ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the biggest sports superstar to fall from the top of the mountain?

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
I would think Mike Tyson would be at the top but this is in the same ballpark

Tiger is heading back to rehab
By Kate Sheehy

June 12, 2017 | 11:00am | Updated

Tiger Woods — faced with possibly losing joint custody of his two young kids after his DUI bust — is going back into rehab, a new report says.

The addled golf great recently reserved the entire male inpatient unit of the Jupiter Medical Center near his Florida home for his stint for an addiction to prescription pills, according to Radar Online.

“Tiger visited the hospital with his children on June 2, then went alone two days later to complete paperwork and his assessment,” a source told the gossip site.

The tee ace, 41, was arrested in Jupiter on May 29 after being found dozing behind the wheel of his banged-up Mercedes-Benz.

He later admitted to cops that he had taken Xanax earlier in the night and also was on Vicodin.

Humiliating cop-car dashcam video showed the fallen star barely able to speak or walk. At one point, he told cops he thought he was in California.

Woods has undergone several surgeries on his back, the most recent in April.

He previously underwent rehab in 2010 for an addiction to Vicodin and Ambien.

He also has been treated for a sex addiction after being exposed as a serial extramarital cheater in 2009, prompting his goody-goody image — as well as his marriage to former Swedish model Elin Nordegren — to implode.

A source told Radar that his relationship with his kids is at stake.

“If Tiger gets caught up in a scandal, he could face losing the 20 percent custody he currently has’’ of daughter Sam, 9, and son Charlie, 8, the source said.

Woods’ rep, Mark Steinberg, did not immediately respond to an email from The Post on Monday, and a woman answering the phone at Steinberg’s office said he would not have any comment.

I think it's Woods without a doubt. O.J. Simpson was never at the level Tiger Woods was at. The guy completely dominated his sport for 10 years.

I think it's Woods without a doubt. O.J. Simpson was never at the level Tiger Woods was at. The guy completely dominated his sport for 10 years.
Tiger completely changed the game of golf in terms of more $ for everyone who has come along after him...Networks, equipment/gear manufacturers, players, etc... Tiger was also the ultimate role model and pitchman who everyone assumed was squeaky clean...oops.

Guy was completely invincible as he seemed to be able to get into everyone's head...until Y.E. Yang took him down at the 2009 PGA. Crazy to think, he has never finished better than a tie for 3rd (in a major) ever since Yang slayed Goliath...

Last edited:

OJ Simpson was the best running back during his time. He is probably top 5 running backs of all time when the running back position was way more important than it is in today's game.
And, let's see where Tiger's downfall is, hmm he cheated on his wife and got a DWI. Meanwhile OJ committed double murder. Is there really a comparison?

OJ Simpson was the best running back during his time. He is probably top 5 running backs of all time when the running back position was way more important than it is in today's game.
And, let's see where Tiger's downfall is, hmm he cheated on his wife and got a DWI. Meanwhile OJ committed double murder. Is there really a comparison?

The question was fall from the top of the mountain. Tiger was Mt. Everest. OJ was Pikes Peak.

Of course, if you a person doesn't play or follow golf I wouldn't expect them to fully comprehend the level of domination Woods exhibited. Tiger Woods was a world superstar. He transcended sports and now he is absolutely nothing. A broken body and, more importantly, a broken mind.

Tiger completely changed the game of golf in terms of more $ for everyone who has come along after him...Networks, equipment/gear manufacturers, players, etc... Tiger was also the ultimate role model and pitchman who everyone assumed was squeaky clean...oops.

Guy was completely invincible as he seemed to be abl to get into everyone's head...until Y.E. Yang took him down at the 2009 PGA. Crazy to think, he has never finished better than a tie for 3rd ever since Yang slayed Goliath...

Yes. While the 2009 scandal really kicked his downfall into overdrive, it was that PGA Championship three months earlier that started it. It proved to the other guys on tour that he was no longer invincible. The mental edge he had over everyone else was gone.

I have to go with OJ over Tiger. OJ lost everything, he's broke , in jail, murdered two people and his reputation is in shambles. Tiger wound up losing his wife, his reputation took a big hit but he still was able to play on the tour and still has earning power and remains extremely wealthy and living the good life and dating beautiful women.

Reactions: HallX2 and cernjSHU
O.J. was not only the best at what he did in college and the pros (during the times he played at each level), he also transcended sports to become a prominent figure in popular culture and entertainment, but even then, only after grabbing one of the plum jobs in sports television, a spot in the booth on Monday Night Football (back when that was not only relevant, but huge). There was a span of time where O.J. Simpson was one of the biggest stars in America, appealing to people across sports and entertainment. And it all started with him establishing himself as perhaps the best running back in football history. Want to say it was still Jim Brown? Maybe it was, but it was an argument. Want to say it's someone else who came along after O.J. retired? Maybe it was, but at that time? He had a claim to being the best ever at what he did.

Tiger Woods is also arguably the best at what he did, and he also made plenty of nice bank on his endorsement deals, as wooden as he was/is. But he was never the star that O.J. Simpson was. If you don't remember it, that's too bad, but it doesn't change what he was.

And he murdered his wife and another guy. Tiger cheated on his wife and got caught. Why are we debating the bigger fall from grace and who fell from higher, again? These two cases aren't comparable at all.

OJ Simpson is the winner....

But what about someone like Jose Fernandez?
The fact i had to google him means hes not really that high on top of the mountain.

The more interesting conversation is for athletes that made it back to the top.

Tiger Woods is also arguably the best at what he did, and he also made plenty of nice bank on his endorsement deals, as wooden as he was/is. But he was never the star that O.J. Simpson was. If you don't remember it, that's too bad, but it doesn't change what he was.

All of your points are good and more than valid in my opinion...until this one... They played in different times, but Tiger was a WORLD star and not just to those who followed sports. OJ was at the pinnacle...in the US. Much of that is due to there being no social media and the worldwide sports frenzy not being what it is today, but... Woods transcended sport in many ways and was truly an iconic figure ala Michael Jordan as far as global reach and brand ambassador.

It is true that with all Tiger's "problems" he is still very much a free man with more $ than anyone could know what to do with. I hope for his sake he gets it together before he loses his partial custody of his kids...

But your point is valid that even if OJ fell from Pikes Peak - he has fallen as low as you can get... Tiger has fallen nowhere near that point even if he started at the peak of Everest.

Reactions: shu09 and Bluebeard
Tough comparison, but one man's life is over and has been for almost 2 1/2 decades. The other will "just" likely never play golf competitively again but still has a chance to salvage his relationship with his kids and whatever happiness may still be out there for him.

On a side note, I bet there are a lot of addicts and their families out there who would love to be able to "reserve the entire male inpatient unit" of a rehab facility.

Reactions: Section112
I see a lot of generational answers here. Both Tiger and OJ were absolutely huge in their sports and changed the game. For the younger crowd here is a little bit on OJ.

OJ's star was huge and he played in a much more popular sport at the time. He was a God in football and media and was one of the biggest endorsement earners around if not the biggest for a number of years.
According to Wikipedia (which is not always correct by the way) - Simpson attended the University of Southern California (USC), where he played football for the USC Trojans and won the Heisman Trophy in 1968. He played professionally in the National Football League (NFL) as a running back for 11 seasons, with the Buffalo Bills from 1969 to 1977 and with the San Francisco 49ers from 1978 to 1979.

In 1973, he became the first NFL player to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a season. He holds the record for the single season yards-per-game average, which stands at 143.1. He is the only player to ever rush for over 2,000 yards in the 14-game regular season NFL format. He also won the MVP and Bert Bell Award that year.

Simpson was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1983 and the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1985. He never won a championship. After retiring from football, he began new careers in acting and football broadcasting.

He was a very big star for a long period of time and acted in a bunch of movies (remember Airplane) and was an announcer for Monday Night Football and for NBC if I recall. He was everywhere and did tons of endorsements for Chevy and running through airports and more.

Compared to Tiger at the time he was as big a star for sure but his fall is bigger IMO. Tiger will always have his money and his accomplishments. OJ has no respect and will die a lonely, despised man. Tiger cheated on his wife and lead a strange life behind the scenes. OJ most likely killed two people, stole from others and did/is doing jail time and will die broke. No comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe_T
I vote for OJ.

Tiger can rehab correctly, retire today knowing his place in history is secure, and live a fabulous life designing golf courses and commentating on golf tournaments. His future remains incredibly bright should he be able to get himself on track.

Reactions: HallX2
OJ, he's done and in jail. Nothing is worse than jail. It ain't Brentwood, baby

OJ and tiger are top two. Vick would be up there as well. He was a huge star before the dog fighting.

Joe p. but he was not not an athlete so not sure if he counts. Referring to his reputation and legacy.

Last edited:
Tiger Woods is also arguably the best at what he did, and he also made plenty of nice bank on his endorsement deals, as wooden as he was/is. But he was never the star that O.J. Simpson was.

That is laughable. Tiger Woods is the biggest sports superstar of the last 30 years.

That is laughable. Tiger Woods is the biggest sports superstar of the last 30 years.

Name a hit movie that Tiger was in? How about name a movie? Why Tiger has all those endorsement deals is because OJ was the first superstar athlete to do it. OJ was a star in sports and in Hollywood as well as an announcer. Tiger was never a personality, the Juice was. People loved OJ. Ok. So you want to say Tiger was bigger star than OJ. Fine. Then look at the other part of the equation.

But the fall Tiger has had is not that big of a deal. He is in rehab and got caught DWI. Not really that big of deal. Nor does it preclude him from making a comeback. OJ murdered two people. Do you see that difference? There is no bigger fall than that and no coming back.

IMO OJ was worse because the depth to where he fell compared to Woods, although in his prime, Tiger was the most dominating athlete in his sport. (Considering they changed the course design at Augusta on some of the holes - like 15 preventing him from drawing the ball down the hill - using a driver/wedge on a par 5!!!).

I actually think Tigers problems started after his dad passed away. Man, I thought he would cruise past Nicklaus' major record but he will likely never play on the tour again. His fall isn't helped by the fact that he is disliked by much of the tour and the stories of how he treated people. He became also became more about protecting his image and brand.

Tiger Woods went from dominating professional golf, winning nearly 25% of the time he teed it up at his peak to a guy who can barely swing a club with a messed up life. There is no bigger downfall.

I said it a long time ago (2010). He will never win another major. The fall has been too fast and too hard. People are finally coming around to that now and realizing he'll never be what he was. Not even close. He may not even win another tour event, nevermind a major.

Name a hit movie that Tiger was in? How about name a movie? Why Tiger has all those endorsement deals is because OJ was the first superstar athlete to do it. OJ was a star in sports and in Hollywood as well as an announcer. Tiger was never a personality, the Juice was. People loved OJ. Ok. So you want to say Tiger was bigger star than OJ. Fine. Then look at the other part of the equation.

But the fall Tiger has had is not that big of a deal. He is in rehab and got caught DWI. Not really that big of deal. Nor does it preclude him from making a comeback. OJ murdered two people. Do you see that difference? There is no bigger fall than that and no coming back.

The difference for me, is that OJ was retired for over a decade. He had a full career. Tiger should have been in his prime

Guys guys guys...OJ didn't kill those people! He was found innocent. What's wrong with all of you?!?

For real though I strongly recommend everyone here watch this past years Oscar winning doc, OJ: Made in America. It becomes clear that the answer to this question is undoubtedly OJ once you've watched it.

I would think Mike Tyson would be at the top but this is in the same ballpark

Tiger is heading back to rehab
By Kate Sheehy

June 12, 2017 | 11:00am | Updated

Tiger Woods — faced with possibly losing joint custody of his two young kids after his DUI bust — is going back into rehab, a new report says.

The addled golf great recently reserved the entire male inpatient unit of the Jupiter Medical Center near his Florida home for his stint for an addiction to prescription pills, according to Radar Online.

“Tiger visited the hospital with his children on June 2, then went alone two days later to complete paperwork and his assessment,” a source told the gossip site.

The tee ace, 41, was arrested in Jupiter on May 29 after being found dozing behind the wheel of his banged-up Mercedes-Benz.

He later admitted to cops that he had taken Xanax earlier in the night and also was on Vicodin.

Humiliating cop-car dashcam video showed the fallen star barely able to speak or walk. At one point, he told cops he thought he was in California.

Woods has undergone several surgeries on his back, the most recent in April.

He previously underwent rehab in 2010 for an addiction to Vicodin and Ambien.

He also has been treated for a sex addiction after being exposed as a serial extramarital cheater in 2009, prompting his goody-goody image — as well as his marriage to former Swedish model Elin Nordegren — to implode.

A source told Radar that his relationship with his kids is at stake.

“If Tiger gets caught up in a scandal, he could face losing the 20 percent custody he currently has’’ of daughter Sam, 9, and son Charlie, 8, the source said.

Woods’ rep, Mark Steinberg, did not immediately respond to an email from The Post on Monday, and a woman answering the phone at Steinberg’s office said he would not have any comment.
Tyson came from the streets, woods was Camelot he is a broken person

That's very debatable, and the world also began more than 30 years ago.

Woods is part of my generation - I think he's older than my wife - so it's not a generational bias. It's just an awareness of how huge O.J. was - and that he was bigger, more significant, and cut across a wider swath than a golfer who didn't have the personality to become anything more than a golfer.

Reactions: Joe_T
That's very debatable, and the world also began more than 30 years ago.

Woods is part of my generation - I think he's older than my wife - so it's not a generational bias. It's just an awareness of how huge O.J. was - and that he was bigger, more significant, and cut across a wider swath than a golfer who didn't have the personality to become anything more than a golfer.

I guess that depends on your interpretation of the question. The way I interpreted it was who was the more illustrious athlete and who fell harder. Tiger Woods is not competitive right now. He may never be again. To go from the very pinnacle of your sport to the bottom? There's no greater fall.

Nobody debates that OJ had greater problems outside of his sport, especially when it comes to the law. The same way that nobody debates Tiger is a strange personality. Always surrounded by a very close group of loyal people, a circle that is incredibly difficult to penetrate. Often described as in his own world and rather aloof, yet incredibly focused. Looking back, I think the fall started earlier than 2009. It was when his dad passed away. He missed the cut his first tournament back at the '06 US Open because he was so distraught. Then he was able to put it together mentally for a couple seasons ('06-'08 were great years for him) before not being able to maintain it as his body started to fail him. That's about the time he started doing all of that Navy SEAL stuff and acting even more strange.

It all culminated nine years ago at that epic US Open at Torrey Pines. That was glory's last shot for Tiger Woods and what a way top it off.

I was at that Open at Torrey for four days but missed the playoff with Rocco. Saw his downhill eagle putt on Saturday on 18. Tiger played on one leg!!

Reactions: shu09
I have to agree that it's OJ, this thread has changed my mind. I was stuck arguing who (imo) was a bigger star and fell from a higher peak...rather than seeing who has fallen the farthest to date. Tiger is a free man with all the $ in the world who is still loved by many even with his faults.

OJs life as he knew it has been over for 20 years now and he is a laughing stock who horrendously committed double murder. It doesn't get much worse than that.

Reactions: Bluebeard
The big difference between the two is that Tiger fell during his peak and OJ fell later in life, when he was a bit past his peak.

If you look at the delta between OJ's peak and the depth of his fall, I'd give my vote that being the larger difference.

Both falls are epic.

Tiger Woods went from dominating professional golf, winning nearly 25% of the time he teed it up at his peak to a guy who can barely swing a club with a messed up life. There is no bigger downfall.

I said it a long time ago (2010). He will never win another major. The fall has been too fast and too hard. People are finally coming around to that now and realizing he'll never be what he was. Not even close. He may not even win another tour event, nevermind a major.

I guess it depends on how you define "fall". If simply the decline in his sporting life...or even endorsement life...maybe Tiger.
And, my initial reaction when reading this topic was "Tiger, without a doubt". but having lived thru the OJ era (both playing career and his downfall) and now reflecting on it, and the comments others have posted...what bigger downfall is there from being on the top of the world (which OJ was...if you weren't around, or old enough to appreciate it, it is hard to comprehend, but OJ was BIG) to actually killing two people....the infamous Bronco chase....the trial that EVERYONE was glued to....to being innocent...but in court only....then finally having "justice" laid upon you for a petty act of thievery....to spending the rest of your life in jail.

THAT is a fall.

It is true, Tiger was also on top of the world...changed the game of golf forever....dominated with ALL capitals, the game, and was en route to smashing the Bear's records....then he too fell to earth.

But his were self inflicted wounds...ones he will suffer with, inside, for his lifetime. But, "suffer" has to be put in context. Tiger, if he gets himself together, will still have status, still have high placed friends, still attend celebrity events...will he ever win at golf again? maybe not, but he sure has a lot of things that he can still do.

OJ has......the yard....

As an avid golfer, I was a huge Tiger fan when he broke on the scene, fully appreciating his physical and mental dominance. But to me, it was also about the reverence and respect he originally showed for the game. One of the tenets of golf is that it is a "gentlemen's game"...the honor of self-reporting fouls...something as simple as removing your hat on the 18th to shake hands with the other players.

Once his dad passed and the personal and physical problems beset him, he started to act like that guy you would never want in your foursome....cursing, being a dick to other players and fans, having some questions about reporting a penalty, etc. I'm sure it must have been tough to deal with, but it's hard to be a fan of someone who doesn't act like a sportsman when things don't go right for him. His love for the game, was really about his love for his own image and protecting his brand. I just couldn't root for him anymore and to the point that I am glad he won't break Nicklaus' major record.

He always had a foul mouth but people looked past that because he was winning. I do think when his father died, that kicked things into overdrive. Your point about questions regarding penalty rulings is a good one. He was "cavalier with the rules" as one Golf Channel analyst said a few years ago. These questions were never asked when he was winning.

Many here are focusing on the fact that Woods has fame and money. But that's a two way street. Especially the part about his fame.

Wherever Woods goes now the public sees him as a laughing stock. After all what makes people feel better about themselves than watching the demise of a sports legend. It might say more about ourselves than him but unfortunately it is what it is.

Also add in the fact that Woods is hooked on prescription drugs, one being associated with mental illness and I think he has a problem much more severe than many believe.

I am not in any way someone who enjoys golf. Watching or playing. But I must admit when he was battling for titles I watched and rooted for him each and every time.

In short, Woods despite his greatness like all of us is a flawed man and I sincerely hope he finds a way to right his personal life. That's FAR more important than winning titles and adding to his financial jackpot.

I think I interpret the definition of a "Fall" different than someone of you guys. OJ murdered people - he's a killer. That isn't a "fall from grace". A "Fall", to me, is someone who can't get out of their own way and just continues a downward spiral all the way from the very top. OJ made a very heinous decision, and everything else in his life has resulted from that decision. Had OJ not killed anyone, his life would be completely different.

Tiger? Well, he cheated on his wife. Multiple times. Got busted doing it, humiliated his family. Lost endorsements. Then it comes out he's addicted to painkillers and other prescription medication. Now this....how many times has this guy been caught cheating, lying, abusing medication, crashing cars, checking himself into rehab etc.....All of this stuff happened on his own watch, on his own terms, and none of these were a direct result of any single action. This is a continued downward spiral of a historic athlete. He was the world's face for a global sport.

OJ was a great athlete in a sport the rest of the world cared nothing for. Sure he was a celebrity, but that can be said for countless athletes (whether he was the first isn't really relevant). But the bottom line, had he not committed that single heinous act, his life would be completely different. But what about Tiger? If take away one of the things he did....will that prevent the others? I don't think so; which is why I think his situation is the bigger "fall". He's a shell of what he was, and has become completely irrelevant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT