ADVERTISEMENT

Quincy Mcknight

This Board relishes in negativity. He seems like a solid pickup. Why the doom and gloom? Willard and company earned their stripes the last two years. It's time to have faith in their judgment. We no longer have to fight for table scraps which led to prior recruits who were not big east caliber.

Last edited:
Playing defense and having the ability to play defense, especially with a different coach and style of play might not be the same.

I am neither defending the player or criticizing him. Instead I will judge for myself when I see him in OUR uniform.

McKnight might have been so valuable for Sacred Heart that it was more important for him to stay out of foul trouble than to play strong defense (like Angel). He might also be a player that had to carry so much of the offensive load that he had to conserve energy on D. These kids are not machines. They do get tired.

At Seton Hall McKnight, who is a very good athlete and thus has the ability to play tough D will have to do just that or he won't see the court.

Also he'll have a year to work on his body to get stronger which will help him on both sides of the ball.

Bottom line, this Willard is not the past Willard. We're bringing in a better class of recruits. We're trending upward in the league. And we're involved with a ton of high major players next season. Yet despite that many are still questioning his decisions. That's your right of course. But I now think based on the last few years at the Hall he more than deserves the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

I don't disagree with anything you said here. The only question I have for next season is with Walker, McKnight, Powell, Cale, and Gordon there is a complete log jam at the guard spots. People say Cale can play the 3 but at only 6'4" that seems like quite a stretch. This is just my opinion but seems like the coaching staff has soured on Gordon w/this signing.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Seems like a good pick up for various reasons. But this was my comment and perception. If we have 5 guys for the guard and wing positions for 2018 it does not appear to bode well for how we feel about 2018 guard/small wing recruits (bigger wings and front court is obviously another story). That's fine if the staff thinks a bird in the hand is better but folks don't seem to be talking about what it would mean for guys like Luther, Quinerly, Carey, Nowell, etc

I don't disagree with anything you said here. The only question I have for next season is with Walker, McKnight, Powell, Cale, and Gordon there is a complete log jam at the guard spots. People say Cale can play the 3 but at only 6'4" that seems like quite a stretch. This is just my opinion but seems like the coaching staff has soured on Gordon w/this signing.

There could be a logjam but the alternative as it was in the past is not having enough quality depth.

Minutes will always take care of themselves. Competition brings out the best or worst in players. Those that survive will earn their PT and our program will be the better for it. That's the bottom line.

Worrying abut 2 years down the road when we still have this season to play is puzzling to me. It's not like we aren't involved with high quality players for the 2018/19 season to bolster the roster.

Willard wanted a couple of players in his program to redshirt while learning his system so we are partially protected when the core 4 graduate. He's done that with McKnight & Gill.

Personally, in a best case scenario I would have wanted a SF or PF to fill the void. But it seems like McKnight was the best this staff could do and if the player is a consolation prize, and I'm not saying he is, that not a bad choice.

Many here last season were upset that we 'settled' for little known Madison Jones. Well that played out well once Jones hit the court. I say McKnight deserves the chance to prove he can do the same moving forward.

The kid is tested and proven as a collegiate player. HS kids are not. Although the HS kids have the reputations they are still untried. There really is a transition from HS, even the highest levels, to NCAA D1 play. The transition is more challenging when it it to the level of play of the BE. The HS kids will probably make the transition but it will require some time. Case in point are the current srs. They all had reps coming out of hs (Ish as the exception) but that did not translate to overwhelming achievement and success. I has taken time and growth as a person and player - an evolution that is precisely what college is for. So few kids are equipped to make that transition without challenges. They are the ones that are really one and dones. Even then, they still are not really ready for the NBA (see other thread on the NBA evaluation of the one and done rule).

The staff has chosen this kid. It appears that they didn't act out of desperation. They have insight that no fan has. They see something. It may be how he fits in with the group dynamic. It may be the physical skills that allow for growth in his game. It may be particular skills he already has. Or a combination of all of these. Or other things not readily known.

The kid can play. Eager to see him do so for the Hall.

This Board relishes in negativity. He seems like a solid pickup. Why the doom and gloom? Willard and company earned their stripes the last two years. It's time to have faith in their judgment. We no longer have to fight for table scraps which led to prior recruits who were not big east caliber.
Can you imagine if Seton Hall signed the guard that Coach K and Duke signed this spring? He wasn't in the top 400 from what I remember. Willard has the most talented/experienced team for next year that this school has since since 2000-2001. There are how many scholarships each school has? How many minutes to share per game? Why do posters think every player has to be a star, or you want them to transfer, and call them terrible players?

I know that McKnight played against some of our guys before and they weren't impressed. Apparently when he came to campus it was a whole different deal. At least from what I understand. He stepped up and made a big impression. I take that read as a sign that he had proven himself not just to the staff but to his future teammates.

Can you imagine if Seton Hall signed the guard that Coach K and Duke signed this spring? He wasn't in the top 400 from what I remember. Willard has the most talented/experienced team for next year that this school has since since 2000-2001. There are how many scholarships each school has? How many minutes to share per game? Why do posters think every player has to be a star, or you want them to transfer, and call them terrible players?

Yes, I can imagine. Hmm, what do I care that he brought in that player. Because he brought in Trevon Duval and another top 3 recruiting class. Not the best analogy to make.

Every staff in college and professional sports makes mistakes in their evaluation of and signing of talent and it doesn't matter if you're the GM of a professional team or a college head coach. It also doesn't matter whether as a GM you made that mistake when you drafted a player or signed him as a free agent or as a head coach you signed him coming out of HS or as a transfer.

To think or suggest that Kevin and his staff are infallible is not reality and to expect them to be right all the time is just not going to happen and we should accept that .

Yes. The bird in the hand theory of recruiting. Avoid last minute scrambles.

We all should know that I am generally a fan of the idea that "one in the hand is worth two in the bush."

So I certainly will not complain about this commitment at all. Kid seems to be intriguing. But I am just confused as to where he is going to be playing and how much is expected from him.

Does this push Cale to the 3 and he is our back up SG?... Does he become our second PG to go along with Walker (leaving Cale and Powell as our SGs)?... Is he serious depth at the SG (with Powell and Cale ahead of him) and second PG with Walker?

There are a lot of questions involving usage, depth and recruiting for the 2018 guards. But keyword is depth.

Do they think we aren't in good standing with 2018 point guards? How much do you recruit for the "now" vs developing freshman?

Do they think we aren't in good standing with 2018 point guards? How much do you recruit for the "now" vs developing freshman?

McKnight isn't a "now" recruit.

He will sit this season and have 2 years after that.

He's in the 2020 graduating class.

McKnight isn't a "now" recruit.

He will sit this season and have 2 years after that.

He's in the 2020 graduating class.
Actually his college eligibility expires after the 2019/2020 class but if he is track to graduate he graduates with the 2019 class.

Actually his college eligibility expires after the 2019/2020 class but if he is track to graduate he graduates with the 2019 class.

He could certainly not get what he wants PT in 2018-2019 and be a Grad transfer/student in 2019-2020 elsewhere or here. His eligibility does not expire.

True!

But the point is still accurate.

He's a transfer for the future. Not now.

2018 guards are far less a priority now with Walker, Powell, Cale, Gordon and this kid. Tells me they thought much higher of McKnight than any guard they could get for 2018 class.

I like the pickup, I just hope it doesn't hurt us with 2018 guards

Reactions: batts and mjs429
Having talented players on your roster is never a bad thing. We're starting to have big east level depth 9+ deep. Recruiting will figure itself out.. especially with so much turnover from year to year across college basketball.

With the 14' class graduating, i think it'll be nice to have another upperclassmen. One that already has a strong foundation and can grow and learn this year.

2018 guards are far less a priority now with Walker, Powell, Cale, Gordon and this kid. Tells me they thought much higher of McKnight than any guard they could get for 2018 class.

I can understand how you and others could reach that conclusion and you may be correct. I hope that is not the case as it would be disappointing that with five months left before the early signing period we're giving up on landing that high profile guard we've probably been recruiting for a couple of years . It's not like we're bringing in a player who played his college ball in a major conference nor someone that was highly regarded coming out of HS but a player coming from a low- major conference who was not recruited by any major program. He may ultimately prove to be a steal for us and I hope he is but I must admit I really wanted that high profile , heavily recruited HS guard that would say we can compete with the best for that type of player.

Reactions: shupat08 and mbraue
@dehere23
I think Cale is a small forward. I have to think one guard (Gordon most likely) transfers out. So, hopefully we can get one really good guard in '18

My son is a student at the other SHU and works for Bobby V. I've seen him there and no way he belonged on the same court as the other 9 guys. Kid was on another level. A local college coach said the only reason he want to Heart was because they were on him early and he's loyal. There were plenty of bigger schools sniffing around. This is a terrific get.

@dehere23
I think Cale is a small forward. I have to think one guard (Gordon most likely) transfers out. So, hopefully we can get one really good guard in '18
I personally dont think assigned positions or arguing if someone is a SF or SG matter as much in the NCAA as people seem to think. 5 of the top 6 players from nova's championship team (mins wise) were 6'6 and under. Get talent where you can and make it work.

This is 100% wrong. Jalen Carey is an absolute priority for 2018. Carey can play the 1 and 2 and his talent level is very high. There is no one in their right mind who would think McKnight is a better player than Carey.

I don't know what this signing says about Gordon. I would figure he has this year to prove to the coaches that he can play. Otherwise, I see him transferring. I think he is better than and end of the bench player. And that's what he will be here. He should go somewhere else to find PT.

Will not be easy to convince a kid like Carey to come here with a back court that includes Powell and McKnight as juniors and Walker and Cale as sophomores. All of those kids will expect to play big minutes, and that's not including Gordon.

Even if you want to include Cale as a wing you are going to have to sell a kid like Carey on some PT off the bat where he will no doubt have plenty of other solid options with PT available.

This is 100% wrong. Jalen Carey is an absolute priority for 2018. Carey can play the 1 and 2 and his talent level is very high. There is no one in their right mind who would think McKnight is a better player than Carey.

I don't know what this signing says about Gordon. I would figure he has this year to prove to the coaches that he can play. Otherwise, I see him transferring. I think he is better than and end of the bench player. And that's what he will be here. He should go somewhere else to find PT.

It also means the staff likely doesn't think we can get Quinerly or Luther. I don't think either are coming but have been told repeatedly on here that we are still in the fold.

Will not be easy to convince a kid like Carey to come here with a back court that includes Powell and McKnight as juniors and Walker and Cale as sophomores. All of those kids will expect to play big minutes, and that's not including Gordon.

Even if you want to include Cale as a wing you are going to have to sell a kid like Carey on some PT off the bat where he will no doubt have plenty of other solid options with PT available.

Reactions: shupat08
A player as talented as Carey knows he's going to not only get quality minutes at SH but will be given the opportunity to start from day 1 even with the guards currently on the roster . Would we be in a better position with him if McKnight had not opted to transfer to us is an unknown and all we can do is wait and see how this all plays out.

No doubt all these kids even outside top 100-150 think they are good enough to play immediately and play anywhere. But parents and advisors very much look at roster balance and depth at desired positions.

A player as talented as Carey knows he's going to not only get quality minutes at SH but will be given the opportunity to start from day 1 even with the guards currently on the roster . Would we be in a better position with him if McKnight had not opted to transfer to us is an unknown and all we can do is wait and see how this all plays out.

We don't have a chance at Luther.

Probably a prayer for Quinerly.

Most realistic is probably King, and that could be a long shot if the blue bloods are involved

Reactions: shupat08

Oh that doesn't tell me that at all. I just think they wanted a kid they could develop who has skills and can give them instant experience next year.
I think they want Jalen Carey and JAb as much now as before.
Plus they know "things happen" with rosters

Mike Brown when he was the lead recruiter for PJ always used to say that your team is getting better when the players you're bringing in are better then the players you're losing. The 2017 class of Cale, Sandro , Walker and McKnight are more talented then those who left the program like Thomas, Carter, Soffer , Singh and even Jones who played a key role in our success last year. I haven't included either Brodie or Gill because I see both as projects at this stage.

Which brings me to the class of 2018 where , because we lose the core four , needs to be as talented as the 2014 class in order for us to sustain what we've seen the last two years.e

Last edited:
Am all for the signing as I've stated. Prefer quality older players. Feel even better now given what people have said about this kids ability. But when you will have at minimum 2 juniors and 2 sophomores for backcourt minutes, all of whom you think will be good, we all should calibrate our expectations accordingly for what 2018 guard situation might be. This isn't a negative thing by any stretch - bird in the hand - but folks seem to be challenging the "most likely" reality of the situation.

Oh that doesn't tell me that at all. I just think they wanted a kid they could develop who has skills and can give them instant experience next year.
I think they want Jalen Carey and JAb as much now as before.
Plus they know "things happen" with rosters

In my opinion, top players don't mind waiting their turn to start on a team competing for their conference title and an NCAA bid. This coming year with Cale and last year with Powell, they didn't arrive having to be the man. When was he last time this happened for the Pirates?? Not every top recruit believes they should start from day one on every team. We've turned the corner and have become one of those schools. To state that we won't get any of the local players for 2018 because of our current lineup is crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT