ADVERTISEMENT

Delgado gone?

I get what you're saying and maybe it's selfishness but I truly believe he would've improved his draft stock by remaining in college for a 4th year. If he could dominate the Big East, get the media talking about him every week, make some noise in the tourney, and put up POY numbers, I could see an NBA team wanting to take a chance on him. But again, maybe I'm looking with blue colored glasses.
Ditto

Reactions: buckfoston824
I mean it is. How many other players are doing this? Delgado shouldn't even have this in his mind. Other coaches don't deal with this, or probably gave and squashed it. Very very limited examples.

Bottom line, like business, doesn't matter how hard you try just get results. It's not all the staffs fault but come on. Convince him coach. Do or do not there is no try.
There are hundreds of transfers every year and guys popping into and out of the draft constantly until the end of May. A lot of coaches dealing with similar issues involving the decisions of young adults. Apparently still some hope AD stays so let's see how it plays out.

There are hundreds of transfers every year and guys popping into and out of the draft constantly until the end of May. A lot of coaches dealing with similar issues involving the decisions of young adults. Apparently still some hope AD stays so let's see how it plays out.
No. How many coaches are dealing with a possible POY leaving to NOT go to the NBA? Totally different from transfers and NBA draft PROSPECTS

No. How many coaches are dealing with a possible POY leaving to NOT go to the NBA? Totally different from transfers and NBA draft PROSPECTS

First off Delgado is a prospect. If he wasn't NBA teams wouldn't have him work out. Ben Bentil was a similar situation. Potential player of the year who played only 3 NBA games. What the difference between 3 NBA games and 0, $20,000? Essentially same situation. This is Angels decisions. That was Bentils decision. Willard and Cooley can only talk so much, in the end it's not their decision.

Reactions: Piratz
I'm not sure what people expect Willard to do? We all know the points for staying. He can stress them until he's blue in the face. It's not a level playing field. There's nothing shiny, glitzy and new he can offer.

Under Armour needs to come out with the Delgado shoe stat... LOL, if only it were that easy and if it were legal...

First off Delgado is a prospect. If he wasn't NBA teams wouldn't have him work out. Ben Bentil was a similar situation. Potential player of the year who played only 3 NBA games. What the difference between 3 NBA games and 0, $20,000? Essentially same situation. This is Angels decisions. That was Bentils decision. Willard and Cooley can only talk so much, in the end it's not their decision.
I don't agree with this. Bentil was a legit draft prospect. Bentil was 100% going to get drafted by someone. Delgado is not a legit NBA draft prospect. Tony-El worked out with the Nets, Hazel worked out hawks, players from low majors like Monmouth and Iona work out with NBA teams. Organizations work out players that aren't draft worthy all the time to see if they will pick them up in free agency after the draft. Delgado has an outside shot signing with a team as an undrafted free agent. That's it.

I think Delgado is a smart kid and he knows this. He is making a conscious decision to go play professionally over seas. Remember if you make $200k/year and live in DR (which I assume he is going to) that is the equivalent of making millions in USA. mansion, servants, cooks, etc. he will live like a king (not figuratively...actually)

I don't agree with this. Bentil was a legit draft prospect. Bentil was 100% going to get drafted by someone. Delgado is not a legit NBA draft prospect. Tony-El worked out with the Nets, Hazel worked out hawks, players from low majors like Monmouth and Iona work out with NBA teams. Organizations work out players that aren't draft worthy all the time to see if they will pick them up in free agency after the draft. Delgado has an outside shot signing with a team as an undrafted free agent. That's it.

Leaving college to play in 3 NBA games is a good choice because he was considered a legit NBA prospect? He was never a first round choice. Isaiah was blessed to be a Net where he would get an opportunity. Not many second rounders get the same opportunity Isaiah had. Most second rounders end up like Bentil, playing somewhere hoping that anybody picks them up. He didn't even play for the team who drafted him. He was essentially an undrafted free agent for the Mavericks to sign. The celtics drafted him and did nothing with him.

Dan, does he think he actually has a chance in the nba?
Of course he does. But he also has a fallback in his home country or maybe another Spanish speaking country.

I think most of us, myself included, think he's making a terrible choice, but then I go back to my time at the Hall and remember as a senior how anxious I was to leave and start making money in the business world.

Now I look back and realize my 4 years at Seton Hall were as precious as most any time I have spent in my life.

Of course he does. But he also has a fallback in his home country or maybe another Spanish speaking country.

I think most of us, myself included, think he's making a terrible choice, but then I go back to my time at the Hall and remember as a senior how anxious I was to leave and start making money in the business world.

Now I look back and realize my 4 years at Seton Hall were as precious as most any time I have spent in my life.

Well said, HallDan. When you're 22-23, you want to rush.

It's not the same exact thing, but we saw in college football, where the fear of injury is much greater, elite players protecting their draft status, by skipping the post season bowl games, because the game was pitched as "meaningless" and there is a lot of money at stake.

Notre Dame's Jaylon Smith, tore up his knee and was a consensus Top 5-7 overall pick....he was bailed out by Jerry Jones and Dallas, being taken in the 2nd round, despite no possible chance he would even play until Year 2 at the earliest and he's now been shelved from potentially contributing in and mini-camps this spring and early summer.

Michigan's TE Jake Butt, got high-lowed on a tackle in the Orange Bowl vs Florida State and took out an insurance policy to protect him from injury....it helped somewhat, but his drop from a likely 2nd rounder to the 5th round, is 7-10M swing in income over his rookie contract of signing bonus and salary.

With Delgado, there is no guarantee whatsoever, that he locks himself into a higher earning potential next year....if he's not on anyone's draft boards this year and the wave of kids that stayed in school are already ahead of him next year, he's not going to get drafted next year either.

Selfishly for SHU fans, I get the notion that he can improve his stock, but the reality is, he may have taken the limited information and realized that even some of the fans begging him to stay, were in some cases critical of him, because of his shortcomings (lack of leaping ability, footspeed etc.).....those items are not going to magically appear in another 6 months.

Some players are better off in this market place of focusing 100% of their energy and youthful legs into the sport that will make them the most money. He's going to be 23 or starting his rookie year going towards 24, which is already age discrimination in the eyes of some of NBA teams, that know a player that survives on effort, is only wasting minutes and another year of classes and other items in college.

It all comes down to SHU hasn't recruited a viable option or Plan B for the last 4 recruiting cycles and if there was, there wouldn't be so much anxiety or in a couple of cases, downright disgraceful comments about Delgado.....he owes SHU nothing, he's been the backbone and focal point of the program's front line. If you landed a grad transfer tomorrow that is decent, half the comments would be "good luck and you'll always be a Pirate".

The onus and focus is misguided against Delgado...you have a HC and a staff that needed to recruit a viable or decent replacement....the train ride was eventually going to end, you need to recruit a starting caliber big man and everything is "all-in" on this one season as if it's the end of time..........the excuse of not having another viable option because Delgado was expected back, makes no sense....if anything, the viable replacement is Brodie or should have been another potential starter.

You found a replacement for Jones in Walker....you have Cale as an eventual replacement on the wing or 2G....you landed the Monteverde kid.....the staff just needed to land a viable replacement, vs publically burying Delgado, as if he owes you guys something or he's ruining this potential run to a Sweet 16 etc....something that isn't guaranteed or locked in anyway....

The staff, just like any staff is paid tons of money to recruit.....go find a viable replacement, you have to do it anyway, regardless of whether Delgado reverses course and came back.....he could get injured in November and then make no money at all.....probably not worth the risk in his eyes....

I mean it is. How many other players are doing this? Delgado shouldn't even have this in his mind. Other coaches don't deal with this, or probably gave and squashed it. Very very limited examples.

Bottom line, like business, doesn't matter how hard you try just get results. It's not all the staffs fault but come on. Convince him coach. Do or do not there is no try.

Fair enough, we just disagree which is fine

Of course Willard is trying to get him to stay it would be crazy to think otherwise . Kids are going to do what they want most the time and I think its insane to say that Willard and staff are at fault for this.
Angel is making an adult decision as a grown man! This has nothing to do with other players either, just because other players aren't doing it does not mean that Willard isn't pulling out all the stops trying to get him to stay. This indicates to me no matter what the staff is doing he seems to have made his mind up he wants to leave IMO.

How is Angels account verified? Typically only seen that before for professional athletes, celebrities and other famous people.

You found a replacement for Jones in Walker....you have Cale as an eventual replacement on the wing or 2G....you landed the Monteverde kid.....the staff just needed to land a viable replacement, vs publically burying Delgado, as if he owes you guys something or he's ruining this potential run to a Sweet 16 etc....something that isn't guaranteed or locked in anyway....

The staff, just like any staff is paid tons of money to recruit.....go find a viable replacement, you have to do it anyway, regardless of whether Delgado reverses course and came back.....he could get injured in November and then make no money at all.....probably not worth the risk in his eyes....

I think some of our fans are underestimating the roster even if Delgado does not return.

Agree. There is real value in having seniors like Deano and Desi, who will be really good conference players next year. Plus Ish, Mike, development from Powell, contributions from the freshman. Of course we take a hit sans Angel, but we still have pieces to have a nice season.

I think some of our fans are underestimating the roster even if Delgado does not return.

Don't know if this Dominican reporter is piggybacking off of everything we've already heard but he's saying that Delgado has signed with rocnation.

Agree. There is real value in having seniors like Deano and Desi, who will be really good conference players next year. Plus Ish, Mike, development from Powell, contributions from the freshman. Of course we take a hit sans Angel, but we still have pieces to have a nice season.

I wish I had your optimism. Angel literally took over games with his court presence and rebounding abilities. Teams employed entire gameplans built around trying to minimize his presence. I just don't see how we make the tournament without him this season. All of our guys are going to have to have absolute A+ seasons.

I'll call Angel and find out :) Until then, let's just wait until the official word comes out. Even though I do love wild speculation and a good codebreaker analysis of every tweet coming out.

Let's not forget his leadership. He filled the void left after Gordon and Whitehead. The team often fed off his energy.

Did anyone hear anything from Angel (himself). No

Angel's a smart kid. It would be a bad business move to say anything unless he's committed 100% on his plans for the future. He's not saying anything if he's only 99% in one direction.

Last edited:
SPK Did you speak to Angel? No So you are just speculating like everyone else. Move on from what, no final decision has been made.

I think he is gone, but there are some posts on twitter mentioning that the tide has turned a little bit as Dan had mentioned

tumblr_m07nvjgo6G1qkktc4o2_r3_500.gif

SPK Did you speak to Angel? No So you are just speculating like everyone else. Move on from what, no final decision has been made.

There is no speculation on my part and there never was any turning of the tide whatsoever.

SPK Source? So are you saying that Dan is not posting the truth? Did you read Dan's post?

SPK Source? So are you saying that Dan is not posting the truth? Did you read Dan's post?

My sources in the NYC area "sports business" field.

Sometimes they differ from Dan, but that doesn't mean he's not posting what he was told. Dan is no liar (sorry mjs429 or whatever your number is today)..

Reactions: mjs429
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT