ADVERTISEMENT

Delgado gone?

I know how difficult this is for Seton Hall fans. I remember how disappointed I was when Quincy Douby left RU after 3 years and he was a first round draft pick. At least you guys have many other really good players who will be leaned on to make up for Angel's loss. The thing I think will be hard is replacing 13 rebounds per game. I also think some guys might not get as open a look on outside shots as Angel often was double teamed.

I also think we could have won a Big East championship and made a sweet 16, and now our ceiling is a bubble team. So there's that.

Sounds like he might wind up like Bentil. He was taken in the 2nd round and has bounced around between the NBA, D league and China. You would think however that Angel should be able to garner a steady contract in a Europe or Brazil league.

If he leaves because agents are gassing him up about NBA potential, well that really stinks. However, from a business perspective this may be the right move for Delgado. Angel is already almost 23 years old, undersized and unathletic by NBA standards. That is not going to change with an extra year in college. Essentially, angel is missing out on another year with his friends, some trophies, and big man on campus status. Either way he is probably going to have to go overseas and establish a solid career. Why not start now.

Reactions: shu99
In this case, I see it as lack of loyalty. I can see if he wanted to go to the NBA, but this is totally different. Imo he's absolutely letting his teammates and brothers down. He will never have a better season than the senior year he would have had.

There's a reason he was compared to tim Duncan and Blake Griffin, but couldn't sniff even an INVITE. He's just a poor pro prospect plain and simple.

In this corrupt sphere known as division one college athletics I think it's a bit dramatic to call someone disloyal. He took away your feel good, get over it.

It seems like he was willing to forego that European/Caribbean sure thing, and come back to school to work on his game. I don't know much about those leagues, but it seems rare that people come back from them to play in the NBA -- not exactly developmental leagues.

If an NBA scout thought that with some work (and our staff has helped him improve year over year) he'd be a first rounder, I would have felt better about his chances after graduating.

I think that this team has MUCH better talent than Willard's first five years, but we have youth at a key position, and now a gaping hole in the front court.
I don't think another year dominating in college is going to make him into a NBA player. His game is not what the NBA is looking for. I'm sure he realizes that and a lot of people around him have told him that. Maybe he gets lucky and sneaks onto a team, but overseas seems likely. Nothing wrong with that and if I was in his position I'd probably do the same thing.

The team of Gibbs, Edwin, Teague, Auda, Sina, Oliver, Mobley and The Microwave finished 17-17 overall, 6-12 in conference.

Is the talent next year that much better than those guys?

If he leaves because agents are gassing him up about NBA potential, well that really stinks. However, from a business perspective this may be the right move for Delgado. Angel is already almost 23 years old, undersized and unathletic by NBA standards. That is not going to change with an extra year in college. Essentially, angel is missing out on another year with his friends, some trophies, and big man on campus status. Either way he is probably going to have to go overseas and establish a solid career. Why not start now.

How about for all the reasons you just said? If he's going to have a career overseas, one more year isn't going to make a difference. But you only have one shot left FOREVER to make a deep run in the tourney, avenge the BET loss to Nova, break NCAA, BE, and SHU records, maybe get your number retired, and be a hero to people. Not mention the DEGREE. At some point he's going to look back and wonder what his Senior year could have been like. He's not going to look back and thank the lord that his 1st Euro League season started in 2017 instead of 2018.

What's troubling here is that he's making a decision on information from a sports agent that's just filling his head with ideas of things that just aren't realistic. But nonetheless, Angel is just trying to make a decision. It's frustrating because we know how great of a person Angel is and we feel like he's being taken advantage of. That and the fact it hurts the team we love to root for.

What I find troubling is the NBA, which does so much for it's players as far as helping players make the best possible decisions for themselves, doesn't have anything where players who at one point were sold a bill of goods by agents give a seminar on the game agents play.

Sounds like he might wind up like Bentil. He was taken in the 2nd round and has bounced around between the NBA, D league and China. You would think however that Angel should be able to garner a steady contract in a Europe or Brazil league.
In all fairness, Bentil has more NBA potential than Angel (imo). Guy can step out and shoot from deep and is much more athletic. Not saying Bentil will ever make it in the NBA but I like his chances due to skillset better than Delgado.

And according to one of the news stories Whitehead is counseling him.
Thanks Wh
for those holding out hope.

A source close to the situation who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on the subject told NJ Advance Media on Wednesday that it looks like Delgado is leaving Seton Hall for the NBA Draft, "but it's not certain.'
http://www.nj.com/setonhall/index.s...s_angel_delgado_going_pro_source_looks_l.html
If Willard and company have any credibility with Angel, they should sit him down and convince him that it is in HIS best interestto stay another year, get better and improve his stock to possible first round money. If that doesn't work out, he has a degree, can play overseas or get the same second round money or whatever agents are pitching him now. Can't we bring in our own agent/sports lawyer/Petino - to counsel Angel to take the right course? Hoping he pulls out of draft before deadline and comes back.

How about for all the reasons you just said? If he's going to have a career overseas, one more year isn't going to make a difference. But you only have one shot left FOREVER to make a deep run in the tourney, avenge the BET loss to Nova, break NCAA, BE, and SHU records, maybe get your number retired, and be a hero to people. Not mention the DEGREE. At some point he's going to look back and wonder what his Senior year could have been like. He's not going to look back and thank the lord that his 1st Euro League season started in 2017 instead of 2018.

It's a tough call. Lets say it's something like $150,000 vs. all the things you mentioned. At 40 years old, yeah I think all that may be worth it. At 23? Not sure.

It's a tough call. Lets say it's something like $150,000 vs. all the things you mentioned. At 40 years old, yeah I think all that may be worth it. At 23? Not sure.

Well god willing, he's going to live well past 40 and I can guarantee he's going to wonder about this the rest of his life. I wish him the best either way and really like the kid and hope whatever he does he is at peace with in the long term.

Reactions: deheremike
If you read my posts, you know that I've been hinting at this possibility since last year. I was even skeptical when reports surfaced in April about him "most likely" staying, verified by great posters on this forum. Who knows where this ultimately lands, but if he leaves I will not be surprised for the reasons I've stated repeatedly on this board. I don't think it is likely he improves his draft stock at all by staying, given his age and position. And I will wish the kid well in his future endeavors, because he has been one of my favorite kids to watch. I think leaving is the right call for him. We will still be solid next year too.

Well god willing, he's going to live well past 40 and I can guarantee he's going to wonder about this the rest of his life. I wish him the best either way and really like the kid and hope whatever he does he is at peace with in the long term.

If you read my posts, you know that I've been hinting at this possibility since last year. I was even skeptical when reports surfaced in April about him "most likely" staying, verified by great posters on this forum. Who knows where this ultimately lands, but if he leaves I will not be surprised for the reasons I've stated repeatedly on this board. I don't think it is likely he improves his draft stock at all by staying, given his age and position. And I will wish the kid well in his future endeavors, because he has been one of my favorite kids to watch. I think leaving is the right call for him. We will still be solid next year too.

I get what you're saying and maybe it's selfishness but I truly believe he would've improved his draft stock by remaining in college for a 4th year. If he could dominate the Big East, get the media talking about him every week, make some noise in the tourney, and put up POY numbers, I could see an NBA team wanting to take a chance on him. But again, maybe I'm looking with blue colored glasses.

Reactions: Abbo71

This is the only part I disagree with: I don't think it is likely he improves his draft stock at all by staying, given his age and position.

I believe he could have. He would've been given a checklist of things to work on.

Reactions: SHUMA04
In this corrupt sphere known as division one college athletics I think it's a bit dramatic to call someone disloyal. He took away your feel good, get over it.
LOL please. this isnt pro sports. If this were the NBA (or the NFL) theres absolutely no reason for loyalty. In this case, he has no better prospect. Foreign money is always there. Hes missing out on valuable development (which is clearly true given nba scout's words), and hes absolutely looking at being a "good" player on a half rate team. If he had a good reason to leave i wouldnt have a problem. He doesnt have a good reason to leave and essentially turning his back on the 4 other guys who were looking forward to possibly a historic season. I feel so much worse for them then me man. Im used to extreme disappointment from SHU its nothing new lol.

This is the only part I disagree with: I don't think it is likely he improves his draft stock at all by staying, given his age and position.

I believe he could have. He would've been given a checklist of things to work on.
Apparently scouts have already said this.

Why not start now? Theres a billion reasons all which have been mentioned including some by you.

People in his camp were talking about him turning pro after last year. The reality is that almost all of these kids think they are ready to starting making money after a year or two in college. And there is no shortage of people in their ears telling them to do that. Whether it makes sense or not, in my view, depends on the particular situation.

I think the "checklist" he'd be given would be things that are aspirational but not used much in games. Coach cares about W's, as he should, and hat means having Angel live within 5-10 feet of the hoop and cause havoc on the glass. I don't see how he improves much defensively, or on the glass, by playing against teenagers and smaller kids.

One of the reasons I am so frustrated hearing that Angel has one foot out the door is because this is such a simple situation. Willard and the staff (and his teammates) should have been able to convince Angel already that he has everything to gain by staying for his senior season.

Pull up stats and current from players like Josh Hart (who was a fringe pick his JR year), Ben Bentil who is in and out of the NBA. There are just countless examples proving why it's always better to stay another year if you are not a projected 1st or 2nd round pick.

If he just wants to support his family and is tired of busting his ass for free that is totally understandable, but come back for your 4th year and bet on yourself. The difference in money he could make either becoming an NBA drafted player on a guarunteed contract or overseas is huge.

Reactions: Flnj86
One of the reasons I am so frustrated hearing that Angel has one foot out the door is because this is such a simple situation. Willard and the staff (and his teammates) should have been able to convince Angel already that he has everything to gain by staying for his senior season.

Pull up stats and current from players like Josh Hart (who was a fringe pick his JR year), Ben Bentil who is in and out of the NBA. There are just countless examples proving why it's always better to stay another year if you are not a projected 1st or 2nd round pick.

If he just wants to support his family and is tired of busting his ass for free that is totally understandable, but come back for your 4th year and bet on yourself. The difference in money he could make either becoming an NBA drafted player on a guarunteed contract or overseas is huge.

Do you really think Willard did not do this? Of course he is doing everything in his power to get him to stay. At end of the day it is an individual decision and one that he is making as a grown man. I'm sure he has seen the stats but he is betting that he can make it. While most of us will disagree(myself included) it is his decision to make and I have no doubt he will work his ass off to try and beat the odds. This is no way is on Willard or staff IMO.

All a coach can do in situations like this is urge the player to make sure he's thought thru his decision carefully and offer his help .

Do you really think Willard did not do this? Of course he is doing everything in his power to get him to stay. At end of the day it is an individual decision and one that he is making as a grown man. I'm sure he has seen the stats but he is betting that he can make it. While most of us will disagree(myself included) it is his decision to make and I have no doubt he will work his ass off to try and beat the odds. This is no way is on Willard or staff IMO.
I mean it is. How many other players are doing this? Delgado shouldn't even have this in his mind. Other coaches don't deal with this, or probably gave and squashed it. Very very limited examples.

Bottom line, like business, doesn't matter how hard you try just get results. It's not all the staffs fault but come on. Convince him coach. Do or do not there is no try.

If Willard and company have any credibility with Angel, they should sit him down and convince him that it is in HIS best interestto stay another year, get better and improve his stock to possible first round money. If that doesn't work out, he has a degree, can play overseas or get the same second round money or whatever agents are pitching him now. Can't we bring in our own agent/sports lawyer/Petino - to counsel Angel to take the right course? Hoping he pulls out of draft before deadline and comes back.

This has nothing to do with a coach having credibility. People make choices. Nobody is responsible for the choice others make. I find it hard to believe Willard and company haven't sat Angel down and talked to him. Ultimately it's Angel's decision.

Carrington said he was looking into the draft as well after the Arkansas game. Because Carrington hasn't announced he's leaving, does that mean Willard sat down with him and not Angel? I'm sure Willard fulfilled his responsibility to both players. Unfortunately for Seton Hall basketball fans it sounds like we will not see Delgado in pirate blue next year.

Last edited:
A few things. One, Josh Hart had worked himself into possibly the late first round last year, before he declared he was returning to school. So I don't think all the attention he got this year has really helped that much (last Ford mock I saw didn't have him in the 1st round). Second, you don't know the kids individual situation. Third, while I agree certain guys improve their draft stock by staying in school, not everyone does. It is very individualized and I think guards/wings can improve more playing in the Big East more than a big with Angel's skill-set. Sometimes kids think it is better for their development to take a shot at the NBA and, if it doesn't pan out immediately, play in the D-league or overseas with professional coaching/training against better players (and grown a** men), and try to make the league a year or two later.

Any credibility with this source?

3b66579fc82d41c79997088036f9f115_seems-legit-not-bad-obama-meme-seems-legit_400-400.jpeg

Lol.... no.

And I'm fairly sure the rest of that statement is cut off. "Report: Seton Hall expecting big man Angel Delgado to stay in NBA Draft." Which was more or less the headline going around the internet all day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT