ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic goals

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Of course anything can happen during a season. Injuries, upsets, etc. But what do you think are realistic goals for this team?

I'll start

Without knowing the exact schedule (and yes we are playing VCU) I say losing 2 games OOC.

Top 3 in the league at worst.

Reaching the final conference tourney game at MSG

Winning two games in the Dance.

Starting out top 20 or so in the polls. Finishing top 15 or so.

The above IMO is realistic. Obviously I hope the team exceeds what I posted.

Of course anything can happen during a season. Injuries, upsets, etc. But what do you think are realistic goals for this team.

I'll start

Without knowing the exact schedule (and yes we are playing VCU) I say losing 2 games OOC.

I agree with everything you typed and also hope the team outplays my expectations...

I can't wait for the Louisville game to get a first glimpse at what kind of potential this season has...

The only one I would question would be starting out Top 20. The opening rankings are usually stuffed with the big names. Do we have the name to get there after a first round exit in the tourney?

I think we will start in the top 20 to begin the season then drop out after 2 or 3 losses in the OOC then work our way up to 12 by the end of the Big East schedule. We will finish 2nd in the B.E. and get upset in the 1st round of the NCAA

I am anxious to know who SHU plays in the UA reunion game? Can we get an UCLA? Maryland, or do the go rematch with South Carolina?

I think we will start in the top 20 to begin the season then drop out after 2 or 3 losses in the OOC then work our way up to 12 by the end of the Big East schedule. We will finish 2nd in the B.E. and get upset in the 1st round of the NCAA
BOO....lol

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
my expectations for next year:

Top 3 in the Big East
Over/under for Conference wins; 13
Over/under for OOC wins; 9 (a little hard to say until we see the full schedule)
Make it to the BET Finals
Sweet 16 or better

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Agree with all.
Barring injuries, hope to make the second weekend .
But a strong Nova team was knocked out in the second round this year so who the hell knows.
But this might be the best team we've ever had. Depends on free throws and 3 point shooting. The defense and rebounding will be there.
Don't play hard? You sit and are replaced by someone just as good ( ex Delgado). At ;last we have the depth. However, I don't think effort will be an issue.
My worry- injuries.

Wichita State in the UA ! That would make for one hell of a game.
Top 2 BE Season
BET Champs
16 wins in conference
Sweet 16

Wichita State in the UA ! That would make for one hell of a game.
Top 2 BE Season
BET Champs
16 wins in conference
Sweet 16
16-2 in conference? Aggressive but I like it...ha. If that were to happen, The Hall would certainly be a top 10 team, maybe approaching top 5 assuming both of those losses aren't to Nova...

Yeah, even an optimist like myself thinks that ain't happening. The Big East is gonna be strong next season. Lots of games on the road, even for the elite teams are going to be struggles.

Anything can happen in one game, so I prefer to keep it to larger samples. I think this team has the talent to be top 3 in the conference and end the season in the top 20 which would generally equate to a top 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Obviously we all want at least one tournament win, so getting a top 5 seed puts us in great position to get that monkey off our back and make it to the 2nd weekend.

Reactions: Halldan1
I think the goal has to be the same every year. Get better every time you step on the court. Focusing on that will result in bigger things possible. Other goals like winning a BET championship or sweet 16 are so far away in November and December it's easy to lose focus. Keep the goals on a daily basis and results will follow.

You are correct. But you're responding as a coach.

Here we're fans speculating on the future.

After losing Whitehead last year, we had a big adjustment to make. I didn't think we'd be as good as 2015-16, but definitely NCAA-caliber. It took longer than expected, but we finally got there by the second half of the conference season.

We would've been looking at a similar situation this year had Delgado departed. Thankfully, we're whole again and ready to run. So, I think this is a Top 20-ish type of team to start this season, one that can battle for a Big East Championship and play on the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament.

Definitely higher expectations than last year. A great time to be a Pirate fan. Really looking forward to the season, especially a marquee home game with Indiana, the Pre-Season NIT at Barclay's, and the road game at Louisville. Should be an exciting season!!

Sweet 16 or bust.

As long as they stay healthy and can get steady play from the PG position, it is a very attainable goal.

Reactions: cernjSHU
24 or 25 wins. Top 3 in conference. Top 20 team for most of season. Expect team to get a four seed. If this occurs, ton of pressure to win first tournament game. Win the first game and this team could make a deep run. Sweet sixteen or Elite eight. Need to clear that first obstacle.

Last edited:
Reactions: shu09
Top 3 in the Big East
Making the Big East Championship (either as champ or runner-up)
Making the second weekend in the NCAA Tournament

I think those are very reasonable goals for the squad we'll have next season. Regarding the non-conference record, I'm going to hold off on making any predictions about that. I think the Big East record will be much more important. With how the schedule is setting up, it will be tough and I won't get too down if we lose a few toss-up games.

Reactions: Piratz
Stay Healthy.
Reduce turnovers.
Increase player movement.
Do not let anybody shoot 40% against us.
Finish in the top 320 in free throw shooting.

To me the key to the season and reaching all the lofty goals that have been posted is that we have to start hot and stay hot thru the OOC schedule and be on a roll going into BE play.

You guys are in for a rude awakening, these predictions are extremely lofty. Not to mention anything can happen in the NCAA Tournament. I think wining 1 game would be the goal and anythng on top of that is gravy. Lets keep things in realistic terms

Reactions: lloyde dobler
You guys are in for a rude awakening, these predictions are extremely lofty. Not to mention anything can happen in the NCAA Tournament. I think wining 1 game would be the goal and anythng on top of that is gravy. Lets keep things in realistic terms

Not for anything, but a goal is something that will be tough to achieve but attainable. One win in the tournament is expected at this point. That is not a goal.

I think having a goal to be at the Sweet 16 is not only attainable but it should be our minimum standard. Quite frankly, the goal is the Final Four. This will be obviously difficult but not out of the realm of possibility. Now that's a goal.

Goals should be lofty. They are something to aspire to. Making the NCAA Tournament is always the bar of a good season. But I think our current group has to be thinking higher right now. We're going to start 4 Seniors who have made the Tournament in consecutive seasons and are 0-2. They will not be satisfied with going 0-3 or 1-3 there in their careers.

Think bigger.

While I agree it's all about match-ups, if we have the type of season we're capable of, then we can play with anyone in either of those two games on the first weekend.

Not for anything, but a goal is something that will be tough to achieve but attainable. One win in the tournament is expected at this point. That is not a goal.

I think having a goal to be at the Sweet 16 is not only attainable but it should be our minimum standard. Quite frankly, the goal is the Final Four. This will be obviously difficult but not out of the realm of possibility. Now that's a goal.

If your goal is the final 4, why not set the goal to win while you are there? Seems kind of odd the goal is to get 2 wins away from being national champions.

Last edited:
2nd weekend of tourney (barring no injuries, suspensions, etc). I understand the tourney is about matchups but would be disappointed if the Hall can't achieve that. That's really the only thing I care about for this season. I'm assuming top 4 in league and maybe win BE conference tourney but need to be a factor in NCAAs.

- Losing 2 games OOC.

- Top 3 in the league at worst.

- Reaching semifinals in the conference tourney game at MSG

- Winning two games in the Dance.

The last one is the one I think may come up short.

Of course anything can happen during a season. Injuries, upsets, etc. But what do you think are realistic goals for this team?

I'll start

Without a proven pg not sure about your realistic goal. If Walker is as good as advertised and gets adjusted then I agree but if he needs a year to adjust then second round and out.

The enthusiasm in May is great. But let's face it, we have not won an NCAA game in nearly a dozen years and the the past two have shown just how hard that is. That being said

Top 20 all year
Top 3 BE
BET finals
Win at least one in NCAA

The only thing I disagree with is Sweet 16 or Bust and others who say that's all that matters to them. It's going to be an exciting season and I'm looking forward to savoring every game.

Reactions: TommyAlly
Without a proven pg not sure about your realistic goal. If Walker is as good as advertised and gets adjusted then I agree but if he needs a year to adjust then second round and out.

Spot on, the only thing that holds us back is consistent quality point guard play. That will get us a few times this year, hopefully not in March.

Agree with 2 lost games in OOC, wouldn't be shocked if we lose 3 due to the comp.

12-6 would be a very nice BE record, I think that's our max.

Finals of BE tourney

NCAA's -- all match ups, could get bounced again in the first round but I see a team with Elite 8 potential.

Point guard still has me worried about a meltdown at the worst possible moment. ( Arkansas )

Last edited:
2 OOC loses.

Top 25 ranking at beginning of BE play.

12+ BE regular season wins.

Top 3 in BE standing.

BET finals (let's win again!).

NCAA 2nd Weekend.

By the time NCAA comes around..Walker should be able to lead us to the final 8.
If not with this team ..then we may have a long wait.:rolleyes:

- Losing 2 games OOC.

- Top 3 in the league at worst.

- Reaching semifinals in the conference tourney game at MSG

- Winning two games in the Dance.

The last one is the one I think may come up short.
But if you can get by game 1 you never know if you play an upset in the next round. Who knows were due for an easy path

This team has Delgado and is talented but what makes everyone so confident it doesn't start out 3-6 in conf. Same team with just a little more backup. I'm always happy with tourney anything after is gravy

It really depends on where we are sent (Pittsburg, Charlotte, and then hopefully the Garden), the draw, and the match-ups.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT