ADVERTISEMENT

Quincy Mcknight

We already have Myles Powell and Myles Cale kind of a log jam at this position. Not a very good long range shooter and averaged almost 5 turnovers a game last year.

One thing that I have never complained about Willard or Sha, is their ability to scout talent. If they like him, then so do I.

We love the Sacred Heart kids, weren't we after Cane Broome last year? Any SHU tattoos transfer well for the players too, very important accessory

If he is a two guard as he is reported to be and you have two sophs on next year's roster in Powell and Gordon with Cale coming in as a freshman why add another two guard. If the thinking is that the staff will convert him to play the point during his sit out year then taking him makes sense otherwise you're adding to a position with solid depth already .

We def were after Broome. This kid should help with scholarship distribution and balancing classes. It means we will have more experience next year as well even after our seniors leave, which is huge given how many kids fail to stay 3 or 4 years. Makes plenty of sense even though I don't know much about this kids ability.

He will sit one to play two

Verbal Commits has posted that he is transferring to SH and they list him as a PG. if he is a PG and you already have Walker and now McKnight how does this effect our 2018 recruiting of some very high quality, top rated PG's .

My only concern with this is what effect it has on the 2018 guard targets. Powell, Q, Walker and Cale are all going to expect major minutes and hopefully that is justified. Add in Gordon. Unless we can sell playing 3 guard lineups most of the time - and with Cale and Powell we probably can - this means to me that the staff is not confident on the 18 targets or it could hurt us with selling them.

If he is a two guard as he is reported to be and you have two sophs on next year's roster in Powell and Gordon with Cale coming in as a freshman why add another two guard. If the thinking is that the staff will convert him to play the point during his sit out year then taking him makes sense otherwise you're adding to a position with solid depth already .

This is quite a head scratching signing. Not hard to figure out who seems to be the odd man out going forward.

Looks like Eron Gordon is the odd man out. If he couldn't play when his only comp was Madison Jones..

2016-17 Highlights:

22 Pts, 4 rbs, 3 asts, 2 TOs in 22 Mins vs zona
36 Pts, 5 rbs, 3 asts, 4 TOs in 39 Mins vs BC
78% on 222 FTA

--
Tough to judge a scorer for ast/to ratio when hes on a bad team trying to do it all, but obviously needs to improve. Gets to the line and knocks them down.

Seems like a good fill in for Carringtons role (albiet less minutes) if he develops.

Congrats Quincy. Practice hard and help make the 17/18 Pirates the best they can be.

I certainly don't know what motivated the staff to add this player nor am I in a position to judge whether he's a player with BE talent , with a significant upside and fills a priority need for us. What I am trying to reconcile is adding this player when we keep hearing how many highly rated , exceptionally talented players we're heavily involved with in the 2018 class and Kevin's own statement that we're now in a position to recruit the players that fall into the elite player category.

If kid can play that's great. But likely a bad sign for 2018 prospects unless I'm not getting the numbers game. But if we weren't getting those kids or there was a risk better to get the bird in hand who can play.

I certainly don't know what motivated the staff to add this player nor am I in a position to judge whether he's a player with BE talent , with a significant upside and fills a priority need for us. What I am trying to reconcile is adding this player when we keep hearing how many highly rated , exceptionally talented players we're heavily involved with in the 2018 class and Kevin's own statement that we're now in a position to recruit the players that fall into the elite player category.

MATT, I'll give you Soffer, but let's face it, Wilson and Grennon were the only guys KW could get back in the early days when no parent of a good prospect was going to send their kid into the mess that was SHU hoops.
If we hired a top notch recruiter, he would have gotten players right away. I think Baylor recovered from murder faster than we recovered from gonzo. I don't mean to get on willard, but we used bg as far too much of an excuse.

Just skimmed through this tape of Quincy McKnight vs. Arizona. He played very well in the second half (foul problems first half).

22 points
8/13 field goals
0/2 3pt field goals
6/6 free throws
3 assists
4 rebounds
2 turnovers

What I saw:

Bad jump shooter
Played decent defense against good Arizona guards
Decent handles
Decent passing
Good FT shooter
Good height
Good length
Good speed
Great athletic finisher (against some of the best shot blocking big men in the country)

Why wouldn't he be able to contribute 12-15 mpg, or more, in the 2 years that he's here? Not every guard we get has to be a jump shooter and I like what I saw (admitting it's only one game). Wouldn't it be cool to have our own Shaun Livingston- type player (surrounded by shooters, makes smart passes, pushes the pace, finishes around the rim, gives the starters an extended rest)?

I just can't understand the immediate backlash...how do you KNOW he's a bad player? How do you KNOW he'll never contribute? Were you there when Willard talked to him? Do you know what his role will be?

And don't even get me started on the posts about Eron... let's just relax and see how it plays out...there's really no need to be angry at the staff because really, no one can predict how anything will turn out...

Really? What say you about Sean Grennan, Dalton Soffer, Freddy Wilson, Myles Carter, Jevon Thomas, Tom Maayan, Chier Ajou, Braeden Anderson, Veer Singh to name a few.

You can understand some of the recruiting flops early in Kevin's tenure as he had to follow the train wreck that was the BG era and having a young, relatively inexperienced staff of assistants trying to sign talent in a highly competitive conference. Yet there have been a good number of recent misses as well as HallLine69 points out and whether adding McKnight was a good decision rather then using that ship on a 2018'class player or a much higher regarded transfer remains to be seen.

If we hired a top notch recruiter, he would have gotten players right away. I think Baylor recovered from murder faster than we recovered from gonzo. I don't mean to get on willard, but we used bg as far too much of an excuse.
Agree with your first point about a young, inexperienced staff trying to recruit against the heavyweights of the BE. But BG was not an excuse , he was a damned fact, a reality that we had to overcome.
Regarding Baylor. Have you ever lived in Big 12 country? I have. It's all about football. Nothing else they do matters.

Agree with your first point about a young, inexperienced staff trying to recruit against the heavyweights of the BE. But BG was not an excuse , he was a damned fact, a reality that we had to overcome.
Regarding Baylor. Have you ever lived in Big 12 country? I have. It's all about football. Nothing else they do matters.
I agree bg was a fact, a fact a skilled reruiter would have overcome quickly. WE used it as an excuse to excuse bad recruiting for way too long.

Playing defense and having the ability to play defense, especially with a different coach and style of play might not be the same.

I am neither defending the player or criticizing him. Instead I will judge for myself when I see him in OUR uniform.

McKnight might have been so valuable for Sacred Heart that it was more important for him to stay out of foul trouble than to play strong defense (like Angel). He might also be a player that had to carry so much of the offensive load that he had to conserve energy on D. These kids are not machines. They do get tired.

At Seton Hall McKnight, who is a very good athlete and thus has the ability to play tough D will have to do just that or he won't see the court.

Also he'll have a year to work on his body to get stronger which will help him on both sides of the ball.

Bottom line, this Willard is not the past Willard. We're bringing in a better class of recruits. We're trending upward in the league. And we're involved with a ton of high major players next season. Yet despite that many are still questioning his decisions. That's your right of course. But I now think based on the last few years at the Hall he more than deserves the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT