ADVERTISEMENT

Isiah Briscoe

Bobbie Solo

All World
Dec 31, 2003
Bayonne Leave It Alone
heard some rumblings about him. Not happy at Kentucky (but not hating it either) & might be transferring. I'm sure we've kept the communication lines open since we recruited him (a la Jevon Thomas, Sterling, etc.) & I'd imagine we would pursue if he does leave. I'd take him in a heartbeat & think we could make Walker/Briscoe work at the 1 for 2018-19. Then you have Gordon & Powell at the 2, and maybe slide Cale over to the 3?

But I want Duval & Walker more (as I'm sure most would agree) as does the staff so that is still top priority.

Reactions: shupat08
If he is truly unhappy, I can see him turning pro and taking the money to play overseas, but I just can't see him sitting out a year to play college hoops.

Seems odd. Unless he is homesick, which is possible, doesn't make sense. Starting pg averaging over 30 mpg on a top ten team with a great chance to go to the final four every year. Facilities probably rival that of most NBA franchises. What gives?

Hears this about two weeks ago, word is he is coming home.

The question is where is home? If it's about an hour south of South Orange that is not good for us. If he comes here you have to love the guards of Briscoe, Powell, Cale, Gordon.

Home is where the Hall is. Didn't you ever hear that?;)

I'd prefer Duval and Walker but Briscoe is good.

Seems odd. Unless he is homesick, which is possible, doesn't make sense. Starting pg averaging over 30 mpg on a top ten team with a great chance to go to the final four every year. Facilities probably rival that of most NBA franchises. What gives?
I don't follow Kentucky and I've only seen him play once, but he had a rough year last year, much better this year but still not McD's AA caliber IMO, and I believe I read on the Trove that his minutes have been reduce lately, and as is always the case with Kentucky, if you're not a 1 and done type, there's always the risk of being recruited over.

I don't follow Kentucky and I've only seen him play once, but he had a rough year last year, much better this year but still not McD's AA caliber IMO, and I believe I read on the Trove that his minutes have been reduce lately, and as is always the case with Kentucky, if you're not a 1 and done type, there's always the risk of being recruited over.
he averaged almost 10ppg and 32mpg as a freshman. You really can ask for more than that imo. Especially at a program like Kentucky.

He is Mcd AA caliber, the problem is when you play on a team with 5 future NBA players you don't have the opportunity to put up numbers like Isaiah Whitehead did at The Hall. If Briscoe were on SHU he might be averaging close to 20pts a game this year.

He did, but he shot 44% from the field, 14% from 3, and 46% from the line, with a 3:2 assist to TO ratio. He did pull down 5 boards/ game, but those aren't McD's AA type #s, even as a freshman. Like I said, he's much better this year, and I'm just going by what I've read from reputable posters, and mainly looking at stats. All that said I would definitely welcome him if he's interested in transferring here.

mmm, 46% from the line. SIGN HIM NOW!

kidding aside, imagine him sitting with Duval here for 1 year and then sharing the PG duties with Walker for 2 years?

one can dream.

kidding aside, imagine him sitting with Duval here for 1 year and then sharing the PG duties with Walker for 2 years?

one can dream.

We'd have an absolutely lethal backcourt with Powell and Cale. That's a freaking top 25 backcourt without question.

If his minutes are down this year they are gonna be down even more down next year. Cal has 5 top 50 incoming freshman including Quade Greene who are probably expecting to do the one and done thing.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo

one can dream.
That was last season, I think I saw where he's around 70% this year

Reactions: SOBO1
Unhappy or not, can't see him sitting out a year unless getting a degree a priority for himself or a parent. Weren't hardship waivers eliminated?

Mentioned on the Trove - buyer beware is what I think. Surprised he'd want to sit out for the year.

Remember if Briscoe comes, so can Duval, since Briscoe would have to sit out.
I bet Walker would not come under that scenario. I want Walker and Duval first. The transfer thing with the sit-out year is usually less than perfect for us and I think there are some issues to consider with Briscoe

I bet Walker would not come under that scenario. I want Walker and Duval first. The transfer thing with the sit-out year is usually less than perfect for us and I think there are some issues to consider with Briscoe

Agree 1000%. One thing I don't know is does taking Briscoe create a much stronger relationship with Roselle Catholic. As you said there are things to consider, I'm sure that's 1 of 50 others.

Agree 1000%. One thing I don't know is does taking Briscoe create a much stronger relationship with Roselle Catholic. As you said there are things to consider, I'm sure that's 1 of 50 others.
I don't think you take Briscoe to make things better with RC. I think you take him because he's good and you think he can help the program. The RC has a life of its own and taking Briscoe I do not think will matter

If this has legs, I expect us, Rutgers and St John's to all make a major play. Remember he chose KY over St John's, which is one of things that led to Lavin's undoing.

He was in some mocks last year, but I don't think so. Certainly not in the first round, which is where he wants to go. Simply put, he got recruited over at Kentucky, which is always a concern when you go to a place like that, even though most kids on that level don't want to hear it.

Rutgers is going to sell him being the man from day one, which he likely won't be at either of the other locals, Pikell's experience playing PG for one of the best coaches in recent years, Brandin Knight, etc.

We are going to sell Whitehead's development and ascension to the league as a soph, back to back NCAA's, Sha and his impact on guard development, etc

St John's is going to sell the Mullin/Richmond NBA connection, the productivity of Ponds/Lovett as freshman, and MSG/NYC (which apparently was a big reason many of his family wanted him to go to St. John's in the first place, along with their rel'ship with Lavin).

Would Briscoe even be drafted if he went pro? Definitely not 1st round

Some day someone really good is going to say yes to Rutgers. Their coach is the real deal. Hoping it doesn't start here.

If this has legs, I expect us, Rutgers and St John's to all make a major play. Remember he chose KY over St John's, which is one of things that led to Lavin's undoing.

Just remember that SJU has two terrific freshman guards and Briscoe's not transferring where he's got players ahead of him .

Is that how his recruiting went? I remember we were involved some but didn't remember sju as being #2

Kentucky fan here, heard about the thread on our board, so I peeked over to see what was going on.

This thread is the first we've heard of any of this.

I haven't heard anything to confirm or deny, but I'd mention:

1. Someone else already gave a basic overview for the logical case against him transferring to another college team in general (versus going to play pro somewhere, hopefully in the league)

2. next year he'd have little backcourt competition (we literally have 3 guards on the roster for '17-'18, and unlike this year where he's going up against 2 uber freshmen and 2 senior guards, next year he'd be a junior fighting for time against 2 strong freshmen [not monk/fox level] and 1 top 50 freshman backup), so the "recruiting over" thing doesn't really apply here. He'd be playing every minute next year.

He's falling out of favor with Cal and you know Cal just recruits like he's leaving.
This is really, really, really, really

really, really

-I need to emphasize really-

really far from reality.

We love Briscoe, but the kid has a longer leash than any player in the history of Kentucky basketball, except maybe Tubby Smith's son.

If you go on any UK forum, every 10th thread is whining about Cal's preferential treatment of Briscoe at the expense of other players.

That's from today - doesn't tell you anything for certain, but he doesn't exactly look miserable.

Last edited:
Had the same thought, except that I hear from folks that Lovett (who is an "old" freshman) could leave as soon as this year to start getting paid for play. And if not this year, pretty likely after his sophomore year. Folks who tell me this are the same ones who give me concern about Angel. Everyone knows Lovett isn't getting picked in the first round and I don't even know if an NBA team would like him enough as a late second rounder. But for some of these kids they prefer to earn some coin right away, even if in Europe initially, because of their backgrounds and how short their "earning" years are in hoops.

Just remember that SJU has two terrific freshman guards and Briscoe's not transferring where he's got players ahead of him .

Yup. Trust me on this. He very much pulled a Kyle Anderson on St. John's. Told certain of their players that he was coming and certain members of his family told Lavin the same and wanted him to stay local. Folks at RC likewise thought he was staying local. At the end of the day, Cal and Kentucky won out as the blue bloods seemingly always do. So hard for a kid to turn down a KY, Kansas, Duke, Zona, UCLA etc especially when they are being told their is immediate PT available. Why I have real doubts on Duvall.

Is that how his recruiting went? I remember we were involved some but didn't remember sju as being #2

Reactions: Seton75
Thanks for your perspective on this. You are obviously closer to the situation. We hear lots of chatter around here about NYC/NJ kids.

Kentucky fan here, heard about the thread on our board, so I peaked over to see what was going on.

This thread is the first we've heard of any of this.

I haven't heard anything to confirm or deny, but I'd mention:

1. Someone else already gave a basic overview for the logical case against him transferring to another college team in general (versus going to play pro somewhere, hopefully in the league)

2. next year he'd have little backcourt competition (we literally have 3 guards on the roster for '17-'18, and unlike this year where he's going up against 2 uber freshmen and 2 senior guards, next year he'd be a junior fighting for time against 2 strong freshmen [not monk/fox level] and 1 top 50 freshman backup), so the "recruiting over" thing doesn't really apply here. He'd be playing every minute next year.

This is really, really, really, really

really, really

-I need to emphasize really-

really far from reality.

We love Briscoe, but the kid has a longer leash than any player in the history of Kentucky basketball, except maybe Tubby Smith's son.

If you go on any UK forum, every 10th thread is whining about Cal's preferential treatment of Briscoe at the expense of other players.

That's from today - doesn't tell you anything for certain, but he doesn't exactly look miserable.

If he leaves Kentucky you can be sure he is going to a Nike school.

Good point on that. It obviously has influence on the HS kids, but does it also play a role in transfer destinations? Not sure.

If he leaves Kentucky you can be sure he is going to a Nike school.

He's certainly not lost out on minutes.
If he has a game where his minutes are not 30 or more it's because of foul trouble, which is likely with SEC refs and their love to make games a foul fest.

Briscoe actually had a really great game against Vanderbilt and got the start on senior night over Monk.

I agree with everything the Kentucky fan said. It just makes no sense to transfer. I could believe that he might want to leave to play professionally but he would probably have to take a pay cut if he left Kentucky.

First, he has to sit out a year. Second, the 2018 class is supposed to be the class where we get great players to restock again. I would rather have Walker or Quinerly here for 4 years. Yes he is a good player but I want to see this school recruit players out of high school. Too much reliance on transfers for my liking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT