ADVERTISEMENT

Wear a mask

We over prepared for what we didn’t know. Exactly as we should do. Err on the side of caution to support capacity.

Those facilities were not set up to take in patients who were discharged from hospitals, and the policy in NJ changed so nursing homes could not readmit patients unless they could quarantine them a week after the first field hospital was set up. So your basically arguing over a week?

So the question is, would outcomes be much different if we quarantined them at a separate facility or quarantined them at nursing facilities? I’ll concede it’s possible, but I don’t think it’s likely based on what I discussed here.

I just think blaming him for the number of deaths is disingenuous and ignores a lot of facts to get to that conclusion.

There are other areas where he does deserve blame and I don’t like how he has handled the reopening. I’m just not going to fault him for a virus spreading in nursing homes before we really knew it was here and before we were testing people.
What do you mean about the facilities not being set-up? Murphy and Cuomo directed the readmissions. Other governors did not purposefully. Other governors made sure the nursing home staff had PPE as a priority.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
Right. Young people are acting like life is normal, and then after they get infected at a bar, they end up at a grocery store or whatever and infect others. It’s not a coincidence that hospitalizations are going up.

As they should. I wish the rest of the country would follow suit. This is not a super deadly virus.

Or wear a mask to not kill old people until we have a vaccine? Really that hard?

We are talking about young people. The quicker you let it run its course through young people, the quicker we get to herd immunity which protects the old people. Not a difficult concept.

Just to confirm. People on this board are fine with the government mandating mask wearing indoors for the next 20 years?
The patients were discharged from a hospital. The additional hospital space was created to deal with the unknown. We didn’t know what was going to happen then. We didn’t know what capacity we needed.

These would have needed to be entirely separate facilities, and if you want to make that argument, that’s fine... but like I said, I haven’t seen anything to suggest that would have had an impact on deaths.

working on a hospital I can tell you that is what the industry was asking to have done. But didn’t interest those in Trenton

Reactions: HALL85
NY and NJ had field hospitals that were equipped and ready to take excess Non-COVID patients but chose not to use them.

There basically were no non COVID patients except moms and babies and severe events (ie active heart attack). The field hospitals wanted none of those and to be honest those are not the appropriate patients for a makeshift hospital

We over prepared for what we didn’t know. Exactly as we should do. Err on the side of caution to support capacity.

Those facilities were not set up to take in patients who were discharged from hospitals, and the policy in NJ changed so nursing homes could not readmit patients unless they could quarantine them a week after the first field hospital was set up. So your basically arguing over a week?

So the question is, would outcomes be much different if we quarantined them at a separate facility or quarantined them at nursing facilities? I’ll concede it’s possible, but I don’t think it’s likely based on what I discussed here.

I just think blaming him for the number of deaths is disingenuous and ignores a lot of facts to get to that conclusion.

There are other areas where he does deserve blame and I don’t like how he has handled the reopening. I’m just not going to fault him for a virus spreading in nursing homes before we really knew it was here and before we were testing people.

I do think the spread would have been less, yes. Quarantining COVID patients together until the virus runs its course minimizes the spread. In fact, it got to the point where hospitals were cohorting COVID patients in the same room. Obviously spread of the virus was not an issue.
Putting them back into I’ll equipped and unprepared Nursing Homes was not a good idea.

They were indeed put into service. Just not utilized properly
Thanks, but where? We were alerted that hospitals were planned on being set up at East Stroudsburg Univesity, Atlantic City Convention Hall and the Lacouris Center in Philly. None ever had a patient.

I do think the spread would have been less, yes. Quarantining COVID patients together until the virus runs its course minimizes the spread. In fact, it got to the point where hospitals were cohorting COVID patients in the same room. Obviously spread of the virus was not an issue.
Putting them back into I’ll equipped and unprepared Nursing Homes was not a good idea.
And by spreading out the COVID patients it put more healthcare workers at risk.

We are talking about young people. The quicker you let it run its course through young people, the quicker we get to herd immunity which protects the old people. Not a difficult concept.
Are they isolating after they get it?

You’re describing the areas where it is spreading and hospitalizations are increasing because those young people give it to old people.

We aren’t getting to herd immunity with just young adults. Herd immunity would require it running its course through a large population of people more at risk of dying.

If we had no hope for a vaccine, I’d see your point because the outcome is inevitable. Right now, a vaccine is likely in the near future and spreading this to at risk populations is preventable. Wearing a mask in public until we have a vaccine buys us time.

I don’t disagree it wasn’t a good idea, but we also changed the policy soon after it was implemented so the facilities had to be able to quarantine. But like I said, I would put the blame on Murphy it he cause Covid to be introduced at a facility which did not previously have infections. I don’t believe that was the case. It was already at these facilities.

I don’t disagree it wasn’t a good idea, but we also changed the policy soon after it was implemented so the facilities had to be able to quarantine. But like I said, I would put the blame on Murphy it he cause Covid to be introduced at a facility which did not previously have infections. I don’t believe that was the case. It was already at these facilities.
Not blaming Murphy for everything, but at some point there needs to be recognition that he is in charge and accountable for the results. NJ now highest number of deaths per 100,000 (170). California is 1/10 of that number (16)....Florida (17).

We are beyond the point of containment. Number of cases in the world what’s the highest yesterday. Priority should be protecting those who are at the highest risk as well as healthcare worker exposure. Most elderly or those with comorbities should be assessing their exposure points and taking necessary steps to isolate or limit public at-risk exposure.

We are a long way away from having an effective and safe vaccine. There are more and more treatments that are showing encouraging results and hospitalized patients are recovering and/or not going on ventilators. It is a much more treatable disease today than it was four months ago.

The more I look back it looks like my predictions have been correct. I was called a "Dummy" and "moron" on this board for saying Florida and Georgia opened too early. It looks like they were indeed the wrong moves by the great governor's of these states. Now the infections rates in these great states are skyrocketing.

Also looks like the state governor's are now pushing for a national mask mandate. Like I have said I don't have a problem with the mask requirement for COVID. But I do know that the government will never get rid of this mask mandate when the Coronavirus is over. I was saying we will be wearing masks for the rest of our lives. And with this mask mandate that will truly happen. I guess the pro mask people on this board are also fine with wearing makes for the rest of their lives.

You’re describing the areas where it is spreading and hospitalizations are increasing because those young people give it to old people.

We aren’t getting to herd immunity with just young adults. Herd immunity would require it running its course through a large population of people more at risk of dying.

If we had no hope for a vaccine, I’d see your point because the outcome is inevitable. Right now, a vaccine is likely in the near future and spreading this to at risk populations is preventable. Wearing a mask in public until we have a vaccine buys us time.

Screen-Shot-2020-07-05-at-2-36-25-PM.png

seems like texas might want to prep some extra hospital capacity just in case. but i mean, if you guys are sure....

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
I mean we have no choice, but not really, no. We should have a unified federal response, obviously
Why? Each state has unique characteristics and Texas death rate per 100,000 is among the lowest in the nation.

Reactions: shu09
Why? Each state has unique characteristics and Texas death rate per 100,000 is among the lowest in the nation.

Two dead horses in Texas.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the only two stats that really a matter are hospital capacity and fatalities. Fatalities have flattened out even with the increase in cases.

Now death rate per 100,000 is the only thing that matters. You always tell such great stories.

No I’m not going to do it because it’s Sunday and I’m not some loser doing some stranger’s homework. You do it

Lmao you've just been some loser on a message board all day arguing. Hilarious to read your stupid arguments after a great day at the beach.

I love the I'm not going to tell you what my argument is, you need to figure out my argument line of debate. Loser.

Lmao you've just been some loser on a message board all day arguing. Hilarious to read your stupid arguments after a great day at the beach.

I love the I'm not going to tell you what my argument is, you need to figure out my argument line of debate. Loser.

Actually I’m on the beach right now. And it’s a bigger nicer beach than yours

Chicago, LA.
+1. The initial contact tracing data showed that most of the infected patients from China came to the U.S. through Europe and into NYC and through Japan into LA, SF and Seattle. And once again, most of the dead in NY, NJ and PA were nursing homes.

Ah, moving the goalposts, I see. First it was "where were we going to put them?" I can tell you that several decommissioned hospitals were readied for the "surge," and were never used. Whether or not these facilities already had COVID in their community is immaterial. They were putting CONFIRMED (and suspected) positives back in nursing homes, a policy put in place shortly after NYS did. Both NJ and NY have a greater absolute number and percentage of deaths of those in LTC facilities. You can keep defending Murphy on this, but I'm not buying it.

Reactions: HALL85 and SPK145
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT