ADVERTISEMENT

Isiah Briscoe

I think Briscoe will never transfer and sit out. He is averaging about 13 pt, 4 assts and 5 boards...

This isn't the late 80s early 90s. Transfers are part of nearly every program. We've had Gibbs, Gordon, Jones and others come in. There is not nearly the stigma on transfers as there was in the past. Grad transfers has been a great tool for us and many programs. Georgetown, Gonzaga, and many other schools that don't begin with a G have transfers playing key roles.

Gordon and Jones didn't have to sit. Gibbs, who didnt pkay at tx, not comparable to briscoe.

I agree with you, but few kids of Briscoe's stature and ability agree to sit out a yr. I cannot think of a kid of his stature transferring.

The Lewis kid on Butler was mcd aa, but he was not playing close to how briscoe has been playing.

BTW, it's not just SHU and Briscoe. Rutgers rumors are flying as well.

Bottom line, the one year sit out period in my mind is the great equalizer. Just can't see that happening.

Reactions: BillHall4
Agree Dan. Leaving UK to play pro (even if not in NBA), ok I can believe it. But leaving UK to sit out a year when he is already the starting pg at arguably the best program in the nation - not likely. Also IB is going to the main veteran guard on a very young team next year. They need him.

he averaged almost 10ppg and 32mpg as a freshman. You really can ask for more than that imo. Especially at a program like Kentucky.

He is Mcd AA caliber, the problem is when you play on a team with 5 future NBA players you don't have the opportunity to put up numbers like Isaiah Whitehead did at The Hall. If Briscoe were on SHU he might be averaging close to 20pts a game this year.

I have always been puzzled by the top recruits all converging at one school when the spot light ends up casting shadows on players.

Reactions: Joe_T
I don't pretend to know what goes on behind the scenes, but obviously there are certain perks that some schools are better equipped to provide. Our recruiting angle should be pointing to what IW was able to do, and pointing to examples like Briscoe.

I am looking for another high profile short term recruit that will demonstrate yet again that the individual coaching from the staff is outstanding, as was the case for IW.

That could unlock further high profile recruitment which in turn is the breakout factor we have all yearned for.

Briscoe is a great player, and would have more potential if he dropped twenty pounds.

To be a point guard, you have to look like one.

It would be so much better for his game. That, and get a decent three point shot.

I get this to an extent, but for programs like ours, we should have a steady balance of 3/4 year kids, grad transfers, JUCO's and transfers. Teams that play the grad transfer/regular transfer game well can get good in a hurry, create roster balance and remain consistent programs. Look at Iowa St with Hoiberg, Oregon, Gonzaga. Almost any team in the country would sign up for a kid like Briscoe as a junior with another year of maturation behind him. And guys like Quinerly aren't (a) 4 year players by any stretch and (b) a long shot for the Hall.

First, he has to sit out a year. Second, the 2018 class is supposed to be the class where we get great players to restock again. I would rather have Walker or Quinerly here for 4 years. Yes he is a good player but I want to see this school recruit players out of high school. Too much reliance on transfers for my liking.

Tend to agree with you, Dan, but I've been hearing the rumors as it pertains to all 3 teams I mentioned: Rutgers, the Hall and St. John's. For the life of me, I cannot see why he would ever choose Rutgers over the other two.

BTW, it's not just SHU and Briscoe. Rutgers rumors are flying as well.

Bottom line, the one year sit out period in my mind is the great equalizer. Just can't see that happening.

It seems like you're implying every team has 5 seniors. The old Veteran Soph would get the start on Seton Hall senior night as well, I'd say.
No just a tongue in cheek joke about Kentucky's 1 and dones. Was a complement to Kentucky, wish we were that successful to get recruits like that every year.

And just to set record straight we start 4 juniors and a 5th year Senior.

Weird.

Such a PG heavy draft. He will likely go undrafted.

This decision is just really that he wants to start getting paid. Nba, or overseas. Not just NBA.

i think the idea of just spending time in dleague, collecting salary and just focusing solely on basketball is picking up steam.

Curious to see the ESPN 20 for 20 on Worldwide Wes and Coach Cal. The chickens maybe coming home to roost for Cal

I hope he minored in Chinese at UK.
That's not a bad idea. He's good enough to earn some good cash overseas against good competition, develop some skills for a year or two, then look for a summer league invite (he'll probably get a summer invite this year, but might be buried with how many D-League and first year PGs will be out there).

I am looking for another high profile short term recruit that will demonstrate yet again that the individual coaching from the staff is outstanding, as was the case for IW.

That could unlock further high profile recruitment which in turn is the breakout factor we have all yearned for.

You have a much higher opinion of the player development skills of our staff than I do.

Reactions: SHUMike
That's not a bad idea. He's good enough to earn some good cash overseas against good competition, develop some skills for a year or two, then look for a summer league invite (he'll probably get a summer invite this year, but might be buried with how many D-League and first year PGs will be out there).
Perimeter shooting is his Achilles Heel. If he can improve that he will be a much more dangerous player. The rest of his game is very very good.

You have a much higher opinion of the player development skills of our staff than I do.

What I am trying to say is that IF we get this chance with Duval AND it is demonstrated that the staff seriously helped him with his game, THEN it will become a strong recruiting talking point FOR us going forward.

Opportunity.

Reactions: buzzershot
i think the idea of just spending time in dleague, collecting salary and just focusing solely on basketball is picking up steam.

That's an interesting point. Don't NBDL salaries go up to like $80k next year? Not a bad gig at all.

I think it's very difficult for a staff to be credited with a player's development when the player involved is a top 10 to 15 player coming out of HS and a one and done. Where a staff earns credit for being able to maximize a player's ability is when a player gets noticeably better every year and by his junior year becomes an impact player on the court and what we've seen with Angel is a classic example of that.

I was impressed with Briscoe whenever I watched Ky. I wish him the best, and hope the right opportunity comes along for him.

I think it's very difficult for a staff to be credited with a player's development when the player involved is a top 10 to 15 player coming out of HS and a one and done. Where a staff earns credit for being able to maximize a player's ability is when a player gets noticeably better every year and by his junior year becomes an impact player on the court and what we've seen with Angel is a classic example of that.

If you are coaches at the college level for even one season, there can be great strides. A draft can make a huge difference in months let alone a year. Strenfth, nutrition, focus, individual and team development are all so much more intense.

According to Jeff Goodman of ESPN, Briscoe has declared for the NBA and will sign with an agent.

Confirmed what? That he may be signing with an agent and declaring for the draft?

Still awaiting official confirmation. Would love to see him sign with an agent and declare for the draft if signing with an agent and declaring for the draft is what Briscoe wants.
Wait, who said anything about that??

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
What I am trying to say is that IF we get this chance with Duval AND it is demonstrated that the staff seriously helped him with his game, THEN it will become a strong recruiting talking point FOR us going forward.

Opportunity.

OK, I see what you are saying. Makes sense to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT