ADVERTISEMENT

home & home set up with VCU!

Like most, I think what has been missing is a marquee home game. If KW and company were to schedule a good OOC schedule, my guess is that season ticket sales would soar above their current numbers, which would lead to bigger crowds.

I dont trust the selection process for the Gavett Games. With our luck they'll send us out to Illinois.

in terms of ooc non-tournament games, I would rather play a real home game against a tier 2 program at the Rock than a home game against a tier 1 program @MSG

We struggle to get 6k fans for a top 25 game at the rock (see butler game), I'm very pessimistic on a good hall showing at msg for a regular season game - especially if the game is played anytime other than Saturday afternoon.

Under armor reunion game wasn't a sellout but it was packed and we outdrew USC (I think). Us vs. Kentucky would probably be a sellout and a 60-40 or 55-45 Kentucky SHU turnout.

everyone loves games at the garden. It's the best venue in the world for a basketball game. but something about playing a "home" game in a conference mate's home arena doesn't feel right to me. I also don't think a regular season game there would be as well attended as if it were at the rock.

Last edited:
VCU is a solid program with a large and passionate fan base.
If our game is scheduled on a Saturday I would expect a healthy showing by VCU fans.

Home and homes with Top teams need to be at The Rock.
You go to MSG, you lose any semblance of a home court advantage.

Not defending the schedule, because there's some truth in what you said, but Dayton was a decent team when they played them. You also can't exclude George Washington, Wichita State and Georgia.

The real issue is playing too many 250 to 351 teams over 100 to 200 teams. That's what would make it more interesting.
A few A10 teams every couple of years is nothing to write home about. Throw in USF even if it was a favor was not good. WSU and Georgia were good. But now WSU does not even need us any longer.

VCU is a nice home game. We still need another 'marquee' home game for this season. I've heard rumblings about this 'top 5 team' playing a home and home with us next season but they need to play us at the Rock and not the Garden.

Why is VCU a nice home game? They lose a lot, their top 3 recruits decommitted, & are going through a transition with a new coach. Plus, we have to go there in '18-19

VCU is a nice home game. We still need another 'marquee' home game for this season. I've heard rumblings about this 'top 5 team' playing a home and home with us next season but they need to play us at the Rock and not the Garden.
A top 5 team doesn't "need" to do anything. You can play by their rules, or not play them at all. Take your pick.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
A top 5 team doesn't "need" to do anything. You can play by their rules, or not play them at all. Take your pick.

Because Seton Hall doesn't need to play a supposed 'home' game at the Garden. So, a season ticket holder had to pay extra for a 'supposed' home game. Plus, season ticket holders deserve better than the nonsense that they had to pay for for last year's OOC home schedule.

Reactions: TomD82
Do we need to play a "home game" at MSG...no. Are there benefits to doing it...yes.
If SHU does it that ay, then I hope it truly is treated like a home game and not an add-on neutral game like the UA double-header. Include the game in the season ticket package and do something special, like a discount on getting season ticket holders there and back (especially if the game doesn't end until after 11 p.m. like the South Carolina game and NJ Transit trains are scarce).

If SHU does it that ay, then I hope it truly is treated like a home game and not an add-on neutral game like the UA double-header. Include the game in the season ticket package and do something special, like a discount on getting season ticket holders there and back (especially if the game doesn't end until after 11 p.m. like the South Carolina game and NJ Transit trains are scarce).

Agree, SHU and fans should get some benefit, Maybe not force you to buy tickets as part of your package, but if you choose we get first shot at seats, maybe at discount before general sale,. Also, how do these arrangements work - does SHU rent out say MSG and then keep all ticket sales, or MSG run the even and then give SHU and other team a cut of sales? Anyone know? I know Rutgers has played some games this way at MSG recently.

To each individual season ticket holder, it really doesn't matter if a potential MSG game is built into your season ticket package or not. You're paying the same either way. Either its built in and the cost of the game is included in your price, or its not and your season tickets are 1 game cheaper.

What it would affect (and the reason I hope it is built in) is SHU fan attendance. If people have the ticket already paid for, they're much more likely to show than if it's something they have the option to buy separately. Selling it separately also gives fans the idea that the school is just trying to squeeze more money out of them for the best games, even though that isn't true. The decision of whether to include the game or sell it separately likely comes down to A. seating logistics and B. if they want it to be officially recognized as a true home game or neutral court game (neutral court is better for RPI).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT