ADVERTISEMENT

Jevon Thomas Has Left The Program

Guys, come on, opening up minutes for Soffer? Really? It's year 7 with Upper
Class laden talent... if that's what you want to hang your hat on...geesh.

From all accounts a great kid and teammate, but you don't think any team that plays The Hall will exploit him on defense the second he logs any significant minutes? Same as they do now with Anthony...

This open up minutes for Eron Gordon which will hopefully jump start his development for next year, especially in case Willard strikes out with recruiting.

Plenty of room for Duval, walker and Manuel. Now it's time for Willard to land them.

Any? Sure.

How much? Not much.

Strongly disagree. He recruited and offered free rides to all 3. If they had produced, he would get --and deserve-- the credit.

They have not produced and so he gets-- and deserves-- the blame. If any of the three were knuckleheads (which it appears two of them were) they were Willard's knuckleheads and he has to be accountable for that.

Willard's risk, Willard's reward,

So we're pretty close to the national average, we just may have a higher % of "ugly ones" and those who leave mid-season, most notably when Sina pulled a Butch from Pulp Fiction and dove out a window while still wearing his uniform. (someone else posted this analogy right after it happened but it added levity to a horrible segment of the Willard era).

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Injuries and players leaving open up opportunities for others. I'm sure we can all remember instances where it has been a bad thing and there are instances where Laing stepped in for Gaines and it turned out to be a positive. Let's hope Gordon steps up as a backup or even Powell can take over the reigns as a backup PG.
Yes. Good ooint. Greg Tynes for Paul Lape, Tynes freshman year mid-season. Just one year after Lape set an assist record in the Garden vs. Peters. A negative looked real positive in short order.

This is bad news plan and simple. Lack of bodies is not good.
I'm sure there's a reason this happened and have to back the coach and school on this one but on a wins and losses standpoint this one is going to hurt.
Time for remaining to keep stepping b up big time.

We have a core of players in the rotation. The big 3 have to produce or we have no chance. Jones has to add stability and Powell Is the X factor in my opinion

Sonogo and Nzei have very important roles to make the thing work

Anything we get from Gordon, Soffer and Anthony is a plus.

Thomas must have been a hell of a student if he walked away from a very expensive and valuable education especially after paying his dues during the last year-and-a-half. Wonder what the real story is: did he think he was good based on his performance of the last six weeks?

I agree that Veer was unproductive, but he gave us minutes and energy. In that regard he was a more effective Anthony. We could use that now.

In BE play over 9 games, Thomas averaged 9 minutes, made 2 field goals going 2-11 from the floor, was 2-8 from the stripe, averaged 1 rebound and had 7 assists and 11 turnovers. IDK what happened if anything, off the court, but KW should be able to find a rotation that make up those 9 minutes and exceed that terrible production. Maybe him leaving alleves a potential locker room distraction too.

Can you imagine what our team and Willard's tenure at the hall would look like if he hadn't hired those coaches to get those players??

I mean, I guess it's actually easy to imagine, and it's scary. If ever there were a textbook case of "one of these things is not like the others," it's that class.

I hate to say it, but as long as we're stuck with Willard, I hope he's pursuing elite prospects with coaches looking to move up a level and that our current assistants maintain their LinkedIn premium subscriptions.

Halltheway, Thanks for asking. It is 2 years and 9 months since my wife passed away. It is exactly 2 years since I found out that I had lymphoma, I finished 6 months of chemo in November 2015 (15 months ago). So far I am doing alright but my type of lymphoma never goes away. I am feeling pretty good and I attend as many basketball games as I can to get my mind off of things. I attend every RU home game and several of their away games. I also attend many Linden games as I am a graduate of LHS. Congrats on your win tonight.

Thanks for your congrats on the win,knights1212. You are a class act,my prayers that you stay healthy.

Reactions: buckfoston824
I didn't want to see Singh leave, but he was missing everything and had no confidence after a while. During recruiting, he was clearly seen by most experts as Big East level talent. He made a decision to leave, and frankly that's hard to argue is on Willard. If Carter was let go because of a failure to take responsibility for his obligations, then I don't fault Willard for pulling that cord. Thomas was a risk, and that is on him though.

Wow, knights1212. All the very best thoughts and prayers to you.

Thanks to everyone. None of us knows what is in the master plan that the Lord has for us. Many people don't realize how difficult it is to lose a spouse when the two of you were so close in life. My wife was my biggest supporter in anything I ever did and she was the most caring person I ever met in my life. She meant everything to me. One thing I can say is to treasure your loved ones as things can change in an instant. Let your wife know how much she means to you and how much you appreciate her. Remember Valentine's Day is only 5 days away.

Thanks for the inspiring words Knights. Hang in there and prayers are being sent your way!!

Last edited:
Halltheway, Thanks for asking. It is 2 years and 9 months since my wife passed away. It is exactly 2 years since I found out that I had lymphoma, I finished 6 months of chemo in November 2015 (15 months ago). So far I am doing alright but my type of lymphoma never goes away. I am feeling pretty good and I attend as many basketball games as I can to get my mind off of things. I attend every RU home game and several of their away games. I also attend many Linden games as I am a graduate of LHS. Congrats on your win tonight.

From all your friends here at SHU
:):):):):):):):)

Hang in there. You were dealt a terrible hand but someday you'll be reunited with the love of your life.

Reactions: its haLL baLL
Thanks again to all. Dan, that is so true but for now there are things that I promised my wife I will still do while I am still on this earth.

Knights1212,

You've been through hell and back, always thoughts and prayers for you.

Knights! I'm terribly sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations. The very to you. Thoughts and prayers.

My prayers never stopped....stay well.

Sina
Carter
Thomas
Veer
Losing any one of them mid-season is not big deal. Losing 3 in one season is a big deal. It can be used by other teams against us, it shows how Willard recruits the wrong kids for his program, it gives SHU less players to practice against, parents of recruits see how kids leave mid season and are hesitant to send their kids to SHU. The list can go on.
Bottom line is that this is not something you see in year 7. Maybe year one or two with the old coach's problem players, not year 7 with all your own.

Reactions: chickenbox
Sina
Carter
Thomas
Veer
Losing any one of them mid-season is not big deal. Losing 3 in one season is a big deal. It can be used by other teams against us, it shows how Willard recruits the wrong kids for his program, it gives SHU less players to practice against, parents of recruits see how kids leave mid season and are hesitant to send their kids to SHU. The list can go on.
Bottom line is that this is not something you see in year 7. Maybe year one or two with the old coach's problem players, not year 7 with all your own.

I guarantee you, that no coach will be using that against us. Every coach in the country has players transferring and don't want to go down that road.

VS-playing time (happens all over the country)
MC-academics (do you think parents of player's won't like that we have a great team GPA and he holds player to a certain academic standard?)
JT- headcase (i think players will see WIDE open playing time at the pg spot for a potential tournament team and not think twice about why JT isn't there)

i can now honestly say that i like every person on our basketball team. hopefully, we can bring in more quality people and players.

1- how exactly can you guarantee that? You may believe it but can't guarantee it.
2- recruits and their families aren't going to do research on how or why 3 kids left one team mid-season. Other coaches know this. They will tell mutual recruits that SHU is so unstable that 3 kids couldn't even wait until seasons end to leave. Things are so bad that all three ran out of town and left their teammates.

I would agree with the notion that you can't control negative recruiting. On the other hand, I don't want to spend time recruiting anyone who sees themselves in three end of the bench players. Our recruits should be better than that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT