ADVERTISEMENT

"No Federal Solution"

Pirata

All American
Dec 21, 2009
He will probably get lambasted in the media but I prefer that the federal government get out of the covid-19 business.

Leave it to the states. Get involved when the economy is scale of the federal government might help. Eliminate obstacles and regulations when possible.

He's right. Problem is, he's now a hypocrite.

Not really.
It was in context of Governor Hutchinson saying he doesn’t want a federal solution to get in the way of state solutions and Biden basically said we won’t get in your way.

Last week the CDC said it was 73%. Now it's 59%. They have zero credibility.

Their site literally says it is the last two weeks are modeled projections and may change with more data and they report a range. As they got more data, they updated the number.

Not sure why you think that changes their credibility at all. That is exactly what they should be doing.

Nope, they're liars just like most of those in power. Also shows that you can't rely on models.

Nope, they're liars just like most of those in power. Also shows that you can't rely on models.

What do they have to gain by lying and their estimate by 14%?

Their model shows a range right now. Just because you don't understand what they are saying, that doesn't mean they are lying to you. They show a 95% confidence interval that between 41% and 74% of cases now will be Omniron. That is a gigantic spread because they need more data.

What do they have to gain by lying and their estimate by 14%?

Their model shows a range right now. Just because you don't understand what they are saying, that doesn't mean they are lying to you. They show a 95% confidence interval that between 41% and 74% of cases now will be Omniron. That is a gigantic spread because they need more data.
I agree that they have no reason to lie. As I mentioned when Omicron first was detected; this would take some time before we really understood the impact of this variant. It was not a two/three week answer.

I agree that they have no reason to lie. As I mentioned when Omicron first was detected; this would take some time before we really understood the impact of this variant. It was not a two/three week answer.

You don't think we have seen enough from South Africa and the UK to state that Omnicron will not be worse than previous variants in the US?

You don't think we have seen enough from South Africa and the UK to state that Omnicron will not be worse than previous variants in the US?
No I don't because we really don't even know the extent that people here are infected with it.

Reactions: SHUMA04
No I don't because we really don't even know the extent that people here are infected with it.

That doesn't make any sense. If it becomes the predominant strain in the US (which it either has become or will become soon) will it be worse than previous waves? I think the data looks fairly clear that it will not be as bad as previous waves and we can point to both a lower vaccinated area (South Africa) and highly vaccinated area (UK) for evidence of that.

Not really when looking at it by population.

Looking at county level data, the highest hospitalization rates right now are primarily in areas with lower vaccination rates.
You would assume the number of beds in a state are comparable as a percent of the population to other states, so not sure what you mean by that.

You would assume the number of beds in a state are comparable as a percent of the population to other states, so not sure what you mean by that.

I mean exactly that. Look at hospitalizations as a percentage of the entire population.
Generally, areas with lower vaccination rates have higher hospitalization rates.

I mean exactly that. Look at hospitalizations as a percentage of the entire population.
Generally, areas with lower vaccination rates have higher hospitalization rates.
OK, got it...but still doesn't explain why these states are spiking now. You would think if they were highly vaccinated that wouldn't be the case.

Will Seton Hall University go ahead with the Villanova game on January 1st with fans in the building (15,000?). If fans are allowed, would it be safe to assume thar having fans at this game will promote the spread of the virus? Will the university want to do what's best for the greater community?

Last edited:
OK, got it...but still doesn't explain why these states are spiking now. You would think if they were highly vaccinated that wouldn't be the case.

I’d think that’s just a matter of when it is spreading and being more contagious it is impacting more people than previous waves so it’s hitting a large group quickly instead of over time.

Being highly vaccinated, their rate of hospitalizations is lower than it would have been if the rates were lower.

I’d think that’s just a matter of when it is spreading and being more contagious it is impacting more people than previous waves so it’s hitting a large group quickly instead of over time.

Being highly vaccinated, their rate of hospitalizations is lower than it would have been if the rates were lower.
But it’s still spiking compared to historical data. Does this mean more vaccinated patients are being hospitalized. Kind of ties to the anecdotal information I got earlier.

But it’s still spiking compared to historical data. Does this mean more vaccinated patients are being hospitalized. Kind of ties to the anecdotal information I got earlier.
So far, doesn’t seem to be the case.

Reactions: cernjSHU
it means more unvaccinated patients are being hospitalized at a much higher rate. did seton hall give you and shu09 a degree?? hope yall have analysts at your companies.

its really not that hard.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
it means more unvaccinated patients are being hospitalized at a much higher rate. did seton hall give you and shu09 a degree?? hope yall have analysts at your companies.

its really not that hard.
What do the graphs look like for hospitalizations based on blood type, body fat %, race, sex, etc? It’s what’s behind the numbers that matter. Heck you can find out the vaccines work better than those charts suggest. You might walk out of there saying blood type makes someone more susceptible than vaccine status. I don’t know. Seems too simple minded to look at one chart and draw conclusion on 330+ million people. Maybe it’s that easy.

What do the graphs look like for hospitalizations based on blood type, body fat %, race, sex, etc? It’s what’s behind the numbers that matter. Heck you can find out the vaccines work better than those charts suggest. You might walk out of there saying blood type makes someone more susceptible than vaccine status. I don’t know. Seems too simple minded to look at one chart and draw conclusion on 330+ million people. Maybe it’s that easy.

It is that easy. Vaccines are very effective at keeping people out of the hospital. That’s what the controlled studies showed, and that’s how it has played out since they became available.

Interestingly enough there was some early studies being done that showed people with Type A blood were more at risk of contracting COVID and Type O much less at risk. Here is a study that directionally says that, but it doesn't get into hospitalizations and deaths.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8286549/

I think it's safe to say, overall, vaccines improve your chances of being hospitalized or dying, but there are other factors that also have a comparable impact (for instance, the four comorbidities account for 93% of COVID deaths.). I also haven't seen any studies reflecting the speed at which COVID was diagnosed and how quickly the patient was triaged and treated. Many people could have avoided hospitalization, just by seeking help the minute they were symptomatic. It's not a stretch to think that people who do not address critical comorbidities would also be more lax about having symptoms treated early on.

There is a lot of data that would be helpful to keep people safe well beyond just vaccinations. It's a shame that this has not really been promoted that much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT