ADVERTISEMENT

Val is heard re NET

too little too late. i want 7 big east teams in the tournament next year. NET is just a cover for the fact they just do whatever they want. it blew up in their face big time this year, so next year i wanna see 7 teams no matter the criteria. just pick and choose what works.

Let’s just go and win the NIT and make them look foolish. There are a bunch of 20+ win teams who deserved to be in. Honestly the way to eliminate this crap is to expand to 96. Bottom 64 teams play 1 extra game. Instead of first 4 it’s the first 32. It’s basically the 32 in the NIT. There are many teams in this tournament that were more deserving than some of the teams in the NCAA.

Let’s just go and win the NIT and make them look foolish. There are a bunch of 20+ win teams who deserved to be in. Honestly the way to eliminate this crap is to expand to 96. Bottom 64 teams play 1 extra game. Instead of first 4 it’s the first 32. It’s basically the 32 in the NIT. There are many teams in this tournament that were more deserving than some of the teams in the NCAA.
The answer/solution is not to have 96 teams. You’d then have way too many teams in the tournament. Every year teams are upset for being left out. This year it really hit home since it affected Seton Hall & the Big East. Frankly, I’m still pissed about it. The committee is comprised of athletic directors from various conferences along with commissioners who probably haven’t watched many of these teams all year long. Have 10 college basketball analysts like Jay Bilas, John Rothstein, John Fanta, Bill Raftery, etc. who watch these games and teams on a regular basis. FAU an 8 seed? Virginia had 2 Quad 1 wins. They shouldn’t have even be in the tournament. It’s a lot of money for these conferences to miss out on due to the “metrics.” It’s fantasy land on my part but the irritating part is the subjectivity is left up to a “committee” that I highly doubt watches many games of other conferences & just stare at certain metrics.

Chickens running around with their heads cut off make more satisfactory statements than that. This crisis showed us what she is really made of. Time for new leadership.
Get serious. Let coaches show the emotion. As a business leader she was composed, didn’t make ill advised statements that could come back to bite us and worked behind the scenes. We finally got the review of the NET that is needed. This is a positive development that we should be happy about.

The answer/solution is not to have 96 teams. You’d then have way too many teams in the tournament. Every year teams are upset for being left out. This year it really hit home since it affected Seton Hall & the Big East. Frankly, I’m still pissed about it. The committee is comprised of athletic directors from various conferences along with commissioners who probably haven’t watched many of these teams all year long. Have 10 college basketball analysts like Jay Bilas, John Rothstein, John Fanta, Bill Raftery, etc. who watch these games and teams on a regular basis. FAU an 8 seed? Virginia had 2 Quad 1 wins. They shouldn’t have even be in the tournament. It’s a lot of money for these conferences to miss out on due to the “metrics.” It’s fantasy land on my part but the irritating part is the subjectivity is left up to a “committee” that I highly doubt watches many games of other conferences & just stare at certain metrics.
What is the harm in expanding. It’s 1 more game. Seeds 9-24 play and extra round. Makes the 8 seed that much more attractive even though second round is against the 1 seed.

Get serious. Let coaches show the emotion. As a business leader she was composed, didn’t make ill advised statements that could come back to bite us and worked behind the scenes. We finally got the review of the NET that is needed. This is a positive development that we should be happy about.

But individual NET rankings did not factor in the selection of teams. NET only mattered in that it is used to classify quad games. And the committee only used quad 1 records when it suited their agenda. They said St. John’s Quad 1 record at 4-10 wasn’t good enough, then proceeded to take Michigan St. and Virginia who had less quad 1 wins. Providence had six quad 1 wins and wasn’t even in the first four out. Our quad 1 wins were discounted, specifically the UConn one.

To date, I haven’t heard our commissioner come out and say what any objective observer of this sport can clearly see: that the committee’s explanation and stated rationale for leaving our teams out made no logical sense. That doesn't require any inappropriate emotional remarks. It’s not that hard. Instead, what I’ve seen our commissioner say in her statement last week and in speaking to the press today, is that the conference will “work with” the schools to schedule better. This is the “it’s not you, it’s us” mentality that’s just not true here. The statement has to be clear and unequivocal from our conference, that we will not let the committee off the hook in the court of public opinion for making poor choices that harmed our member schools.

The Big East historically sticks up for and sticks with its members. How telling is it that Dan Hurley and Rick Pitino have both said, including Hurley as recently as today, that SHU should have gotten in? I appreciate our rival coaches sticking up for us and our member schools. Why is it so much to ask that our commissioner do the same?

NET has a role in determining the Quads so it does play a role in selection. The metrics are screwed up. It needs to be reviewed. The coaches should be emotional our commissioner/business leader needs to play the long game. It sucks for us and the BE this year. Everyone knows the committee was a joke.

But individual NET rankings did not factor in the selection of teams. NET only mattered in that it is used to classify quad games. And the committee only used quad 1 records when it suited their agenda. They said St. John’s Quad 1 record at 4-10 wasn’t good enough, then proceeded to take Michigan St. and Virginia who had less quad 1 wins. Providence had six quad 1 wins and wasn’t even in the first four out. Our quad 1 wins were discounted, specifically the UConn one.

To date, I haven’t heard our commissioner come out and say what any objective observer of this sport can clearly see: that the committee’s explanation and stated rationale for leaving our teams out made no logical sense. That doesn't require any inappropriate emotional remarks. It’s not that hard. Instead, what I’ve seen our commissioner say in her statement last week and in speaking to the press today, is that the conference will “work with” the schools to schedule better. This is the “it’s not you, it’s us” mentality that’s just not true here. The statement has to be clear and unequivocal from our conference, that we will not let the committee off the hook in the court of public opinion for making poor choices that harmed our member schools.

The Big East historically sticks up for and sticks with its members. How telling is it that Dan Hurley and Rick Pitino have both said, including Hurley as recently as today, that SHU should have gotten in? I appreciate our rival coaches sticking up for us and our member schools. Why is it so much to ask that our commissioner do the same?
How great would it be if UConn wins the tournament and Hurley says” half the teams that could have beat us were left out of the tournament”. Biggest statement is if all 3 Big East schools make the final 4. That would expose the committees failures more than anything. Been watching some really great basketball but on the flip side saw some games that have left me shaking my head. DePaul would have beat a number of these teams. One of the worst fields ever, looks like an experiment that went bad.

How great would it be if UConn wins the tournament and Hurley says” half the teams that could have beat us were left out of the tournament”. Biggest statement is if all 3 Big East schools make the final 4. That would expose the committees failures more than anything. Been watching some really great basketball but on the flip side saw some games that have left me shaking my head. DePaul would have beat a number of these teams. One of the worst fields ever, looks like an experiment that went bad.
Kinda losing credibility with the DePaul statement. They couldn’t beat Georgetown, who beat no one but them. DePaul could play every team in the tournament once and maybe go 2-66 with two upsets.

If Ackerman doesn't understand the difference between screaming at the top of her lungs and going out in publicly talking about the analytics which actually favored the three excluded Big East teams that is extraordinarily concerning. Her demeanor and public statements are essentially "well we will try harder" rather than repeatedly saying "we think the committee got it wrong". The latter is every other commissioner in America would be doing.

Sounds like she’s laying the groundwork for the committee to screw the conference over again by changing the criteria.

Reactions: SHUSA
They should livestream the deliberations. Then everyone will know how and why. 💀

Reactions: SHUSA
Kinda losing credibility with the DePaul statement. They couldn’t beat Georgetown, who beat no one but them. DePaul could play every team in the tournament once and maybe go 2-66 with two upsets.
I was a bit over the top. Lol
I was thinking about how bad Grand Canyon looked last night. They were shooting 3’s and missing the basket completely. We laid some eggs this year as well but a lot of teams were pretty hard to watch.

Reactions: sami
Val’s statement “ I feel very confident you’re going to have more than three Big East teams in the NCAA Tournament next year.”

What an idiotic statement. Show some ba**s and demand changes instead of a meaningless prediction when rosters have a long time to even be set for next year. Lame.

Reactions: CL82
Do we know who was on the committee.
The 2023-2024 Selection Committee (the year the term is up is in parenthesis):

CHARLES MCCLELLAND (2024) – SWAC Commissioner (Chairperson)

JAMIE POLLARD (2024) – Iowa State Athletic Director

SCOTT BARNES (2024) – Oregon State Athletic Director

BUBBA CUNNINGHAM (2025) – North Carolina Athletic Director (Vice-Chairperson)

MARK COYLE (2026) – Minnesota Athletic Director

GREG BYRNE (2026) – Alabama Athletic Director

KEITH GILL (2026) – Sun Belt Commissioner

BARRY COLLIER (2026) – Butler Athletic Director

MARTIN NEWTON (2027) – Samford Athletic Director

TOM WISTRCILL (2027) – Big Sky Commissioner

ARTHUR JOHNSON (2028) – Temple Athletic Director

RENEE BAUMGARTNER (2028) – Santa Clara Athletic Director

Val’s statement “ I feel very confident you’re going to have more than three Big East teams in the NCAA Tournament next year.”

What an idiotic statement. Show some ba**s and demand changes instead of a meaningless prediction when rosters have a long time to even be set for next year. Lame.
She must have gotten bombarded with emails so she had to say something .

Yep. Right. Everything is rigged nowadays. It's always the simple answer to something we don't agree with, right? Baloney.

The selection committee did a lousy job. Borderline incompetent. That's not a case of "rigged".
then why is it behind closed doors with no transparent criteria?

Her responsibility as Commissioner is advocating for the Big East. So that means keeping this message out there in the media. It’s marketing, it’s branding, it’s visibility. Everyone else does it. In fact, most of these powerhouse football conference even go further than this and try to create brand new constructs and designs too. You don’t get a seat at the table by being mute and just going with the flow. Not in this wacky industry.

The BE is a quiet league overall despite holding a unique position as a basketball-centric. I don’t think they do enough nationally to promote.

Her responsibility as Commissioner is advocating for the Big East. So that means keeping this message out there in the media. It’s marketing, it’s branding, it’s visibility. Everyone else does it. In fact, most of these powerhouse football conference even go further than this and try to create brand new constructs and designs too. You don’t get a seat at the table by being mute and just going with the flow. Not in this wacky industry.

The BE is a quiet league overall despite holding a unique position as a basketball-centric. I don’t think they do enough nationally to promote.
100x your last point

Yep. Right. Everything is rigged nowadays. It's always the simple answer to something we don't agree with, right? Baloney.

The selection committee did a lousy job. Borderline incompetent. That's not a case of "rigged".

"Rigged" is a term used by lazy, unintelligent people who don't care to deal in facts or do the leg work in figuring out why things happen. They just rant because they disagree. No other purpose, I guess it makes them feel good.

"Rigged" is a term used by lazy, unintelligent people who don't care to deal in facts or do the leg work in figuring out why things happen. They just rant because they disagree. No other purpose, I guess it makes them feel good.

And ad hominem logical fallacies are used by diligent, intelligent people?

Face it, at the very best the committee did not use the stated criteria evenly across the board and the CBS crew let the chair hide from answering any hard questions about the Big East (compared to B10, ACC, MWC schools with just as bad or worse metrics, ooc, etc), which to outsiders looks like a Shell Game.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
then why is it behind closed doors with no transparent criteria?
Having it completely public...live-streamed would be a complete circus. I think there would be more moaning and outrage than we already have.

Nirvana would be some kind of objective formula that assigned a numerical score to each school. The rankings could be updated and broadly publicized weekly and the top 64 (or 68) mathematically would be selected. But getting to such a formula that is fair and objective and could be agreed to by all is a virtual impossibility.

There's a vast gap between ranting/raving and the namby pamby statement the Big East issued. Val has been a very good commissioner overall but she came up way, way short in responding to the way the Big East was shat upon by the Selection Committee.

The NET, like all computer generated models, is only as good as the information programmed into the system. Garbage in, garbage out.

I'm certain that the programmers shine a brighter light on the large football conferences, while deemphasizing basketball only and basketball leaning conferences. This year's Sweet Sixteen has two basketball centric conferences grabbing most of the spots with the ACC having 4 and the Big East having 3. The conferences are a combined 14-1 after the first two rounds. The Big East may have had a better showing if more schools received a bid.

It's time to go back to the old fashioned eye test.

Having it completely public...live-streamed would be a complete circus. I think there would be more moaning and outrage than we already have.

Nirvana would be some kind of objective formula that assigned a numerical score to each school. The rankings could be updated and broadly publicized weekly and the top 64 (or 68) mathematically would be selected. But getting to such a formula that is fair and objective and could be agreed to by all is a virtual impossibility.
no, doing it the way you are doing it is a complete circus. and fraudulent. again, theres no criteria and no explanation

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT