ADVERTISEMENT

Walker vs Duval

jim34238

All American
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2004
I know Walker played well against Quinnerly, but did he ever play against Duval and ,if so, how did he make out?

They played each other at RC. Great game. Each had their strengths. Duval was stronger but Jordan was lightening quick. He held his own, but Tre is from another planet.

They played against each other twice and IMG won both. Duval played great but Walker held his own. They didn't guard each other often as IMG has 2 smaller guards who get a lot of minutes.

Duval is in a class by himself but Walker made plays in his own right. The 2nd game we all saw live, Jordan showed off his skills. Even on the court filled with high major studs, his quickness stood out as elite. A lot of his shots missed by a hair and St Pats was without their McDonald All-American Nick Richards. If he was playing it would have helped Walker and Pats tremendously.

Reactions: Bluebeard
Fwiw, Richards was suspended for the game we watched at RC. Walker played well. I do think Jordan is a better 3 pt shooter. But duval takes it to the hoop like a man. Duval's physical tools make him stand out, specially over walker, but I thought at rc the delta between the two was not large. Not saying they are close, but that day they were. I bet if you go back to th threads that day, most loved how jordan played

Reactions: shupat08
If this is the case, why are people so concerned about him running the point from the go.
The little I saw, he looks like the missing piece.

The only matchup that matters now is the matchup that they will have going forward hopefully in the sweet 16 of the 2018 Big Dance

If this is the case, why are people so concerned about him running the point from the go.

I saw him play about 5 times, he was all-world against Linden. But against St. Anthony's, I got concerned when Alexander Rice picked his pocket, and Walker let his assignments drive by him into the lanes too often (but maybe that's part of Pat's defensive scheme for the guards to take chances because the trees will bail them out). Your point was running the offense and my responses are all defense, I know. But that and subsequent performances took my very amateur talent evaluation from certainty to "I dunno." Overall, though, I'm quite happy with the pickup. Another great team player. Loved reading that he felt he didn't do well the first time against Duval (last year, was it?), self-awareness is a good thing.

I saw him play about 5 times, he was all-world against Linden. But against St. Anthony's, I got concerned when Alexander Rice picked his pocket, and Walker let his assignments drive by him into the lanes too often (but maybe that's part of Pat's defensive scheme for the guards to take chances because the trees will bail them out). Your point was running the offense and my responses are all defense, I know. But that and subsequent performances took my very amateur talent evaluation from certainty to "I dunno." Overall, though, I'm quite happy with the pickup. Another great team player. Loved reading that he felt he didn't do well the first time against Duval (last year, was it?), self-awareness is a good thing.

Good response!

Stepping in and running the point from day 1 is not easy. Greene, Hurley, Caver, Sha, Barrett, Harvey, Theodore, all endured struggles as freshmen. If the 4 seniors around him can take the pressure off him, he may be in a great spot to have less struggles as a freshman than some of those did.

He doesn't have to overdo it. Lean on those Seniors. Let them do it. Important element for Walker tom understand.

Don't try to steal the show.

Reactions: ShuVol
Stepping in and running the point from day 1 is not easy. Greene, Hurley, Caver, Sha, Barrett, Harvey, Theodore, all endured struggles as freshmen. If the 4 seniors around him can take the pressure off him, he may be in a great spot to have less struggles as a freshman than some of those did.

Your point is true for the most part. However, I thought Sha and Harvey were pretty damn good as freshman.

Caver was backing up Ollie Taylor and many people thought he should have supplanted Taylor as the starter. Barrett had some ups and downs as a freshman starter but so did the entire team..

Reactions: BabyBlue
This in a nut shell. The fact that he has 4 seniors in the starting lineup would of course help him moving forward. But I remember talking to Madison Jones, a 5th year senior who played in the ACC and he told me it took him time to get used to playing with his new teammates and understanding what the staff wanted from him.

Measure that against a freshmen coming in who hasn't played one second of college ball. I don't think many would argue that Walker is a better BB player than Jones. But he won't be initially. So I hope out fans understand that and let Jordan Walker grow at his own pace.

Your point is true for the most part. However, I thought Sha and Harvey were pretty damn good as freshman.

Caver was backing up Ollie Taylor and many people thought he should have supplanted Taylor as the starter. Barrett had some ups and downs as a freshman starter but so did the entire team..
Difference should be minutes. Both Sha and Andre played a lot of minutes as freshman. Barrett averaged 32 mpg and Shaheen averaged 37 mpg. That should not happen with Walker. Walker will also have a much better team around him than those two great PGs did. They set the bar high (Sha averaged 6 assists per game and Andre 5.4 - ridiculous for freshman) but did struggle in their first year but it's because they played the whole game and ran less talented teams from Day 1. Walker will be surrounded by a much better team and should play 15-20 pg IMO which is a perfect way to get a PG started. Hope it works out that way for us and for him.

Agree with this. There's no doubt on offense Walker would be our best option at the point from day 1. He can shoot. He's been called the best post feeder in the nation, so if he just does that, we'd be in good shape.

What everyone is underestimating is the other half of the game. Willard has never shied away from saying defense is his number 1 priority. He spends most of the practice time teaching defensive technique. While Walker's quickness allows him to make up for his size, there are going to be opponents where the matchup makes Walker a liability. I've mentioned it before, but Nova took Junior Robinson out of the first round NCAA game with Brunson and last DiVincenzo posting him up. And Louisville, Xavier, etc would probably be pretty well equipped to do the same. And it's not like this is something we are unfamiliar with as a fan base - Duhon posted Barrett up in Andre's final game.

So although we all cringe at the idea of Deeno playing the 1, it's a trade off to maximize the defensive side of the ball. Willard looks at the benefit of having 5 capable defenders out there, weighs it against losing some scoring from having Deeno at the point, and factors in the added scoring we should get from a more experienced Powell and an incoming Cale, and likes where we come out.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT