ADVERTISEMENT

25% of Americans will not take COVID Vaccine

Fauci's 10 minutes of fame to the general public are starting to winnow down. That should have happened a long time ago. God bless him, but more folks should be taking notes from the Governor of Florida. I'm no Republican and frankly didn't know much about him before this pandemic, but he's handled it better than anyone. He protected the elderly in a way Governors like Cuomo did not. He worked with Democratic politicians on the vaccine roll-out (which 60 Minutes failed, unsuccessfully, to criticize him for as some type of "pay for play" scenario with Publix, which blew up in their face when Democrats came to the guy's defense), he managed the pandemic in a way that didn't destroy Florida's economy, and all my Florida colleagues have had their kids in school since basically the beginning of the year because he told the corrupt teacher union to STFU and do what they are paid to do or get fired.

Desantis 2024

I know that is the popular narrative now. Which explains why 60 Minutes had the hit-piece on him. They were given instructions to start early. Sad that a great show like 60 Minutes has resorted to that.

Correct. If its Desantis v. Harris I think Desantis has a shot.

You posted this in February. Things are are quickly improving? Huh? This post was 2 months ago and I don't see too improvement with nj hospitalizations and cases.

Honestly not as fast as I had hoped, but things are still improving if you look at trend lines. Positivity rate started started dropping again, new hospitalizations are droppings agin, deaths are dropping and we are doing well vaccinating people... more to be done but we’re still on the right path.

Fauci's 10 minutes of fame to the general public are starting to winnow down. That should have happened a long time ago. God bless him, but more folks should be taking notes from the Governor of Florida. I'm no Republican and frankly didn't know much about him before this pandemic, but he's handled it better than anyone. He protected the elderly in a way Governors like Cuomo did not. He worked with Democratic politicians on the vaccine roll-out (which 60 Minutes failed, unsuccessfully, to criticize him for as some type of "pay for play" scenario with Publix, which blew up in their face when Democrats came to the guy's defense), he managed the pandemic in a way that didn't destroy Florida's economy, and all my Florida colleagues have had their kids in school since basically the beginning of the year because he told the corrupt teacher union to STFU and do what they are paid to do or get fired.

Don’t really get this take. Nursing home deaths from Covid are actually pretty close comparing New York to Florida. That’s not a defense of Cuomo, I just don’t understand how you get to it being a success for Desantis especially considering that Florida had time to prepare where the northeast did not.

I’m not saying he did everything wrong, Florida’s results to date are ok, but also have to add in the context that after the first wave was over, Florida had one of the worst death rates in the entire country.

Hope he runs for POTUS in 2024.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Honestly not as fast as I had hoped, but things are still improving if you look at trend lines. Positivity rate started started dropping again, new hospitalizations are droppings agin, deaths are dropping and we are doing well vaccinating people... more to be done but we’re still on the right path.

Sure. I will look at this take 2 months from now. Unfortunately I think we will be the same place or worse. And you will just keep moving your goalpost.

So can you just admit you were wrong? It doesn't seem like you take responsibility for incorrect statements/predictions you make but are quick to call out other wrong statements.

Well, no I didn't watch it... but what she said is irrelevant for this discussion.
.7 means that it is going away. .8 means in is going away, .9 means it is going away. Above 1 mean

You entirely missed what it actually said. Maybe go beyond the headline next time.

Herd immunity by the end of 2021.
“The virus will still be there; it will still kill people. But its epidemic force, its epidemic power, will be reduced, or stopped.”

After that he is talking about the social and economic fallout. We can save that debate for another day.

For now, here is how I see this playing out. In about 2 months, vaccine supply will start to exceed demand. The government will try to generate more demand by promising a return to normal if enough people get it. By June, we will have vaccinated all of our most vulnerable population and a good portion of the general population. The spread will be minimal. Hospitalizations and deaths because of Covid will be exceedingly rare. Shortly after that, masks just won't be necessary anymore and life will slowly start to return to normal.

This was post was February 18th. You were wrong here too. The government hasn't promised a return to normal. Also, vaccine supply is not exceeding demand. The Johnson & Johnson has been put on hold.

I said two months ago that supply would start to exceed demand and that is exactly what is happening which is why we are opening up the vaccine to everyone... so no, I wasn’t wrong on that. Also set June as my target for having a sufficient vaccinated population... I’m fairly certain it’s not June yet...

if I’m wrong, I’m wrong. I really don’t care about being right or wrong here...I still believe that once we have had the opportunity to vaccinate everyone who wants to be vaccinated (likely at some point in June) then restrictions no longer make sense.

Reactions: Piratz and shu09
Don’t really get this take. Nursing home deaths from Covid are actually pretty close comparing New York to Florida. That’s not a defense of Cuomo, I just don’t understand how you get to it being a success for Desantis especially considering that Florida had time to prepare where the northeast did not.

I’m not saying he did everything wrong, Florida’s results to date are ok, but also have to add in the context that after the first wave was over, Florida had one of the worst death rates in the entire country.
Maybe the articles and data I saw were wrong. It was from the mainstream media, so I assumed it was going to provide the most slanted tilt possible against Florida and in favor of NY because of the political element (I know folks play numbers games with this stuff). The data I saw said that while Florida has several more million residents, it was about 33% less than NY for both COVID-related deaths and long term care resident illnesses. I realize population density and weather plays a factor in this, but when I saw those numbers coupled with Florida’s response as it relates to the economy and schools, it was pretty obvious that what he did was the better approach. Then I connect the dots on the 60 minutes piece which even liberal outlets have criticized, and that insinuates the D’s are concerned that Florida’s response being positive is going to turn this guy into a contender, so they’ve sent the attack dogs after him already. Maybe I’m wrong because I hate that this stuff has to be politicized. Bill Maher ended his show Friday night referencing the same statistics, especially as it pertains to what Desantis did to protect the elderly compared to Cuomo. If Maher is saying it, I figured that was another data point because as we know he is a liberal.

I said two months ago that supply would start to exceed demand and that is exactly what is happening which is why we are opening up the vaccine to everyone... so no, I wasn’t wrong on that. Also set June as my target for having a sufficient vaccinated population... I’m fairly certain it’s not June yet...

if I’m wrong, I’m wrong. I really don’t care about being right or wrong here...I still believe that once we have had the opportunity to vaccinate everyone who wants to be vaccinated (likely at some point in June) then restrictions no longer make sense.
By the way. It appears I am right when I stated it looks like our vaccination numbers are pleatuing. Some parts of the country are now seeing more inventory of shots but less people are making appointments now. This is the part of the pandemic where people have to influence people that are not willing to take the vaccine. Demand for the vaccine in the US is officially slowing down.

Maybe the articles and data I saw were wrong. It was from the mainstream media, so I assumed it was going to provide the most slanted tilt possible against Florida and in favor of NY because of the political element (I know folks play numbers games with this stuff). The data I saw said that while Florida has several more million residents, it was about 33% less than NY for both COVID-related deaths and long term care resident illnesses. I realize population density and weather plays a factor in this, but when I saw those numbers coupled with Florida’s response as it relates to the economy and schools, it was pretty obvious that what he did was the better approach.

In my opinion, I think it is a little unfair to compare all of it since the virus was spreading rapidly in NY and NJ rapidly, including in nursing homes before we had the ability to test anyone.

If you exclude just that initial wave and start with June 1st for example, Florida has had more than 10k more deaths than New York and specially on this topic, more nursing facility / Ltc deaths.

very different states, so I’m not saying they should have had the same response or results but the narrative I have seen around Desantis protecting the elderly compared to the states in the northeast just doesn’t seem true.

His best argument is that the state stayed open and the results were not as bad as people said it would be. That is true.

CDC VAERS. The suspension is getting all the publicity but reports of adverse events with that vaccine pale in comparison to Moderna and Pfizer.

I couldn't care less about what "ages well" or not on a message board. I care about getting answers so I can make an educated decision.

Again, that is self-reporting. If your arm hurt after receiving Moderna's vaccine, then you could file a report. Headache, chills, fatigue, body aches, all typical after effects of a vaccine (which by definition creates an immune response) make up the vast majority of these "adverse reactions."

Again, that is self-reporting. If your arm hurt after receiving Moderna's vaccine, then you could file a report. Headache, chills, fatigue, body aches, all typical after effects of a vaccine (which by definition creates an immune response) make up the vast majority of these "adverse reactions."
Most people don't realize that this is a live clinical trial and they should be reporting adverse events directly to the pharmaceutical company. Like you said, not the minor issues, but if you are having long term or violent reactions, you should report it immediately. All three pharma companies have 800 numbers to do that.

Most people don't realize that this is a live clinical trial and they should be reporting adverse events directly to the pharmaceutical company. Like you said, not the minor issues, but if you are having long term or violent reactions, you should report it immediately. All three pharma companies have 800 numbers to do that.

But the press and politicians wouldn't dare tell you about that because it goes against the narrative to get as many people in the trial as possible.

Not good, not good at all. We will never reach herd immunity because of this.

Not really.

The mathematical concept for herd immunity is (1-1/R0) / efficacy.

There is no perfect number we can point to as x% immunized = herd immunity, since R0 is not static but 1 shot of the mRna vaccines is apparently 80ish percent effective.

Theoretically if R0 = 2.5 with normal activity and no masks etc - The herd immunity calculation says we need about 63% of the population fully vaccinated. If 8% of the population being vaccinated doesn't receive a 2nd shot, it reduces the overall efficacy number but only results with needing 64% of the population being vaccinated.

Lots of assumptions within the calculation, but people choosing to only get one dose of the mRna vaccine instead of two is not really as impactful as you are implying there.

Not really.

The mathematical concept for herd immunity is (1-1/R0) / efficacy.

There is no perfect number we can point to as x% immunized = herd immunity, since R0 is not static but 1 shot of the mRna vaccines is apparently 80ish percent effective.

Theoretically if R0 = 2.5 with normal activity and no masks etc - The herd immunity calculation says we need about 63% of the population fully vaccinated. If 8% of the population being vaccinated doesn't receive a 2nd shot, it reduces the overall efficacy number but only results with needing 64% of the population being vaccinated.

Lots of assumptions within the calculation, but people choosing to only get one dose of the mRna vaccine instead of two is not really as impactful as you are implying there.
Johns Hopkins recently estimated that 200 million Americans have been infected. Given that number, those already vaccinated, and a significant number with natural immunity, we may already be at or near herd immunity.

Johns Hopkins recently estimated that 200 million Americans have been infected. Given that number, those already vaccinated, and a significant number with natural immunity, we may already be at or near herd immunity.

Which makes the freak out over this since March of 2020 even more ridiculous.

Reactions: dehere23

Bluntly, for a variety of reasons - there is no way that is close to accurate.

Got a link to support that?

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
I believe it. Experts have said the actual number of infections is likely 5-8 times higher than the official number. The official number is currently 32 million. 200 million is a little over 6x that.

I believe it. Experts have said the actual number of infections is likely 5-8 times higher than the official number. The official number is currently 32 million. 200 million is a little over 6x that.

Got a citation on that 5-8 number?

I believe it is clearly higher but it were anywhere close to 200 million, that would be showing up in the seroprevalence studies. So far, those studies put the number of infected somewhere around 20% of the US population. 30% seems to be the absolute high on any range estimate I have seen. An 8x number be 80%?

I just don't believe that is supportable.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
I have. What you are suggesting is not in line with anything I have read which is why I am asking for some context.

Did you leave out some parentheses? Your formula resolves to zero.

No, the formula is correct.
Plug it into excel as =(1-1/2.5)/.95

Mathematical order of operations. It looks off but is correct since the rule is you would divide 1/2.5 first and then it's 1 minus that result.

Reactions: Pirata
@Merge When will the government promise we will get back to normal? We need to start messaging this or people in the fence will continue not to take the vaccine

Good example of media bias here. A CNN "reporter" writes this article and doesn't even try to hide the bias. Then they go after company who owns the show to pressure them because someone doesn't conform with government thinking.

What the person in question said was an OPINION. He did not spread "misinformation." This shouldn't even be a story but leave it up to the folks at CNN and their far left agenda to make it one.

Good example of media bias here. A CNN "reporter" writes this article and doesn't even try to hide the bias. Then they go after company who owns the show to pressure them because someone doesn't conform with government thinking.

What the person in question said was an OPINION. He did not spread "misinformation." This shouldn't even be a story but leave it up to the folks at CNN and their far left agenda to make it one.

I've been observing this conversation from afar, but wanted to comment on a couple of things:

1) I listed to the Joe Rogan pod, and he was not "spreading disinformation", only providing his opinion on how to handle everything, like everyone is here, and ought to be, permitted to do.

2) I live in Florida, and while Florida may have more deaths among the elderly than NY, I believe the per capita rate is lower. Have to compare apples to apples among the elderly population which is huge in Florida. Also, keep in mind that the effects have turned out to be more mild than anticipated (not to say it isn't bad, but not as bad as originally thought), and Florida has kept its economy humming during times when other states (such as NY and NJ) were shut down, and the data is not all that different regarding Covid effects. And while Covid effects are not good from a health standpoint, a bigger issue may be the mental effect of locking people in houses, and shutting down their businesses, which can cause depression, suicide, etc.

These are not easy decisions, but overall i believe the decisions come down to whether you want government telling you what to do, or having the free will to make these choices for yourself. I choose the latter, and by the way, that doesn't mean I throw caution to the wind with going out and being around tons of people with no mask on, etc. People still can have liberty and use good judgment...it is possible :)

I've been observing this conversation from afar, but wanted to comment on a couple of things:

1) I listed to the Joe Rogan pod, and he was not "spreading disinformation", only providing his opinion on how to handle everything, like everyone is here, and ought to be, permitted to do.

2) I live in Florida, and while Florida may have more deaths among the elderly than NY, I believe the per capita rate is lower. Have to compare apples to apples among the elderly population which is huge in Florida. Also, keep in mind that the effects have turned out to be more mild than anticipated (not to say it isn't bad, but not as bad as originally thought), and Florida has kept its economy humming during times when other states (such as NY and NJ) were shut down, and the data is not all that different regarding Covid effects. And while Covid effects are not good from a health standpoint, a bigger issue may be the mental effect of locking people in houses, and shutting down their businesses, which can cause depression, suicide, etc.

These are not easy decisions, but overall i believe the decisions come down to whether you want government telling you what to do, or having the free will to make these choices for yourself. I choose the latter, and by the way, that doesn't mean I throw caution to the wind with going out and being around tons of people with no mask on, etc. People still can have liberty and use good judgment...it is possible :)

Well said. I agree with pretty much everything.

Great points about Joe Rogan. Ben Shapiro brought up a great point here. Why isn't the government allowing us to go back to normal if we choose to get vaccinated?

Appreciate the thoughts and agree on Rogan. No issue with what he said at all.

Hard to compare apples to apples between New York and Florida when the virus was spreading rapidly in New York before we had any testing available. That just wasn't the case for Florida If you compare what happened in Florida to New York after that first initial wave, Florida does not do as well and was closer to the bottom. That said, I do think there is a strong argument that Florida managed the outbreak well enough for their state to keep their hospital systems operating effectively and not break their economy... Doesn't mean the same approach would work in NJ or NY, but it does support that Florida was relatively successful in their approach.

@Merge And so it begins. The US will keep mask mandates on public transportation until at least September 13th, 2021. It appears this is after our Labor Day deal. Whatever happened to the President saying we would only be required to wear masks during his first 100 days. Has anyone followed up with President Biden on that?

Appreciate the thoughts and agree on Rogan. No issue with what he said at all.

Hard to compare apples to apples between New York and Florida when the virus was spreading rapidly in New York before we had any testing available. That just wasn't the case for Florida If you compare what happened in Florida to New York after that first initial wave, Florida does not do as well and was closer to the bottom. That said, I do think there is a strong argument that Florida managed the outbreak well enough for their state to keep their hospital systems operating effectively and not break their economy... Doesn't mean the same approach would work in NJ or NY, but it does support that Florida was relatively successful in their approach.

Fair enough. I would point out that Florida was quick to assess the situation and open up the state once the data was sufficient enough to show there was less of a need for a statewide mandatory lockdown. More importantly, and perhaps the most important maneuver made by desantis was getting significant bipartisan support throughout the state on his plans and allowing local communities to decide their own fate. It was a breath of fresh air from a politician and perhaps the main reason his popularity is very high right now. He trusted people to determine their own fate while also providing guidance and support statewide. I’ll be honest I did not vote for him in the last election and I very much regret not doing so, I’ve not been this impressed by a politician in quite some time.

And don’t get me started on that trash 60 minutes piece. Living in palm beach county I can tell you first hand that it was pure hit piece and nothing they “reported” was close to true about vaccine rollout. And btw, did they even check if Publix donated to the democratic governor candidate? I’m 99% sure they would donate to both candidates.

Reactions: shu09 and Hallsome
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT