ADVERTISEMENT

home & home set up with VCU!

1. Big Ten home game (better be a home game...)
2. Preseason NIT game at Nassau (URI/Vandy/UVA)
3. Preseason NIT game at Nassau (URI/Vandy/UVA)
4. Preseason NIT "cupcake" (not necessarily) game at home
5. Preseason NIT "cupcake" (not necessarily) game at home
6. Louisville away
7. UA Reunion at MSG
8. RU in Piscataway
9. VCU at home
10. FDU at home

Updated 4/24:
Added Louisville & UA Reunion. Of those last two, figure both to be guarantee games, giving us 3 definite cupcakes, with one of them played at Walsh. And said Carino said, apparently one of those cupcakes won't be St. Peters AGAIN, which is troubling b/c I like the tradition of that game.Two of the Preseason NIT games have the potential to be cupcakes also, but may be real competition as well.

Last edited:
RU, URI, Vandy/Virginia, B1G/BE Challenge, VCU... 4 legit games with another P5 game in RU.... I'm sure there's going to be another good game or two. Would love to do another UA game at MSG.

Schedule looks to be pretty decent next year.

I know I complain a lot, but fans deserve a lot better than a mediocre VCU.

Why wouldnt we play them at there arena when we have a senior dominated team and they are in a transition year?? The staff just doesn't get it

I know I complain a lot, but fans deserve a lot better than a mediocre VCU.

Why wouldnt we play them at there arena when we have a senior dominated team and they are in a transition year?? The staff just doesn't get it

I agree with you on this. Even a depleted VCU is likely an upgrade, but look at what we're comparing it to, LOL!!!

You need a big name. It benefits the program to have some buzz early in the season.

RU, URI, Vandy/Virginia, B1G/BE Challenge, VCU... 4 legit games with another P5 game in RU.... I'm sure there's going to be another good game or two. Would love to do another UA game at MSG.

a neutral court UA game at MSG would be fantastic. Really hope they are setting one up and want us involved in it again. Our NYC seniors should play as many games at MSG as possible.

Agree that UA should do the annual double header in MSG and we should be getting an invite more often than not. Other teams I found that are UA teams: Maryland, Temple, Utah, Notre Dame, Northwestern. All would be fun choices.

We get them at home next season. They figure to be down a bit from this season with the new staff and Moe Allie-Cox & others graduating, but still good. I like it, at least the staff is trying.
Where did you see this, I didn't see anything announced on twitter or anything?

Interesting. They won't be that good next year but have been a traditionally good program obviously. Always have been surprised we don't ever play a school like St Bonaventure who should be in mix for a birth next year.

Agree that UA should do the annual double header in MSG and we should be getting an invite more often than not. Other teams I found that are UA teams: Maryland, Temple, Utah, Notre Dame, Northwestern. All would be fun choices.

Also Wisconsin, Cincy, St Marys. UCLA and Cal switching to UA this summer. A lot of good basketball programs so I would imagine that UA would want to showcase these teams every year at MSG. Lets hope it happens

that sounds exciting!
giphy.gif

Reactions: Shuathelete
Hearing about a home at home series with a top 5 program. The only downside is our home game may be at MSG

Hearing about a home at home series with a top 5 program. The only downside is our home game may be at MSG

So home and neutral court game. Since our Season Ticket holders most likely won't get the game as part of the package (I would assume). Meaning we'd have to go out and buy our tickets to a "home game".

Reactions: shu99
If that's the case, it's not ideal but it could make sense in the microcosm of what is needed for this part. upcoming season. We DO need a legit test on the road (RU ain't cuttin' it). So if we get a top 5 team on the road, it's a win/win for the record/RPI/SOS win OR lose.

Sure the neutral court game the next season at MSG isn't great. But there are other home games the staff can schedule with a good team to make up for it. Here's hoping. Plus, it could be worse. At least this isn't that horrid RU/UNC deal from a few years ago.

I agree with you on this. Even a depleted VCU is likely an upgrade, but look at what we're comparing it to, LOL!!!

You need a big name. It benefits the program to have some buzz early in the season.

It is not much, but I guess it is something is right. We did a home and home with Richmond under Willard and was the home and home with Temple under Gonzalez and finished under Willard?

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
I would like to see these guys play a true road game against a blue blood...( a return of some kind would be nice(maybe msg), but we're just not getting a HnH with them)

Let our guys get the opportunity of playing at a Duke or Kentucky with the possibility of knocking off their freshman filled team in the first few weeks of the season.

If that's the case, it's not ideal but it could make sense in the microcosm of what is needed for this part. upcoming season. We DO need a legit test on the road (RU ain't cuttin' it). So if we get a top 5 team on the road, it's a win/win for the record/RPI/SOS win OR lose.

Sure the neutral court game the next season at MSG isn't great. But there are other home games the staff can schedule with a good team to make up for it. Here's hoping. Plus, it could be worse. At least this isn't that horrid RU/UNC deal from a few years ago.
Does Longwood have any open home dates?

My biggest issue with Willard over the years has been the OOC schedule. It has gotten slightly better recently, but is still lacking.

I know most people don't agree, but I am not in favor of home & home with bad teams. In Willard's tenure, we have had home & homes with Rutgers (I understand but they have been pitiful), VCU (looks to be bad in a weak conference), Dayton (before they were good), Richmond, & Longwood (yes we played a game there).

It is so frustrating for season ticket holders, fans, & alumni to go to the Rock for the likes of Delaware, Central Conn St, and other terrible teams we have played over the years.

2017-18 will likely be our best team in a very long time. It is time for him to get the fans a top tier program at home (excluding the Big10 challenge).

Reactions: shu99
Not defending the schedule, because there's some truth in what you said, but Dayton was a decent team when they played them. You also can't exclude George Washington, Wichita State and Georgia.

The real issue is playing too many 250 to 351 teams over 100 to 200 teams. That's what would make it more interesting.

My biggest issue with Willard over the years has been the OOC schedule. It has gotten slightly better recently, but is still lacking.

I know most people don't agree, but I am not in favor of home & home with bad teams. In Willard's tenure, we have had home & homes with Rutgers (I understand but they have been pitiful), VCU (looks to be bad in a weak conference), Dayton (before they were good), Richmond, & Longwood (yes we played a game there).

It is so frustrating for season ticket holders, fans, & alumni to go to the Rock for the likes of Delaware, Central Conn St, and other terrible teams we have played over the years.

2017-18 will likely be our best team in a very long time. It is time for him to get the fans a top tier program at home (excluding the Big10 challenge).
the longwood series was in the bobby g era or at least started there, shu was the first high major to play at longwood

Wichita st & Georgia were good games. No complaints there. I'd be fine with playing GW at home, but don't see any benefit in a home & home with a team like that.

I also left out South Florida. People are going to tell me they were a quality team? LOL

I love msg but not a fan of home games there. I would rather do a 2 for 1 with the game at the rock.

Big mistake to underestimate RU next year, especially when our experienced team dropped the last 2 games of the season on bonehead plays & RU gave us a run with nothing.

I love msg but not a fan of home games there. I would rather do a 2 for 1 with the game at the rock.
A 2 for 1 with a blue blood at the rock would be extremely hard (almost impossible) to get done. ie. over the past 7 years the only non-conf teams that Kentucky went on the road for was @UCLA (HnH series) L'ville (rivalry) UNC (blue blood) and N.Dame.. We're just not going to get a home game against a blue blood.

2-3 home and home series set up each year against tournament teams is great.
1 Road n MSG vs a blue blood is also great.

We struggle to get 6k fans for a top 25 game at the rock (see butler game), I'm very pessimistic on a good hall showing at msg for a regular season game - especially if the game is played anytime other than Saturday afternoon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT