ADVERTISEMENT

Jevon Thomas Has Left The Program

When you attend most schools, you also have an academic obligation. (Maybe not at North Carolina)

For the rest of the season, I think it hurts the depth no question.

Injuries and players leaving open up opportunities for others. I'm sure we can all remember instances where it has been a bad thing and there are instances where Laing stepped in for Gaines and it turned out to be a positive. Let's hope Gordon steps up as a backup or even Powell can take over the reigns as a backup PG.

Reactions: anon_x0d8d0dquuo4t
Not knowing what was going on behind the scenes regarding Jevon, iI still however in any event, want to wish the young man nothing but the very best. We as posters and fans look at the situation strickly from an SHU basketball production standpoint. The decision that Jevon has made here is much more than that and it carries much more far reaching life changing consquences. I hope from a personal standpoint that he now makes all the right decisions going forward. GO JEVON! GO PIRATES!

Or you trip players three times during games? Then end up with only a 1 game suspension. Really! Do what ever you want, because there is just a slap on the wrist. Good life lesson!

Veer was not pushed. It was his decision due to lack of PT.

Carter was let go because he did not take his academics seriously. That's on him.

Thomas was a gamble and it turned out to be a bad one. Clearly he has issues.
Just saw that he celebrated a birthday with the team. Wow, mid-season transfers don't help. Unless someone has academic or personal issues, wish these players would stick it out. Hurts the team.

Depth. I don't see how we have enough bodies going forward especially with Ish out tonight and maybe Sunday. Not sure Gordon and especially Soffer are ready for prime time. The walk ons get some minutes?

In and of himself, Jevon Thomas is no loss at all. Addition by subtraction, as Carino says. Lousy player, lousy kid.

But hurting the depth isn't quite the extent of the problem. We have NO point guard on the roster for next year. I've made a point not to belabor the point about the coach having outlived his usefulness to the program two seasons ago; there's no point, as he's not going anywhere and it's tiresome to read it again and again.

But in this context, it bears mentioning that in year seven, he is looking at having no point guard on the roster. That is not just roster negligence, it's malfeasance. And this came about because he had to scramble to take a desperate roll of the dice on a kid like Jevon Thomas, whose faults were telegraphed for all to see. This outcome is no surprise. It would've been more surprising to have had him come on and contribute in a positive way on and off the court.

This is not year-six or year-seven stuff...

Holy smokes.

Thomas
Singh
Carter

Anyone else? lol

More worried about who we bring in than who we let go. Giving away a bunch of ships to kids who contributed little (not really talking about Singh because both sides tried) is just bad recruiting. Coach needs to close on some of the 4 star kids ASAP to give this program the juice.

As Jerry Carino said, three departures mid-season is unusual and makes for "bad optics."

Kids transfer and stuff happens, but we seem to have more than our fair share. Should be interesting tonight and Saturday.

You guys are too hung up on this number of players thing. Last time I checked, only five are allowed on the court at the same time! We still have 2x that many (I think)
Getting close to needing intramural players (or Sha) to join practice for 5 on 5 situations though...that's never a good thing no matter what program you are...

You guys are too hung up on this number of players thing. Last time I checked, only five are allowed on the court at the same time! We still have 2x that many (I think)
And Nova has been playing with a 7 man rotation for most of the season, and I just read Booth is probably done for the season so that's not changing. Not saying we have the same talent, system or coaching, just saying we can overcome him leaving.

Reactions: buckfoston824
Jevon looked like he gave it his all on defense and had a ton of speed. Maybe he just didn't get in the flow. This team isn't contending for much anyway so might as well open up a spot for next year. But DO NOT bring in another marginal big east player

[QUOTE="JTSHU, post: 375227 This team isn't contending for much anyway so might as well open up a spot for next year.[/QUOTE]

They are very much currently in contention for things. Silly comment.

Reactions: its haLL baLL
Let's call it like it is....

Losing 3 players mid season (for whatever reason) isn't good for optics. However, let's not kid ourselves and act like the presence of Jevon Thomas was going to make or break our season. If we don't make the NCAA tournament it's not because we didn't have JT on the bench backing up Jones for the last 9 games.

Reactions: VioletPirate
To be clear I am a Willard supporter, but here are all of the players I could find that either left or were dismissed from the program since he took over in 2010 (some were positive, like going pro)

2010-2011 Roster (Spring Cleaning)
1. Ferrakohn Hall - Transferred to Memphis
2. Jamel Jackson - Dismissed from the team
3. Keon Lawrence - Dismissed from the team
4. Anali Okoloji - Transferred to George Mason, then Eastern Michigan

2011-2012 Roster (Sick Flow, Bro)
5. Sean Grennan - Transferred to Fairfield

2012-2013 Roster (Aaron and the Tantrums)
6. Aaron Cosby - Transferred to Illinois then Western Kentucky
7. Kevin Johnson - Transferred to Cal State-Northridge and we blocked it because of that sneaky Chris Pompey
8. Freddie (is a bonehead and going to pay for it) Wilson - Transferred to Drexel

2013-2014 (What could have been)
9. Pat Auda - Went professional (a gem)
10. Tom Mayaan - Went military then professional
11. Hakeem Harris - Transferred to NYU

2014-2015 (Cold clocked)
12. Chier Ajou - (Where did he go?)
13. Sterling Gibbs - Transferred to Puke-Conn
14. Jaren Sina - Transferred to George Washington

2015-2016 (The Dance)
15. Braeden Anderson - Didn't work out (but he still keeps his spot on the bench warm)
16. Isaiah Whitehead - Drafted in the 2nd round of the NBA Draft

2016-2017 (The Dance Part 2?)
17. Myles Carter - Dismissed from the team
18. Veer Singh - Transferred out
19. Jevon Thomas - Left the team

That's 17 players that either transferred (11), were dismissed from the program (3), left (2) and 2 that went pro.

When it's all laid out, what a revolving door we have been. Feel free to let me know where I messed up, and to clarify - the years listed are when the players last played for the team (to the best of my knowledge).

Last edited:
To be clear I am a Willard supporter, but here are all of the players I could find that either left or were dismissed from the program since he took over in 2010 (some were positive, like going pro)

7. Kevin Johnson - Transferred to Cal State-Northridge and we blocked it because of that sneaky Chris Pompey
8. Freddie (is a bonehead and going to pay for it) Wilson - Transferred to Drexel

2014-2015 (Cold clocked)

2015-2016 (The Dance)
15. Braeden Anderson - Didn't work out (but he still keeps his spot on the bench warm)

That's 17 players that either transferred (11), were dismissed from the program (3), left (2) or went pro (2).

When it's all laid out, what a revolving door we have been. Feel free to let me know where I messed up, and to clarify - the years listed are when the players last played for the team (to the best of my knowledge).

Stop with the fake news. No one left. Everybody's always been happy.

In defense of coach and the staff, kids moving happens to virtually every program these days. It is unfortunate in some cases, and not in others.

This kid has been a problem child since he first verballed as a junior, which seems like a decade ago. We needed some PG options and the staff rolled the dice. I never thought this would work, despite what others were saying about how good he looked in practice last year, how he matured, etc, etc.

Hope my predictions on Duvall don't ring true either.

I don't really see this as hurting us this year, and certainly not in the next few games. Carrington will have to initiate the offense more at times, perhaps, but Madison has been outplaying Thomas for a while now.

Fact- Over 600 players left (transfered) D1 schools last year. There are around 350 D1 schools.

2014-2015 (Cold clocked)

2015-2016 (The Dance)

That's 17 players that either transferred (11), were dismissed from the program (3), left (2) or went pro (2).

We've had several other players leave the program. They just haven't been reported on by mainstream media lol.

JT is a head case. I sort of feel sorry for him. He's his own worst enemy.

Now I'm really sorry Singh left. A good kid who couldn't get it going. Yet !
Wish the coaches and he gave it more time.

This departure just adds to how bad the 2015 class was and is why we have such a limited bench to support this team's core which is the 2014 class. Here's what that 2015 class looked like :

Derrick Gordon - best addition from that class and a major part of last season's success;
Braeden Anderson - no contribution , no longer on team
Amerer Singh - never got it going and transferred in December
Myles Carter - Dismissed from team this year, no contribution in his year and a half here
Javon Thomas - left team , played less then one semester after being suspended for first semester
Dalton Soffer - still with team not BE ready yet but works hard, good teammate

When you're trying to rebuild a program you can't miss a recruiting cycle as bad as the staff did with that class especially after the foundation for an upswing was begun with the 2014 class.

As Gomer Pyle used to say; "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!"

Now we can bring in Walker and Duval next season.

Looks like some PT just opened up for Soffer.

Reactions: Section112
Outside of Willard's big recruiting class a couple of years ago, it's been pretty fruitless.

With JT's departure we have no true point guard on the team for next year just a couple of two's like KC and Gordon that you're trying to convert into point guards. Could there be another graduate senior in our future ?

Last edited:
That kid was taking minutes from quality kids like Soffer and Gordon. I hope they do very well and make most of the opportunity. Play within yourselves guys and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Fishjam
Gotta wish the kid our best and now fill up those open scholly's with some really good PGs and bigs. Is that 4 scholly's for next year with Cale and Brodie taking two?

Reactions: halltheway

2014-2015 (Cold clocked)

2015-2016 (The Dance)

That's 17 players that either transferred (11), were dismissed from the program (3), left (2) and 2 that went pro.

I see 6 that could have made a difference.

JT left me sickened. I would have rather had Dowdy out there! (Now I may get my wish) lol

Reactions: deheremike
Guys, come on, opening up minutes for Soffer? Really? It's year 7 with Upper
Class laden talent... if that's what you want to hang your hat on...geesh.

From all accounts a great kid and teammate, but you don't think any team that plays The Hall will exploit him on defense the second he logs any significant minutes? Same as they do now with Anthony...

Reactions: HallLine69
I think you guys will be fine for the rest of the season as long as there is no major injury to anyone or anyone else leaves the team. RU only had 12 scholarship players last year and Nigel Johnson was a transfer sitting out. That left the team with 11. Doorson broke his foot in October and Diallo shortly thereafter. Doorson missed the entire season and Diallo only played 14 of 32 games. Freeman only played the first 7 games before suffering a knee injury and missed 25 games. Laurent missed 5 games from an injury too and Lewis was hurting from 3 previous knee injuries although he only sat out 1 game he was limited for minutes in many games. When Laurent was out for several games RU only had 7 scholarship players with only one healthy guy over 6'4". I remember Mike Williams guarding a 6'11" guy on Purdue and Omari Grier guarding a 7' guy. Teams were playing volleyball off the backboard. At least your team has 10 scholarship players counting Sanogo and 7 of them are pretty big contributors.

Reactions: Bigwig2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT