ADVERTISEMENT

Posh Alexander

Did you all see the national press that Ewing and Georgetown got for winning the BE tournament? Most talked about team in college basketball for 4 days. Big East needs Georgetown to get back to where it was 6 years ago and be a perennial top 25 team. You pair that with UConn and Nova and what looks to be a perennial challenger in Seton Hall, a Marquette program with Shake, and X and that’s a conference with 6 very marketable brands. Crieghton would be included in that convo but they’ve decided to fall on their sword by sticking with McDermott. Next year the conference should be really good. I see Nova, UConn, Hall being the top 3 with Georgetown/X/Providence making up the next tier.

Did you all see the national press that Ewing and Georgetown got for winning the BE tournament? Most talked about team in college basketball for 4 days. Big East needs Georgetown to get back to where it was 6 years ago and be a perennial top 25 team. You pair that with UConn and Nova and what looks to be a perennial challenger in Seton Hall, a Marquette program with Shake, and X and that’s a conference with 6 very marketable brands. Crieghton would be included in that convo but they’ve decided to fall on their sword by sticking with McDermott. Next year the conference should be really good. I see Nova, UConn, Hall being the top 3 with Georgetown/X/Providence making up the next tier.
fall on their sword? guy just got them to the sweet 16. get out of here slipping in that comment.

I don't think anybody is debating that. I think the difference is whether we need to cherry pick specific schools that need to be successful.
OK, fair enough. But to that end, to think that the success of St. John's and Georgetown do not life the league in a way that is disproportionate to the others is to betray of lack of understanding about the nature of these things. That's not to say that you're going to sit there shaking your pom-pons for the Johnnies, but that you understand the benefit of them being a national player - which, again, comes at no detriment to us.

Thats just it though... they were a hot story for four days. Then they got blown out in the first round and it was all forgotten. And the National aspect to it all was more Ewing than Georgetown and his story of not being recognized at MSG. Honestly, once the NCAA started, their tournament win was pretty much forgotten by anyone outside of the Big East. That’s the difference between now and days of the 1980s. Everything was aligned perfectly back then. Those days aren’t coming back, because everything from the media to the sport itself are just different now. It’s still really good, just not the same.

Thats just it though... they were a hot story for four days. Then they got blown out in the first round and it was all forgotten. And the National aspect to it all was more Ewing than Georgetown and his story of not being recognized at MSG. Honestly, once the NCAA started, their tournament win was pretty much forgotten by anyone outside of the Big East. That’s the difference between now and days of the 1980s. Everything was aligned perfectly back then. Those days aren’t coming back, because everything from the media to the sport itself are just different now. It’s still really good, just not the same.
The shelf life of any story isn’t very long. It was a great story. Period. Full stop.

Reactions: ArtieLange9
The Big East commissioner would like the big market teams to do well. That includes DePaul. This would make FOX happy. All your opinions mean nothing . Fox pays the bills. When FOX is happy that's a really good thing.

I look at it this way...do I want to be a big fish in a small pond. And the answer is no, never.

If SHU is ever going to maximize its potential it needs a very strong Big East to raise the profile of every league member. And by doing so increase exposure, which in turn will benefit recruiting.

Those that just focus on Seton Hall are missing the point. We will never be the best we can be if the league annually ranks 6th as it did this past season behind the power 5 football schools.

I don't want to be a glorified AAC or A-10 conference. I want to compete with the very best leagues and in turn the very best teams in those leagues.

For that to happen we need exposure, strength of conference, the ability to recruit at the highest levels. In short we need SJU, Georgetown, DePaul, etc. to be the best they can be and then for us to follow suit.

PJ a long time ago said it best. We became the power that we were (at the end of his SHU career) because of the Big East and the exposure it gave us.

That was true then and it's true now.
I subscribe to your view. And I put Uconn in the same boat as others I want to be solid more often than not. It isn’t mutually exclusive to our success and I don’t want any of these programs to be world beaters. I’m fine enough with Gtown and SJU and Uconn being around how they were last year, maybe a tick better. Generally in the top half of the league stuff. There is no reason that can’t happen and we can’t be better, which is what we all want. That’s my perfect world. That is how I would “cherry pick”. I’m a traditionalist and could care less about the Midwest teams. No sports fan who lived near me in NY/NJ does. But they absolutely are interested in Ewing, Uconn being back, St John’s because of location and name recognition.

Like them or not, Uconn has a brand nationally that we don’t. Georgetown has a brand nationally that we don’t. And St John’s during even a year like last season gets the NYC media machine behind it (which then drives the national discussion). I don’t get why folks somehow think we will ever get that same coverage on a regular basis or influence the NY market. We don’t. That market doesn’t care by and large about us. Braziller is nice to us with articles here and there like he is or will be with Rutgers and Uconn (and maybe Iona). He writes an article about SJU almost daily when they are decent and numerous other NY media folks get on the train. It’s a different world. That type of exposure creates interest, buzz, eyeballs whatever you call it.

Reactions: garyshu71
The Big East commissioner would like the big market teams to do well. That includes DePaul. This would make FOX happy. All your opinions mean nothing . Fox pays the bills. When FOX is happy that's a really good thing.

And let’s remember how that includes Seton Hall as well. It’s no coincidence that FOX set the scene for every Hall home game with aerial footage of NYC.

I look at it this way...do I want to be a big fish in a small pond. And the answer is no, never.

If SHU is ever going to maximize its potential it needs a very strong Big East to raise the profile of every league member. And by doing so increase exposure, which in turn will benefit recruiting.

Those that just focus on Seton Hall are missing the point. We will never be the best we can be if the league annually ranks 6th as it did this past season behind the power 5 football schools.

I don't want to be a glorified AAC or A-10 conference. I want to compete with the very best leagues and in turn the very best teams in those leagues.

For that to happen we need exposure, strength of conference, the ability to recruit at the highest levels. In short we need SJU, Georgetown, DePaul, etc. to be the best they can be and then for us to follow suit.

PJ a long time ago said it best. We became the power that we were (at the end of his SHU career) because of the Big East and the exposure it gave us.

That was true then and it's true now.
Well said.

EXACTLY

Reactions: Hallsome
I don't think anybody is debating that. I think the difference is whether we need to cherry pick specific schools that need to be successful.
Exactly. Yes, I want a top conference with strong teams. I just don’t care for that to be SJU. That’s not necessary to me.

A strong DePaul or Creighton is more desirable with SHU the top team in the NYC market.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
The cache of SJU outside of the NY media market is not material in terms of ratings for the league. You can make the argument that a strong DePaul brand is good for the Chicago eyeballs and Midwest in general. Georgetown may have some national appeal, but it pales to Villanova and UConn.

Selfishly, a strong SJU program makes recruiting more of a direct challenge for SHU. We already saw the impact UConn has had on our recruiting.

Win tournament games if you want to raise the conferences profile. I don't care what teams are winning them. FWIW, in the conferences best showing in terms of NCAA tournament bids, 7 of 10 teams made it in 2017 none named Georgetown, Depaul or St Johns.

Exactly. Yes, I want a top conference with strong teams. I just don’t care for that to be SJU. That’s not necessary to me.

A strong DePaul or Creighton is more desirable with SHU the top team in the NYC market.
The average NY sports fan could care less by and large about Seton Hall basketball. They don’t associate us with the NY teams or NY market. I’m a diehard sports fan that has lived through our best days and our worst days and I say that confidently. It’s no different then when Rutgers fans think that somehow the NY market is RU’s to capture. I worry about us dominating our own state between Rutgers alums being everywhere, other big school alums and Nova having a big following.

Reactions: Piratz
And let’s remember how that includes Seton Hall as well. It’s no coincidence that FOX set the scene for every Hall home game with aerial footage of NYC.
Tiring but here goes again. SJU has the 3rd largest alumni base. Right behind DePaul and behind Uconn. Both of these teams have anemic attendance. And I think we all know why. On top of that SJU is NYC’s college team. The Johnnies do well more alumni watch them. The more eyeballs the more valuable the BE media rights are. Same for DePaul. There are huge numbers of potential viewers and fans in seats these two schools could draw. To borrow from our deranged friends in NB, these two teams are sleeping giants in terms of viewing numbers and what they could do for maintaining and or increasing the value of BE games.

Last edited:
Tiring but here goes again. I don’t care what St John’s has to offer. I want them to languish in awfulness. If that makes me a selfish, shortsighted fan, then so be it.

Reactions: Piratz and sami
Tiring but here goes again. I don’t care what St John’s has to offer. I want them to languish in awfulness. If that makes me a selfish, shortsighted fan, then so be it.
sounds like you hate sju more than you love shu?

Tiring but here goes again. SJU has the 3rd largest alumni base. Right behind DePaul and behind Uconn. Both of these teams have anemic attendance. And I think we all know why. On top of that SJU is NYC’s college team. The Johnnies do well more alumni watch them. The more eyeballs the more valuable the BE media rights are. Same for DePaul. There are huge numbers of potential viewers and fans in seats these two schools could draw. To borrow from our deranged friends in NB, these two teams are sleeping giants in terms of viewing numbers and what they could do for maintaining and or increasing the value of BE games.
I think Depaul is a lost cause but who knows.

Georgetown is not. It wasn’t that long ago they were pretty good annually. They have Ewing.

St John’s is definitely not. They were pretty good this year. They have a good coach. Lavin had them highly relevant during periods of time - I used to get SI and recall a whole feature devoted to him and then year 1. And even under Mullin the one year they were a pretty good had great attendance numbers and got an enormous amount of attention.

Those two are salvageable. I’m not sure Depaul is frankly. But again I’ve been wrong on this stuff many many times before.

Another discussion that went off track. Any word on Posh transferring?
Was there anything beyond what this one guy with 250 followers, who claimed that "rumors are beginning to circulate," and that he had two sources close to the team, said a few days ago? Has literally anyone else even mentioned this possibility?

Don’t listen to dehere anyway, he’s a diehard Johnnie.

Don’t listen to dehere anyway, he’s a diehard Johnnie.
Sure I am, because anyone who doesn't think that our program can "dominate" the NYC media market must be one. Get real. I'm an "All World" poster and pay a membership fee on the Trove as an undercover fan of another program -- please. And I must be a Uconn and Gtown fan since I"m talking about them in the same vein. Or a Providence fan, as I've been called before because I like Ed Cooley. You can disagree with my opinion, but everyone here posts opinions, which is the interesting aspect of most fan message boards. Let's drive away real fans of the program because we have so many -- it isn't like we have post-after-post begging people to show up to games, providing traffic and weather patterns, commuting options and the like. I forgot that we are no different than the Yankees and Knicks when it comes to the NYC sports market.

Reactions: TomD82
I haven't seen anything. Two years ago we had ridiculously long and dead-horse repetitive posts on TT. This year it was Posh. God knows what next year will bring...
Dehere23 what's the inside scoop on Posh? Is he transferring or not?
Let me check from my fellow fan network. If he is let’s pray it’s not Rutgers because we’ll get even more endless threads next year.

Sure I am, because anyone who doesn't think that our program can "dominate" the NYC media market must be one. Get real. I'm an "All World" poster and pay a membership fee on the Trove as an undercover fan of another program -- please. And I must be a Uconn and Gtown fan since I"m talking about them in the same vein. Or a Providence fan, as I've been called before because I like Ed Cooley. You can disagree with my opinion, but everyone here posts opinions, which is the interesting aspect of most fan message boards. Let's drive away real fans of the program because we have so many -- it isn't like we have post-after-post begging people to show up to games, providing traffic and weather patterns, commuting options and the like. I forgot that we are no different than the Yankees and Knicks when it comes to the NYC sports market.
Lighten up. Lol, sensitive.

Reactions: ArtieLange9
This a very long [-winded] thread, especially if Posh, as I suspect, is not going anywhere.

Reactions: SHUMA04
sounds like you hate sju more than you love shu?

No .... it’s just that I have no love at all for a major rival. Put me in the St John’s is a bigger rival than Rutgers camp. Do Yankee fans hate the Red Sox more than they love the Yankees? Of course not. This isn’t any different.

Reactions: shu09
No .... it’s just that I have no love at all for a major rival. Put me in the St John’s is a bigger rival than Rutgers camp. Do Yankee fans hate the Red Sox more than they love the Yankees? Of course not. This isn’t any different.
it is different tho. post season chances are based on rankings that largely come from playing in a good conference. its even more relevant for recruiting (see uconn). its also relevant on the financial end.

id go to say this is almost 100% different.

I hear you but our rivalry with SJU doesn’t belong in the same sentence as Red Sox/Yanks. No BE rivalry does. Maybe peak Gtown/SJU back in the day for a brief period. Duke/NC and X/Cincy are ones that approach Yanks/Sox.

I hear you but our rivalry with SJU doesn’t belong in the same sentence as Red Sox/Yanks. No BE rivalry does. Maybe peak Gtown/SJU back in the day for a brief period. Duke/NC and X/Cincy are ones that approach Yanks/Sox.
X and Cincy!?! Lol

It would be horrible for that program and for our league. We want kids like Alexander in the Big East. And it would reaffirm my joke that Louie made some deal with the devil, because they’re had horrible luck since he left. A common NY fandom is the Jets/Mets/St John’s. I know tons of friends who fall into that category. As a Yankee/Giant fan I feel for them.
One guy horrible for the league? Awfully dramatic. Now if Jays top level recruiting class no shows, that’s horrible. If Danny’s talent leaves, that’s horrible. One helter skelter, good PG leaving....not horrible. Frankly Alexander leaving wasn’t even “horrible” and he was a consistently very good, established player, that excelled at every facet of the game (on a great team). Love your Posh fetish.

Reactions: thehall07
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT