ADVERTISEMENT

Fraud and Corruption Charges in College Basketball - noon presser

I will just say this. When I was younger and before I had access to the info I presently do I thought it was bad as I'm sure most of our readers do now. But fast forward to today and I will add what I thought was happening back then doesn't even scratch the surface.

The stories I've heard are insane. Generally the head coaches are innocent in the actions. They just give the thumbs up or thumbs down for actions to happen giving the approval of whether or not they want the player or not. The coaches stay out of it and let others do the dirty work. Ultimately I think this will be a good day for college athletics. There's a lot of tax consequences involved in these situations. I'm curious how far they push it on that end.

The stories I've heard are insane. Generally the head coaches are innocent in the actions. They just give the thumbs up or thumbs down for actions to happen giving the approval of whether or not they want the player or not. The coaches stay out of it and let others do the dirty work. Ultimately I think this will be a good day for college athletics. There's a lot of tax consequences involved in these situations. I'm curious how far they push it on that end.

This investigation was 2 years old, they are going to push this very hard.

The United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York described the investigation this way: "Since 2015, the FBI and USAO have been investigating the criminal influence of money on coaches and student-athletes who participate in intercollegiate basketball governed by the NCAA. As relevant here, the investigation has revealed numerous instances of bribes paid by athletic advisors, including financial advisors and business managers, among others, to assistant and associate basketball coaches employed by NCAA Division I universities as facilitated by the coaches, in exchange for those coaches exerting influence over student-athletes under their control to retain the services of the bribe-payers once the athletes enter the National Basketball Association."

This investigation was 2 years old, they are going to push this very hard.

The United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York described the investigation this way: "Since 2015, the FBI and USAO have been investigating the criminal influence of money on coaches and student-athletes who participate in intercollegiate basketball governed by the NCAA. As relevant here, the investigation has revealed numerous instances of bribes paid by athletic advisors, including financial advisors and business managers, among others, to assistant and associate basketball coaches employed by NCAA Division I universities as facilitated by the coaches, in exchange for those coaches exerting influence over student-athletes under their control to retain the services of the bribe-payers once the athletes enter the National Basketball Association."
What is odd though is the supporting documents seem to list actions between May 2017 and September 2017... at least the 2 I have read so far.

What is odd though is the supporting documents seem to list actions between May 2017 and September 2017... at least the 2 I have read so far.

Maybe that is when they started getting the good stuff? It also seems like it's multiple separate investigations going on at once that they are bringing together as one.

It doesn't take a wizard to figure out the Arizona recruit referenced on pages 46-50 of the Book Richardson complaint. It's one thing to read vague accusations on message boards. It's another thing to read the DOJ describe a $15,000 bribe that got an SHU recruit to attend Zona.

One serious question, does this affect whether players attend college versus going overseas out of high school?

I think this has always been a part of college basketball because one recruit can make such a difference and you have small amount to pay.I think historically it was worked through by boosters to give coaches plausible deniability but apparently coaches more involved in recent cases like Louisville.Apparently slick Rick only likes extra action in diners but his assistant took a broader view of this issue.

The problem is the timeline.

Of course once proven they can no longer play. But this case might takes years to conclude which will leave the NCAA with a very sticky situation.

If they ever suspend a player who is later found innocent they're going to have to dig very deep into their pockets to say I'm sorry,

Reactions: Joe_T
It's going to be extremely awkward at a minimum for some of the kids who are obviously involved in the charges brought today against some Asst Coaches to actually play for those teams no?

At a minimum those Assts are likely to be fired right?? I understand the "innocent until proven guilty", but would guess one/some of these schools will want to get out in front of this if at all possible. At least suspended with pay while investigation continues.

Reactions: Section112
Does Quinerly open up his recruiting now that Zona is going on probation? SHU or Nova bound? No way I would touch any of these 6 for a few years

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
The problem is the timeline.

Of course once proven they can no longer play. But this case might takes years to conclude which will leave the NCAA with a very sticky situation.

If they ever suspend a player who is later found innocent they're going to have to dig very deep into their pockets to say I'm sorry,

If I was the NCAA it would be very simple. Let the kid play. Let the school know beforehand if this does turn out to be truth and the kid plays it's getting a 5 year death penalty. Let the school decide what to do.

Which is what I said last week. The players have to know this is illegal when they take money. How do they get off scot-free?
Legally speaking, they are now considered professionals, and must report these funds on their tax returns as income. They are no longer eligible to play in college. I can't see any other way around it.

I'd be surprised if the NCAA could get anything resolved that quickly. Long term, this is death penalty level stuff though.
I can't see the NCAA killing any of its cash cows. I think the death-penalty days are over, given that the NCAA is considerably weaker than it was 30 years ago. They'll be postseason bans and scholarship reductions, but that's it.

Reactions: chickenbox
Sean, there will be far worst than just that if and when people are found guilty.

Sean, there will be far worst than just that if and when people are found guilty.
Oh, I agree that this extends well into the realm of law and far beyond the purview of the NCAA. And I think that's how it will be handled, and very seriously in many cases. I also see that as part of an emerging trend, where the diminished NCAA is forced into the background in matters where federal and state statutes are involved (see their massive overreach into the Penn State matter - a horrible affair that wasn't really about the NCAA and all about the law). Guys will go to jail, but I don't think you'll see programs put away.

Reactions: chickenbox
I can't see the NCAA killing any of its cash cows. I think the death-penalty days are over, given that the NCAA is considerably weaker than it was 30 years ago. They'll be postseason bans and scholarship reductions, but that's it.
Maybe not. But federal criminal charges involving cash for players? I mean.... if that's not death penalty level stuff, I'm not sure what is.

Oh, I agree that this extends well into the realm of law and far beyond the purview of the NCAA. And I think that's how it will be handled, and very seriously in many cases. I also see that as part of an emerging trend, where the diminished NCAA is forced into the background in matters where federal and state statutes are involved (see their massive overreach into the Penn State matter - a horrible affair that wasn't really about the NCAA and all about the law). Guys will go to jail, but I don't think you'll see programs put away.

The NCAA will be forced to act by the USAG and the Fed gov

If I was the NCAA it would be very simple. Let the kid play. Let the school know beforehand if this does turn out to be truth and the kid plays it's getting a 5 year death penalty. Let the school decide what to do.
Not sure they would go that far but I could see them telling a school if a player is found guilty of accepting benefits every game he plays will be forfeited along with other penalties.

Not sure they would go that far but I could see them telling a school if a player is found guilty of accepting benefits every game he plays will be forfeited along with other penalties.

Dan, the feds are now involved. This is going to get extremely ugly the longer they are involved. If the NCAA doesn't handle its business in a tough manner, the feds will be looking into them next. This is 100% about money. They could care less about who plays for what school. Money talks and it's going to talk loudly in this case. Without major financial impact at the universities the NCAA will walk away with more egg on its face than it already has for letting it get to this point.

Huge! Will the Feds go after any players as well? It's a crime to accept a bribe. Or is it considered compensation? This will be an interesting story for a very long time and the kids involved in it may become pawns that have to sit out or try to go pro somewhere until the dust settles. Their college careers may be put on hold indefinitely. I wonder how tight the border is in Arizona because Book may be making a run for it.

Reactions: ShuVol
Huge! Will the Feds go after any players as well? It's a crime to accept a bribe. Or is it considered compensation? This will be an interesting story for a very long time and the kids involved in it may become pawns that have to sit out or try to go pro somewhere until the dust settles. Their college careers may be put on hold indefinitely. I wonder how tight the border is in Arizona because Book may be making a run for it.

It could be considered a gift in which the giver of the gift is subject to gift tax letting the player and family off the hook. Whoever is giving the money is in real trouble.

Dan, the feds are now involved. This is going to get extremely ugly the longer they are involved. If the NCAA doesn't handle its business in a tough manner, the feds will be looking into them next. This is 100% about money. They could care less about who plays for what school. Money talks and it's going to talk loudly in this case. Without major financial impact at the universities the NCAA will walk away with more egg on its face than it already has for letting it get to this point.
My reply was answering a specific question about imm penalties on players. That's different from the long term scope of the complaint.

I agree with what you are saying imm above. But I didn't agree with the response you made to that specific question.

My reply was answering a specific question about imm penalties on players. That's different from the long term scope of the complaint.

I agree with what you are saying imm above. But I didn't agree with the response you made to that specific question.

Cool. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I like the idea of the NCAA leaving it to the school for eligibility decisions now but with retro-accountability pending further investigations.

after all these years , the kids thought it was just the way it is done. They all heard the stories of what their pals got. Now they got caught and they probably can't believe its happening to them. Seldom do the feds waste their time on things that aren't 110% certain to bring convictions

It can't even be considered a gift because the player is expecting to give something (his commitment or future endorsement deal) in return. It's going to be a messy situation.

The gift tax applies to the transfer by gift of any property. You make a gift if you give property (including money), or the use of or income from property, without expecting to receive something of at least equal value in return.

When I was a kid, I used to hear about a certain coach at a certain private school in Elizabeth who was a executive at a certain company in Elizabeth that gave jobs to parents of ball players who would attend this certain school. FIFTY years ago.

Maybe not. But federal criminal charges involving cash for players? I mean.... if that's not death penalty level stuff, I'm not sure what is.
We'll see. I don't know nearly enough yet to really make a good determination, the kind I want to stick to. That's really just my initial impulse on this.

On its face,it's got the classic earmarks of a "For Competitive Advantage" violation, which is supposed to be at the heart of such NCAA violation jurisdiction. But they did reach well beyond their scope in the Penn State matter (and I loathe Penn State, but...) and wound up with serious egg on their face, mostly because as ugly as it was, it wasn't really a case of "for competitive advantage."

Now, factor in the reality that many of the Power 5 schools have been making noise about breaking away from the NCAA, and administrating its own governance over competition and championships, and I do think you'll see the NCAA tread very carefully here. All of these schools know in today's situation that there they go but for the grace of God, and the NCAA also isn't going to be too inclined to snuff out any cash-cow programs when it knows there is already a lot of sentiment among these schools to ditch the NCAA altogether. On the other hand, these are the kind of slam-dunk violations those sorts of penalties were made for.

It's gonna be interesting, one way or another. But prepare yourself to feel very unsatisfied when this is all over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT