ADVERTISEMENT

Quincy Mcknight

Some do, some don't. It is a factor in almost every decision, to varying degrees, and with few exceptions (like the Kentucky's or Duke's of the world to a large extent). I'm not saying we won't get any guards we have been recruiting the past three years for the 2018 class. I'm saying the staff clearly viewed two years worth of McKnight as the best option when compared to the potential that we land a Quinerly, Luther, Carey, Nowell, etc. Nothing wrong with that at all, and frankly it is a breath of fresh air that we will have, at minimum, four quality guard options on the roster for 2018.

Remember Powell came here knowing he was likely the second best guard option on the roster (after Deanno) and with plenty of PT to be had. Madison Jones or whoever we filled with IW's slot was not scaring him away. Nor was Jevon Thomas. Likewise, Cale came here knowing he was going to get minutes as either a third guard option (and he may be better than Powell) or the second best "wing" option we have, particularly as I foresee situations in which Desi plays the 4 next year. 2018 will definitely be more of a logjam, which I'm totally content with because of the quality of players. But it definitely does speak to the local kids we've been after and chances of landing several of them (as folks speculated for months).

In my opinion, top players don't mind waiting their turn to start on a team competing for their conference title and an NCAA bid. This coming year with Cale and last year with Powell, they didn't arrive having to be the man. When was he last time this happened for the Pirates?? Not every top recruit believes they should start from day one on every team. We've turned the corner and have become one of those schools. To state that we won't get any of the local players for 2018 because of our current lineup is crazy.

Will not be easy to convince a kid like Carey to come here with a back court that includes Powell and McKnight as juniors and Walker and Cale as sophomores. All of those kids will expect to play big minutes, and that's not including Gordon.

Even if you want to include Cale as a wing you are going to have to sell a kid like Carey on some PT off the bat where he will no doubt have plenty of other solid options with PT available.

Again, I disagree with you. This signing will not scare off Carey. The Hall can play 3 guards next year and Carey can back up the 1 and 2 spots and get 20 minutes a game. Carey is so good he could challenge Powell and Cale for PT.

The more I think about the McKnight signing, the more I think that the staff thinks King is a long shot and they will play 3 guards next year. If they land Carey he backs up the 1&2 and McKnight provides the depth.

My son is a student at the other SHU and works for Bobby V. I've seen him there and no way he belonged on the same court as the other 9 guys. Kid was on another level. A local college coach said the only reason he want to Heart was because they were on him early and he's loyal. There were plenty of bigger schools sniffing around. This is a terrific get.

There still were a lot of quality schools recruiting him when we got him. this looks like a steal to me.

Just skimmed through this tape of Quincy McKnight vs. Arizona. He played very well in the second half (foul problems first half).

22 points
8/13 field goals
0/2 3pt field goals
6/6 free throws
3 assists
4 rebounds
2 turnovers

What I saw:

Bad jump shooter
Played decent defense against good Arizona guards
Decent handles
Decent passing
Good FT shooter
Good height
Good length
Good speed
Great athletic finisher (against some of the best shot blocking big men in the country)

Why wouldn't he be able to contribute 12-15 mpg, or more, in the 2 years that he's here? Not every guard we get has to be a jump shooter and I like what I saw (admitting it's only one game). Wouldn't it be cool to have our own Shaun Livingston- type player (surrounded by shooters, makes smart passes, pushes the pace, finishes around the rim, gives the starters an extended rest)?

I just can't understand the immediate backlash...how do you KNOW he's a bad player? How do you KNOW he'll never contribute? Were you there when Willard talked to him? Do you know what his role will be?

And don't even get me started on the posts about Eron... let's just relax and see how it plays out...there's really no need to be angry at the staff because really, no one can predict how anything will turn out...

He has a year to improve his jump shot.

Does Nova say "we dont have a chance if the blue bloods get involved? " no so why should we........unreal

Reactions: Seton75
Again, I disagree with you. This signing will not scare off Carey. The Hall can play 3 guards next year and Carey can back up the 1 and 2 spots and get 20 minutes a game. Carey is so good he could challenge Powell and Cale for PT.

The more I think about the McKnight signing, the more I think that the staff thinks King is a long shot and they will play 3 guards next year. If they land Carey he backs up the 1&2 and McKnight provides the depth.

cernj
Here I have to disagree with you on one of the points you made and that is that Carey won't go where he'll be a backup but only go where he's the front runner to start.

They are as close to a Blue Blood as any school can get.
yes they are, but remember once upon a time they had lappas and he did ok but then they fell a bit, they didnt use any blue blood excuse, Jay came, and Jay took over......... Duke used to be awful too once, so did UCONN, so did Cuse........im just saying, its all cyclic

if I took over Duke next week, I am not a bball coach, they would lose haha

cernj
Here I have to disagree with you on one of the points you made and that is that Carey won't go where he'll be a backup but only go where he's the front runner to start.

Carey is a great player. The school that he likes that is the biggest threat to us is Kansas. At Kansas he will come off the bench as a freshman and then the following year may be recruited over. So your point that Carey will not go to a team where he won't start is not true. I am not saying that it isn't a factor but it doesn't exclude any team.

Carey may end up being better than Powell and Cale. The kid can play.

Reactions: mbraue
Quincy McKnight to Seton Hall
By JACOB POLACHECK

Quincy McKnight, the 6-foot-3, 185-pound sophomore guard from Sacred Heart, will transfer to Seton Hall.

He’ll sit out next season per NCAA rules, and then have two years of eligibility at Seton Hall.

He also considered Santa Clara, Nevada, Penn State, Memphis and Middle Tennessee State.

“What made me choose Seton Hall was how good the coaching staff is at developing their players,” he said.

“And just being around the team you can tell everybody’s main goal is to get better and win.”

Last season at Sacred Heart, McKnight averaged 18.9 points, 4.9 rebounds and 3 assists per game.

“I’ll be able to make people around me better and will put pressure on the defense because I’m able to score the ball at a high level.”

“Quincy McKnight will present himself as an extremely coachable student-athlete,” said McKnight’s former coach with the PSA Cardinals, Munch Williams. “He will position himself to do whatever is needed from the coaching [staff] with the single goal of winning. He will fit in great with the other talented young men at Seton Hall and showcase his ability to be a great teammate.”

Follow Jacob on Twitter

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/06/03/quincy-mcknight-seton-hall/

It's all coming together......I like what I am reading now.....Play the game....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT