strength of Record. The like Q1 and Q2 wins (and records). They like non-home wins because nobody plays home games in the tournament. They dislike losses outside the top two quads -- especially if they are below 150.

They will certainly strongly consider our wins over UConn and Marquette (who is not top 10 NET). They will also take into account our poor non-conference performance.
the selection committee always looks at big wins. and shu is up there with the top teams. thats a fact. since when is SOS a top factor for the committee? never

Reactions: radecicco
the selection committee always looks at big wins. and shu is up there with the top teams. thats a fact. since when is SOS a top factor for the committee? never
If you really believe that they don't look at strength of schedule then I really can't help you understand this.

It's a major factor in why we're a bubble team with 11 Big East wins and not comfortably in the field. Most specifically our non-conference strength of schedule.

It's included on the team sheets so it must be there for a reason.

2/25 results (bubble) *nearing lock
(St John’s) 80 Creighton 66
(So Florida) 79 SMU 68
Memphis 78 *Florida Atlantic 74
Ohio St 60 *Michigan St 57
*Nebraska 73 Minnesota 55

2/26 bubble games
West Virginia @ (Kansas St)
Baylor @ *TCU

Another bracketologist that has some sense..

Tell that to Rutgers fans
We actually scheduled a good OOC schedule. USC, Iowa. Missouri and Rutgers all performed poorly. Poor luck for us.

Rutgers issue was it never scheduled difficult teams OOC except Seton Hall.

Yes, and we got better since then.
No one is denying the fact that we did.

But when the committee states all games are treated equally in the regular season, then that is the standard you play by.

I understand the transfer portal has changed the way teams are formed and take time to gel, but if that is the case for everyone, why should the team that beat us not get credit for the win.

Should our UCONN win count for less since it was only their first conference game and they have gotten better since.

We are on the bubble. It is what it is. If people want to slant their perspective of the criteria to benefit SHU then go for it. The committee just doesn’t work that way.

So if they go 12-8 in BE play don’t be shocked if we are in a precarious situation come selection Sunday.

I think good play in a top level conference always takes precedent over OOC. OOC success enhances things but strong conference play cancels much of a bad OOC.

And no committee member will ever say that.

The NCAA is different than other post seasons. Half of the teams are subjective and the committee wants to put in the best teams, not the best teams in December.

Last edited:
No one is denying the fact that we did.

But when the committee states all games are treated equally in the regular season, then that is the standard you play by.

I understand the transfer portal has changed the way teams are formed and take time to gel, but if that is the case for everyone, why should the team that beat us not get credit for the win.

Should our UCONN win count for less since it was only their first conference game and they have gotten better since.

We are on the bubble. It is what it is. If people want to slant their perspective of the criteria to benefit SHU then go for it. The committee just doesn’t work that way.

So if they go 12-8 in BE play don’t be shocked if we are in a precarious situation come selection Sunday.
We had a lousy OOC performance that was magnified by the poor performance of our OOC opponents and out failure to blow out our lesser OOC opponents.

I understand the NET system. I disagree with it. You want to defend it, so that is your right. I don't need you to explain the need to apply the metrics to all across the board. I have a huge issue with not weighting the last 10 games of the season more as the Committee used to do.

All that being said, if we beat DePaul and one more game including BET opener, we should be in.

So, let's just end the suspense and beat Creighton Wed. I think they are ripe given the short turnaround and the fact that they run out the same 6 - 7 players like we do.

I know bracket matrix takes time to update. As of this morning we are in 79 out off 100 brackets. Only one bubble school is higher with 82 out of 100. That is providence.

I really hope the criteria changes again for the tournament. I realize this year is what it is, but I absolutely think teams that play better toward the end of the season should be weighed higher.

Not just SHU, but all teams like Gonzaga and Wake too.

It just makes more sense especially with the way the transfer portal is, injuries pre - Christmas and just how well kids come together.

And for the record, Willard-led SHU teams often faded down the stretch with the exception of 2016. Toward the end of his tenure, his teams had great OOC results before conference play began

We actually scheduled a good OOC schedule. USC, Iowa. Missouri and Rutgers all performed poorly. Poor luck for us.

Rutgers issue was it never scheduled difficult teams OOC except Seton Hall.
The intent is meaningless. The SOS number is all that counts regarding the quality of the schedule.

The intent is meaningless. The SOS number is all that counts regarding the quality of the schedule.
Not really correct. When Rutgers did not make tourney, many pundits said it was a message to up OOC scheduling. The Committee said to do so. If you look at our OOC schedule, despite how it played out, it does not appear as if we were ducking teams in OOC.

If you are talking about the NET, then you are correct, but that was not what I was referring to in my post. I was referring to the subjective factors.

Similarly, the NET does not recognize Khadary missing 2 of our losses, but the Committee will likely figure that into its analysis. Just like it may soften our Ws without Clingan or PC star.

Seton Hall non-conferene SOS is better than average for bubble teams-

23- Boise State
64- Texas A&M
83- Michigan State
203- New Mexico
236- Colorado
248- Seton Hall
253- Wake Forest
250- Nevada
252- Ole Miss
265- Providence
278- Richmond
284- Texas
297- Indiana State
303- Cincinnati
305- South Florida
344- Nebraska
351- Northwestern

I think good play in a top level conference always takes precedent over OOC. OOC success enhances things but strong conference play cancels much of a bad OOC.

And no committee member will ever say that.

The NCAA is different than other post seasons. Half of the teams are subjective and the committee wants to put in the best teams, not the best teams in December.
Problem is, you need to put mid majors on equal footing and reward them for playing g a good OOC schedule (and winning).

Reactions: LeftCoastPirates
Problem is, you need to put mid majors on equal footing and reward them for playing g a good OOC schedule (and winning).
We played poorly on our OOC schedule against P6 schools with exception of Missouri. We should take a metrics hit for that.

However, we played other mid and low majors. We took care of the games but we did not blow most of them out, nor were we generally efficient. You cannot convince me that our performance against these mid-majors in Nov and Dec are in any way predictive of how we will perform in March against an NCAA tourney field. Yet, that is what it is used for - predictive metrics for seeding.

Read how the Big 12 gamed the NET this year. 5 or 6 Big 12 teams generally played low to mid majors in OOC pretty much exclusively and destroyed those schools in the 30s. They are riding high in the NET and also helping the conference performance. It is broken.

Any metric that tries to equalize all competition to a single number has flaws and needs to be modified. Horse racing has Beyers figures that attempt to factor into the many variances affecting past performance to help handicapping a race from track, speed, times, pace, distance, etc... However, they have to regularly be modified. They also have to be taken into consideration with other variables - like winning and improving. No team is the same at the beginning of the year and the end. To suggest the Jan, Feb March performance should not be looked at a bit diffently is nonsensical.

Reactions: JoePeppitone2012
We played poorly on our OOC schedule against P6 schools with exception of Missouri. We should take a metrics hit for that.

However, we played other mid and low majors. We took care of the games but we did not blow most of them out, nor were we generally efficient. You cannot convince me that our performance against these mid-majors in Nov and Dec are in any way predictive of how we will perform in March against an NCAA tourney field. Yet, that is what it is used for - predictive metrics for seeding.

Read how the Big 12 gamed the NET this year. 5 or 6 Big 12 teams generally played low to mid majors in OOC pretty much exclusively and destroyed those schools in the 30s. They are riding high in the NET and also helping the conference performance. It is broken.

Any metric that tries to equalize all competition to a single number has flaws and needs to be modified. Horse racing has Beyers figures that attempt to factor into the many variances affecting past performance to help handicapping a race from track, speed, times, pace, distance, etc... However, they have to regularly be modified. They also have to be taken into consideration with other variables - like winning and improving. No team is the same at the beginning of the year and the end. To suggest the Jan, Feb March performance should not be looked at a bit diffently is nonsensical.
The Big 12 took full advantage of this loophole this year. Brilliant on them

Reactions: LBP43
Seton Hall non-conferene SOS is better than average for bubble teams-

23- Boise State
64- Texas A&M
83- Michigan State
203- New Mexico
236- Colorado
248- Seton Hall
253- Wake Forest
250- Nevada
252- Ole Miss
265- Providence
278- Richmond
284- Texas
297- Indiana State
303- Cincinnati
305- South Florida
344- Nebraska
351- Northwestern
While you're at it, please find the list of those teams victories in the OOC. Specifically P6, Q1 and top 100 wins.

SOS is one thing. The lack of quality OOC wins is a factor as well. At least it is for Seton Hall.

Why does the Selection Committee value NC SOS and wins? Because those are the games a team has some control over unlike its conference schedule.

If you are (based on these numbers) a Nebraska or Northwestern that didn't challenge itself in the non-conference, you had better pick up some big time Big 10 wins to make up for it.

Bracket matrix now has the hall at 96 brackets out of 107 that is in the dance without a bye as a weighted average. Providence is at 101 out of 107.

Next year maybe the one year where they may help our Ncsos. With a young team maybe ripe for an upset. I guess once every thirty years where RU may help our net sounds about right.

2/26 results (bubble) *nearing lock
Baylor 62 *TCU 54
(Kansas State) 94 WVU 90
Bonus: MVSU won its 1st game of the season to improve to 1-27 on the year

2/27 bubble games
PSU @ (Iowa)
Georgetown @ (Villanova)
(Cincinnati) @ Houston
Kentucky @ *Miss St
(Pitt) @ Clemson
(Wake) @ Notre Dame
*Texas @ Texas Tech
*Boise St @ Air Force
(Nevada) @ * Colorado St

Andy Katz is being added to my list of idiots…

He put us in his Power 36 rankings and then has us as an 11 seed play in game… make it make sense

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
2/26 results (bubble) *nearing lock
Baylor 62 *TCU 54
(Kansas State) 94 WVU 90
Bonus: MVSU won its 1st game of the season to improve to 1-27 on the year

2/27 bubble games
PSU @ (Iowa)
Georgetown @ (Villanova)
(Cincinnati) @ Houston
Kentucky @ *Miss St
(Pitt) @ Clemson
(Wake) @ Notre Dame
*Texas @ Texas Tech
*Boise St @ Air Force
(Nevada) @ * Colorado St

Pitt loses
Cincinnati going down
Mississippi State going down

Reed Sheppard was incredible for UK tonight against Mississippi State. One of the better individual performances I've ever seen in a single game, especially for a freshman.

Reed Sheppard was incredible for UK tonight against Mississippi State. One of the better individual performances I've ever seen in a single game, especially for a freshman.
Josh Hubbard had himself a day as well. A one time pirate recruit

Reactions: Robot_Man
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT