ADVERTISEMENT

Delgado gone?

Is there anything to this girlfriend talk other than her posting a picture on Instagram today? If not, pretty low to pin this all on a young girl none of us even know.

Only thing that makes sense is he realizes he will never be an NBA player and this us as good as it's gonna get for him so might as well take what he can

Reactions: mzadnik
Wonder if Duval had received any advance info that Angel leaving was likely. Prob wouldn't have influenced his decision to head to Duke, but perhaps it did cause him to cross off shu.

Is there anything to this girlfriend talk other than her posting a picture on Instagram today? If not, pretty low to pin this all on a young girl none of us even know.
The initial tweet that started this ball rolling this morning indicated something to that effect. The guy turned out to be correct so maybe there is some credence to it. I wouldn't blame the girl anyway, it's the agent that I'd find fault with.

You have to wonder would him returning for his senior year really elevate his game that much? He may feel he has reached his maximum college potential and why risk more wear and tear on his body for zero money.. Only problem is he is not a high flying type of athlete that the NBA now requires for a big many.. He is a grind it out big man more of the 1990s and early 2000 NBA.. Still a fine athlete but his game doesn't fit in the NBA

We did grab a transfer from junior college in Gill but the general consensus is that he should be red- shirted as he's not ready for BE play .

For the second year in a row we lose arguably our best player and have no one ready to fill that void. Angel leaving should have not come as a surprise as that possibility was always out there and grabbing an eligible transfer who could give you quality minutes and soften the loss of what Angel could give you should have been a focus of our recruiting.

Here's what we have to fill the PF and Center position. Ish and Nzei both of which are more suited to the PF position then at center. Then you have the two incoming freshman in Sandro who will see more minutes then predicted and Brodie who is a work in progress and not ready for BE play. Finally you have Gill a JUCO who was predicted to have a redshirt year as he's also not ready for BE play. Angel leaving turns what was a high quality front court with good depth to one that's average at best .

I see a lot of three guard sets with Desi at WF. That might work out okay in the out of conference games, but I don't think it will work in the Big East.

Maybe we don't have a prototypical 5 anymore, but we still have more talent than most teams. Carrington, Powell, Cale, Desi, Walker, Sandro, Ish, Nzei, Gordon.

Willard will have to get creative but this is still a talented group.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Can't fault the kid for wanting to make a living. Just very disappointing there is no Duval, no Angel, will be impossible to replace him, and what could have been a chance for this team to play in the 2nd weekend of the tourney next March. This is such a kick in the n*ts to all Hall fans. What could have been.

Maybe we don't have a prototypical 5 anymore, but we still have more talent than most teams. Carrington, Powell, Cale, Desi, Walker, Sandro, Ish, Nzei, Gordon.

Willard will have to get creative but this is still a talented group.

You are right it's a talented group but going to be very hard to win consistently in the league with let's be honest is 'a very below average' front line now.

Mistake for Angel. Degree + another year of notariety helps NBA chances, doesn't hurt Euro chances but improves his ability to make a long term difference for family and DR.

Instead of Arte or Walker he's likely to be another Luther Wright - a memory in 3-4 yrs.

I hope I am wrong and that beautiful smile doesn't disappear.

tumblr_inline_ntxagagEj11sjbhmc_540.jpg

Loved watching Angel for the past 3 years. Good luck to him and wish him nothing but the best. He will be sorely missed next year.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
It is difficult to comprehend his decision considering he is not going to be drafted into the NBA most likely and will have to go over seas? But can any of you take a moment are realize he is a college kid, who may be making a decision that will support his family back home who may be having major financial difficulties? Maybe Angel is just making the best decision to benefit his family economically right now, and to me that shows what a mature young individual he is.

No.

Reactions: shu09 and mjs429
This is a sad and dumb move. Since he actually hasn't signed, and there's two weeks to withdraw, hopefully somebody talks some sense into this young man.

As far as SHU MBB in 17-18 without him, it's in the tank.
I can certainly see why he's doing it. Assuming he goes undrafted (likely) he can head over to Europe or DR and make some nice dough.

Not much left for him to prove at the college level.

Next year's team without him is going to be brutal to watch. Reminiscent of Willard's first 5 years.

How come Willard cannot provide any influence to stay? Its like he sits on the sidelines until our kids make a dumb decision.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
knies this is willards fault??? Must have gotten that info from one of "sources"

Weve been told that the staff had delgado back. How does he now leave? Willard isnt trusted enough by his players to provide solid counsel?

And yes its willards fault our season is ****ed when one player leaves cause we couldnt recruit a 5 for three years

Weve been told that the staff had delgado back. How does he now leave? Willard isnt trusted enough by his players to provide solid counsel?

And yes its willards fault our season is ****ed when one player leaves cause we couldnt recruit a 5 for three years

This is just st a silly statement. Now Willard is supposed to have mind control over his players????

Reactions: HallLine69
How come Willard cannot provide any influence to stay? Its like he sits on the sidelines until our kids make a dumb decision.
Please get serious. Don't you think that Willard had a long sit down (he did BTW) with Delgado pointing out the ramifications of this move?

The player has been dazzled by agents in his ear telling him exactly what you would expect them to tell him.

At this point unless Delgado does a 180 and completely changes his mind at the last second he's gone.

We can all note what we think about the decision and I side with most everyone here that it's a very bad one. But once made there's nothing you can do but wish him the best and thank Angel for his 3 years here.

Coaching staff and coach are in no way responsible for Delgado's decision. I'm sure they did everything they could to not let arguably our best player on the roster walk.

Please get serious. Don't you think that Willard had a long sit down (he did BTW) with Delgado pointing out the ramifications of this move?

The player has been dazzled by agents in his ear telling him exactly what you would expect them to tell him.

At this point unless Delgado does a 180 and completely changes his mind at the last second he's gone.

We can all note what we think about the decision and I side with most everyone here that it's a very bad one. But once made there's nothing you can do but wish him the best and thank Angel for his 3 years here.

Dan, if he was considered a mentor by the players maybe they would take his advice. Hes 0 for 2 in recruiting our best kids to return.

As much as it sucks that Angel is leaving, I think this is his best career move. There are bunch of holes in his game that he can either work on at Seton Hall, or with a professional team and get paid $xxx,xxx. Angel is already 23 years old, he is never going to play in the NBA...there is not a comparable player you can point to that leads me to believe Angel has a spot in the NBA. He is an elite positional rebounder....a below average defender, shooter, FT shooter, and most importantly athlete.

Best of luck to Angel - I am sure he will be a great success at the next level wherever he lands.

Dan, if he was considered a mentor by the players maybe they would take his advice. Hes 0 for 2 in recruiting our best kids to return.

Just stop. Whitehead played significant minutes in the NBA last year....

What does he have to sell? You can pound home the points (get a degree, win a championship, etc), but it will never compare to the glitz and glamour the agents are selling him.

In this case, I see it as lack of loyalty. I can see if he wanted to go to the NBA, but this is totally different. Imo he's absolutely letting his teammates and brothers down. He will never have a better season than the senior year he would have had.

There's a reason he was compared to tim Duncan and Blake Griffin, but couldn't sniff even an INVITE. He's just a poor pro prospect plain and simple.

I can certainly see why he's doing it. Assuming he goes undrafted (likely) he can head over to Europe or DR and make some nice dough.

Not much left for him to prove at the college level.

Next year's team without him is going to be brutal to watch. Reminiscent of Willard's first 5 years.

It seems like he was willing to forego that European/Caribbean sure thing, and come back to school to work on his game. I don't know much about those leagues, but it seems rare that people come back from them to play in the NBA -- not exactly developmental leagues.

If an NBA scout thought that with some work (and our staff has helped him improve year over year) he'd be a first rounder, I would have felt better about his chances after graduating.

I think that this team has MUCH better talent than Willard's first five years, but we have youth at a key position, and now a gaping hole in the front court.

What they are selling him are broken promises and empty dreams, which will amount to lifetime of regret. College is a fleeting chance at greatness. Once it's gone...you can never have that back. And for what? A delusion of grandeur.

A "lifetime of regret"? What a pathetic thing to suggest.

Let it go guys. If the kid truly believes in his heart he's doing the right thing for himself, his family, etc then I think he has to go. I would be shocked if everyone here took the advice of their teachers, coaches, and mentors 100% of the time. Some times it worked out for the better, most of the time it probably didn't. We've all done it. Respect the kids decision either way. He's the kind of person we want at Seton Hall. I'd take 100 more just like him.

It seems like he was willing to forego that European/Caribbean sure thing, and come back to school to work on his game. I don't know much about those leagues, but it seems rare that people come back from them to play in the NBA -- not exactly developmental leagues.

If an NBA scout thought that with some work (and our staff has helped him improve year over year) he'd be a first rounder, I would have felt better about his chances after graduating.

I think that this team has MUCH better talent than Willard's first five years, but we have youth at a key position, and now a gaping hole in the front court.
Key word here is that people come BACK from the foreign leagues to play in the NBA. Most players who do this had an original stint in the NBA.

What this is, is turning your back on seton hall. Theres no debate on whether its a good move, seems unanimous among fans, writers, NBA SCOUTS, that this is a bad move on the binary scale.

Reactions: shu09 and Pirate 81
A "lifetime of regret"? What a pathetic thing to suggest.

If he ends up playing in Croatia in 10 years wondering what could have been....no it's not pathetic. It will be on his mind and it is sad to think about. I truly hope he is successful and we are all wrong. But unless he has guarantees like Whitehead did that no one knows about...this is a painfully bad decision. Plus I was trying to be dramatic...

Key word here is that people come BACK from the foreign leagues to play in the NBA. Most players who do this had an original stint in the NBA.

What this is, is turning your back on seton hall. Theres no debate on whether its a good move, seems unanimous among fans, writers, NBA SCOUTS, that this is a bad move on the binary scale.
Agree except for the part of it's about turning your back on seton hall... Angel loves seton hall and his teammates.

I would be bummed if Angel left Seton Hall to go play professionally in DR (similar to Auda's decision) but I could respect the decision because it would come down to him making a decision based on accurate information.

What's troubling here is that he's making a decision on information from a sports agent that's just filling his head with ideas of things that just aren't realistic. But nonetheless, Angel is just trying to make a decision. It's frustrating because we know how great of a person Angel is and we feel like he's being taken advantage of. That and the fact it hurts the team we love to root for.

I know how difficult this is for Seton Hall fans. I remember how disappointed I was when Quincy Douby left RU after 3 years and he was a first round draft pick. At least you guys have many other really good players who will be leaned on to make up for Angel's loss. The thing I think will be hard is replacing 13 rebounds per game. I also think some guys might not get as open a look on outside shots as Angel often was double teamed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT