ADVERTISEMENT

OT: St. John’s

This is why every major D-1 program needs resources focused on monitoring Transfer portal for talent. Probably just as critical as HS recruiting is/was.

Two more St. John’s players enter transfer portal in mass exodus​

By Zach Braziller

The expectations that transfers will not have to sit out next year has led to upheaval across the sport. It’s hit St. John’s as hard as any program.

On Wednesday, two rotation players — Greg Williams Jr. and Marcellus Earlington — entered the transfer portal, joining Josh Roberts, John McGriff, Vince Cole and Isaih Moore. Star sophomore Julian Champagnie has already announced his intentions to test the NBA Draft waters while maintaining his college eligibility.

According to sources, Williams and Earlington had been on the fence about transferring, and ultimately decided to at least explore their options on Wednesday. Both wrote in Instagram posts they wanted to enter the portal to see what else is out there.

Their likely departure would end any connection to the Chris Mullin era. Williams, the team’s third-leading scorer, was seen as a key part of the core, although chronic back problems had slowed his development. Earlington was used as a small-ball stretch forward, but sees his natural position as on the wing.

There was some jealousy with some of the players who left over the credit that was given to the New York players like Champagnie, Dylan Addae-Wusu, Rasheem Dunn and Posh Alexander, sources said.

St. John’s did recently add a transfer, landing Vermont guard Stef Smith, and is involved with several different players in the transfer portal, according to sources. Louisville forward Aidan Igiehon, who played locally on Long Island, is considering the Queens school.

Did I not say for nearly a year now that this new rule would be a disaster for college BB?

And what we're seeing is just the tip of the iceberg.
its blown up much quicker than i thought. i thibk covid experience accelrated it.

my god. ncaa might have to reverse course. this is crazy.

Talk about opening a can of worms !!
tSnR52d.jpg

Swider surprises me because he had a role and Jay usually keeps kids that buy into roles. So unless he was being completely recruited over, I don't get it.

The other kids that left SJU didn't surprise me. Williams and Earlington do. They did well under Anderson and had roles.

Reactions: BabyBlue
Did I not say for nearly a year now that this new rule would be a disaster for college BB?

Still don't see how this is a disaster. This year is likely to be the worst.

You have 4 classes worth of players eligible to transfer instead of 3 normal. It's also the first year of known free transfers so any one of those players unhappy is taking that opportunity to leave. In future years not every players will be having their first opportunity to transfer at once.

I’m not sure if the NCAA wants it....but what can they do with Congress and the courts starting to sniff around?

Last edited:
Just read a stat. 74 teams have at least 5 transfers each right now, and there is likely plenty more to come. Think about that -- 74 teams.

Reactions: LBP43
Yeah you cannot go by this year, you have all seniors that have another year, plus juniors who don’t normally transfer will now have two years and get a lot more interest.

What will be interesting is if it is perceived that some kids do not find a good fit, will it make future kids more hesitant to enter the portal.

I guess this means earlington doesn't go 5 for 6 from 3 on us next yr. I am surprised at Anderson losing players for some reason. Thought that season would make the guys feel good

I guess this means earlington doesn't go 5 for 6 from 3 on us next yr. I am surprised at Anderson losing players for some reason. Thought that season would make the guys feel good
This is the surprising thing from my perspective. The guy won COY. The team received enormous local press. Maybe there was something to kids not liking all the discussion about the NYC kids, but I read the post everyday and the Williams kid got plenty of ink for a player who was hurt part of the time and wasn't a star. I know people who know Earlington from his Bosco days and have a number of Bosco connections. All they've done is rave about Anderson and how he's developed Earlington from a football player who looked like he couldn't dribble the ball under Mullin in year 1 to a legitimate BE contributor by year 3.

Maybe this offseason is a sign of the times, amplified by the COVID scenario. 74 teams, and counting, with at least 5 transfers. Staggering. Maybe the most important trait a HC/staff is going to have proceeding forward is the ability to recruit the transfer portal and build a new team each year.

Teams are going to struggle to get all the new players they’re adding to learn the way their coach wants them to play. Can you imagine trying to intergrate five transfers plus two or three incoming freshman just getting to know how each other plays and add to that influx of newcomers a couple of graduating seniors returning for an extra year and the returning underclassmen. Then try to get minutes to keep everyone happy. The word continuity may be missing from a lot of programs this upcoming season.

I said in another thread that the COVID-situation is like pouring gas on a small but growing fire when it comes to this transfer stuff. So I do think it will be less hectic going forward. But I also think the FA model is here to stay to some extent, even more prominent than other years. I hope with normalcy next year -- god willing -- the offseason activity cools down some. As interesting as it is as a fan of the Hall to see how we might upgrade talent, to dream on getting certain kids who shunned us or would have shunned us out of HS but might be good performers, to keep the message board more active than a typical offseason, it is not great for the overall sport.

Teams are going to struggle to get all the new players they’re adding to learn the way their coach wants them to play. Can you imagine trying to intergrate five transfers plus two or three incoming freshman just getting to know how each other plays and add to that influx of newcomers a couple of graduating seniors returning for an extra year and the returning underclassmen. Then try to get minutes to keep everyone happy. The word continuity may be missing from a lot of programs this upcoming season.
And is it going to impact how teams decide to play. Are you better off going with a smaller rotation than normal to make sure your "top" players are content, ensuring that others that have ability and aren't getting enough burn will likely be elsewhere? Or if you play like a Huggins or Anderson, going deeper into the bench because of the style of play, do you risk kids still not being happy because of how minutes are distributed among a broader pool of players? I mean St. John's probably went deeper into its bench more consistently than anyone in our league, and kids are still leaving.

Gotta wonder if being cooped up in their dorms with the other players may have caused some personal issues with these kids getting tired of each other and wanting out?

Just to clarify as well - they can only transfer one-time during their years of eligibility without having to sit out correct? If true which I think it is then things should definitely settle down next year hopefully.

With now 1106 transfers if every one of the 350 D-1 programs gave out its full 13 ships transfers would account for . 243% of the 4550 total ships in the D-1 programs. If this trend continues and changes not made you’re going to see schools save ships to add an experienced transfer or two or three especially if it fills a priority need and that translates into less HS players . Just look at this years SH squad with four transfers in Ike, Molson , Jackson and Aiken or 33% of their 12 man roster. Now is that a definitive shift in recruiting strategy by Willard or a reflection of our not signing enough of our priority HS recruits.

Last edited:
Gotta wonder if being cooped up in their dorms with the other players may have caused some personal issues with these kids getting tired of each other and wanting out?

Just to clarify as well - they can only transfer one-time during their years of eligibility without having to sit out correct? If true which I think it is then things should definitely settle down next year hopefully.
haha with covid in general wonder if all these kids go to socal or arizona etc

357 teams played D1 hoops this season. We’re already up to what, 1,100 in the portal? Insane.

What happens when teams land all of their transfers and freshmen want out of their NLI because they're likely to be behind someone for 2 or 3 years? More chaos to come.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and HallX2
"Teams are going to struggle to get all the new players they’re adding to learn the way their coach wants them to play."

This is the exact reason why letting Cale take the extra year would be a no brainer in my humble opinion.

You have been saying this for over a year.

I would say seton hall upgraded in a major major way with this rule. Don’t ya think?

Reactions: Section112
Still don't see how this is a disaster. This year is likely to be the worst.

You have 4 classes worth of players eligible to transfer instead of 3 normal. It's also the first year of known free transfers so any one of those players unhappy is taking that opportunity to leave. In future years not every players will be having their first opportunity to transfer at once.
Tip of the iceberg because moving forward this season we are going to see more and more players in the portal. Shattering whatever the previous mark was.

Then maybe the following season the numbers will go down a bit but the strategic poaching will be more refined and much worse.

Don't think for one second there are not tons and tons of people/handlers, whatever you want to call them, not in the ears of a good portion of these players.

Swider surprises me because he had a role and Jay usually keeps kids that buy into roles. So unless he was being completely recruited over, I don't get it.

The other kids that left SJU didn't surprise me. Williams and Earlington do. They did well under Anderson and had roles.
Have to remember.....nearly every kid thinks he should be in the NBA. So while Earlington had a role, he thinks he should be playing SF 30 minutes a game getting 18 shots per game, not backup PF playing 16 minutes per game.

Also some of the St Johns transfers were left over Mullin recruits.

I would expect this to be a significant one-year outlier and true auction of sorts. Total Free Agency.

The transfer trend had already changed forever as @hallgrad80 has pointed out this evolution so well in recent years.

Tip of the iceberg because moving forward this season we are going to see more and more players in the portal. Shattering whatever the previous mark was.

Then maybe the following season the numbers will go down a bit but the strategic poaching will be more refined and much worse.

Don't think for one second there are not tons and tons of people/handlers, whatever you want to call them, not in the ears of a good portion of these players.
they will basically cash in on recruiting twice

Reactions: Piratz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT