ADVERTISEMENT

Powell expected to miss several games

St Louis would be a blessing. Oregon is definitely better be back.
Post game with Cohen Willard said two to three weeks. So that would be for Thanksgiving tourney. I’d expect him to be back for Oregon.

Remember we beat Kentucky and few expected it to even be close.....We can beat any team any night. Sandro needs to take the leadership role and Cale must score and create his own opportunities offensively. Ike and Ro need to be careful with fouling so quickly. I think we will win............lol

If we can beat Michigan St without Powell.....that’s asking a lot based on what we saw today.

If Powell is going to be out we need Mamu and Cale to step up big time. Cale has been sleep walking on offense so far this season.

No reason we can’t. They are good and well coached but far from a finished product as Izzo’s teams always are best later in the year. We have depth, experience and size to combat them in the paint and on the glass which is a Mich St calling card. And they are down an excellent player as well. Plus we’ll have the benefit of a raucous home crowd.

If we can beat Michigan St without Powell.....that’s asking a lot based on what we saw today.

Nope, Joshua Langford, one of their star players, is out for the season with an ankle injury.
I don’t think Langford has played a game for MSU since 2018. He was out essentially all last year and they still went to the final four without him.

Kid Was a 5-star recruit and very good player but MSU was more than fine without him. Not really comparable to losing Powell.

I don’t think Langford has played a game for MSU since 2018. He was out essentially all last year and they still went to the final four without him.

Kid Was a 5-star recruit and very good player but MSU was more than fine without him. Not really comparable to losing Powell.

Stop. You’re basically saying they can live without Langford and we can’t live without Powell. Sounds like people are throwing in the towel before the game even starts. Screw that. I’ve seen SHU beat a lot of teams they weren’t supposed to beat. How about beating ranked SJU and ranked Nova when Whitehead was out his freshman year. IF WE GIVE MSU EVERYTHING WE GOT WE CAN WIN THURSDAY NIGHT. I BELIEVE IN THESE GUYS. Who’s with me?

Stop. You’re basically saying they can live without Langford and we can’t live without Powell. Sounds like people are throwing in the towel before the game even starts. Screw that. I’ve seen SHU beat a lot of teams they weren’t supposed to beat. How about beating ranked SJU and ranked Nova when Whitehead was out his freshman year. IF WE GIVE MSU EVERYTHING WE GOT WE CAN WIN THURSDAY NIGHT. I BELIEVE IN THESE GUYS. Who’s with me?
Uhhhhh I was simply pointing out that MSU missing a player that they haven’t had on the court since December 2018 and us missing Powell isn’t a similar comparison. The poster also mention Langford is their best player which is not accurate. Need you to settle in boss. Just stating facts.

Stay in your lane. Seriously.
...he has a sprain so swelling and inflammation will be directly in that area...elevation ice and ultrasound are the best methods for decreasing the swelling and evacuation the area of inflammation in quick order I don't need to be a MD or PT to know this thanks though Donnie B

He’s their best 2 guard and hard to replace. But you are absolutely right - they still have plenty of pieces, including Cassius Winston, one of the top 5 players in the country and a Hall of Fame coach.

We can win if Willard draws up an excellent game plan that everyone follows, and the stars align.

A long shot? I’d say yes, without Powell, but I’ll be cheering like mad and anything is possible. It’s our home court. Maybe Cale gets out of his funk and everyone else exceeds expectations.

If it becomes an ugly defensive game with a low score, who knows?

I think the spread without Powell could be around 12. I personally don’t think it’d be close without him. Not only is he our best player by a long shot, but the entire scheme revolves around him. If you want to take down a top 5 team, someone needs to take over and make shots and we don’t have anyone else that can do that

Correct. Without Powell we can’t square up with a top 5 team. Hard with him too, but a chance.

I posted details that I believe are accurate on the Trove. For here I'll just say he is VERY unlikely to play against Mich St.

Bad timing
It would be great to have him for mich st. but he could miss two weeks and only miss two games. 18 days and only miss 3 games 1 of which is a complete cupcake. If we could go 2-1 (that st.louis game is huge and difficult) in a 18 day period without MP and the only loss was to a team favored by Vegas to win the national championship would be pretty darn good.

that st.louis game is huge!

I know we are in a bad situation right now, but out of bad situations good things can come. Any one who has ever coached at any level knows good teams rally at times like this. We are going to find out a lot about this team Thursday night. I expect the defensive effort to be off the charts. The players all respect Powell but we have some confident guys who can step up and possibly go off Thursday night. It’s a team game. We come out of a tight game with MSU no Powell (hopefully win) and the confidence level will be soaring. One thing for sure we will be a double digit underdog at home.

Good teams come out fighting when their best player goes down.

I’m just hoping the guys we can put on the floor can make this game respectable and be in late in the game. Let’s get Powell back for the bigger picture later in the month and the rest of the year. Ankle injuries can be tough to get through if they don’t heal properly.

Good post Hallguy! Time for our other players to step up. This could help us the rest of the season when Myles returns as well.

...he has a sprain so swelling and inflammation will be directly in that area...elevation ice and ultrasound are the best methods for decreasing the swelling and evacuation the area of inflammation in quick order I don't need to be a MD or PT to know this thanks though Donnie B

Some understanding and experience would be good, regardless of what degree you don't have. Ultrasound is, in effect, heat, and you don't apply heat to an acute injury. Most training rooms are not doing that acutely any more. Ice and elevation, sure. Compression, maybe a walking boot. I read the troves and it sounds like a grade 1-2 injury; also saw that you mixed up inversion/everson. On the replay, sure looked like an inversion injury and a resulting lateral ankle sprain. Hell of a lot better prognosis than a high ankle sprain. If Thursday was an NCAA game, Powell would most likely be taped and/or braced,and out there. 3rd game of the regular season, even if it is MSU, gotta let it heal.

Some understanding and experience would be good, regardless of what degree you don't have. Ultrasound is, in effect, heat, and you don't apply heat to an acute injury. Most training rooms are not doing that acutely any more. Ice and elevation, sure. Compression, maybe a walking boot. I read the troves and it sounds like a grade 1-2 injury; also saw that you mixed up inversion/everson. On the replay, sure looked like an inversion injury and a resulting lateral ankle sprain. Hell of a lot better prognosis than a high ankle sprain. If Thursday was an NCAA game, Powell would most likely be taped and/or braced,and out there. 3rd game of the regular season, even if it is MSU, gotta let it heal.
I'm guessing donnie knows of what he speaks.

Name the last ranked non-conference opponent to come to The Rock?

Never happened before. MSU will be the first one.

In fact, Seton Hall has only hosted three ranked non-conference opponents this entire century, all pre-Prudential Center:

#18 Texas in December 2004
#18 Illinois in February 2002
#2 Michigan State in December 2000

Injuries really suck and you can't do anything about them. But if he was destined to have a sprained ankle, I'd rather have it now than in February or March despite playing MSU this week.

I’d get Powell ready for the Atlantis tourney. Right now, it looks like Oregon may be the key game in the non conference. The winners and losers bracket in that tourney will likely be enormous in terms of name value and strength of schedule.

Never happened before. MSU will be the first one.

In fact, Seton Hall has only hosted three ranked non-conference opponents this entire century, all pre-Prudential Center:

#18 Texas in December 2004
#18 Illinois in February 2002
#2 Michigan State in December 2000

Injuries really suck and you can't do anything about them. But if he was destined to have a sprained ankle, I'd rather have it now than in February or March despite playing MSU this week.

Exactly, that's why this game is so important to the program. Even if this game was chosen for us by the powers that be, it represents our standing as a program at this moment in time. Much like those three games above were a barometer of where we were during that time frame.

Agreed if Myles has to miss one or more games, you want it sooner rather than later when we're making a post season run.

Reactions: jwc69 and SHUMA04
March would be worse timing but it's still bad timing.

How many opportunities does Seton Hall get to showcase its program like this and how many chances does Myles have to show that he can play head-to-head with elite players?

Name the last ranked non-conference opponent to come to The Rock?
He will have that opportunity again against Maryland at the Rock. Plus he will hopefully have opportunities against Oregon and Gonzaga in the Bahamas. Then he will have it twice against fellow All American Markus Howard.

Are we going to get more current information than what we got after the SB game? Or is Willard going to keep this hush hush and keep us all guessing? I’m also not sure how the college basketball injury report works. Do teams have to go public with injuries or are they allowed to keep everything in house?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT