ADVERTISEMENT

NBA players boycott their games

SHUSA

All World
Jan 10, 2013
I don't see how this does anything if they're just going to reschedule the game. Whole bunch of nothing from the players. Boycott the season and take the pay hit if you care, or play and donate the game check.

At some point sports just need to be sports.

im sure this is LOTS but its basketball so ill start here.

dont see how this does anything if theyre just going to reschedule the game. whole bunch of nothing from the players. boycott the season and take the pay hit if you care. or play and donate the game check.

at some point sports just need to be sports.
Agree. Do they think the majority of population cares? The Detroit Lions walked out on their practice yesterday...what a sacrifice....smh

Maybe it doesn't solve any issues but it's something.

It keeps this shit in the news and keeps people talking about it. I don't know why it matters if they did or didn't sacrifice a paycheck, what they did/ are doing still has the same effect. AND IT IS WORKING.

whether you are complaining about it or praising them, we are talking about it and these issues are still in our minds. It's not saving anyones life but it's a lot better than having it fall out of the limelight letting people choose not to deal with it.

And yes 85, the majority of the population does care, and you really should too.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/26/milwaukee-bucks-boycott-nba-playoff-game-after-jacob-blake-shooting/

NBA postpones 3 playoff games after Bucks’ Jacob Blake boycott

By Post Sports Desk

August 26, 2020 | 4:31pm

The NBA postponed all three playoff games Wednesday after the Milwaukee Bucks boycotted their matchup with the Orlando Magic in response to Jacob Blake, a 29-year-old Black man, being shot by police Sunday in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

It now remains to be seen whether the league will resume its postseason at all.

NBA players are expected to meet Wednesday night as they attempt to figure out their next steps, according to The Athletic, after the Bucks declined to leave their locker room for their 4 p.m. first-round game with the Magic. League officials reportedly stood outside the Milwaukee locker room as Orlando players warmed up on the court. The Magic players ultimately returned to their locker room as the arena clock ticked down, and it was later reported that they would not accept a forfeit.

Within an hour of the Bucks’ boycott, the NBA announced the day’s games had been officially postponed, as the Oklahoma City Thunder, Houston Rockets, Los Angeles Laker and Portland Trail Blazers reportedly were planning to sit out their matchups.

“We’re tired of the killings and the injustice,” Bucks guard George Hill told The Undefeated.

The shooting of Blake, which was caught on video and left him paralyzed from the waist down, has sparked another wave of nationwide protests against police brutality.

Alex Lasry, the senior vice president of the Bucks, tweeted: “Some things are bigger than basketball. The stand taken today by the players and org shows that we’re fed up. Enough is enough. Change needs to happen. I’m incredibly proud of our guys and we stand 100% behind our players ready to assist and bring about real change.”

The boycott comes as NBA players have continued to speak about social and racial injustices following the killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor, among others.

Players have sported social-justice messages on their jerseys and knelt during the national anthem, while ‘Black Lives Matter’ has been emblazoned on the courts in the Disney World bubble.

Before the league restarted in July following a coronavirus-induced pause, some players, include injured Nets star Kyrie Irving, initially voiced concerns about playing inside a bubble amid the country’s reckoning on racism.

NBA players quickly took to social media to stand in solidarity with the Bucks’ decision to boycott.

“F–K THIS MAN!!!! WE DEMAND CHANGE,” LeBron James tweeted. “SICK OF IT.”

“WE DEMAND CHANGE! SALUTE @Bucks,” Utah Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell wrote on Twitter as the boycott got underway.

“WE DEMAND JUSTICE,” Denver Nuggets guard Jamal Murray tweeted.

The Toronto Raptors have been discussing a potential boycott of their semifinal opener against the Boston Celtics. Both teams, as well as NBA players association representatives spoke of bringing the focus back to social justice.

“At the end of the day, if we’re gonna sit here and talk about making change, then at some point we’re gonna have to put our nuts on the line and actually put something up to lose, rather than just money or visibility,” Raptors guard Fred VanVleet said Tuesday. “We’ve gotta take responsibility as well. Like, what are we willing to give up? Do we actually give a f— about what’s going on, or is it just cool to wear ‘Black Lives Matter’ on the backdrop, or wear a T-shirt? Like, what does that really mean? Is it really doing anything?”

The NBA refs association said it stood with the players’ decision to boycott.

“There are more important issues in our country than basketball and we hope this will inspire change,” it said in a statement.

On Tuesday, the NFL’s Detroit Lions canceled their practice to protest the shooting of Blake, which is currently being investigated by the Wisconsin Division of Criminal Investigation.

The unidentified officer who shot Blake has since been placed on leave.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/26/brewers-reds-will-not-play-in-protest-of-jacob-blake-shooting/

Brewers, Reds not playing in protest of Jacob Blake shooting

By Post Sports Desk

August 26, 2020 | 6:23pm

The Milwaukee Brewers and Cincinnati Reds agreed not to play Wednesday night in protest of Sunday’s police shooting of an unarmed Black man in Wisconsin, The Post’s Joel Sherman confirmed.

The decision came after the NBA postponed all three playoff games Wednesday in Orlando, Fla., an unprecedented move that came in response to the Milwaukee Bucks refusing to play their 4 p.m. first-round game against the Magic.

Other MLB teams are considering postponing their games Wednesday, according to reports.

Jacob Blake, 29, was left paralyzed from the waist down after being shot by Kenosha police. Witnesses said that Blake, who was shot while walking to his vehicle, had been trying to break up an argument between two women.

Before the Brewers decided to sit out their game, pitcher Josh Hader said of the Bucks’ boycott: “I think it’s a tremendous stand. This is more about sports.”

It keeps this shit in the news and keeps people talking about it. I don't know why it matters if they did or didn't sacrifice a paycheck, what they did/ are doing still has the same effect. AND IT IS WORKING.

whether you are complaining about it or praising them, we are talking about it and these issues are still in our minds. It's not saving anyones life but it's a lot better than having it fall out of the limelight letting people choose not to deal with it.

And yes 85, the majority of the population does care, and you really should too.
and when they play the game that they boycotted because they still want the paycheck, what does that say? surely that will be just as noticeable.

Show me that IT’S WORKING. Legislation was introduced and then kicked to the side of the road. Nothing has happened except for these silly displays. As much as you may not want to hear it, the majority of the population cares, but not nearly as much as a multitude of issues. If anything, the rioting is just giving Trump a more likely second term. So congratulations.

Remember all the conversations and “talking” about gun control after Parkland, Pulse and Las Vegas? BTW, the riots have pretty much ensured there will never be any gun legislation in your and my lifetime. Talk is cheap, but if it makes you feel better, I’m not going to stop you.

Show me that IT’S WORKING. Legislation was introduced and then kicked to the side of the road. Nothing has happened except for these silly displays. As much as you may not want to hear it, the majority of the population cares, but not nearly as much as a multitude of issues. If anything, the rioting is just giving Trump a more likely second term. So congratulations.

Remember all the conversations and “talking” about gun control after Parkland, Pulse and Las Vegas? BTW, the riots have pretty much ensured there will never be any gun legislation in your and my lifetime. Talk is cheap, but if it makes you feel better, I’m not going to stop you.
Again hall85, we have republican senators that care more about china, where are these same republicans speaking up to mighty mitch about why the justice in policing act hasnt been voted on?

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Again hall85, we have republican senators that care more about china, where are these same republicans speaking up to mighty mitch about why the justice in policing act hasnt been voted on?
Didn’t Tim Scott propose a police reform legislation? What happened to that? Maybe better to keep the issue alive for the election? Ya think? Politics and both sides play it...

Reactions: shu09
So they are boycotting because a criminal that had a warrant, was holding a knife, wanted for sexual assault, disobeyed lawful orders to stop, told officers he was going to the car to get a gun and then got shot. Yeah, seems like the kind of guy I would miss work for.

Always the wet blanket...i would respectfully ask for your undivided attention and listen to what these people are saying...
How should the cops have handled this? They were called to the scene for a domestic dispute. He already had a warrant, he disobeyed lawful orders to stop, he had a knife on him and he told officers he was going to his car to get a gun. Should the cops let him get a gun and get shot? Let him walk away when he had a warrant that they must enforce? Should they wait until he stabbed them with the knife? There are instances where the cops are wrong. This is not one of them.

The NBA and their players...

tenor.gif

I really don’t care what they have to say. Just like Hollywood. Their money doesn’t just give them a more important platform IMO. In fact, they come across as tone deaf by boycotting.
I am talking about wilbon, mitchell, jim jackson and chris webber

Reactions: SHUSource
How should the cops have handled this? They were called to the scene for a domestic dispute. He already had a warrant, he disobeyed lawful orders to stop, he had a knife on him and he told officers he was going to his car to get a gun. Should the cops let him get a gun and get shot? Let him walk away when he had a warrant that they must enforce? Should they wait until he stabbed them with the knife? There are instances where the cops are wrong. This is not one of them.
This gives full details now that it has been spoken about

And I noticed that you failed to answer my question. I’ll now add that they tried less than lethal force with a taser that didn’t work. I will ask again. How should the police have handled it?
they should have handled it in such a way that officer who deployed the bullets out of his gun didn't have to...Kenosha is a no body cam police department so we only have those two views the statement on the incident, they could have sought to tase him again or if they have rubber bullets deploy that...was their lives in imminent danger prior to blake walking around the front of the vehicle, two officers could have gone high/low and brought him back to the ground before he got to walk around the car...

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
And I noticed that you failed to answer my question. I’ll now add that they tried less than lethal force with a taser that didn’t work. I will ask again. How should the police have handled it?

Maybe shoot the guy in the GD foot if using your weapon is now deemed the last recourse? Shoot him once in the leg, and take him into custody. Unloading 7 shots at a guy who poses no real threat in that moment is absolutely overkill.

Maybe shoot the guy in the GD foot if using your weapon is now deemed the last recourse? Shoot him once in the leg, and take him into custody. Unloading 7 shots at a guy who poses no real threat in that moment is absolutely overkill.
police officers are not trained marksman unfortunately, they have to go for large mass areas, most cops are not good shooters but they dont have to be

Reactions: Blue Bloods
police officers are not trained marksman unfortunately, they have to go for large mass areas, most cops are not good shooters but they dont have to be

Yeah most of them are also the bottom 10% of our high school class, that doesn’t excuse this complete lack of restraint and judgment that we see in these situations constantly.

Yeah most of them are also the bottom 10% of our high school class, that doesn’t excuse this complete lack of restraint and judgment that we see in these situations constantly.

The first part of your reply is completely wrong and has nothing to do with your second part.

Last edited:
they should have handled it in such a way that officer who deployed the bullets out of his gun didn't have to...Kenosha is a no body cam police department so we only have those two views the statement on the incident, they could have sought to tase him again or if they have rubber bullets deploy that...was their lives in imminent danger prior to blake walking around the front of the vehicle, two officers could have gone high/low and brought him back to the ground before he got to walk around the car...
Unfortunately the officers on scene did not have time like you and I to analyze the situation. They had to make split second, life or death decisions. They did not have rubber bullets so that solution is out. A high/low is absolutely laughable. Would you tackle someone that had a knife? Actually look into surviving edge weapons. A person standing 21 feet away with a knife can close the distance and Stab a person before they can even get a gun out of a holster and you want to high/low him. They already tased him and it didn’t work. He then went to his car stating he was going to get a gun. They considering his actions up to this point they were and should have been in fear of their lives so the officer used legal force and shot the guy. Cops are trained to shoot until the threat is neutralized.

Is there any responsibility on the suspects part? You seem to only want to blame the police here.

I don't see how this does anything if they're just going to reschedule the game. Whole bunch of nothing from the players. Boycott the season and take the pay hit if you care, or play and donate the game check.

At some point sports just need to be sports.

Bunch of whiny babies. This is what the NBA stands for, as I've said previously. Let's hear their opinion on China. Oh....wait.

Pro sports is a becoming a total joke. Glad I'm not invested in it anymore. Just not worth my time with the political messages, virtue signaling and greed.

The first part of your reply is completely wrong and has nothing to do with your second part.

That’s not true at all. Only 8% of police departments require a college degree, and many studies show that police with higher education levels are less likely to resort to lethal force in situations that don’t require it. Better decision-making in these situations is PARAMOUNT. Police carry a deadly weapon, and knowing when to use it and when it’s not necessary is of the utmost importance. Their job requires much greater discretion than most others, and education certainly plays into that.

At a minimum, far too many in the profession have proven that the job, for them, is a power trip with the ability to play God. But when racism plays into decision-making, that has the potential to make things exponentially worse. At most of our jobs, a racist doesn’t have the ability to act on their hatred and take a life. I don’t know what the answer is other than more education, better training, and more thorough vetting of character.

Last edited:

Most people care about the economy, how they'll be able to provide for their family and other important issues.

Caring about how criminals are apprehended and micromanaging the police is way down my list. Let the police do their jobs. If you're stupid enough to resist arrest or otherwise become confrontational with an officer of the law, you can deal with the consequences.

That’s not true at all. Only 8% of police departments require a college degree, and many studies show that police with higher education levels are less likely to resort to lethal force in situations that don’t require it. Better decision-making in these situations is PARAMOUNT. Police carry a deadly weapon, and knowing when to use it and when it’s not necessary is of the utmost importance. Their job requires much greater discretion than most others, and education certainly plays into that.

At a minimum, far too many in the profession have proven that the job, for them, is a power trip with the ability to play God. But when racism plays into decision-making, that has the potential to make things exponentially worse. At most of our jobs, a racist doesn’t have the ability to act on their hatred and take a life. I don’t know what the answer is other than more education and better training.

Why do you have to have a college degree? Plenty of great and smart people in the world without degrees.

Nothing taught to you in a college class teaches you "discretion" or how to utilize a weapon in a life or death situation. It is all instinct and training.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
Why do you have to have a college degree? Plenty of great and smart people in the world without degrees.

Nothing taught to you in a college class teaches you "discretion" or how to utilize a weapon in a life or death situation. It is all instinct and training.

Yeah, there are successful people without college degrees. Better education has proven to result in better critical thinking skills and judgment when making decisions on how to act, and that is certainly important when you carry a deadly weapon around. It’s not a second d*ck. It does not give you carte blanche to play God. Police need to be the BEST among us, and far too often that has proven to be the opposite of the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT