ADVERTISEMENT

SHU PF GOAT

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Next up the power positron. Probably not a lot of choices but the ones listed are good ones.

Marl Bryant
Jerry Walker
Eddie Griffin
Kelly Whitney
Someone else

For me it's Mary Bryant. He, along with Andre McCloud are my two favorite Pirates of all time. He's really the recruit that got PJ's run kick started. Had a great career at The Hall and a long one in the NBA as well.

1. Mark Bryant
2. Jerry Walker - nobody out worked him, nobody.

Without a doubt the most talented player was Griffin and it's not close. But his one year at the school was a rocky one to say the least and his troubled life was eventually extinguished in a horrific accident after he played in the NBA as a one and done.

Jerry Walker is known as the heart and soul of SHU basketball and beloved by all as he should be.

But to me it's Mark Bryant. He had an illustrious career while scoring over 1900 points and was the forerunner for our 1989 NCAA FF team.

Ok so I'll go with Mark Bryant, Darryl Walker. If Walker's prayer at the buzzer went in, he'd be the greatest figure in SHU basketball history. Dehere might have had to wear a different number.

My List

1) Mark Bryant 20 pts 9 reb senior year
2) Jerry Walker
3) Kelly Whitney -15 pts and almost 8 reb in senior year
4) Darryl Walker
5) Donnell Williams -Had that sweet outside shot. Should have been in the paint more
6) Duane Jordan
7) Pat Auda
8) Robert Mitchell
9) Brandon Mobley

Eddie Griffin had the single best year (17.8 pts, 10.8 reb, 4.4 blocks) and had the most talent to be #1. But only played one year.

I will say Bryant, then Walker. But I don't think any SHU big had a more productive three years than Jerry.

Mark Bryant
Jerry Walker
Kelly Whitney

Eddie Griffin (RIP) is akin to an Andrew Gaze. You could make an argument that both had the single-best season of any at PF and SF, respectively, but both were one-hit wonders.

Next up the power positron. Probably not a lot of choices but the ones listed are good ones.

Marl Bryant
Jerry Walker
Eddie Griffin
Kelly Whitney
Someone else

I think I echo what a lot of folks have said..Bryant, as much for what he did on the court, as being the courageous one to start the ball rolling for recruiting at the Hall.

Walker I loved, so have him next.

Griffin....extremely talented....extremely frustrating.....one of the most disappointing seasons ever....so, cant vote him that high...its about results, and he didnt achieve them

Bryant
J. Walker
D. Walker
Whitney

Jerry Walker was my favorite but got to give slight edge to Mark Bryant.

Griffin....extremely talented....extremely frustrating.....one of the most disappointing seasons ever....so, cant vote him that high...its about results, and he didnt achieve them
He did in a sense. But they were individual goals not team ones. An incredibly selfish but unbelievably talented player. I have no doubt he was the most gifted player to ever don a SHU uniform.

And yes, I know older players pre Big East were stars in their own eras. And yes I think they could play play now and do very well. But nobody had the abilities on the court that Griffin did. And the shame of it all is he wasted them in so many ways.

He was a Big East ROY and very well could have been the best player in the league in his only season here.

Reactions: Piratz and cernjSHU
I still cringe at Griffin playing entirely for himself during that second half collapse against Rutgers at the Meadowlands.

Another thing about D. Walker that we would crave today is that he was an extremely good foul shooter.

I still cringe at Griffin playing entirely for himself during that second half collapse against Rutgers at the Meadowlands.

Another thing about D. Walker that we would crave today is that he was an extremely good foul shooter.
Great comment re d walker. He really developed in his time at shu. Was so terrific in 89. And yes, the fts...

Walker was always a good player. You aren't honored as the NY State POY in HS without being very good.

His problem was that for three years he played behind Mark Bryant and didn't have a chance to come into his own until Bryant graduated.

Jerry Walker.

I have a major Jerry bias. He was one of my all-time favorite Big East players before I was even considering colleges. I can't pick someone else. My brain and fingers won't allow me to type another name.

Bryant
J. Walker
D. Walker
Whitney

Jerry Walker was my favorite but got to give slight edge to Mark Bryant.
Feel exactly the same way. Don't think I totally appreciated Bryant until after seeing how he parlayed the college experience into a long pro career. He was the kid that took the challenge to rebuild the program. Jerry and Daryl because they were tough "D" guys and always found a way to get it done.

Although I had Jerry Walker ranked just below Mark Bryant, he was certainly a guy that was easy to root for and an all time favorite of mine as well. Guy just always "brought his lunch pail" and did everything and anything he could to succeed. How could you not love watching him play?

Funny story re: Jerry Walker and my father (who played at The Hall - Gerry Mackey Class of '68). We were at an alumni basketball game at The Meadowlands, probably 15+ years ago. My Dad was still playing in them then and before the game Jerry Walker was talking to everyone in the locker room about playing hard but also not showing anyone up, just playing "cuz" basketball (ie cousin basketball as he referred to it) of letting guys score, matador defense, etc.

Needless to say, there was a play where my Dad had the ball all alone on a "fast break" and as he went in for the layup, Walker came out of nowhere and blocked his shot maybe 5-6 rows deep into the stands. My father jokingly asked him what that was about and he just shrugged and said something to the effect of "sorry, I couldn't help myself"...

Believe me, my Dad hasn't lived that down in our family since then...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT