ADVERTISEMENT

Meltdown Mode - Begin

I don't think last night had anything to do with lack of effort. The execution and shot making from the arc and the line was terrible.

Conversely, Rutgers uncharacteristically hit their free throws and shots from distance. Credit them for doing last night what they haven't done all year.
Too many open shots for me to not question effort. Call it Sha’s scheme. Call it players being out of position. I’m calling it effort. That’s what defense is all about.

That defense held Rutgers to 41% shooting. But yes, we should have done a better job guarding the arc. Intensity was there all night. Execution was not.

This was a rock fight but the one abnormality was RU hitting 12/24 from distance.

Stopped recruiting? I think his recruiting philosophy was to stay veteran. Transfer after transfer. McKnight, Gill, Ike, Richmond, Harris, Aiken, Jackson, Molson, Yetna and who can forget TT.
Some of those guys worked out well. Overall, I was more high than not on Willard’s recruiting, which is why I felt like we underachieved in some of those NCAA years. But he gave up the last two years and left the cupboard very bare.

The effort, or lack thereof, is incredibly alarming and telling. He’s supposed to be the motivator of all motivators. What gives?
Im not really talking about effort...I dont really get into that game...ive been around pretty high level athletics for awhile..kids/people try...im saying they dont "buy-in" to what hes teaching/saying...its VERY obvious for one + years now...thats a huge problem

Some of those guys worked out well. Overall, I was more high than not on Willard’s recruiting, which is why I felt like we underachieved in some of those NCAA years. But he gave up the last two years and left the cupboard very bare.
at this point we have 5 new starters next year and nobody of Richmond’s caliber. Cupboard is bare going into year 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: HallGuy23
That defense held Rutgers to 41% shooting. But yes, we should have done a better job guarding the arc. Intensity was there all night. Execution was not.

This was a rock fight but the one abnormality was RU hitting 12/24 from distance.
It’s really becoming the norm to shoot well from 3 against us. Can only leave so many wide open guys

Baylor: 45%
RU: 50%
Iowa: 36%
USC: 44%

There was a stretch in the second half when the game was down to 5 or 6. We had about 3-4 consecutive possessions where we bombed and couldn’t take the game back.
This has happened in every P6 game this year. We fall down big, battle back and when we are in striking distance, make bad plays and the opponent regains momentum and blows us out AGAIN.

Last night Davis misses 2 ft in 2nd half that could have cut the lead to 4. He was lucky enough to get a foul call challenging 3 guys when he could have kicked the ball to a wide open 3 for Sanders. In fact, he missed two sets of free throws yesterday. Those are huge momentum killers.

Last edited:
at this point we have 5 new starters next year and nobody of Richmond’s caliber. Cupboard is bare going into year 3.
Canary Islands anyone? That’s what we had going into year 3 of KW’s reign with a bunch of transfers.

Sucks right now, but have to give a little time.

And to your moment earlier—I, for one, would not trade to get back the one and out from the tournament. Sorry but I just don’t see the point in that.

I would rather gamble more on getting further with someone else.

Is it Holloway? I don’t know.

But it wasn’t gonna be Willard

Sanders has a clue he cuts very well and most of the time open for a layup but our guys are to busy looking to shoot first. That's on Holloway to correct

Reactions: garyshu71
This has happened in every P6 game this year. We fall down big, battle back and when we are in striking distance, make bad plays and the opponent regains momentum and blows us out AGAIN.

Last night Davis misses 2 ft in 2nd half that could have cut the lead to 4. He was lucky enough to get a foul call challenging 3 guys when he could have kicked the ball to a wide open 3 for Sanders. In fact, he missed two sets of free throws yesterday. Those are huge momentum killers.

That was the stretch. We were down 39-25 and got it to 41-35 with the ball. We kept Rutgers at 41 for 5+ minutes, got the game to 41-35 and Dre misses both FT's AGAIN in the game.

Then Dawes misses a 3, Dre misses another layup, Bediako misses a jump hook, Dawes misses another 3. I mean, these are our best players so idk. What can you do?

Meltdown and then some. The sky is falling the sky is falling!

Actually the Pirates caught a team that does not shoot 3 pointers very well, and does not make free throws on a night when they surprised everyone including their fan base.

Sure Dawes had another horrendous night offensively...he was offensive and our free throw shooting was not up to our standards but these are all fixable. I expect our free throw shooting to rebound. The answer to the Dawes issue is to have him come off the bench as he is pressing and now he has become a liability until he sets himself right. There are several options to replace Dawes in the starting lineup.

On that note I'm not sure Dyan should be starting either and maybe coming off the bench would be a good move for him too.
I don't know that there are "several options to replace Dawes..." While I might agree that he needs to sit, this is a bit like the Jets situation at QB; Zach had to sit at some point, he was so bad....then they went to the 2nd and 3rd so-called "options" and...woof....they were clearly worse.

So while there are certainly players on the bench who could technically come in and replace Dawes. it is not like we have some stellar guards sitting there.

Again, I agree that we need to see a change, if for nothing else to send the message that "rules" apply to everyone; I just don't know that I expect a major difference.

I don't know that there are "several options to replace Dawes..." While I might agree that he needs to sit, this is a bit like the Jets situation at QB; Zach had to sit at some point, he was so bad....then they went to the 2nd and 3rd so-called "options" and...woof....they were clearly worse.

So while there are certainly players on the bench who could technically come in and replace Dawes. it is not like we have some stellar guards sitting there.

Again, I agree that we need to see a change, if for nothing else to send the message that "rules" apply to everyone; I just don't know that I expect a major difference.
I know it was laughed off before but my starting 5 for Monmouth is Richmond, Brown, Coleman, Davis and Bediako. Does that make us better? Not likely. Does that send a message? I hope.

Good thing we named 3 captains and they can all look at each other to see which one will call the team meeting. Who’s gonna be the adult in the room to call the team together? When do Davis, Richmond and Dawes have a captain’s meeting and say they have to take some responsibility? They are the biggest drivers of why it’s a 3-parade against any competent team.

Does Sha suck at coaching defense, or do they just not listen?

I know it was laughed off before but my starting 5 for Monmouth is Richmond, Brown, Coleman, Davis and Bediako. Does that make us better? Not likely. Does that send a message? I hope.

Good thing we named 3 captains and they can all look at each other to see which one will call the team meeting. Who’s gonna be the adult in the room to call the team together? When do Davis, Richmond and Dawes have a captain’s meeting and say they have to take some responsibility? They are the biggest drivers of why it’s a 3-parade against any competent team.

Sha's surprising me and not in a good way. And then he gets all defensive when Cohen/Popkin press him on Dawes.

You have to switch it up man. This season is cratering and it's the same freaking issue game after game yet zero attempts at anything. Just try SOMETHING, see if it changes the vibe and mindsets.

Canary Islands anyone? That’s what we had going into year 3 of KW’s reign with a bunch of transfers.

Sucks right now, but have to give a little time.

And to your moment earlier—I, for one, would not trade to get back the one and out from the tournament. Sorry but I just don’t see the point in that.

I would rather gamble more on getting further with someone else.

Is it Holloway? I don’t know.

But it wasn’t gonna be Willard
Sign me up for 20 win seasons. We worked so hard to get back on the map. We’re getting to the point where we need a big class to get back on the map. Meaning we’re off the map again. While that class won’t be forgotten, what they built is being torn down and will need to be built all over again from the ground up.

As for the Canary Islands comment. I’d sign for having Teague Oliver Fuquan Cosby and Auda for next year knowing full well Auda would be injured early on.

As I previously said and was laughed at..

Richmond
Coleman
Davis
Bediako
Everett

How about we use Bediako to our advantage by putting in a position to overwhelm a smaller defender? Instead of doing the opposite by forcing Davis there.. Maybe make it a focal point of the offense. But what do I know

Holloway’s takeover coincided with this NCAA NIL/transfer madness, which followed a couple years of pandemic madness with team pauses and virtual recruiting that drove Willard nuts and probably ushered an exit.

The school was not ready either way. They didn’t start it timely when Willard was here and idk if he was pushing it as he was not coming back. Holloway has been pushing it. Until thats fixed we’re shopping in the bargain aisle of older transfers that aren’t stepping up (Dawes, Addae-Wusu, Odukale, etc.), total unprovens, and our top players are getting poached (Samuel, Richmond could get a big payday somewhere too). The results are what you see.

The Hall has to be built on retention, continuity, and player development given the lack of money. And that was even before the flood gates opened! Can we generate enough to accomplish even that in this day and age?

If you start Brown bring Sanders first off the bench, give them the whole game. What do we have to lose.

Reactions: bigraym and Burnsly
If you start Brown bring Sanders first off the bench, give them the whole game. What do we have to lose.
I do say that in jest a bit, but I’d consider starting Sanders/Coleman over Dawes/Wusu. Again, that fundamentally shouldn’t make us better but there is something to be said for “inferior talent” that is coached well outperforming better “low iq” type players. As I sour on Wusu, I recollect some of his wild reckless drives last night. Although I wouldn’t put him anywhere near Dawes’ stratosphere.

Now, can we coach well? Jury still out.

I don't think last night had anything to do with lack of effort. The execution and shot making from the arc and the line was terrible.

Conversely, Rutgers uncharacteristically hit their free throws and shots from distance. Credit them for doing last night what they haven't done all year.
I don't think its a lack of effort either.Looks more like a lack of deep,quality talent and an emerging lack of confidence in those who lack truly BE talent.

Again, missed FTs, 3 pters etc is apart of the game. Our biggest issue is over TWO years they don’t buy in and they tune him out..it is obvious..that’s a huge red flag..goes along with other things I’ve heard from basically the beginning.

We are seeing now why people here said SHU wanted no part of him UNTIL “the run” made it impossible to ignore.

He still isn’t through year two but we are non competitive in probably 30-40% of real games over this season plus..that’s outrageous..plus things I’ve heard about perception of program…looks terrible

I generally agree with you, but stop teasing. You've alluded to "other stuff" for a while. Spill the beans.

Looking back at last night, Rutgers didn't beat us, we beat us. Yeah I cringe every time we shoot a 3 which I really do hope improves and always comes in handy, but they really picked a game to break the great foul shooting percentage. There's the game right there. I'd rather see change then hear it's on me and them. We can do better. We really can.

This team is worse than we thought or hoped for.We will likely experience a losing record for the first time in years.

That's inexcusable. That would have been inexcusable from Myles Powell. It certainly shouldn't be excused from Dawes.

Sha was my favorite player in SHU history. I love the guy. And I'm certainly not calling for his job or anything like that, but he has a LOT of work to do. The body language of our guys on the court doesn't impress me. The playcalling doesn't impress me. The shot selection certainly doesn't impress me.

Maybe it's just me and when I choose to focus on it, but Sha doesn't seem to politick the refs too much during the game. It's a fine line for sure, but I always felt that the good ones pushed that as far as they could get away with it. I never seem to see all that much of it from him.

TLDR version; nothing impresses me about this program anymore except for Kadary, and even him....probably the least impressive leader and "best player" we have had in nearly 10 years. No shortage of talent, but I'm not seeing leadership on the court from him or anyone.
Just an outside perspective, I like Sha as your coach. He's a ballsy bastard; don't always love his expressions and antics on the sideline, but he wears his emotions on his sleeve; just the way he played. I think if he keeps building this the way he wants, which seems to be with defense and very fast guards, the Hall should get better. Prior to this recruiting class for RU, Pike grabbed some guys that kind of "middle of the road" recruits and built them up, and I think Sha can/will continue to do that. Give him two more years and see where you're at.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
And we were woefully unprepared for the zone Pike threw at us. As someone commented earlier, it's inexcusable that only our centers were fighting on the offensive boards while the other 4 guys were on the perimeter. Rutgers can't rebound.

Reactions: Piratz
There was NO lack of effort last night. They might have been trying too hard and were too pumped up if anything! RU actually taking and making 3 pointers was shocking to many hoops people. Probably why Dawes was forced to hoist up way too many 3 pointers to try to get them back in the game. He bombed away in more ways than one but he did try.

I said to an acquaintance as we were filing out last night that the honeymoon is officially over.

That doesn't mean the clock is now ticking on the Holloway regime -- there's probably too much money involved for that even if anybody was so inclined. But I think the script flipped from understanding and tolerating a rebuild to openly questioning what we're seeing. The optics of a home loss to your rival in a game that wasn't nearly as close as the final score plays a role there as well.

Certainly the program's decline started near the end of Willard's tenure. Kevin's recruiting dropped off but he was able to paper over the cracks with transfers (where would we be without Kadary right now). That said after Shaheen ran off the returnees he didn't want, this became his team.

Last year the players Shaheen brought in played more minutes per game than the holdovers from Willard's last team. This year, Kadary is the only player remaining who played for Willard.

One thing about the new era of college sports, you can turn over a team very quickly.

Reactions: Piratz
Lol.... Another one who talks a big game to make himself sound important but can't back it up.
It’s my problem you missed the other threads where I’ve discussed my issues with what’s going on? That makes sense

It’s my problem you missed the other threads where I’ve discussed my issues with what’s going on? That makes sense

You haven't. All you've done said you're concerned but never offered any specifics. So, offer them. Let's take this thread alone:

• What are some of the "other things you've heard from the beginning?"
  • Why did people at SH want no part of him?
  • What is the outside perception of the program?

You haven't. All you've done said you're concerned but never offered any specifics. So, offer them. Let's take this thread alone:

• What are some of the "other things you've heard from the beginning?"
  • Why did people at SH want no part of him?
  • What is the outside perception of the program?
I just checked and the thread from 11/25 where I outline, albeit generally, what I’ve heard you LITERALLY posted right under me…good one

I just checked and the thread from 11/25 where I outline, albeit generally, what I’ve heard you LITERALLY posted right under me…good one
Dan has said SHU did not not want him BEFORE the time where he got hot and made it impossible not to take him dozens of times

There were no specifics in your posts, hence why I said you've only alluded to things. I looked at your posting history.

Dan has said SHU did not not want him BEFORE the time where he got hot and made it impossible not to take him dozens of times

I'm not talking about what Dan said. I am probing for YOUR info.

I do say that in jest a bit, but I’d consider starting Sanders/Coleman over Dawes/Wusu. Again, that fundamentally shouldn’t make us better but there is something to be said for “inferior talent” that is coached well outperforming better “low iq” type players. As I sour on Wusu, I recollect some of his wild reckless drives last night. Although I wouldn’t put him anywhere near Dawes’ stratosphere.

Now, can we coach well? Jury still out.
If we keep doing the same things, we can expect the same results. Sometimes watching from the sidelines for guys who are struggling can help bring them back into the game. We might play Coleman and Sanders and see better ball movement and shot selection. We might benefit from some different rotations. Maybe the coach is putting the best guys on the floor just not the right rotations. I like Richmond with Sanders simply because Sanders cannot create his own shot but when Richmond drives to the hole and the defense surrounds him he can dish out to Sanders who gets to catch and shoot. Of course Richmond would need to be looking for him. If we got Sanders 10 and Dre Davis 5 three point shots would they knock down 5 or 6 maybe 7, I believe they would. That is the difference in the game. I get the feeling we are going to see if this works, pressure is on Sha to mix things up.

I'm not talking about what Dan said. I am probing for YOUR info.
Ok you’re right I’m wrong. Better? I’m saying my info like anyone else on this board is Dan saying people at SHU didn’t want him before it became impossible to not take him

And if my post about the assistants/scout/alumn I know aren’t “specific” for you idk what to tell you…to me that’s as specific as it gets without getting nasty on a message board

Saying the LM and JQ stuff isn’t specific either? I had posted that on the trove long long ago too

Saying the LM and JQ stuff isn’t specific either? I had posted that on the trove long long ago too

That was specific, but also nearly a long time ago and has nothing to do with today's topic. Not to mention it was bad info.

If we keep doing the same things, we can expect the same results. Sometimes watching from the sidelines for guys who are struggling can help bring them back into the game. We might play Coleman and Sanders and see better ball movement and shot selection. We might benefit from some different rotations. Maybe the coach is putting the best guys on the floor just not the right rotations. I like Richmond with Sanders simply because Sanders cannot create his own shot but when Richmond drives to the hole and the defense surrounds him he can dish out to Sanders who gets to catch and shoot. Of course Richmond would need to be looking for him. If we got Sanders 10 and Dre Davis 5 three point shots would they knock down 5 or 6 maybe 7, I believe they would. That is the difference in the game. I get the feeling we are going to see if this works, pressure is on Sha to mix things up.
I mean, we’re talking about a shake up against Monmouth. Not UConn.

That’ll be a fun one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT