ADVERTISEMENT

Rule needs to change

Bluebeard

All World
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
Who saw the end of Georgetown TCU ? Players steps out of bounds as he jacks a three as time expired. Ref standing right there is looking at the ball leave his hand with plenty of time, and not at his foot. Reply declares the shot counts since there was not rule in out of bounds during live action, therefore that can not be changed.

This would be an easy and indisputable fix. There's no way a team should lose when the opposition was clearly out of bounds. How did Cooley handle the call?

Reactions: Bluebeard
I understand him praising the refs, but the guy blew the call. He was standing right there and was looking up when the player was clearly right near the line. So is the clock the only thing to review there? That's an automatic review, right, the official doesn't have to ask for that. It was clearly out of his hand for a second, so why even go to the monitor???By the rule stating no official said he was out of bounds, so we can't even look at that on the monitor, is crazy.

So the logic above is as if the official said he was out of bounds and they went to the monitor and see that he wasn't, but the ball left his hand after the clock went to zero, would that still be good? Very stupid rule.

The guy was out of bounds. You cannot blow calls like that that literally change the outcome of the game in this day and age with the technology, IMO. It's too obvious. We know in 15 seconds sitting on our couch.

Who saw the end of Georgetown TCU ? Players steps out of bounds as he jacks a three as time expired. Ref standing right there is looking at the ball leave his hand with plenty of time, and not at his foot. Reply declares the shot counts since there was not rule in out of bounds during live action, therefore that can not be changed.
Only the NCAA would permit review as to whether the shot was for 3 or 2 but not whether the shooter was OOB.

Replays are used to get it right. I understand you can't check everything, but why not give coaches the same choices to ask for a review? Why have replays if you can't get the call right?

Replays are used to get it right. I understand you can't check everything, but why not give coaches the same choices to ask for a review? Why have replays if you can't get the call right?
This was an end of regulation scenario. What gets validated is was the shot released before time expired. The closest ref is looking for that not where the feet of the player are going. It is up to the full crew on the floor to act as a check and balance system. It was missed.

Cracks me up. 3 refs reviewing the play and there’s an egregious OOB yet nobody can use common sense and call it. What a world.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Any uproar should go to nabc and ncaa...they have rule changes every year...they can take this up

This would be an easy and indisputable fix. There's no way a team should lose when the opposition was clearly out of bounds. How did Cooley handle the call?
Suppose the replay shows a gu guy tripped a guy? Is the whole play up for review? I agree last night was bad.

This was an end of regulation scenario. What gets validated is was the shot released before time expired. The closest ref is looking for that not where the feet of the player are going. It is up to the full crew on the floor to act as a check and balance system. It was missed.
That's my point. If the play will always be reviewed to check if it left his hand before time expired, why is the ref looking at that? The player was in the air reaching for the ball heading out of bounds. THAT's what the ref should be looking at.

Since officials know they can review the shot to confirm/deny whether he got it off on time, the near official shouldn't even be watching the shot and he should've seen the guy step out of bounds. Gtown got screwed. Anyway, if you can review whether a shot got off in time to affect the outcome of a game, you need to be able to review all non-judgement end of game calls to make sure you get the outcome correct.

That’s also what happened at the end of the SHU-DePaul game at the tournament last year. They made the initial call without being sure so that it could be reviewed. Otherwise, no whistle, no review.

Reactions: Piratz
Cooley is a classy guy. I always say that a single call doesn't define the outcome, but it's hard to swallow the result of a missed call at the end of a game. Perhaps changing the rule so that every call, or non-call, in the final 60 seconds can be reviewed, would solve the problem.
That would make things so, so much worse.

Reactions: shu09

Referees can’t overturn TCU’s controversial buzzer-beater over Georgetown despite video replay​

By Dan Martin

What failed to be mentioned was the trailing ref did not do his job. Should have been looking at the player and seeing if he was in bounds instead of looking and calling a 3 point shot slightly past halfcourt.

There were two lead officials to make the obvious call. Anybody know who the ref was. Horrible job .

How many times at Hall games have we seen a player being called out of bounds on the offensive end. Also spoke to a few HS refs, friends of mine, who do not like to call out other refs but agreed the ref did not do his job in that situation and where he was located on the court.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT