ADVERTISEMENT

Moving to Phase II

because the Cigar lobby is too strong compared to the cigarette lobby? Lol... come on. I have no idea why. Never looked into it.

Agree on lottery. Explained liquor stores already.

As a cigar smoker and never a cigarette smoker but someone who grew up with chain smoking Camel smokers, I can tell you smoking a cigar is far different from a cigarette. For one, unless you want to heave, don’t inhale a cigar

So liquor sales are up 55% in March BUT liquor compromises your immune system. Seems like we are accelerating putting people at risk...but the alcoholics...

Keep in mind, and restaurants are closed. So overall consumption may be down. No way to tell

It's not ignorance, it's a valid position.

Have we been bamboozled on this? Hospitals are not overwhelmed (the stated reason for the shutdown). The people dying are very old and/or have preexisting conditions in the vast majority of cases. Either the virus is very widespread with many asymptomatic carriers, or 99% of Americans don't have it (you can't have it both ways). In either case, that is good news as if many people have it, the death rate isn't much more than the flu or other ILI. If the stated numbers are correct, then the vast majority of Americans don't have it.

Whoa. Hospitals are not overwhelmed??

If you believe that, you have no idea what is going on. I mean absolute zero.
Hospitals are filled with hardly anything except COVID patients. There are no elective patients plus emergency room volumes are cut as half.
Plus many of these COVID patients are in ICU level of care, at volumes we’ll above normal and capacity.

Whoa. Hospitals are not overwhelmed??

If you believe that, you have no idea what is going on. I mean absolute zero.
Hospitals are filled with hardly anything except COVID patients. There are no elective patients plus emergency room volumes are cut as half.
Plus many of these COVID patients are in ICU level of care, at volumes we’ll above normal and capacity.

There are no elective patients because those procedures have been banned by executive order. Hospitals are not overwhelmed. Overwhelmed means they are far over capacity and cannot handle it. That is simply not the case.

It's not ignorance, it's a valid position.

Have we been bamboozled on this? Hospitals are not overwhelmed (the stated reason for the shutdown). The people dying are very old and/or have preexisting conditions in the vast majority of cases. Either the virus is very widespread with many asymptomatic carriers, or 99% of Americans don't have it (you can't have it both ways). In either case, that is good news as if many people have it, the death rate isn't much more than the flu or other ILI. If the stated numbers are correct, then the vast majority of Americans don't have it.[/QUOTE

That is totally inaccurate. The “confirmed” rate is probably 35% to 50% of the actual number at best.
But forgetting that, this disease is killing as many people, and in fact likely more, than flu. But in a very condensed timeframe. It’s only been 30 days or so since the shutdown.
And by the way, the shutdown will be the reason that the original projections are not met.
Let’s hope

There are no elective patients because those procedures have been banned by executive order. Hospitals are not overwhelmed. Overwhelmed means they are far over capacity and cannot handle it. That is simply not the case.

Really? You work in a hospital?

i know you don’t. It’s painfully obvious.
They are WAY overwhelmed.
Here, I’m afraid, you don’t have a clue.

Really? You work in a hospital?

i know you don’t. It’s painfully obvious.
They are WAY overwhelmed.
Here, I’m afraid, you don’t have a clue.
Actually you’re both correct. ICU volume is up but overall hospital census is way down. Many hospitals in this area which is considered a hot spot have shut down entire floors and units. They have also furloughed caregivers and support people that are not directly involved with COVID patients.

We are seeing a lot in the news about temporary hospitals (which was good emergency planning), but they are not being used. In addition to Javitts and the navy ship, Atlantic City Convention Center, East Stroudsburg University and an arena in Philadelphia. None of that is happening right now.

Reactions: shu09 and Piratz
Keep in mind, and restaurants are closed. So overall consumption may be down. No way to tell
Actually that’s even more concerning because if overall alcohol sales are up in spite of restaurants and bars being closed, that must mean personal consumer purchases are up even more.

He ingested fish tank cleaner. The president touted hydroxychloroquine, a drug used to treat lupus and malaria.

You can't fix stupid.

First, can we agree that the president should not be pushing pharmaceuticals? Leave that to people who understand what they are talking about?

Chloroquine phosphate is used as a drug for malaria In parts of the world.

https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/resources/pdf/fsp/drugs/chloroquine.pdf

Trump did talk about Chloroquine as well as hydroxychloroquine and we accepted donations of both drugs as potential Covid treatment.

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2020...ossible-treatments-for-covid-19-patients.html

Yes. There are many stupid people in this world. Many of them listen to the president. Because of that, a couple ingested fish tank cleaner and many others will gather in crowds protesting their government and many of them will die as well. Can’t fix stupid, but the words the president uses matter.

Sure, words matter, and I don’t excuse the President for his choice of words. But his words (or the stupid words by DiBlasio or Pelosi and others), are not nearly as critical as the actions we are taking to limit cases and fatalities.

Dr. Birx had an interesting chart yesterday that showed our fatalities per 100,000 were at around 11 while other advanced countries (Spain, France, Germany, etc) were in the 30’s and 40’s). Her point is that we have been in conversations with these other countries and our actions take that into account.

It will be interesting to do a look back and analyze the data retrospectively.

Yeah Dr Oz put this in perspective... he said an “appetizing” idea is sending kids back to school because after all only 2-3% will die.
Uh huh.

so I assume many posters here have kids... and we have at least 100 posters... so we’re all good Playing Russian roulette with our kids, “for the good of the economy”?

just checking.
As for me... no

So your saying you don't drive a car?

Actually you’re both correct. ICU volume is up but overall hospital census is way down. Many hospitals in this area which is considered a hot spot have shut down entire floors and units. They have also furloughed caregivers and support people that are not directly involved with COVID patients.

We are seeing a lot in the news about temporary hospitals (which was good emergency planning), but they are not being used. In addition to Javitts and the navy ship, Atlantic City Convention Center, East Stroudsburg University and an arena in Philadelphia. None of that is happening right now.

This. It’s a regional, rolling pandemic. Hospitals in hotspots NYC/NJ were surely going to be overwhelmed as an aggregate and some definitely have been on an individual basis, but they offset that by doing things you outlined. Essentially they went COVID only, which helped those numbers on capacity relative to normal times.

Javits is being used. ~250 beds in use. Not sure about the others. The Navy ship did take 1-200 patients from NYC hospitals.

The distancing really helped to push the numbers down bc people aren’t getting hit with the major viral load for the past 5 weeks. We’ll see what happens in other areas seeded, behind NY/NJ timeline and opening (like FLA) if they surge within next 2 weeks. That’ll be a telltale sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Missed the part where Joe said a travel ban was racist. Also great there are so many quotes from Joe end of February and Trump early February. A little misleading. Also curious how many people normally come from China over the course of 6 weeks. Did Trump let in 40,000 when Joe would’ve let in a million? Or is 40,000 equivalent to a normal amount coming in over that time. I think that makes a huge difference.

Missed the part where Joe said a travel ban was racist. Also great there are so many quotes from Joe end of February and Trump early February. A little misleading. Also curious how many people normally come from China over the course of 6 weeks. Did Trump let in 40,000 when Joe would’ve let in a million? Or is 40,000 equivalent to a normal amount coming in over that time. I think that makes a huge difference.

In a strange way, COVID is low-hanging political fruit. It’s easy. You can nail Trump, Biden, Pelosi, nearly everyone with sound bites. It’s a bloodbath. As the President, Trump’s China comments look very bad now. As if we got swindled by China.

But above all, can Biden look competent?!! Without that, does anything else he campaigns on matter?

In a strange way, COVID is low-hanging political fruit. It’s easy. You can nail Trump, Biden, Pelosi, nearly everyone with sound bites. It’s a bloodbath.

But above all, can Biden look competent?!! Without that, does anything else he campaigns on matter?
Agree. I think it’s stupidity to use this topic because they all have egg on their face. It’s not like this is a topic Trump can’t hit back hard. In the clip you will find the 2 sentences Joe put together. So there he looks good. Not sure how much more digging they’re going to do to find more of those.

In a strange way, COVID is low-hanging political fruit. It’s easy. You can nail Trump, Biden, Pelosi, nearly everyone with sound bites. It’s a bloodbath. As the President, Trump’s China comments look very bad now. As if we got swindled by China.

This is Biden’s predicament. If his come back line when asked what would he have done is “I wouldn’t do what Trump did”, he is dead in the water.

I think if John Kelly was chief of staff things would have been a little different. He warned Trump early on and told him he would be impeached if he kept acting the way he was and he was right. When Kelly left I got worried because the real adults who could reason with Trump and push better decisions left the room. No one knows for sure but if Kelly was in the room I bet things would be just a little bit better in how this admin handled things during this pandemic.

Stop fear-mongering and get some facts. Vents are at 53% capacity, net hospitalizations are plateauing or even dropping in some instances.

https://covid19.nj.gov/#live-updates

You have no idea what you’re talking about. You see numbers you don’t see the true story.
I’ve invited you to go to a hospital to see but yourself.
Just stop. You’re now insulting those healthcare workers putting their lives on the line. That’s unacceptable

You have no idea what you’re talking about. You see numbers you don’t see the true story.
I’ve invited you to go to a hospital to see but yourself.
Just stop. You’re now insulting those healthcare workers putting their lives on the line. That’s unacceptable

A full hospital is NOT an overwhelmed hospital. When the numbers don't work out for you, just resort to personal attacks! You're really adding a lot to this conversation. :rolleyes:

Insulting health workers. hahahaha!

Sure, words matter, and I don’t excuse the President for his choice of words. But his words (or the stupid words by DiBlasio or Pelosi and others), are not nearly as critical as the actions we are taking to limit cases and fatalities.

Dr. Birx had an interesting chart yesterday that showed our fatalities per 100,000 were at around 11 while other advanced countries (Spain, France, Germany, etc) were in the 30’s and 40’s). Her point is that we have been in conversations with these other countries and our actions take that into account.

Birx was hunting for a stat that shows we are better than other countries. It’s a pretty dumb one to be honest. We are weeks behind them because it was there first.

2 weeks ago the US was at 2 and France was at 11.

We’re now at 12 and France is at 30.
What has France done in the last 2 weeks to only grow 3x since then when we are up 6x.

and yes, that is rhetorical. It’s not a good comparison and we may end up the same as the other countries soon. The benefit we have is that we got to see it happening there first.
New Jersey is at 45. New York over 70.

A full hospital is NOT an overwhelmed hospital. When the numbers don't work out for you, just resort to personal attacks! You're really adding a lot to this conversation. :rolleyes:

Insulting health workers. hahahaha!

Ok I’ll try one more time. Since you believe in the almighty number as the end all let’s see if you follow this.
I don’t know whether you actually attend Seton Hall games or just watch on tv but for those if us that do attend, this will make sense.
How many November and December games is announced attendance 8,000 or 9,000? Plenty. for those of us at the game however we know far better that there were actually less than half that number in attendance.

So, would you insist the attendance was 9,000? I guess if you didn’t actually go to see it for yourself you wouldn’t know better. But if you actually went to see it, you would know the truth.

And by the way, a “full hospital” as you put it is not equal just because the numbers say so. A hospital full of clean elective surgical cases is a very different hospital than one full of nothing but critical care patients.
But

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
I’ll give you an interesting view from several folks I serve on a board with who are from Sweden and Norway. We had our scheduled meeting yesterday (telephonic), and at a break I asked them about a segment that was on the news this week Comparing the restrictions that Norway and Sweden have put in place. Sweden has not shut anything down although they are setting guidelines for capacity in restaurants and cafés etc. They have the same fatality rate as in the US. Norway has imposed very strict guidelines. Their mortality rate is lower but infection rate much higher than the US.

One director who saw the piece and who lives in Sweden said their government view was to give guidance and let people use their common sense. I asked her about the crowded restaurants and cafés that were shown by the MSM outlet. She laughed and said that public meeting spaces are very sparsely attended and those are not current shots. Hmmmm.

Fact check

Fatality rate
Sweden 10.7%
US 5.2%
Norway 2.3%

Total Recorded Deaths
US 39651 (Highest in the world)
Sweden 1540 (13th highest)
Norway 165 (39th highest)

Deaths per one million population
Sweden 152 (11th highest in the world )
US 120 (13th highest)
Norway 30 (28th highest)

Total cases
US ~742,000 (Highest in the world)
Sweden 14385 (21st in the world)
Norway 7078 (33rd in the world)

In conclusion:
1. Swedes are getting infected at twice the rate of Norway
2. Swedes are dying at four times the rate of Norway and twice the rate of the US.
3. I hope your friends are better at whatever they do on this "board" than they are at understanding how the coronavirus is affecting their country)
4. You should introduce your friends to Skype or Zoom or even Facetime. "Telephonic" conferences seem so 1970's
5. It's not so much that you are wrong all the time, it is your ability to state errors that are easily fact checked that puts you in a class by yourself.

Fact check

Fatality rate
Sweden 10.7%
US 5.2%
Norway 2.3%

Total Recorded Deaths
US 39651 (Highest in the world)
Sweden 1540 (13th highest)
Norway 165 (39th highest)

Deaths per one million population
Sweden 152 (11th highest in the world )
US 120 (13th highest)
Norway 30 (28th highest)

Total cases
US ~742,000 (Highest in the world)
Sweden 14385 (21st in the world)
Norway 7078 (33rd in the world)

In conclusion:
1. Swedes are getting infected at twice the rate of Norway
2. Swedes are dying at four times the rate of Norway and twice the rate of the US.
3. I hope your friends are better at whatever they do on this "board" than they are at understanding how the coronavirus is affecting their country)
4. You should introduce your friends to Skype or Zoom or even Facetime. "Telephonic" conferences seem so 1970's
5. It's not so much that you are wrong all the time, it is your ability to state errors that are easily fact checked that puts you in a class by yourself.
So more lies from the MSM because that’s where those “facts” were reported. Thanks for playing troll.

So more lies from the MSM because that’s where those “facts” were reported. Thanks for playing troll.

Lol... those are the real numbers.

Sweden would appear to be underreported by quite a bit. They are not doing a good job testing there compared to their neighbors.

I wouldn’t praise their rates of reported cases when there is a 10% mortality rate right now there. They are probably about 5x under reported and unfortunately the death toll there will be much higher than their neighbors as well in a few weeks. They will eventually recognize they made a mistake.

These are not my numbers, nor numbers from the MSM. They come from the following website.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Each number they report is sourced from a government website. Do you try to be wrong all the time or does it come naturally for you?

These are not my numbers, nor numbers from the MSM. They come from the following website.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Each number they report is sourced from a government website. Do you try to be wrong all the time or does it come naturally for you?
Reading comprehension a problem for you? I wasn’t challenging your numbers. The MSM news report I cited stated that US and Sweden were similar, which they obviously aren’t. More MSM fake news. Once again just shows I’m right about the MSM. Keep trolling and failing. You’re consistent.

Reading comprehension a problem for you? I wasn’t challenging your numbers. The MSM news report I cited stated that US and Sweden were similar, which they obviously aren’t. More MSM fake news. Once again just shows I’m right about the MSM. Keep trolling and failing. You’re consistent.

Please don't be upset with me. I can't help that your towering intellect can't reach down to my level of comprehension. Just so I can improve myself, do you have "friends", "colleagues", "dry cleaners" or "experts" in other parts of the world that will help me understand how the MSM is distorting coverage? You have South Korea, Eastern Europe and Scandinavia well covered but with 210 countries reporting cases of the virus, that leave lots of room for more anecdotes.

Please don't be upset with me. I can't help that your towering intellect can't reach down to my level of comprehension. Just so I can improve myself, do you have "friends", "colleagues", "dry cleaners" or "experts" in other parts of the world that will help me understand how the MSM is distorting coverage? You have South Korea, Eastern Europe and Scandinavia well covered but with 210 countries reporting cases of the virus, that leave lots of room for more anecdotes.
All personal attacks...Lol...keep trolling:)

Last edited:
Ok I’ll try one more time. Since you believe in the almighty number as the end all let’s see if you follow this.
I don’t know whether you actually attend Seton Hall games or just watch on tv but for those if us that do attend, this will make sense.
How many November and December games is announced attendance 8,000 or 9,000? Plenty. for those of us at the game however we know far better that there were actually less than half that number in attendance.

So, would you insist the attendance was 9,000? I guess if you didn’t actually go to see it for yourself you wouldn’t know better. But if you actually went to see it, you would know the truth.

And by the way, a “full hospital” as you put it is not equal just because the numbers say so. A hospital full of clean elective surgical cases is a very different hospital than one full of nothing but critical care patients.
But

Let's hear it for false equivalencies!

Just to put another topic out here. Don't you guys just think its silly that people pushing for professional/college sports seasons right now? I mean we are all big Seton Hall basketball fans but I am 99% positive there won't and shouldn't be a season next year even with no fans. Realistically there won't be a vaccine until late 2021 or early 2022 to the public. Also, many colleges will have virtual learning in fall 2020. Basketball teams won't be on campus until January 2021. If I had a kid playing any college sport I would not be comfortable with he or she playing. If the season starts, what happens once the first athlete tests positive? You will have to quarantine that whole team and any teams that individual played. Plus how about if that individual spreads the virus to vulnerable people such as coaching staff or referees? There will no sports in 2020 and probably 2021 too. We are in this for the long haul folks. Just my two cents. You are literally putting lives at risk if sports begin again.

Last edited:
As I mentioned in the other thread, you have to look beyond just the vaccine. Testing will be widely available very soon...even in-home tests. And there will be treatments available in the next few months that are already being trialed. I don’t share your extreme view.

As I mentioned in the other thread, you have to look beyond just the vaccine. Testing will be widely available very soon...even in-home tests. And there will be treatments available in the next few months that are already being trialed. I don’t share your extreme view.

All fair questions to ask but I agree with that. If we get there on testing and treatment, we should hopefully be ok.

I don’t think things get back to “normal” for a while. There may be recommendations if you have underlying health conditions that you should not attend large gatherings until there is a vaccine. Everyone will he asked to wear a mask for a while.

I’m not sure how we will handle a player that tests positive. It’s a good question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT