ADVERTISEMENT

25% of Americans will not take COVID Vaccine

We've only been "teased" about the full day so far, with nothing firm committed. Our best guess is they throw a full-day week or two as we get closer to year-end, to appease parents, and to create the perception that come September it will be full-day all-the-time (to prevent further enrollment out of our public schools and into local catholic/private schools that have generally been full day, most days, since last September). They did this last summer, creating the expectation that full-day would be back by October -- what fools we were to believe that. The "not being able to figure out lunch" excuse is even more amusing.
I would be pulling my hair out! Our district has been open 5 days a week, full time since September with minor interruptions.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
I would be pulling my hair out! Our district has been open 5 days a week, full time since September with minor interruptions.
Nice, we had only been 4 half days every other week, only went to 5 half days every week middle of April.

@Merge @shu09 As expected, Dr. Tony Fauci had moved his goalposts again. He is now telling us we will be back to "somewhat normalcy" on mother's day 2022
@Merge I thought the government was going to push us to get vaccinated so we can get back to normal soon. Why is Dr Fauci now saying we won't get back to normal until May 2022?

glad to have a take "TrumpJew2".

Wonder why you're not talking about the part of the interview where Fauci agreed it's probably almost time to relax the indoor mask mandates...

glad to have a take "TrumpJew2".

Wonder why you're not talking about the part of the interview where Fauci agreed it's probably almost time to relax the indoor mask mandates...

Did you watch the video I shared? Wasn't the question about mothers day 2022?

Yes. He was asked about Mother’s Day 2022. He probably would have said the same thing about Labor Day 2021, and there was nothing wrong with his answer.

Curious If those who have young children, if they plan to get them vaccinated?

Curious If those who have young children, if they plan to get them vaccinated?

At this point, no. Though my kids are 6 and 8 so would not be eligible for a while but I don't really expect Covid to be a major issue when they become eligible.

My views could change if we learn something new that we don't know today.

I have warned this board the pandemic won't be over until the world is vaccinated. You can't keep our guard down because of variant transmission. The WHO has now labeled the triple mutant variant found in India as a "Global Threat". More will come out during a Tuesday press conference.

At this point, no. Though my kids are 6 and 8 so would not be eligible for a while but I don't really expect Covid to be a major issue when they become eligible.

Same.

Similar view & situation as Merge, as my kids are 6 & 9.

My kids are in high school and I generally don't think they should get vaccine at this age. However, I'm seeing quite a few colleges are making it mandatory for students to get the vaccine prior to returning to campus. I don't agree with forcing people to do this. And what if the student already had Covid and has the antibodies; a vaccine would be unnecessary and could even cause a bigger reaction. People should be able to do their own risk assessment and make the decision they're comfortable with.

Reactions: HALL85 and shu09
My kids are in high school and I generally don't think they should get vaccine at this age. However, I'm seeing quite a few colleges are making it mandatory for students to get the vaccine prior to returning to campus. I don't agree with forcing people to do this. And what if the student already had Covid and has the antibodies; a vaccine would be unnecessary and could even cause a bigger reaction. People should be able to do their own risk assessment and make the decision they're comfortable with.

Similarly though, a university can make their own risk assessment and make a decision about vaccine requirements for their students. While it would be annoying to scramble and find a new school to attend, if it is required and a student feels that passionately about the vaccine then they should probably go somewhere else.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
@Merge This is huge news. Why was the Murphy administration counting out of state residents as part of the % vaccinated in NJ. What this to get to the 70% goal quicker? Apparently Ms Judy was "Unaware" that out of staters were being counted.

Parents/students need to step up and start speaking out. After that, start suing these colleges. That's the only way it will change. Can't just sit there and take it.

It makes zero sense for a college to require it for students but not for their employees.

@Merge This is huge news. Why was the Murphy administration counting out of state residents as part of the % vaccinated in NJ. What this to get to the 70% goal quicker? Apparently Ms Judy was "Unaware" that out of staters were being counted.

The thought that residents from other states being vaccinated in NJ being a material material number is pretty silly. There will be instances where it happens, but it's not like NJ has more appointments available compared to our neighbors.

Protest with signs that say my body, my choice. I think the colleges will understand that mindset.

Reactions: shu09 and HALL85
Parents/students need to step up and start speaking out. After that, start suing these colleges. That's the only way it will change. Can't just sit there and take it.

It makes zero sense for a college to require it for students but not for their employees.

But they would provide an option for online learning for those students. Hard to sue a college for being accommodating.

If your choice is not to get vaccinated, your body doesn't get to go to Rutgers.
My mind and body will thank me for that.

But isn't that discrimination. Imagine a young woman believing my body, my choice denied access to a school because she had an abortion. Now a different young person doesn't want to take a vaccine because he or she believes the same phrase and is denied access? Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: shu09

But isn't that discrimination. Imagine a young woman believing my body, my choice denied access to a school because she had an abortion. Now a different young person doesn't want to take a vaccine because he or she believes the same phrase and is denied access? Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

If abortions were contagious, that would make sense as a comparison.

While I’m a lawyer I’m not sure of the exact scope of the legal issues involved, and whether a college is private or public may be relevant to that as well (although if private schools get federal funding that can be an “ax” the government also wields). At the K-12 level, you can bet there will be litigation if public schools seek to impose vaccination requirements for COVID. And certain states - likely “red” or “purple” states - will have a dispute with the federal government if it seeks to impose mandates of that kind on public schools within the state. Now where we live remember the Governor is going to do whatever the teachers union tells him to, so there’s that.

If abortions were contagious, that would make sense as a comparison.
Then you might see people suing that the person next to them in class doesn't have a flu vaccine, chickenpox vaccine, or one of the vaccines for pink eye. Could get wild.

It’s a global pandemic. None of those are close.
The risk of death of college aged students from covid is very close to flu or pneumonia. That's what the science says. Heck you're more likely to die from heart disease than covid between 15 and 24 years old.

Last edited:
First of all, you can apply for a religious or personal health exemption at any of these schools that are mandating the vaccine. They can’t force you to take it.

And I hope some of the schools suffer the consequences of their actions. For instance, admissions at Lehigh University are down by 20% this year because parents aren’t willing to fork over $70,000 a year and not have their child get the full college experience. They should suffer more enrollment losses. Screw em.

Last edited:
While I’m a lawyer I’m not sure of the exact scope of the legal issues involved, and whether a college is private or public may be relevant to that as well (although if private schools get federal funding that can be an “ax” the government also wields). At the K-12 level, you can bet there will be litigation if public schools seek to impose vaccination requirements for COVID. And certain states - likely “red” or “purple” states - will have a dispute with the federal government if it seeks to impose mandates of that kind on public schools within the state. Now where we live remember the Governor is going to do whatever the teachers union tells him to, so there’s that.
But most colleges already require a certain amount of vaccines to attend, so not sure how requiring a Covid vaccine would be much different.

Now whether they should require Covid vaccine is different story, but I am pretty sure they could legally require it if they decided to go that way.

SHU currently requires six vaccines:

The risk of death of college aged students from covid is very close to flu or pneumonia. That's what the science says. Heck you're more likely to die from heart disease than covid between 15 and 24 years old.

You're right, but you can't reason with or present facts to COVID hysterics. They simply tune it out.

Dealing with COVID hysterics is very similar to dealing with people who worship the Church of Trump. No amount of facts will ever change their opinions.

Last edited:
@Merge As one doctor in the NY Times was quoted this morning, "This could be the variant we have been worried about all along". This variant found in India could cause the next wave of the pandemic around the globe. It appears the vaccines may not be effective against this variant. As I have warned this board before. We need the world to be vaccinated before this pandemic is over.

You're right, but you can't reason with or present facts to COVID hysterics. They simply tune it out.

Dealing with COVID hysterics is very similar to dealing with people who worship the Church of Trump. No amount of facts will ever change their opinions.

please... you’ve tuned out and downplayed the risks of the virus for over a year because it wouldn’t impact you directly. No amount of being wrong has ever made you re-examine your priors.

The schools that are requiring a vaccine are not requiring a vaccine because of the risk to the students. They are doing so as a part of a broader effort to protect the community. You can disagree with that decision if you want, but at least understand what it is.

please... you’ve tuned out and downplayed the risks of the virus for over a year because it wouldn’t impact you directly. No amount of being wrong has ever made you re-examine your priors.

The schools that are requiring a vaccine are not requiring a vaccine because of the risk to the students. They are doing so as a part of a broader effort to protect the community. You can disagree with that decision if you want, but at least understand what it is.

No, I've been right on this more than I have been wrong. Nobody's perfect though. It did impact me directly. I've had it, family members have had it. All except one had just the sniffles or no symptoms at all. The one who had it worse made it through quite easily as it turned out.

The schools are saying it is because of risk to students. Most of these statements announcing the policy say something like, "in order to provide the safe college experience that we all expect."

Regarding protecting the outside community, that is BS. It's not a college's job to mandate a vaccine for the purpose of "protecting the outside community." That is safety regime garbage that so many idiots are propagating these days. If people in the community where the college is want to protect themselves, they can stay home or get the vaccine. It's that simple.

No, I've been right on this more than I have been wrong.

There is a history of posts here that says otherwise.

I've had it, family members have had it. All except one had just the sniffles or no symptoms at all. The one who had it worse made it through quite easily as it turned out.

To be clear, that is exactly what I meant when I said it wouldn't impact you directly.
The risk to you and those around you was low if they got sick.
he schools are saying it is because of risk to students. Most of these statements announcing the policy say something like, "in order to provide the safe college experience that we all expect.

"Since the start of the pandemic, we have said that the safety of the Rutgers community is a shared responsibility,” said Antonio Calcado, executive vice president and chief operating officer at Rutgers. “An effective vaccination program is a continuation of Rutgers’ commitment to health and safety for all members of our community of more than 71,000 students, the cities we are in and the communities we serve throughout New Jersey.”

Regarding protecting the outside community, that is BS. It's not a college's job to mandate a vaccine for the purpose of "protecting the outside community." That is safety regime garbage that so many idiots are propagating these days. If people in the community where the college is want to protect themselves, they can stay home or get the vaccine. It's that simple.

That's your opinion. If the school disagrees, they are free to do so. If students decide not to go to that school because they don't want to get one of the 7 required vaccines to attend - they can try to get a waiver, take classes online until the vaccine is no longer required or they can go somewhere else. It's that simple.

"Broader effort to protect the community" is a joke. Should each student meet with a psychiatrist in order to "protect the community." Mental health is a serious crisis in this country. The science and data proves it. Should students be banned from smoking in order to "protect the community." You can go on with this list forever of things they ignore instead of being righteous and protecting the community.

"Broader effort to protect the community" is a joke. Should each student meet with a psychiatrist in order to "protect the community." Mental health is a serious crisis in this country. The science and data proves it. Should students be banned from smoking in order to "protect the community." You can go on with this list forever of things they ignore instead of being righteous and protecting the community.

Smoking? Kind of like how we banned indoor smoking to protect those around us?

It's a global pandemic... Stop hunting for a comparison unless they are also related to a pandemic of a contagious disease taking the lives of millions of people.

Reactions: doctorcb12
Smoking? Kind of like how we banned indoor smoking to protect those around us?

It's a global pandemic... Stop hunting for a comparison unless they are also related to a pandemic of a contagious disease taking the lives of millions of people.

Yet we still ignore the impact it's having on the environment outside. Heck the way most weed is grown is bad for the environment. So much for protecting the community.

And there's been plenty of people who have died who received the vaccine. The vaccine isn't the savior. I hope the students rise up and stick to their beliefs and don't take it. Let the schools suffer financially.

Merge, roughly 80% of people who contract this virus are at low risk. It isn't just me.

Yes, I am aware of the data.

About 2.2 million Americans have been hospitalized with Covid, and it has killed at least 597,000 Americans.

More than enough to warrant efforts to stop the spread through vaccination.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT