ADVERTISEMENT

Val is heard re NET

Not a fan of Val’s handling of this. But at this point all remaining BE teams have to keep winning and Val has to speak up when it makes sense perhaps more in private at this juncture

Last edited:
Having it completely public...live-streamed would be a complete circus. I think there would be more moaning and outrage than we already have.

Nirvana would be some kind of objective formula that assigned a numerical score to each school. The rankings could be updated and broadly publicized weekly and the top 64 (or 68) mathematically would be selected. But getting to such a formula that is fair and objective and could be agreed to by all is a virtual impossibility.

But that's pretty much what the RPI was and NET somewhat is now, and people complain about that all the time.

There's no perfect way to do this. The committee has always operated this way and nobody on this board cared until precious Seton Hall lost a bid simply because of bid thieves. People will always complain because that's what people like to do.

But that's pretty much what the RPI was and NET somewhat is now, and people complain about that all the time.

There's no perfect way to do this. The committee has always operated this way and nobody on this board cared until precious Seton Hall lost a bid simply because of bid thieves. People will always complain because that's what people like to do.
this is not the first time shu lost out on the bubble during my fandom. that was back before they made a mockery of it. this is different. you have a team 6 games above .500 in a conference that is sending a 1,2,3 seed to the S-6... maybe just maybe that 4th team was left out by complete bias. yea i get there we're bud stealers. should be stealing bids from the MWC, virginia, etc. teams that are getting demolished in the play in. if it wasn't so damn obvious maybe you'd be right.

integrity of college basketball is gone now. the tournament has been ruined. NIL and transfer situation has ruined everything. it's all about tv deals and no tradition or product. these committee members used to make judgement calls based on what they thought was right, now they're making judgement calls on something else. its pretty clear.

Reactions: shupat08

Yeah, for what it's worth, even though Connecticut got the overall one seed, I believe that Big East teams were not treated fairly, particularly Seton Hall.

When you have committee members saying "no major conference school with 13 wins was excluded from the NCAA's" there are only two ways to interpret it. One is that the committee was misinformed as to Seton Hall's record in conference in the second is that the big east conference was not considered a "major conference" for basketball by the selection committee. Either one of those should be very concerning to anyone who is a member of this conference. it either means that the selection committee was grossly under informed, or that they've willfully decided to write us off as a conference.

I've said this before, but this isn't just a Seton Hall thing, and anyone who doesn't think it's a big deal is misreading it.

The debate generates so much attention, media time, creates endless buzz. It would be so boring if it was just a list of computer rankings. And even if they expand it to 72 or 80 teams (they’re going to expand again, I feel it’s inevitable given the money), we’ll still be talking about the final few and how they were selected. It’s an annual circus because you don’t really know why they voted the way they as they apply different criteria to each team, all part of the arguments and voting process like debating a HOF member.

The conference tournament dynamic is really the one. Maybe leagues need to make it harder for teams that showed what they were over 18-20 games to have a leg up than just throwing everyone back into the pot, IDK. That was the real issue this year and it’s a pretty kooky thing if you think about it. But it adds great drama to March and they are cash cows for the conferences.

Only 19% of D1 teams get into the NAA Tournament. It’s a major accomplishment. And the list is even smaller for teams that do it consecutively. Heading into this year there were only 9 schools that had made it 4 years in a row and Iowa is already off this list. Goes to show what Seton Hall was accomplishing from 2016-2020.

Michigan State = 25
Gonzaga = 24
Purdue = 8
Houston = 5
Kansas = 5
Tennessee = 5
Baylor = 4
Colgate = 4
Iowa = 4

**Kansas had one vacated or they’d be #1 with 30+

its a secret because its a rigged process. really is as simple as that.
You also can’t go into the bee hive with as bad a non-con resume as we had. I thought we should’ve been in the Last 4 even after all the upsets, but we had a huge blemish on the resume that makes us an easy target.

I also thought Providence should’ve been more highly regarded than Indiana State or Pittsburgh who were right behind us. 🤷‍♂️

You also can’t go into the bee hive with as bad a non-con resume as we had. I thought we should’ve been in the Last 4 even after all the upsets, but we had a huge blemish on the resume that makes us an easy target.

I also thought Providence should’ve been more highly regarded than Indiana State or Pittsburgh who were right behind us. 🤷‍♂️
How many wins was our victory over UConn worth? Come on.

Common sense. MWC got 6 teams in. It's highest seeded team was a 5.

Big East had the 1A, a 2 and a 3.

There was no Big East team worthy of an 8 - 11 seed? We all have to play those top 3 teams 6 times. We won 2 of them and should have split.

We had a bad OOC. We more than made up for it in the conference season.

There was no Big East team worthy of an 8 - 11 seed? We all have to play those top 3 teams 6 times. We won 2 of them and should have split.

I agree. But it was a blemish. Our SOS was like #240 and our best win was Missouri who went 0-18 in the SEC, their DePaul.

I also wonder how important non-con will be as these leagues expand.

It's very frustrating with our Q1 wins. How many years are we going to go 13-7 in conference? Not many. In our history how many times have we won 13 conf games. Probably 2 or 3 at most I would guess. Really hurts that we had such a good year in the conference and did not get in.

The 2023-2024 Selection Committee (the year the term is up is in parenthesis):

CHARLES MCCLELLAND (2024) – SWAC Commissioner (Chairperson)

JAMIE POLLARD (2024) – Iowa State Athletic Director

SCOTT BARNES (2024) – Oregon State Athletic Director

BUBBA CUNNINGHAM (2025) – North Carolina Athletic Director (Vice-Chairperson)

MARK COYLE (2026) – Minnesota Athletic Director

GREG BYRNE (2026) – Alabama Athletic Director

KEITH GILL (2026) – Sun Belt Commissioner

BARRY COLLIER (2026) – Butler Athletic Director

MARTIN NEWTON (2027) – Samford Athletic Director

TOM WISTRCILL (2027) – Big Sky Commissioner

ARTHUR JOHNSON (2028) – Temple Athletic Director

RENEE BAUMGARTNER (2028) – Santa Clara Athletic Director
Good job Barry

• Haha
Reactions: CL82 and TommyAlly
It's very frustrating with our Q1 wins. How many years are we going to go 13-7 in conference? Not many. In our history how many times have we won 13 conf games. Probably 2 or 3 at most I would guess. Really hurts that we had such a good year in the conference and did not get in.
Last year Providence went 13-7 in the BE and they ended up with the last bye. They had a putrid OOC -- maybe worse than ours this year.

If that was this year, they would have been the first team out.

Everybody makes some good points on this. But, even Seth Greenburg on ESPN this morning with Jay Williams and Shannon Sharpe said that the B12 totally manipulated NET. Only Kansas and Baylor played a good OOC schedule he said. Then you had teams with bad losses still getting in.

Pick up the link below @ the 4:30 mark. He misspoke about Richmond and he is an ACC guy, but he has facts and is not really biased.

i looked at every tourney teams OOC resume and we were not alone in this regard. some teams had losses to montana st, CHICAGO ST.

in order to advance you have to WIN games, not NOT lose them. cue the danny hurley quote.

And that’s the frustrating thing to me this year. Somehow the Big 10 in 21-22 and 22-23 lost a ton of OOC games before in conference play began but got to stuff a slew of teams in the tourney.

So before the tourney started I “went out on a limb” and figured the Big 10 would fall short in the NCAA’s and they did.

I subsequently was argued against by others in this forum that suggested that a 1 game playoff shouldn’t judge an entire season 🤷🏻

(But, if you ask me, there is no bigger stage with more than ample time to prepare. The first round is absolutely a great indicator of where a team is by that time).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT