ADVERTISEMENT

Fraud and Corruption Charges in College Basketball - noon presser

When I was a kid, I used to hear about a certain coach at a certain private school in Elizabeth who was a executive at a certain company in Elizabeth that gave jobs to parents of ball players who would attend this certain school. FIFTY years ago.

As time goes on pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

Reactions: mbraue
When I was a kid, I used to hear about a certain coach at a certain private school in Elizabeth who was a executive at a certain company in Elizabeth that gave jobs to parents of ball players who would attend this certain school. FIFTY years ago.

Buzzy??

We'll see. I don't know nearly enough yet to really make a good determination, the kind I want to stick to. That's really just my initial impulse on this.

On its face,it's got the classic earmarks of a "For Competitive Advantage" violation, which is supposed to be at the heart of such NCAA violation jurisdiction. But they did reach well beyond their scope in the Penn State matter (and I loathe Penn State, but...) and wound up with serious egg on their face, mostly because as ugly as it was, it wasn't really a case of "for competitive advantage."

Now, factor in the reality that many of the Power 5 schools have been making noise about breaking away from the NCAA, and administrating its own governance over competition and championships, and I do think you'll see the NCAA tread very carefully here. All of these schools know in today's situation that there they go but for the grace of God, and the NCAA also isn't going to be too inclined to snuff out any cash-cow programs when it knows there is already a lot of sentiment among these schools to ditch the NCAA altogether. On the other hand, these are the kind of slam-dunk violations those sorts of penalties were made for.

It's gonna be interesting, one way or another. But prepare yourself to feel very unsatisfied when this is all over.
I think you are right. Have to think the NCAA will sit back on this for some time to see what charges are made and possibly wait for outcomes. If they have a public legal case where charges are proven they don't need to do an investigation. They can just hit the programs with penalties with all the public evidence that is available.

Reactions: SHUSource
Could this be the end of Rick Pitino?

Second accusation of cheating in as many years and second time charges are being brought as well.

You can only plead lack of knowledge so many times, before even your most ardent supporters realize your a full of it.

Well...he could upgrade his plea to Alzheimers....

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Huge! Will the Feds go after any players as well? It's a crime to accept a bribe. Or is it considered compensation? This will be an interesting story for a very long time and the kids involved in it may become pawns that have to sit out or try to go pro somewhere until the dust settles. Their college careers may be put on hold indefinitely. I wonder how tight the border is in Arizona because Book may be making a run for it.

Nah...he'd run into The Wall....

Is the Augustine referred to the guy who coached Nas Little? Little is that 2018 kid who absolutely blew up this summer. I heard about him from some SJU fans/alums who were on him before others and thought they had him locked down. In a span of a few weeks, they didn't even make his top 5.

I don't see how the players or coaches could be brought into the criminal case. As a physician if I pay a person to steer referrals my way, I'm criminally negligent because I am licensed, whereas the person who took my money didn't break any laws. The players and coaches in this case only have to worry about NCAA rules, which will be severe. The criminal case is involved with people who have licensed professions who broke laws by paying others to bring inclients to their businesses.

I don't see how the players or coaches could be brought into the criminal case. As a physician if I pay a person to steer referrals my way, I'm criminally negligent because I am licensed, whereas the person who took my money didn't break any laws. The players and coaches in this case only have to worry about NCAA rules, which will be severe. The criminal case is involved with people who have licensed professions who broke laws by paying others to bring inclients to their businesses.

I agree with the players. The coaches knew all about the fraud side of things and participated in it.

The issue here is not an NCAA one. It is literally being taken out of their hands by the FBI and the SDGA’s office. This is bribery and possible raqueteering. Because there was a process of using money to manipulate the outcome of a contractual relationship. Because the bribes were used to drive income that was not taxed. Because the individual institutions acted in a way that others who were representing scholarship as the grounds for a relationship between an institution and an individual. These funds superseded legal financial gain by a recipient who benefited from those funds that were not promised as part of a contractual agreement, but for the purposes of paying off an individual to make a decision that was potentially damaging to other institutions who did not offer such bribes. This is a major mess and will take down a number of big people in the CBB world.

Reactions: anon_x0d8d0dquuo4t
anxious to hear Slick Rick spin this one. He's really good at it. I know nothing!!

According to some media reports there may be other schools involved ( at least 2 ) and the investigation is continuing.

What I'm curious if there are any disgruntled "in the know" boosters at the busted schools who will call into the hotline and rat out on the schools, coaches, and companies that do it as well.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
The issue here is not an NCAA one. It is literally being taken out of their hands by the FBI and the SDGA’s office. This is bribery and possible raqueteering. Because there was a process of using money to manipulate the outcome of a contractual relationship. Because the bribes were used to drive income that was not taxed. Because the individual institutions acted in a way that others who were representing scholarship as the grounds for a relationship between an institution and an individual. These funds superseded legal financial gain by a recipient who benefited from those funds that were not promised as part of a contractual agreement, but for the purposes of paying off an individual to make a decision that was potentially damaging to other institutions who did not offer such bribes. This is a major mess and will take down a number of big people in the CBB world.
I have little doubt that a good portion of this was known by the NCAA is some form or fashion. But without subpoena power and with the fear of upsetting the power schools they took a backseat.

Now, even though this is a major black eye for the sport the NCAA can just sit back and let the Fed do all their work including the punishments that are sure to follow.

NCAA is complicit in all this and should be investigated.

Meanwhile, Can someone call the FBI about the Loui$ King recruitment by Oregon/Nike? There are some SHU people in the know about what went down. Come on, pick up that phone man!

NCAA is complicit in all this and should be investigated.

Meanwhile, Can someone call the FBI about the Loui$ King recruitment by Oregon/Nike? There are some SHU people in the know about what went down. Come on, pick up that phone man!

Jim Delaney is already writing the NCAA’s obit.

Don’t be so sure. At the least the threat of prosecution will be used to get the kids to testify in support of the government

This is unreal, where a U of L coach says "we gotta be very low key" since U of L is already on probation."
That's why of all the schools out there and with the info we have to date it seems like if any school will get the death penalty it will be Louisville.

Reactions: Section112
Hearing Bowen at UL
Lonnie walker at Miami
JQ Arizona.

Should all be banned from college basketball if proven true
How different this could have been for Quinerly because I was told by a no doubt about it quality source that he was going to Nova until in the last 30 minutes he changed his mind and announced for Arizona.

Nassir Little's recruitment will be one to watch, if he ever plays.

His AAU coach is one of the people arrested

Hearing Bowen at UL
Lonnie walker at Miami
JQ Arizona.

Should all be banned from college basketball if proven true
Question is will they also be banned from HS ball too if there is proof they actually received some money? Does that mean they give up their amateur status? These kids could be done from HS and college. What a difference a day makes wow!

Reactions: Bluebeard
How different this could have been for Quinerly because I was told by a no doubt about it quality source that he was going to Nova until in the last 30 minutes he changed his mind and announced for Arizona.
Nova was thought to be in good shape with Lonnie Walker as well before a change of heart.

Reactions: TommyAlly
That's why of all the schools out there and with the info we have to date it seems like if any school will get the death penalty it will be Louisville.
Makes sense. This is what sunk SMU football back in '87 or whatever it was - the grievous lack of institutional control, violation after violation with no effort to contain or correct them.

pages 48-50 clearly talking about Quinerly.

"I am aware that on or about August 9, 2017, player 5 verbally committed to playing for university-4." In reference to Book Richardson pursuit of a top point guard in the country.

Basically mentions how his mom wanted $15,000 and Book needed to arrange to get that to her b/c the head coach wanted him "bad as ****" and Book saw it as an opportunity to gain leverage in the program.

not surprised about lonnie walker. it was well known around town here that his dad was shopping him to the highest bidder. word is certain large debts quietly went awawy. nova had noshot a the end

Before we start implicating the head coaches as parties to these schemes certain legal standards have to be met and one of them that has to be met is whether the head coach had " Scienter " that is knowledge of a wrongful act. In this case I would proffer that it is likely that the way to establish that is that one or more parties to the scheme testify that the head coach knew about the scheme and that conversations discussing the scheme took place with the head coach. It would of course be helpful if there was a paper trail that supports the testimony such as a text message, an e-mail , etc but that has yet to surface.

The point I'm making is that what may seem obvious still has to meet a standard of proof before a charge can be made. However there is an old adage that prosecutors use and that is " that the first person in line gets the best deal " and we'll see who is most willing to cut a deal and give the prosecutors what they need to charge others in this scheme.

Thank you for this, Ironlung. Folks could go to jail for this. The NCAA is their least worry at this point. Here's another scenario: When a regulator like the NCAA shows it can't handle enforcement and major illegalities are going on under its nose, then that entity will come down hard on offenders with hobnail boots. It's both embarrassed and pissed because the Feds just showed them up.... This happened in the stock trading world in the 90s. The DOJ showed up the SEC with an investgation on price fixing in Nasdaq. The SEC clobbered the industry with penalties because it missed the boat and was caught asleep at the wheel. In this case, after the Feds are done, the NCAA just might seek the stiffest penalty possible. This is an integrity of the game issue. They can't be happy at NCAA Central right now.

Reactions: Joe_T and Flnj86
Nova was thought to be in good shape with Lonnie Walker as well before a change of heart.
Well done by not giving in to the nonsense.

Bending rules is one thing. Everyone is doing it. But going to this extreme is down right ridiculous.

Where is South Carolina mentioned? Haven't seen anything on them
Here is a quote from one of the articles implicating the former South Carolina coach who now coaches for Oklahoma State - "Mr. Evans, until March, coached at the University of South Carolina, and the charges stem from his work there."

Reactions: Joe_T
Alluded to this earlier, Artie. Before Nas blew up this summer, some folks told me that SJU had made great strides with him and were a serious contender (along with in-state UF), if not the favorite. Then, after a few weeks of the AAU circuit and blowing up, SJU doesn't even make his top 5 and all the big boys/blue bloods are on that list, including Arizona who is linked to this.

Nassir Little's recruitment will be one to watch, if he ever plays.

His AAU coach is one of the people arrested

Reactions: Joe_T
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT