ADVERTISEMENT

NBA players boycott their games

That’s not true at all. Only 8% of police departments require a college degree, and many studies show that police with higher education levels are less likely to resort to lethal force in situations that don’t require it. Better decision-making in these situations is PARAMOUNT. Police carry a deadly weapon, and knowing when to use it and when it’s not necessary is of the utmost importance. Their job requires much greater discretion than most others, and education certainly plays into that.

At a minimum, far too many in the profession have proven that the job, for them, is a power trip with the ability to play God. But when racism plays into decision-making, that has the potential to make things exponentially worse. At most of our jobs, a racist doesn’t have the ability to act on their hatred and take a life. I don’t know what the answer is other than more education, better training, and more thorough vetting of character.

How many require a degree and the number of cops with degrees is completely different and I have no idea what you are citing anyway.

Most studies I’ve seen show it the figure to be between 30% and 50% so to have “most of them are also the bottom 10% of our high school class” is nowhere near accurate.

decision making is based on experience, not degrees. Look at any example of journalists or politicians going into simulations. They always make the wrong decision.

Your close minded view of police is part of the problem. My dad was a cop and a damned good one, just like all the men around him I grew up with. They will all say that reform and additional training is a good thing. 99.9% of cops want to do their job, make their communities better and get home to their families. To say most of them are among the dumbest of society is insulting and an outright lie.

How many require a degree and the number of cops with degrees is completely different and I have no idea what you are citing anyway.

Most studies I’ve seen show it the figure to be between 30% and 50% so to have “most of them are also the bottom 10% of our high school class” is nowhere near accurate.

decision making is based on experience, not degrees. Look at any example of journalists or politicians going into simulations. They always make the wrong decision.

Your close minded view of police is part of the problem. My dad was a cop and a damned good one, just like all the men around him I grew up with. They will all say that reform and additional training and education is a good thing. 99.9% of cops want to do their job, make their communities better and get home to their families. To say most of them are among the dumbest of society is insulting and an outright lie.

The number of these situations that occur regularly, which is an exponentially greater number than those caught on camera, proves that your 99.9% number is simply not true. There are a much greater number of racists, and white supremacists, among them than .1%. They all need to be weeded out. But law enforcement as a whole exists in an insulated bubble, and holding themselves accountable has not proven realistic.

The number of these situations that occur regularly, which is an exponentially greater number than those caught on camera, proves that your 99.9% number is simply not true. There are a much greater number of racists, and white supremacists, among them than .1%. They all need to be weeded out. But law enforcement as a whole exists in an insulated bubble, and holding themselves accountable has not proven realistic.

These situations do not occur regularly. You only think they do because the media amplifies the rare occurrences when it does happen. Of those, the police are justified in most.

Last edited:
I’m not at all closed-minded about cops. But I do see a need for change for the better. More positive community involvement and outreach which has paid dividends in some communities in recent years. I’ve known many in my life as well, many good, honorable ones. I’ve also known many who wanted to carry a gun and intimidate people. Your dad was a “damned good one,” that’s great. But they do need to be held to a higher standard in many ways than the average profession, and I think there is a long way to go to gain back the trust of many people. Or not, depending on how you look at it. It should be fairly easy to not kill unarmed people who pose no threat. Not only is it happening too often in this country, there are far too many condoning it. It’s not okay, you’re not protecting and serving anyone when you snuff out a life unnecessarily.

These situations do not occur regularly. You on'y think they do because the media amplifies the rare occurrences when it does happen. Of those, the police are justified in most.

Now you said that with a straight face? I don’t have a response for that, and I’m honestly just shocked that you haven’t worked your distaste for football or your disdain for the pesky common cold floating around into the conversation yet.

Now you said that with a straight face? I don’t have a response for that, and I’m honestly just shocked that you haven’t worked your distaste for football or your disdain for the pesky common cold floating around into the conversation yet.

I deal in the world of facts, not in the world of hysteria, divisiveness, misinformation and agendas.

Reactions: SHUMatt
Why can’t we recognize there is a problem that needs to be fixed without calling all cops racist or questioning the motives or education of all cops as a group?

This isn’t something where people need to take sides if it is approached rationally. Most cops are good and want to do their job to the best of their abilities. Most cops are in favor of ongoing training and reforms. It’s when people think that thsoe supporting cops and those supporting reform are on different sides that we end up with polarizing arguments that result in no real changes being made.

Unfortunately the officers on scene did not have time like you and I to analyze the situation. They had to make split second, life or death decisions. They did not have rubber bullets so that solution is out. A high/low is absolutely laughable. Would you tackle someone that had a knife? Actually look into surviving edge weapons. A person standing 21 feet away with a knife can close the distance and Stab a person before they can even get a gun out of a holster and you want to high/low him. They already tased him and it didn’t work. He then went to his car stating he was going to get a gun. They considering his actions up to this point they were and should have been in fear of their lives so the officer used legal force and shot the guy. Cops are trained to shoot until the threat is neutralized.

Is there any responsibility on the suspects part? You seem to only want to blame the police here.

do you have a link where the victim said he was going to get a gun? Not saying you’re lying but I’ve not seen that anywhere.

So they are boycotting because a criminal that had a warrant, was holding a knife, wanted for sexual assault, disobeyed lawful orders to stop, told officers he was going to the car to get a gun and then got shot. Yeah, seems like the kind of guy I would miss work for.
if they stop glorifying these criminals more of the conversation would focus on the police. i think the cops move was really bad , but saying "justice" for a criminal makes the whole movement look invalid.

These situations do not occur regularly. You only think they do because the media amplifies the rare occurrences when it does happen. Of those, the police are justified in most.
im more on your side with this whole topic in general but i think its clear that while these situations may not occur regularly, they occur far too often.

This has now morphed to a LOTS thread.

I will allow it to continue here for a short while so those that want to continue to post know it has been transferred.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/26/lebron-james-lakers-clippers-may-want-to-boycott-rest-of-nba-playoffs/

LeBron James’ Lakers, Clippers push for boycotting rest of NBA playoffs

By Ted Holmlund

August 26, 2020 | 11:29pm |

MORE ON:
NBA

Biden offers support for Milwaukee Bucks following boycott of playoff game

NHL stars upset with league's response to Jacob Blake shooting

WNBA follows NBA lead and postpones its games

Sports' unprecedented Jacob Blake protest speaks volumes

The Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers are in favor of boycotting the rest of the NBA postseason, according to multiple reports.

They were the only teams to oppose finishing the season during a passionate meeting held Wednesday night. The informal vote, according to ESPN, came after the NBA postponed all three games that day following a boycott from the Bucks that was held in response to the Jacob Blake shooting 45 minutes away from Milwaukee.

LeBron James walked out of the meeting, and the rest of Lakers and Clippers exited behind him, according to the Athletic.

Sources told the Athletic that Miami Heat veteran Udonis Haslem spoke in the meeting and essentially told everyone in room that — without Lakers and Clippers, two of the NBA’s top teams, how will season continue?

A formal vote is expected to take place in the coming days, as Thursday’s game likely will also be postponed. The players will meet again Thursday morning at 11 AM.

“Everyone is still too emotional,” one high-ranking source told ESPN. “There needs to be more time to come together on this.”

Will players expect to continue to be paid if the boycott continues? Or if season concludes?

The way some people on here speak about victims is pure insanity. Criminal or not, nobody deserves what happened to Jacob Blake.

Citizens need to comply with police so that situations like this aren’t escalated to the place that it went to. But it’s also hard to put your trust into police organizations that refuse to use body cams and don’t release the names of the officers involved.

Trust needs to be built up between the African American community and law enforcement. It seems almost impossible to do right now. But the only way that these situations can be avoided in the future is to build trust and increase training and reform the way that these situations are approached.

When you are dealing with a society of over 400 million people, yes these situations do occur regularly. You know what else occurs regularly? Human Trafficking. Drug Overdoses. Rape. Violent Assault. The point is pretty much every good and bad scenario you can think of will happen regularly when you have a sample size that large. The problem is you are associating what is portrayed on the news or in social media as if it applies to the whole and it statistically just does not.

Reactions: HALL85 and shu09
The way some people on here speak about victims is pure insanity. Criminal or not, nobody deserves what happened to Jacob Blake.

Citizens need to comply with police so that situations like this aren’t escalated to the place that it went to. But it’s also hard to put your trust into police organizations that refuse to use body cams and don’t release the names of the officers involved.

Trust needs to be built up between the African American community and law enforcement. It seems almost impossible to do right now. But the only way that these situations can be avoided in the future is to build trust and increase training and reform the way that these situations are approached.

A good place to start would be teaching that community to obey the commands of officers when they find themselves in a situation with law enforcement. Listen, do as instructed and do not resist. Is that really too difficult?

Body cameras are a relatively new thing. Not every department has them. And this officer's name has been released.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0

Body cams are a great tool but very expensive. Not only for the equipment but for the upkeep and maintenance. Additionally many of the minority groups are apposing bod cams. More officers have been vindicated with the use of body cams. There have also been a lot of arrests for false claims against law enforcement since body cams came into use.

Your point on criminals to stop resisting is spot on.

Reactions: SPK145 and shu09
Body cams are a great tool but very expensive. Not only for the equipment but for the upkeep and maintenance. Additionally many of the minority groups are apposing bod cams. More officers have been vindicated with the use of body cams. There have also been a lot of arrests for false claims against law enforcement since body cams came into use.

Your point on criminals to stop resisting is spot on.
are they expensive? in 2020? millions of people have similar home/dash cams. doesnt seem too expensive. electronic devices typically require almost no upkeep.

A good place to start would be teaching that community to obey the commands of officers when they find themselves in a situation with law enforcement. Listen, do as instructed and do not resist. Is that really too difficult?

Body cameras are a relatively new thing. Not every department has them. And this officer's name has been released.

That's right our citizens need to listen or we will shoot them 7 times in the back and so they won't ever walk away from us again or feel anything below their waste for the rest of their lives.

Law and order must be kept
/s

When you are dealing with a society of over 400 million people, yes these situations do occur regularly. You know what else occurs regularly? Human Trafficking. Drug Overdoses. Rape. Violent Assault. The point is pretty much every good and bad scenario you can think of will happen regularly when you have a sample size that large. The problem is you are associating what is portrayed on the news or in social media as if it applies to the whole and it statistically just does not.
none of those things are brought to you by people who are deemed honorable, have unlimited power, and expected to not only enforce the law but uphold it themselves.

and as i said before, its not about it being regular, its about it happening too often. people refuse to acknowledge the role police play in society on both sides of the good/bad coin. one video is equal to a hundres videos of a criminal in the eyes of the public. its not totally invalid.

Last edited:
That's right our citizens need to listen or we will shoot them 7 times in the back and so they won't ever walk away from us again or feel anything below their waste for the rest of their lives.

Law and order must be kept
/s

Bottom line, if he obeys their commands and doesn't threaten them, he is not in the hospital today.

Where was labron when the 5 year old white kid got shot in the back of the head last week? He is nothing but a racist crybaby.

A 5 year old who never had a chance to make decisions for his life. These asshats who are being glorified for criminal acts have made plenty of bad choices, resisting arrest being the latest in a long line. Honestly I hope the NBA goes away, who needs to listen to these entitled idiots who can't spell cat if you spotted them the c and a lecture hard working Americans on why they are so racist.

A 5 year old who never had a chance to make decisions for his life. These asshats who are being glorified for criminal acts have made plenty of bad choices, resisting arrest being the latest in a long line. Honestly I hope the NBA goes away, who needs to listen to these entitled idiots who can't spell cat if you spotted them the c and a lecture hard working Americans on why they are so racist.
I have no problem if you do not like the NBA and their handling of these matters, but is there a need to insult them by saying they can't spell "cat"? It's just mean-spirited, and simply does not acknowledge that many of these players are smart individuals.

I have no problem if you do not like the NBA and their handling of these matters, but is there a need to insult them by saying they can't spell "cat"? It's just mean-spirited, and simply does not acknowledge that many of these players are smart individuals.

Is there the need to insult half of America by calling them racists for who they vote for or not disagreeing with a decisive message being peddled?

It was the cat comment that put you over the edge? Lol

Reactions: shu09
none of those things are brought to you by people who are deemed honorable, have unlimited power, and expected to not only enforce the law but uphold it themselves.

and as i said before, its not about it being regular, its about it happening too often. people refuse to acknowledge the role police play in society on both sides of the food/bad coin. one video is equal to a hundres videos of a criminal in the eyes of the public. its not totally invalid.

It's a fair point, but still subjective. How do we determine what is "too often" though? Coming from the heart, even 1 incident is too many. However, the data I've read seems to indicate that unarmed black deaths by the hands of the police each year is an extremely, extremely low percentage of overall black deaths. Certainly far lower than the current climate would have you believe. So what exactly do we do to fix it? The same people who are saying "Defund the Police" and "F the Police" are the same ones crying for the police when counter-protestors are going after them. That tells me that everyone still wants the police around. Now what?

And on the same token, the anecdote you provided about one video equaling a hundred works in both directions. For every one video that the average citizen sees of some protestor being violent, hurting people, stealing, looting, etc...that citizen will assume 100 more incidents happened just like it. Completely negates the positive message trying to be conveyed.

What do we do as people?

i disagree. a good place to start is a rehaul of the training and leadership on the police force. people will follow rules when they have trust. unfortunately there is good reason for people to feel untrustworthy towards the police. some feel they have motives, some feel they are dumb, some feel they get off on power. there have been too many examples where all of those are true. maybe not regular but too many examples.

when people start thinking about what all could go wrong at a police stop they act erratic. some probably think that not complying is better. the point is they have doubt. people will follow rules when they respect the ones enforcing the rules.

personally i am not in the camp to cance the police, and find it absurd its even a thing. but i also see how there is a big problem with training, recruiting, accountability. is the plan for non compliance to empty a clip? do they know what bullets do? do they know to tend to someones life instead of just continue arrest when they are bleeding out on the ground? the vast majority do, but way too many dont. is there a problem with racially motivated actions towards the population? absolutely (police should be non biased). is there a problem with the force attracting power hungry individuals that abuse those powers? absolutely. is there a problem with the amount of training it takes to get a badge? absolutely. is there a problem with accountabilitt? absolutely.

its hard to be a police. i respect those that sign up, more so in the inner cities. less so those in alpine nj. but with the badge comes even more responsibility to do the right thing for every situation. its tough, but its what they sign up for. id wager that too many cops sign up without understanding that. that they have to damn near be perfect.

maybe the solution is to take a look at how international police train their squads. or how they vet/attract potential candidate.

in the end i will side with the cops over criminals. but it doesnt mean they cant see this as a chance to improve.

Last edited:
It's a fair point, but still subjective. How do we determine what is "too often" though? Coming from the heart, even 1 incident is too many. However, the data I've read seems to indicate that unarmed black deaths by the hands of the police each year is an extremely, extremely low percentage of overall black deaths. Certainly far lower than the current climate would have you believe. So what exactly do we do to fix it? The same people who are saying "Defund the Police" and "F the Police" are the same ones crying for the police when counter-protestors are going after them. That tells me that everyone still wants the police around. Now what?

And on the same token, the anecdote you provided about one video equaling a hundred works in both directions. For every one video that the average citizen sees of some protestor being violent, hurting people, stealing, looting, etc...that citizen will assume 100 more incidents happened just like it. Completely negates the positive message trying to be conveyed.

What do we do as people?
we realize the arguments against the police, and against the citizen are valid. the issue is that people are prioritizing the importance of one over the other. because that creates division and division keeps people from realizing the real issue today is the rich vs the rest.

how simple would it be to say both parties are valid lets address it both at the same time. but division is what america was built for.

we realize the arguments against the police, and against the citizen are valid. the issue is that people are prioritizing the importance of one over the other. because that creates division and division keeps people from realizing the real issue today is the rich vs the rest.

how simple would it be to say both parties are valid lets address it both at the same time. but division is what america was built for.
Unfortunately the people with the loudest voices are the ones that want to keep the issue alive for their own gain rather than solve it. US Senator Tim Scott (who is black), Introduced police reform legislation several weeks ago, and instead of sitting down to discuss it, it was immediately dismissed. Why? Politics of course. You don’t really hear a lot of discussion about potential solutions and how to get them implemented. Why is that?

Policing is also a local issue, and if you think the 20,000 police forces in our country have the same systemic issues, you are sadly mistaken.

Reactions: Section112
Is there the need to insult half of America by calling them racists for who they vote for or not disagreeing with a decisive message being peddled?

It was the cat comment that put you over the edge? Lol
No, but that "little" comment is why we can't have civil discourse on these issues. We disagree with a viewpoint, and then put down the person as stupid on top of it. It's okay to disagree, but the put downs are what really drive people apart.

Again, and this is just my opinion, I think most parties do say that and do feel that way. I think, in my opinion, the media has created an agenda to create the illusion that this isn't true. They show us things to make us think irrationally and force us to pick sides. And unfortunately there are too many idiots that lap it up.

How many times have I actually seen or read of specific, real human beings tell others that if they support police they don't support black lives? Or if you don't take a knee for the flag you don't care about black people? Or if you do take a knee for the flag you are Anti-America? Or if you support BLM you are immediately anti police?

I think your heart is in the right place, as do I think mine is too. Don't let it get twisted that the majority of people's in this country are not. We've let narratives and obfuscation hurt our neighbors, or friendships, made us feel guilty for no reason, and elect our politicians for us. It has to stop. We live on sound bytes and rhetoric now as our mantra.

I value black lives deeply, as I do all others as well. I also value police officers and our government and the difficulties and stresses that both face. What I don't value is fascism and socialism, and there's too much of both going around lately. Very interesting times when they force you to support both in the name of justice.

Reactions: shu09 and HALL85
Boycotting games does nothing to solve the problem. Players can raise awareness and demand change all they want, but once again the rich and powerful professional athletes call on others to initiate the change instead of doing it themselves. If the players wanted to make a difference, they should be setting up conversations with leaders in their cities and police, reaching out to the community to help educate, and using their connections to effectuate change. Instead they do another show of vanity (just like kneeling) and pass the buck to someone else to make things happen.
Many of these athletes stay silent about Nike’s child labor and the NBA/China issue as well. They call out others for not participating in their protest, but failed to even care about issues that conflicted with whose paying them.

I applaud their passion to fix race issues, but they are completely misguided and self centered in how they are going about it. That, unfortunate, is why things won’t really change. The rich and powerful focus on vanity rather than directly working to fix issues.

Reactions: HALL85 and shu09
Yet again, Conner Hinnant makes an appearance. Last I checked, he wasn’t shot by a police office and the POS is in custody and will likely go away forever with a first degree murder conviction.

Can we stop with the false analogies?

Again, and this is just my opinion, I think most parties do say that and do feel that way. I think, in my opinion, the media has created an agenda to create the illusion that this isn't true. They show us things to make us think irrationally and force us to pick sides. And unfortunately there are too many idiots that lap it up.

How many times have I actually seen or read of specific, real human beings tell others that if they support police they don't support black lives? Or if you don't take a knee for the flag you don't care about black people? Or if you do take a knee for the flag you are Anti-America? Or if you support BLM you are immediately anti police?

I think your heart is in the right place, as do I think mine is too. Don't let it get twisted that the majority of people's in this country are not. We've let narratives and obfuscation hurt our neighbors, or friendships, made us feel guilty for no reason, and elect our politicians for us. It has to stop. We live on sound bytes and rhetoric now as our mantra.

I value black lives deeply, as I do all others as well. I also value police officers and our government and the difficulties and stresses that both face. What I don't value is fascism and socialism, and there's too much of both going around lately. Very interesting times when they force you to support both in the name of justice.

The media is largely a PSYOP these days. Notice how many outlets display the picture of Mr. Blake with his children in articles about the case. The goal is to pull at your emotions, when this has nothing to do with the case.

This happens with most stories these days. The goal is not to present you with the facts. The goal of the media is to persuade you to believe a certain narrative or side of an issue.

Reactions: HALL85
Boycotting the playoffs will do absolutely nothing to address the root cause of the issues these players want to use their platforms to help make better. I don’t understand why they think it will. We had an African American President for 8 years.

Frankly they are accomplishing more by playing and providing a society that loves sports entertainment with an outlet to watch live events when most everyone is still stuck in the COVID malaise.

Yet again, Conner Hinnant makes an appearance. Last I checked, he wasn’t shot by a police office and the POS is in custody and will likely go away forever with a first degree murder conviction.

Can we stop with the false analogies?
If they actually cared a thing for that poor little guy they wouldn't commodify and reduce him to a red herring in an argument that is actually about police brutality and systemic racism and nothing whatsoever to do with his horrendous circumstances. But, you know...

If they actually cared a thing for that poor little guy they wouldn't commodify and reduce him to a red herring in an argument that is actually about police brutality and systemic racism and nothing whatsoever to do with his horrendous circumstances. But, you know...

This is the worst post you've ever made on this board. Shame on you. You've proven to be better than this over the years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT