ADVERTISEMENT

September Recruiting

Florida Gators land top-25 senior Malik Reneau, highest-ranked recruit since 2019​

Jeff Borzello
ESPN Staff Writer

Top-25 senior Malik Reneau announced his commitment to Florida on Wednesday, giving the Gators and coach Mike White their highest-ranked recruit since 2019.

Reneau chose Florida over a final four that also included Memphis, Miami and Florida State.

Reneau, a 6-foot-8 forward from Montverde Academy (Florida), boosted his stock over the summer with the Nightrydas Elite grassroots program. In 12 games on the Nike EYBL circuit, he averaged 17.2 points, 8.5 rebounds and 2.4 assists, while also adding 1.5 steals and 1.3 blocks on the defensive end. He had four double-doubles over that span, as well as a 27-point performance against Expressions Elite.

Ranked No. 24 in the ESPN for 2022, Reneau is the highest-ranked prospect to commit to Florida since five-star Scottie Lewis (No. 10) signed with the Gators in the 2019 class. He's the Gators' first commitment in the 2022 class.

Florida has several names on its wish list in 2022, with top-75 prospects Noah Clowney and Justyn Fernandez among the targets.

We are involved with at least 2 players from the class of 2022 from OSL.

I asked a few weeks back if we were recruiting that big kid Sunday as well.
I mean we got Rhoden and Davis and had Posh until Davis didn’t qualify and Willard got scared Posh wouldn’t also.
We are not involved with Sunday at this time.

Reactions: shupat08
I mean we got Rhoden and Davis and had Posh until Davis didn’t qualify and Willard got scared Posh wouldn’t also.
We are not involved with Sunday at this time.
I forgot about Davis because of his movement and all the ups/downs of his recruitment.

Reactions: thehall07
Really liked Davis and I think he will play well at Oregon St
Agreed. His recruitment was odd, too. My recall is folks thought he wanted to go to SJU under the prior regime but they were not really interested. So we end up getting him, and folks were somewhat lukewarm on that. Then he goes to JC b/c of grades and his prospects brighten. We want him back. SJU's new regime seems to want him back b/c of how his game translates to the new coach. And he ends up at Oregon State.

Reactions: LBP43 and thehall07
Seems pretty clear that owehs psu family roots make us the underdog for him. So I am glad to read about sanders and am hoping for good news.
I guess no news about his visit? I think he was going on his sju visit right after ours.

I guess no news about his visit? I think he was going on his sju visit right after ours.
Without knowing specifics that go into roster construction, it seems we have an inherent advantage here for purposes of selling PT. Aiken/Cale are for sure gone next year. We've all read between the lines on what Dan and others have posted on Richmond. He has multiple years left, but seems like he is going to turn pro sooner than later, and a strong year could lead him to being a one-and-done here. That leaves Long and Conway, with Weston/Powell profiling more as "wings" it seems.

Just looking at rosters, SJU has a few transfer options that are potential backcourt options but will be gone after this year. However, they will have Posh and Wusu (who Saunders knows I'm sure) as juniors. The Pinzon kid who is a freshman this year. Plus the two guards they already have commitments from for 2022. Their backcourt situation for 2022 seems much more crowded right now, which could help in the recruitment.

Different positions but I don’t think we have a good shot with Oweh anyway.
They’re both SG in every listing I’ve seen. I would love both, but with Harris also on board I’m not so sure both of them would commit.

Reactions: MABS11
They’re both SG in every listing I’ve seen. I would love both, but with Harris also on board I’m not so sure both of them would commit.
If you watched any of his games he isn’t a shooting guard right now , maybe by year 3 he would be but right now or next season he is a BE 3 man.

Interesting to see shooting drills from Jaquan Harris, Otega Oweh, and Jebron Harris (Jamir and Jaquan's younger brother).

This is the first video I've seen of Jebron, who I recall, from Carino's article earlier this year when Jamir and Jaquan committed, is the one who usually wins when they play H-O-R-S-E and will be a freshman at St. Thomas Aquinas this year.

Reactions: flconticello
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT