ADVERTISEMENT

Moving to Phase II

I just got an email advertising a protest in Harrisburg.

I am not posting this to atract attendees. I Xed out the date and time.

"You are welcome to join us on xxxday X/20 @ Noon at the Capitol in Harrisburg, PA for a rally to peacefully protest Governor Wolf and the Economic shut down.

It's time to Re-Open businesses in PA. BYO Gadsden and/or American Flags or make signs with messaging: #FreedomIsEssential or ReOpen PA.

You can stay in your vehicles and drive around Capitol Building or join others on sidewalk areas. Social distancing is encouraged, but not mandated. Wear a face mask if you feel so inclined. This is not about Covid-19 or any political candidates but rather about re-starting our state's economy."

don’t go.

It's not ignorance, it's a valid position.

The people dying are very old and/or have preexisting conditions in the vast majority of cases.

We have 873 deaths in PA and half of those were in nursing homes.

Reactions: shu09
don’t go.
Why not?

I wasn't planning on it but wondering why you would discourage someone from peacefully protesting the government ruining the economy?

You do realize there is a large cohort in this country that are actively discussing the overreach of government and the infringement on civil liberties.

If you read the email, you can stay in your car. You can wear your mask and keep your social distance.

Are you now against peaceful, health-safe protesting?

Last edited:
Reactions: shu09
sales data.

I do not agree on your theory that people are buying booze and not consuming it.

You are guessing that they are not consuming. You also do not have data to prove your guess. I'll take my guess any day.

Now if you apply that theory to guns and ammunition, I would agree. people are stockpiling that.

No consumption data? Or what was the reason your fear-meter?

Sales data is all we will get. And sales will decrease because people stocked up.

Not sure why we are arguing this absurd point. We can check back in a couple months.

Sales data is all we will get. And sales will decrease because people stocked up.

Not sure why we are arguing this absurd point. We can check back in a couple months.
You were the one who was supporting that liquor stores were essential to prevent alcoholics from going to the hospital. I was pointing out that the Michigan governor over reached and had misguided priorities. Not really absurd.

You were the one who was supporting that liquor stores were essential to prevent alcoholics from going to the hospital. I was pointing out that the Michigan governor over reached and had misguided priorities. Not really absurd.

overreached by keeping too many businesses open. Got it.

If we come out of this too early, We will be right back where we are today.

This is not something we can get wrong. The protests are not only stupid, they are actually dangerous.

we are nearing the peak. We can come out of this soon if we don’t **** it up.

The mortality rate is 20x that of the flu at minimum. Probably see closer to 30.

I'm glad you have come around to accepting the numbers that 99% of Americans do not have the virus.

overreached by keeping too many businesses open. Got it
Nice try twisting my words. The point was she was over reaching and putting insane restrictions in place but at the same time leaving lottery kiosk$, liquor store$ and pot store$ open.

overreached by keeping too many businesses open. Got it.

If we come out of this too early, We will be right back where we are today.

This is not something we can get wrong. The protests are not only stupid, they are actually dangerous.

we are nearing the peak. We can come out of this soon if we don’t **** it up.
Yes keeping liquor stores open is nuts. They all should be closed. Because some people have an addiction problem, other people have to go to work when they should be home. Nice.

I have no problem with shutting down but keep people whole. If you’re not going to make me whole I should have the right to do what I need to do to make a living even if it means taking the risk. Politicians don’t give a crap because they’re all still getting paid. If it take a trillion dollars to make people whole so be it. Not one government official is doing anything to reduce their own personal inflow of cash. I was talking to someone today who applied for unemployment 2.5 weeks ago, hasn’t received a dime, and has to pay his real estate taxes soon. How the hell are people supposed to make the payments? He’s ready to go back to work and I don’t blame him.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
I'm glad you have come around to accepting the numbers that 99% of Americans do not have the virus.

Not sure what you are talking about. I’m well aware of the statistics. I’ve never suggested more were currently infected.

though... you did say “the death rate isn't much more than the flu”

For the number dead from the virus as of today... if this were the flu, about 40 million would have it.

There are probably about 1.5 million infected right now. I’d that gets to 40 million because we come out before we are ready, we will approach a million dead from the virus.

Not sure what you are talking about. I’m well aware of the statistics. I’ve never suggested more were currently infected.

For the number dead from the virus as of today... if this were the flu, about 40 million would have it.

There are probably about 1.5 million infected right now. I’d that gets to 40 million because we come out before we are ready, we will approach a million dead from the virus.

If the death rate is what you say it is (20-30x the flu), then the reported number of total cases accurate and only 1% of Americans have even contracted the virus.

Yes keeping liquor stores open is nuts. They all should be closed. Because some people have an addiction problem, other people have to go to work when they should be home. Nice.

I have no problem with shutting down but keep people whole. If you’re not going to make me whole I should have the right to do what I need to do to make a living even if it means taking the risk. Politicians don’t give a crap because they’re all still getting paid. If it take a trillion dollars to make people whole so be it. Not one government official is doing anything to reduce their own personal inflow of cash. I was talking to someone today who applied for unemployment 2.5 weeks ago and has to pay his real estate taxes soon. How the hell are people supposed to make the payments? He’s ready to go back to work.

Said over a month ago we should do basic income for a period of months to save our economy. Any politician against that is a jackass.

If the death rate is what you say it is (20-30x the flu), then the reported number of total cases accurate and only 1% of Americans have even contracted the virus.

Probably less that 1% BECAUSE WE ARE ALL STAYING HOME! how are you not getting that?

Probably less that 1% BECAUSE WE ARE ALL STAYING HOME! how are you not getting that?

You just said 1.5 million people probably have it and will grow to 40 million if we "come out of it." That is simply not true. What are we supposed to do, live like this until July?

I know, it's tough keeping track of all your nonsense. I'll cut you a break on this one.

Reactions: Pirata
Said over a month ago we should do basic income for a period of months to save our economy. Any politician against that is a jackass.
Disagree with that. You have a house with real estate taxes of 25k. I have a house with real estate taxes 9k. You bust your ass to make the income to live in your town, I make less but don’t have the same bills as you and we get the same amount under a basic income program? Doesn’t make sense to me. You’re getting screwed and I’m taking advantage of the system. You’ve paid more taxes than me and now you need help from the system and they’re not going to come through for you...that’s crappy.

You just said 1.5 million people probably have it and will grow to 40 million if we "come out of it." That is simply not true. What are we supposed to do, live like this until July?

I know, it's tough keeping track of all your nonsense. I'll cut you a break on this one.

yeah 1.5 million if we assume a mortality rate of about 2.5%.

1% would mean over 3 million are infected. We are likely somewhere in between there.

I said if we come out too soon, it will be a problem. The 40 million was a compassion for your flu numbers to show you that it is not close like you were saying.

I though sometime in may would be reasonable to start opening things back up based on the trends. That still seems reasonable. Watch the trends for the next few days and if it looks like we are on the way down, plan to open up by May 17.

Disagree with that. You have a house with real estate taxes of 25k. I have a house with real estate taxes 9k. You bust your ass to make the income to live in your town, I make less but don’t have the same bills as you and we get the same amount under a basic income program? Doesn’t make sense to me. You’re getting screwed and I’m taking advantage of the system. You’ve paid more taxes than me and now you need help from the system and they’re not going to come through for you...that’s crappy.

Would show we are all in this together and we can help rebuild the economy if those who need it use it for necessities and those who don’t reinvest back into the economy.

It’s beyond helping people pay bills. We need to spend to help save/ create jobs.

consumer confidence is going to be low coming out of this. If the government creates some certainty with cash payments for 3 months, that would keep people working.

Would show we are all in this together and we can help rebuild the economy if those who need it use it for necessities and those who don’t reinvest back into the economy.

It’s beyond helping people pay bills. We need to spend to help save/ create jobs.

consumer confidence is going to be low coming out of this. If the government creates some certainty with cash payments for 3 months, that would keep people working.
Pay people for 3 months is fine but a basic income plan from my understanding is we all get paid the same. That doesn’t make everyone whole. Pay me for 3 months but pay what you have on file for me. So a big part of rebuilding the economy is the people having confidence that they can get back to normal. Racking up debt from not having the income to pay bills will not help rebuild the economy quickly.

Pay people for 3 months is fine but a basic income plan from my understanding is we all get paid the same. That doesn’t make everyone whole. Pay me for 3 months but pay what you have on file for me. So a big part of rebuilding the economy is the people having confidence that they can get back to normal. Racking up debt from not having the income to pay bills will not help rebuild the economy quickly.
If half of the new unemployment cases come back by q1 or q2 in 2021 that would be good. I just feel in certain industries jobs are now permanently eliminated also in certain industries companies are gonna look at whats left on their payrolls and realize it isnt worth their while to have certain people taking up high 5 figure and low 6 figure salaries...a lot of this will be profit margin

So if I understand your post here...if we do nothing we’d have 1 million fatalities, but the models now show it will be about 60k, but you’ve consistently been raling on Trumps Adminstration for not doing enough or not listening. Which one is it? By your math they seem to be doing a great job.

If half of the new unemployment cases come back by q1 or q2 in 2021 that would be good. I just feel in certain industries jobs are now permanently eliminated also in certain industries companies are gonna look at whats left on their payrolls and realize it isnt worth their while to have certain people taking up high 5 figure and low 6 figure salaries...a lot of this will be profit margin
Some industries are screwed no doubt about it, but politicians should do everything they can to keep people confident. However some industries are needed that people are going to avoid if they rack up too much debt now. Pay people their normal wages now and you may keep for example landscapers and painters busy this summer. If people rack up too much debt, they’ll mow their own lawn and delay painting their houses until the have their finances under control. By not making people whole you make those industries take longer to get back up and running.

So if I understand your post here...if we do nothing we’d have 1 million fatalities, but the models now show it will be about 60k, but you’ve consistently been raling on Trumps Adminstration for not doing enough or not listening. Which one is it? By your math they seem to be doing a great job.

I have not been railing on the administration at all.
Trump specifically because of his rhetoric and the fact that he downplayed this and made it worse than it needed to be? Absolutely.

On the response otherwise? I’ve been fair.

I have not been railing on the administration at all.
Trump specifically because of his rhetoric and the fact that he downplayed this and made it worse than it needed to be? Absolutely.

On the response otherwise? I’ve been fair.
How did his rhetoric effect the results. I don’t watch him so I’d like your opinion on that.

How did his rhetoric effect the results. I don’t watch him so I’d like your opinion on that.

Downplaying this early on led to people not taking it seriously enough for weeks. A crucial time period while the virus was spreading and certain people here were putting spread in quotes because they thought it was only a N.Y. and WA problem.

Downplaying this early on led to people not taking it seriously enough for weeks. A crucial time period while the virus was spreading and certain people here were putting spread in quotes because they thought it was only a N.Y. and WA problem.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo

So no different than Fauci, Pelosi and DeBlasio who all downplayed it.

Reactions: SPK145
So no different than Fauci, Pelosi and DeBlasio who all downplayed it.

very different from Fauci as I explained earlier, Fauci is able to pivot as he learns new information. Trump doubles down.

I don’t like Deblasio or Pelosi. I thought Deblasio was bad early on. No idea what you’re referring to with Pelosi downplaying though. Not really sure why we are playing whataboutism with them.

Look, in certain moments we look to the president for leadership. We didn’t need much. Just someone to say we don’t know but let’s take it seriously until we do.

very different from Fauci as I explained earlier, Fauci is able to pivot as he learns new information. Trump doubles down.

I don’t like Deblasio or Pelosi. I thought Deblasio was bad early on. No idea what you’re referring to with Pelosi downplaying though. Not really sure why we are playing whataboutism with them.

Look, in certain moments we look to the president for leadership. We didn’t need much. Just someone to say we don’t know but let’s take it seriously until we do.

Trump has pivoted as he learned more, informed by Fauci and Birx. He's been taking it seriously for a month now.

Pelosi is on camera at the end of February saying Chinatown (SF) was safe and encouraged people to visit. This is after cases started cropping up on the west coast.

Nice to see you're quoting a political hack. Get better sources, everyone knows Trump is a buffoon and just says different things day to day. The important talk comes from the people actually running the response: Pence, Birx, Fauci, etc.

Sources? I don’t know who that guy is but It’s a video or Trump and Fauci talking.

the important talk comes from other people TO YOU... there are millions of people who tune them out and only listen to Trump.

A guy straight up killed himself because he took Chloroquine because of Trump. His words matter.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Except

First of all, no one is getting hospitalized right now with alcohol withdrawal. If you go to any ER in NJ, NY or PA, only the most serious cases are allowed to enter, much less get admitted. Anything that’s non life threatening is diverted to a subacute or ambulatory care setting. Most hospitals have separated their ER into two sections. One for Kovatch patients and one triaging other cases and diverting them. So the thought that it Is going to overburden the hospitals is a pure fallacy. Amazing that you can’t see that. As I said before, liquor stores are closed in Pennsylvania and they have a Democratic governor. This is just a pure money gram.

No one is going to an ED right now period, unless it’s COVID, or truly life threatening. Although ED’s are even seeing a lot less if them.

which also means a lot of people are suffering with an ailment at home now...or dying at home.

How many here are infected and don't know it yet?
How many did the just infect?
How many will die as a result of these people not understanding that distance is our ONLY way to prevent this virus right now?

There are going to be more and more of these idiotic demonstrations.

Fauci is the least of our problems. For the most part, he has spoken facts

Based on the size of the crowd, my guess it's less than the number of homicides in Chicago.

Yeah Dr Oz put this in perspective... he said an “appetizing” idea is sending kids back to school because after all only 2-3% will die.
Uh huh.

so I assume many posters here have kids... and we have at least 100 posters... so we’re all good Playing Russian roulette with our kids, “for the good of the economy”?

just checking.
As for me... no

Trump has pivoted as he learned more, informed by Fauci and Birx. He's been taking it seriously for a month now.

Pelosi is on camera at the end of February saying Chinatown (SF) was safe and encouraged people to visit. This is after cases started cropping up on the west coast.

Yep she was wrong then. Quite a bit changed after Feb 24th though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT