ADVERTISEMENT

Wear a mask

We will have no choice soon! And please remember this mask mandate will survive long past the Coronavirus. The CDC will mandate mask wearing for anything indoors even after the Coronavirus. The reasoning behind this will be to "Stop the next potential pandemic" and "stop the spread of other respiratory illnesses". I'm not looking forward to this!

Wearing a mask is just like wearing a tinfoil hat so shouldn’t be too big of an adjustment for you.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
Strong leadership by Murphy. First state to mandate and many others are following suit. In fact I wish it was culturally acceptable earlier like it is in Asia, like Japan. We may not have had to quarantine at all if the administration suggested masks at the beginning rather then stating they don’t help.

Was it strong leadership when Murphy sent sick patients into nursing homes?

Now he's playing petty political games by not opening indoor dining and gyms. Those were two of the industries that stood up to the dictator and now he is being vindictive. This is not about your health. This is about control, pure and simple.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
Was it strong leadership when Murphy sent sick patients into nursing homes?

Now he's playing petty political games by not opening indoor dining and gyms. Those were two of the industries that stood up to the dictator and now he is being vindictive. This is not about your health. This is about control, pure and simple.
if restaurants and asshats we better behaved last weekend there would be indoor dining this weekend

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
if restaurants and asshats we better behaved last weekend there would be indoor dining this weekend

It's not that. He specifically cited some phony "science" about how it has been proven to cause issues out of state. The governor and his health commissioner are absolutely clueless and have been from the start. Ship without a rudder.

It's not that. He specifically cited some phony "science" about how it has been proven to cause issues out of state. The governor and his health commissioner are absolutely clueless and have been from the start. Ship without a rudder.

if this is the worst run state then what is going on in all the states where the virus is exploding now

New Jersey and New York have by far the highest rate of fatalities per 100,000. No other states even remotely close.

Because it was spreading like crazy here before we knew it was even here and before it hit anywhere else.

Other states had the opportunity to see that it was here first and to prepare. Every state did a good job mitigating the risks. We were containing the spread and hospitalizations across the country were consistently declining. Then certain states opened up and the citizens didn’t take it seriously enough and hospitalizations are increasing.

New Jersey and New York have by far the highest rate of fatalities per 100,000. No other states even remotely close.
And what other area has as many airports, transit hubs with the amont of volume, come on man

Because it was spreading like crazy here before we knew it was even here and before it hit anywhere else.

Other states had the opportunity to see that it was here first and to prepare. Every state did a good job mitigating the risks. We were containing the spread and hospitalizations across the country were consistently declining. Then certain states opened up and the citizens didn’t take it seriously enough and hospitalizations are increasing.
Let’s just count deaths per hundred thousand when this is all said and done. That’s really the only number that matters.

Remember when you said this?
Like I said earlier, I recall reading a story from a researcher indicating that infections are weakening. Also in speaking with a couple of hospital folks, they have shared that the cases they are seeing are not as severe and length of stay is less on average. I would guess we will see some retrospective data at some point.

That would possibly account for why fatalities in NY & NJ have a higher rate of fatality per 100,000. You always have such great stories to tell.

Let’s just count deaths per hundred thousand when this is all said and done. That’s really the only number that matters.

Yup. That's today's story. Except when this is what matters -

Not to beat a dead horse, but the only two stats that really a matter are hospital capacity and fatalities. Fatalities have flattened out even with the increase in cases.

You always have such great stories to tell.

That would possibly account for why fatalities in NY & NJ have a higher rate of fatality per 100,000. You always have such great stories to tell.
The troll is back!
Fatality rates in New Jersey are high because Murphy shit the bed with nursing homes.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0

Yep, beat me to that one.

Looking for a stat just to say “see, NJ is worse”?
It’s kind of odd.

we should be getting better in treating people. The death rate should decline as we learn more. Thats what happens. We take the lessons we learn from New York and NJ and apply them elsewhere.

One of those lessons was that masks work to help lower the spread.

Hospitalizations should not be going up.

The troll is back!
Fatality rates in New Jersey are high because Murphy shit the bed with nursing homes.

Yup. Remember when you told us this?

There is one school of thought from researchers that it is weakening although I think we are also doing a better job of protecting the most at risk populations as well. We are also seeing that medical professionals are triaging pateints better and not venting them so quickly. Acting on the data.

We made tragically bad decisions in those early days, but now states are acting on the data and doing a better job.

The troll is back!

Covid patient from a nursing home gets discharged from a hospital. Where do they go?

How many of the deaths were from discharged patients vs patients who contracted the virus from nursing home staff?

Covid patient from a nursing home gets discharged from a hospital. Where do they go?

How many of the deaths were from discharged patients vs patients who contracted the virus from nursing home staff?
Why don’t you ask the states that managed this successfully? Some states discharged them to a quarantined facility, so as not to expose other patients.

And what other area has as many airports, transit hubs with the amont of volume, come on man
Vast majority of those deaths are elderly in nursing homes. What has that have to do with airports and transit?

Vast majority of those deaths are elderly in nursing homes. What has that have to do with airports and transit?
You just want to count deaths, i care about positives and hospitalizations that didnt end up in the morgue...international and domestic travel via air and train leads to more exposure

Just to confirm. People on this board are fine with the government mandating mask wearing indoors for the next 20 years?

You just want to count deaths, i care about positives and hospitalizations that didnt end up in the morgue...international and domestic travel via air and train leads to more exposure
People get sick and recover from various illnesses every day. Are you obsessed with all of those infections and episodes? The focus needs to be on minimizing fatalities.

Positive tests don’t mean much if they are successfully treated and recover. Every news outlet is pointing to young people as the biggest culprits of poor social distancing and lack of masks. That’s understandable.

Why don’t you ask the states that managed this successfully? Some states discharged them to a quarantined facility, so as not to expose other patients.

That’s not the whole story though. Again, it was here first, before we had any testing capacity and NJ changed the rule in early April that facilities had to be able quarantine those with Covid to take patients back.

It was already in the nursing homes and studies have shown you are most contagious right before your symptoms start. Do you know how long you are contagious after you have been sick?

How did it get to the nursing homes in the first place? Obviously not from discharged patients. Maybe from the nursing staff who was not quarantined, and not yet given a test and didn't know they were infected?

And as it spread to other states the extra time gave them the opportunity to establish better protocols for non residents at the facilities?

If the policy caused the virus to be introduced to a facility where no patients were previously infected, I would agree that you could blame him for that. My understanding right now though is that is not the case.

People get sick and recover from various illnesses every day. Are you obsessed with all of those infections and episodes? The focus needs to be on minimizing fatalities.

Positive tests don’t mean much if they are successfully treated and recover. Every news outlet is pointing to young people as the biggest culprits of poor social distancing and lack of masks. That’s understandable.

It's not that they are getting it, it's that they are not taking precautions and are spreading it to others who do not do as well when infected which is why hospitalizations are increasing.

It's not that they are getting it, it's that they are not taking precautions and are spreading it to others who do not do as well when infected which is why hospitalizations are increasing.
There seems to be an issue primarily with youth. Bars, beaches, restaurants, parties.

That’s not the whole story though. Again, it was here first, before we had any testing capacity and NJ changed the rule in early April that facilities had to be able quarantine those with Covid to take patients back.

It was already in the nursing homes and studies have shown you are most contagious right before your symptoms start. Do you know how long you are contagious after you have been sick?

How did it get to the nursing homes in the first place? Obviously not from discharged patients. Maybe from the nursing staff who was not quarantined, and not yet given a test and didn't know they were infected?

And as it spread to other states the extra time gave them the opportunity to establish better protocols for non residents at the facilities?

If the policy caused the virus to be introduced to a facility where no patients were previously infected, I would agree that you could blame him for that. My understanding right now though is that is not the case.
This is a nice list of your opinions but it doesn’t really have any factual basis.

This is a nice list of your opinions but it doesn’t really have any factual basis.

And blaming Murphy for deaths is based on what?

My post was based on the facts that we know, and my assessment of Murphy being responsible for the deaths based on those facts.

Based on the facts as we know them, I am not convinced the number of deaths would be materially different had we been able to establish facilities to quarantine those who were discharged from the hospital.

If you have facts that would support your opinion, I’m all ears, but you need to be able to answer how the virus got into these facilities and how long people are contagious.

There seems to be an issue primarily with youth. Bars, beaches, restaurants, parties.

Right. Young people are acting like life is normal, and then after they get infected at a bar, they end up at a grocery store or whatever and infect others. It’s not a coincidence that hospitalizations are going up.

They should have used the so called “field hospitals” for these patients. Instead they wanted to look like heroes, and instead asked for only the healthiest of hospital patients. Apparently they forgot their own order banning elective procedures, ie healthier patients... so they received very few patients. A waste of time and effort.

Reactions: shu09 and SPK145
And blaming Murphy for deaths is based on what?

My post was based on the facts that we know, and my assessment of Murphy being responsible for the deaths based on those facts.

Based on the facts as we know them, I am not convinced the number of deaths would be materially different had we been able to establish facilities to quarantine those who were discharged from the hospital.

If you have facts that would support your opinion, I’m all ears, but you need to be able to answer how the virus got into these facilities and how long people are contagious.
The facts are more people per 100,000 have died in the state of New Jersey Then any other state… By far. The fact also are that most of those were nursing home patients. Murphy is in charge. That’s what happens when you’re a leader. You are responsible for the good and bad.

There was an article I remember posting that identified several states that released nursing home patients that had been hospitalized into separate quarantine facilities. I believe Florida may have been one of them.

Last edited:
Just to confirm. People on this board are fine with the government mandating mask wearing indoors for the next 20 years?
I am fine with a mandate to wear masks to prevent the CoVid pandemic. Once this is over, there is no need for the masks. But during this time, it helps reduce the spread of the disease. I don’t know why this is such an issue with you.

They should have used the so called “field hospitals” for these patients. Instead they wanted to look like heroes, and instead asked for only the healthiest of hospital patients. Apparently they forgot their own order banning elective procedures, ie healthier patients... so they received very few patients. A waste of time and effort.

The patients were discharged from a hospital. The additional hospital space was created to deal with the unknown. We didn’t know what was going to happen then. We didn’t know what capacity we needed.

These would have needed to be entirely separate facilities, and if you want to make that argument, that’s fine... but like I said, I haven’t seen anything to suggest that would have had an impact on deaths.

The facts are more people per 100,000 have died in the state of New Jersey Then any other state… By far. The fact also are that most of those were nursing home patients. Murphy is in charge. That’s what happens when you’re a leader. You are responsible for the good and bad.

There was an article I remember posting that identified several states that released nursing home patients that had been hospitalized into separate quarantine facilities. I believe Florida may have been one of them.

It hit NJ before we had any testing capacity to identify cases.

If you want to blame Murphy for poor leadership or whatever, that’s fine... but if you are suggesting that mandating nursing homes readmit discharged Covid patients is THE reason why deaths are higher in NJ than other states, then I think that is an opinion which ignores many of the surrounding facts.

The patients were discharged from a hospital. The additional hospital space was created to deal with the unknown. We didn’t know what was going to happen then. We didn’t know what capacity we needed.

These would have needed to be entirely separate facilities, and if you want to make that argument, that’s fine... but like I said, I haven’t seen anything to suggest that would have had an impact on deaths.
NY and NJ had field hospitals that were equipped and ready to take excess Non-COVID patients but chose not to use them.

I am fine with a mandate to wear masks to prevent the CoVid pandemic. Once this is over, there is no need for the masks. But during this time, it helps reduce the spread of the disease. I don’t know why this is such an issue with you.

I just ignore the multiple year stuff.
This will phase out through a vaccine or herd immunity If we fail to get a vaccine at some point.
Wearing a mask is a short term bandaid. It will never be a long term solution.

It hit NJ before we had any testing capacity to identify cases.

If you want to blame Murphy for poor leadership or whatever, that’s fine... but if you are suggesting that mandating nursing homes readmit discharged Covid patients is THE reason why deaths are higher in NJ than other states, then I think that is an opinion which ignores many of the surrounding facts.
It doesn’t take much to realize that elderly are most at risk with a respiratory virus, and we knew by what happened in Washington state.

NY and NJ had field hospitals that were equipped and ready to take excess Non-COVID patients but chose not to use them.

They were setup to deal with us potentially exceeding 100% capacity because of Covid.
We are talking about what to do with discharges once they no longer need to be in a hospital.

It doesn’t take much to realize that elderly are most at risk with a respiratory virus, and we knew by what happened in Washington state.

How did the virus get into these facilities? How long are people contagious?

They were setup to deal with us potentially exceeding 100% capacity because of Covid.
We are talking about what to do with discharges once they no longer need to be in a hospital.
You’re missing the point. The facilities were never even put into service. Hospital capacity was never stressed.

You’re missing the point. The facilities were never even put into service. Hospital capacity was never stressed.

We over prepared for what we didn’t know. Exactly as we should do. Err on the side of caution to support capacity.

Those facilities were not set up to take in patients who were discharged from hospitals, and the policy in NJ changed so nursing homes could not readmit patients unless they could quarantine them a week after the first field hospital was set up. So your basically arguing over a week?

So the question is, would outcomes be much different if we quarantined them at a separate facility or quarantined them at nursing facilities? I’ll concede it’s possible, but I don’t think it’s likely based on what I discussed here.

I just think blaming him for the number of deaths is disingenuous and ignores a lot of facts to get to that conclusion.

There are other areas where he does deserve blame and I don’t like how he has handled the reopening. I’m just not going to fault him for a virus spreading in nursing homes before we really knew it was here and before we were testing people.

I don't have an issue with with wearing a mask during time of COVID. I haven't left my house in 3 months and now I wear a mask in my house. But I do have an issue when we will be wearing a mask after COVID as well. The government will never get rid of this mandate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT